Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

I walked past it the other evening. It seemed out of place, like many of the glossy eating/drinking places one sees in Pattaya these days, or the upmarket opticians and shoe-shops.

There was no one inside and when I looked at the prices on the menu I think I understood why.

Though what do I know? Linda's round the corner has been full for several evenings with people paying God knows how much to eat on a terrace 2 yards from a 4-lane expressway, and someone has just fitted out a flash Italian pizza place next door to that. They'll never see me in those either.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I walked past it the other evening. It seemed out of place, like many of the glossy eating/drinking places one sees in Pattaya these days, or the upmarket opticians and shoe-shops.

There was no one inside and when I looked at the prices on the menu I think I understood why.

Though what do I know? Linda's round the corner has been full for several evenings with people paying God knows how much to eat on a terrace 2 yards from a 4-lane expressway, and someone has just fitted out a flash Italian pizza place next door to that. They'll never see me in those either.

But they will see you outside a 7-11 munching on a 20 baht hot dog drinking an Archa beer! licklips.gifrolleyes.gif

Yes but your thriftiness is well known and is not indicative of the general population and thank god for that.

It was busy when i went there the other day and most tourists would consider it cheap for what you get. I certainly do. There was four of us the other night and on top of the food we ordered we had three margaritas and the total bill was 1200 baht which is 300 baht each or about 10 dollars a head.

Edited by Tolley

We were visited by a writer who writes a food column. I am posting the review here, because he specifically mentions the soft corn tortillas. I had known he had tried the quesadillas, but I had not known that he also had the soft corn. He would have recieved it just like any other customer ordering them. We were very busy that night, and glad to see that I think the service held up that night.

http://inpattayanow.com/2011/12/24/inside-pattaya/it-aint-houston-but-its-great-tex-mex/

Took my wife to Pan Pan last night. They were busy at 9pm, and I could feel for the staff. Our starter arrived after the main, nobody gave us cloth knapkins, etc. Did we get upset? No, we laughed and thanked God it wasn't us on the floor. Would we go back despite the minor glitches. Yes! We love dining out, despite seeing all the good, bad and the ugly.

The "food writer" simply said

I opted for soft, corn tacos.

He mentioned them, yes. That is all. In a PR publication. Not the New York Times.

I humbly suggest restaurants can get better information from customers, the ones who pay the bills. Also keep in mind that in person customers are often polite and lie to owners about how great everything is, so the feedback here is potentially even better (as in more sincere).

Edited by Jingthing

But they will see you outside a 7-11 munching on a 20 baht hot dog drinking an Archa beer!

I can be seen regularly on Beach Rd (previously Pattaya Beach Rd, now Jomtien Beach Rd) drinking beer from 7/11. I have one every evening as part of my stroll. But it isnt Archa and I certainly wouldnt ever eat any sort of hotdog or hamburger from anywhere, no matter how cheap or expensive they were.

But they will see you outside a 7-11 munching on a 20 baht hot dog drinking an Archa beer!

I can be seen regularly on Beach Rd (previously Pattaya Beach Rd, now Jomtien Beach Rd) drinking beer from 7/11. I have one every evening as part of my stroll. But it isnt Archa and I certainly wouldnt ever eat any sort of hotdog or hamburger from anywhere, no matter how cheap or expensive they were.

Sorry Darrel - I was under the impression you were tighter than a ducks ar_e, not a health food nut!laugh.png

What's all this got to do with price of tacos in Chengdu?

crazy.gif

Sorry JT, I was just online waiting for your scathing reply to the Pattayanow food critic for writing that Sunrise Tacos had TEX-MEX food (not Cali-Tex). After 638 posts I thought we needed some diversion and I couldn't resist Darrels frugality. jap.gif

Sorry Darrel - I was under the impression you were tighter than a ducks ar_e, not a health food nut!laugh.png

Darrel and a friend invented copper wire...they were fighting over a penny.

I found a couple interesting quotes in that review article:

" Another [sunrise] branch is slated to open in North Pattaya in the near future."

"Before we ordered, we were presented with a basket of homemade corn chips with salsa." -- I can't be arsed to go back and look, but ISTR someone lamenting the lack of complimentary chips. Is this a new development?

I don't think they are generally giving free chips. Some main course items do come with a small side of chips an option (or take small salad) as per the menu. If you are a known food reviewer from the Pattaya "press" or a big party ordering lots of Margaritas, your mileage may vary. Nobody said the restaurant business is a democracy, so I'm not whining, just observing.

