World'S First Tom Yum Vs. Pad Krapow Showdown!

Jingthing

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What five or six people have been clamoring for ... another silly poll.

This time the world's very first TOM YUM vs. PAD KRAPOW showdown!

If forced under threat of unspeakable consequences to give up ONE of these for life, which would you choose?

I'd give up tom yum. I don't like most tom yum that much, so not a hard choice. Usually just spicy water with some shrimp, mushrooms, and inedible weeds. Not satisfying to me, it needs a lot more edible ingredients in it.

I love them both and giving up either would be a loss for me. However, I find that I eat pad krapow a lot more often than tom yum and I could somewhat "replace" tom yum very roughly with spicy soups of other nationalities. Also I cook my own custom recipe fusion soup that no Thai would say is tom yum but do use tom yum ingredients like fish sauce, lemon grass, galanga, and kefir lime leaves. I think to avoid cheating I'd have to use ginger instead of galanga, soy sauce instead of fish sauce. So I chose I would give up tom yum but if really forced to do that, not sure I wouldn't regret that later.

Can you imagine a world (outside prison) where authority figures force you to give up a specific dish?

Edited by Jingthing

I think the tom yam has a unique taste, it does not come near to any other food, but u can get other dishes fairly similar to the pat kra pow. So the answer is : go with the tom yum.

I think they are both unique. What's similar to pad krapow and if it includes Thai basil, that's cheating?

I wouldn't have been sure a couple of months ago, but I was recently out of the country for about month, and there were several days when I really craved a breakfast of spicy pad krapow with kai dao. I definitely enjoy tom yum, but pad krapow has basically become a necessity of life.

I told this to one of my Thai friends about my strong pad krapow cravings when I came back, and she promised to show me how to make it properly, so I can make myself (assuming the the ingredients are available).

I think the tom yam has a unique taste, it does not come near to any other food, but u can get other dishes fairly similar to the pat kra pow. So the answer is : go with the tom yum.

I think they are both unique. What's similar to pad krapow and if it includes Thai basil, that's cheating?

Obviously, it is up to the one's taste. I wouldnt think the pat kra pow is something special as many say easy to make it. I like both anyway.