I suggested before that they give ALL tables a small order of free chips to whet the appetite and stimulate larger order of chips but I do not believe this suggestion has been adopted. From a business point of view, can't really fault them, if they don't give it, some people will order a large portion or another appetizer that perhaps they may have not otherwise. From a CUSTOMERS point of view, I am sure almost all of us would appreciate a free teaser portion of chips.

All we can do is ask. It's a business decision.

It's interesting that some of us consider this place overpriced and some a bargain. I think perhaps Americans spoiled by world class Mexican food for pennies find it dear but Australians for example where Mexican food is more exotic don't think so. As someone who finds it kind of overpriced (90 baht plus plus, that adds up to THREE DOLLARS AND 35/100 to add a little guacamole to a burrito!!!!angry.pngcrazy.gifangry.png , OK that is a whine) I especially think the free small chips would be a nice gesture.

Edited by Jingthing

I found a couple interesting quotes in that review article:

"Before we ordered, we were presented with a basket of homemade corn chips with salsa." -- I can't be arsed to go back and look, but ISTR someone lamenting the lack of complimentary chips. Is this a new development?

The free chips at one Mexican restaurant chain in Chiang Mai and Bangkok are pretty much tasteless and have a hard texture and IMO are not worth the calories. One can not complain when they are free, but I do not eat them and if one had to pay, it would be a crime.

I have not been able to find any good ones made in Thailand although there are one or two companies in Bangkok that make them commercially that are (barely) acceptable. No one is going to pay to buy these and then give them to customers for nothing.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I kind of like the Sunrise chips. Like their hard and soft corn tacos, they are VERY gritty, so not really traditional, but I think that works for chips and crispy taco shells. Forget to mention, good flavor and not greasy. (I don't think soft corn tortillas should be gritty!)

Here's a positive suggestion: how about offering TWO kinds of soft corn tortillas on the assumption that some people actually prefer dry & gritty soft corn tortillas?

Dry & gritty crying.gif so called "soft" ones as offered now and traditional/authentic/pleasant/deliciously non-grittylicklips.gif ?

http://sftc.bizhosti..._tortillas.html

Wouldn't it be great to hear comments like this about the really soft corn tortillas at Sunrise?

Our corn tortillas are soft and moist, not dry and gritty.

You can actually finish your taco without the tortilla breaking in half...you know what I mean.

Edited by Jingthing

Not exactly.

Jingthing wrote:

Someone who says this:

An an ex-Los Angeles native, who has often traveled in Mexico as well as to East LA, to enjoy the ambiance and food,

I've been completely disappointed in 10-years of trying any place in Pattaya which made anything even close to Mexican food!

clearly knows something!

I'm not on the board often, and my earlier comments need clarification.

While I've yet only experienced Sunrise's tacos, I should have better clarified my earlier comment

to read as follows:

Of the Mexican food I thus far experience in Thailand, Sunrise provides the best I had, yet

it is...out of necessity...tailored to suit a wide range of clientele tastes. For example, their

sauces are quite mild, compared to those available in Mexico. I doubt few tourists could handle consuming

a true habenero pepper sauce and to a lesser degree jalapeno peppers, without calling the fire dept.

Also, traditionally, in tacos Al Pastor, the pineapple is not normally fresh chunks, it is normally cooked with the

beef (etc) as it enhances the flavor. And, though I like them, tacos with crispy corn tortillas I think are an

American (Tex-Mex) creation; whereas soft tacos dominate most of Mexico.

That said, it won't stop me from enjoying Sunrise and look forward to having some of their entrees.

Agreed with most of what you said. Yes, their salsas are not hot enough. Their super hot tastes more like BBQ sauce than salsa and a real chili head would laugh at it. And the soft corn tortillas, well I've said enough about that! Yes, crispy tacos are Tex-Mex, nothing wrong with that for what it is.

I disagree that there isn't an audience here for more authentically Mexican tasting very hot salsas. Among expats and potentially Thais. For example, where is the salsa fresca with fresh hot jalapeno? (Instead they have this stewed stuff.) What they do have at least offers good variety and is tops for Pattaya and acceptable enough.

I disagree about the pineapple. In my experience at dedicated al pastor taco shops, there is fresh fruit cooked on top of the meat wheel, and they would slice off a portion of the fresh fruit (cooked on top of the meat) onto the taco. Clearly, not saying Sunrise is doing that way, I think their fruit is more like a Mexican chutney which really isn't authentic, but it is OK.

http://www.batista.org/pastor.html

Edited by Jingthing

Back in my poverty stricken days as a self-supporting uni student, I literally subsisted through most of my college years by living on purchased "happy hour" strawberry margaritas and free tortilla chips and quite tasty salsa fresca offered by my local sit-down Mexican restaurant near the campus.

That was in the U.S. of course. If a customer came in for sit-down service, the restaurant staff would deliver a large plastic basket of tortilla chips and a smaller bowl of accompanying salsa... We'd rarely order food... But we did order a lot of margaritas... And the chips and salsa kept coming as much as we wanted and could eat. After all, have to have something to go with the margaritas... No charge for the chips and salsa.

I never tried, as some might fear happening here, walking in and ordering a bottle of water or a soda... and then expecting to eat free chips and salsa all afternoon. When we ordered margaritas, it usually was by the pitcherful... And the restaurant staff never seemed to mind refilling the chips and salsa bowls... That was the norm. drunk.gif

Of course, that was a different time, and a different place... And certainly not Pattaya... (And nobody much spoke Russian where I attended university...) ph34r.png

Well, I went back. I am happy to report that the corn tortillas were fine this time--quite nice actually, so it appears they have resolved that issue. One reason might be that they included only a single tortilla this time; the doubled tortilla last time might have emphasized the grittiness. I ate a couple small pieces of tortilla separately this time, however, and noticed no grittiness at all.

I asked if Gil were there to report the good news, but alas, I guess I was there too early.

Some more positive notes. First, the carnitas taco I had did not have mango this time but did have what appeared to be a small amount of quacamole. Much better choice. Second, the chunks of pineapple in the al pastor taco were much smaller which was kind of good (though it did make it harder to pick them out as there were still too many). Third, their hottest salsa is quite nice. Fourth, one waitress noticed that my napkin was very dirty (from using my hands and lots of salsa to eat) and replaced it without being asked.

There were some negatives, but I won't include those here as the major issue I had before seems to have been resolved.

Well, I went back. I am happy to report that the corn tortillas were fine this time--quite nice actually, so it appears they have resolved that issue. One reason might be that they included only a single tortilla this time; the doubled tortilla last time might have emphasized the grittiness. I ate a couple small pieces of tortilla separately this time, however, and noticed no grittiness at all.

I asked if Gil were there to report the good news, but alas, I guess I was there too early.

Some more positive notes. First, the carnitas taco I had did not have mango this time but did have what appeared to be a small amount of quacamole. Much better choice. Second, the chunks of pineapple in the al pastor taco were much smaller which was kind of good (though it did make it harder to pick them out as there were still too many). Third, their hottest salsa is quite nice. Fourth, one waitress noticed that my napkin was very dirty (from using my hands and lots of salsa to eat) and replaced it without being asked.

There were some negatives, but I won't include those here as the major issue I had before seems to have been resolved.

Happy to hear that report! All I can comment on was what I had before which like your other experience with the soft corn tortillas was not good. Also surprised that you got guac on your carnitas. Maybe you got lucky? The mango on it that I got was quite weird. However, their standard carnitas tacos on the regular menu comes with the fruit, so beware!

I find your comment about single vs. double tortillas a little odd. Either the tortillas are gritty or not. It shouldn't make a difference whether they are doubled or not.

On the regular menu, the carnitas tacos are pictured with double tortillas. I think they do the single on the buffet as cost cutting thing because they know most people are going to order more than three tacos in an all you can eat deal. No issue with that, more stomach space for more tacos.

Also note, on the regular menu, if you want some guac on your taco, the cost I think is 35 baht PER TACO!

Edited by Jingthing

Happy to hear that report! All I can comment on was what I had before which like your other experience with the soft corn tortillas was not good. Also surprised that you got guac on your carnitas. Maybe you got lucky? The mango on it that I got was quite weird. However, their standard carnitas tacos on the regular menu comes with the fruit, so beware!

Also note, on the regular menu, if you want some guac on your taco, the cost I think is 35 baht PER TACO!

So cheap! Might see a steady stream wandering down from Bangkok to see what all the fuss is about if it carries on improving!

So cheap! Might see a steady stream wandering down from Bangkok to see what all the fuss is about if it carries on improving!

What is so cheap?

Anyway, you've got Sunrises up the wazoo in Bangkok plus other probably better places, so don't get your point.

On the other hand, each Sunrise is its own restaurant, and the one here has a salsa bar. Neener, neener, neener ...

Edited by Jingthing

What is so cheap?

Anyway, you've got Sunrises up the wazoo in Bangkok plus other probably better places, so don't get your point.

On the other hand, each Sunrise is its own restaurant, and the one here has a salsa bar. Neener, neener, neener ...

First of all you're talking to a Brit...who's never had Mexican food over the pond.

Its a pat on the back to the management of this place....for at least trying to satisfy the twenty odd pages of grumbles and occasional praise on here.

Good on 'em I say!

OK. I thought you were calling the charge of 35 baht for EACH taco to add a small portion of guacamole cheap. It is not cheap. A typical order of tacos there includes three tacos at about 220 baht (depending on flavor) so to add guac to all three that is 105 baht or about half the cost of the entire plate. It is 90 baht to add to a burrito. I do realize avocado food cost is high, but still, it is not cheap. Anyway, if they are sometimes giving people free guacamole, consider yourself lucky!

I used to order the guac to be added to burritos in Bangkok but found I needed a microscope to actually see the portion inside the burrito (much less taste it which I didn't). Not saying that is happening here but if you do pay for it, hopefully you can actually see it!

Edited by Jingthing

OK. I thought you were calling the charge of 35 baht for EACH taco to add a small portion of guacamole cheap. It is not cheap. A typical order of tacos there includes three tacos at about 220 baht (depending on flavor) so to add guac to all three that is 105 baht or about half the cost of the entire plate. It is 90 baht to add to a burrito. I do realize avocado food cost is high, but still, it is not cheap. Anyway, if they are sometimes giving people free guacamole, consider yourself lucky!

That seems disproportionate to me. In the UK to add guacamole to three tacos is normally £1 or 45 Baht. Its not normally supplied at all as part of the deal though.

Well food costs for Australian/Kiwi avocados are high here and I don't know of any local cados that would be acceptable here. So if like a typical chain they are going for aggressively low food cost formulas (I am guessing under 20 percent) it probably makes business sense to them. But it is a sting to customers. This isn't as much of a whine as it sounds. I don't blame Thai stores for charging high for wine either. The costs prohibit it. (Sadly.)

However, on that note, I do have a creative suggestion.

If the local Sunrise finds that a day of the week shows a pattern of slow trade, how about a Guacamole promotion day? Half off on all guacamole, whether the bowl with chips, or adds to main dishes, tacos, etc.? Guacomole Wednesdays! What's not to love?

On that note, how about a DAILY happy hour program for tequila drinks for early birds, similar to their pricing on Taco Tuesdays and Fridays?

Get those asses in those seats!

Edited by Jingthing

Well food costs for Australian/Kiwi avocados are high here and I don't know of any local cados that would be acceptable here. So if like a typical chain they are going for aggressively low food cost formulas (I am guessing under 20 percent) it probably makes business sense to them. But it is a sting to customers. This isn't as much of a whine as it sounds. I don't blame Thai stores for charging high for wine either. The costs prohibit it. (Sadly.)

Yeah i guess the two items pushing the cost of any mexican dish here are avocados and cheese. Leave those out and you got a fairly inexpensive meal.

For me I'd pay the difference anyway. Just not so often.

Imported avocados are not that expensive in Thailand...I often find them RETAIL in the local supermarkets for around B 40 a piece...so charging B 35 for a dollop of what's basically just a mixture of avocados and chilies seems a bit much to me. Reminds me of places that charge B 60 or B 75 for a bottle of B 10 water.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Imported avocados are not that expensive in Thailand...I often find them RETAIL in the local supermarkets for around B 40 a piece...so charging B 35 for a dollop of what's basically just a mixture of avocados and chilies seems a bit much to me. Reminds me of places that charge B 60 or B 75 for a bottle of B 10 water.

Like I said, I'm guessing their food cost target is probably under 20 percent. Normal for a chain. It is a business.

I would be curious to know exactly how many avocados (or fraction of one) goes into their 150 baht bowl with chips offering.

Edited by Jingthing