The one thing I remember about Australia was that my

father used to take me out in a boat about ten miles offshore on

Christmas Day, and I used to have to swim back. Extraordinary. It was a

ritual. Mind you, that wasn't the hard part. The difficult bit was

getting out of the sack.

We had similar parents.

Or they put me in the kiddy pool.

Mt_lions_kids_pool.jpg

Thanks for the kind wishes. I envy you guys...

I feel your pain. But hey, you appreciated what you had and now can see what you're missing. I wish we had more expats like you in Thailand instead of the whining, Thai-hating variety. Perhaps they can do what you did, return back to the home country to see what the trade-offs really are. And if they found that Thailand really wasn't for them, they won't be back. Would be good for everyone.

I think the best part is escaping the neoliberal capitalist mechanisms of producing the docile, productive, fearing subject. Its inanane architecture points out the winners (the docile, productive ones) and the losers (those with lives).

I feel privileged to have escaped it since becoming an adult. But it still amazes me that TV members go to inordinate lengths to big up their-- neoliberal-defined-- status. Their full-time jobs since retirement are status anxiety and reputational damage control.

So, while the OP, vaguely speaks of the "relaxed people", I think this is what he might be grasping at. As an economist recently said: manufacturing is not an area of competitive advantage for the Thais. Or in my language, the Thais don't behave as the neoliberal capitalist demands. Or on the other hand, maybe he just means they really are relaxed people...

I feel privileged at my lengthy time in Thailand.

Any chance of a English Translation,of the above?

What he is trying to say is that people who follow effectively the capitalist system of existing are no more than bit parts in a machine, who then spend the rest of their lives justifying their existence and their "wasted lives" in his elitist view. We products of capitalist societies are mere pawns as he sees it.

By dint, people who follow a more Agrarian ( ie agricultural based, barter and self sufficient system ) are in a way more superior as they don't go chasing the benefits of capitalist progress. This is the kind of philosophical left wing garbage promulgated by elitist snobs of a certain type and vintage. They use these terms to try and prove they are superior to the rest of us with their psychobabble.

Here is the reality, capitalism has been the greatest left wing instrument in human history, and it will continue to be so for evermore. People throughout the world have been lifted from squalor and pain in immense numbers by capitalism. Here in Thailand, where absolute poverty is still rife in many areas, there are people accessing basic health care services which were unheard of 30 years ago. Many of these medications have been researched, invented and produced by major capitalist companies such as Smithkline Beecham, who after an agreed period of protection of their patent, so that they can recuperate their money, then release the patent and allow generic copies of their drugs to be made cheaply, hence helping the poorest people in the world.

People like the guy that posted this garbage have their place, their is nothing wrong in preaching a gospel of agrarian existence, however!! once they choose to use language that is unintelligible to many they are no longer preaching but boasting and boosting their own feelings of superiority. These guys feel most at home amongst the uneducated of the world hence why they hide in the hills of Thailand, where they will find solace in not having to justify their arguments to other worldly wise people.

There is an oft quoted any many attributed anecdote which goes along the lines of this ................. a journalist asks a Japanese businessman which language is the most important in the world, to which he replied " My customers".

Quite simply, if your words cannot be understood, then they are worthless.

Very, very well said. :thumbsup:

If you want to recreate a bit of Thailand, open all the faucets in your home, block the drains, turn up the heat, sit back and be part of the magic.

But if he blocks up the drains he won't get the REAL essence of Thailand :D ..

I think the best part is escaping the neoliberal capitalist mechanisms of producing the docile, productive, fearing subject. Its inanane architecture points out the winners (the docile, productive ones) and the losers (those with lives).

I feel privileged to have escaped it since becoming an adult. But it still amazes me that TV members go to inordinate lengths to big up their-- neoliberal-defined-- status. Their full-time jobs since retirement are status anxiety and reputational damage control.

So, while the OP, vaguely speaks of the "relaxed people", I think this is what he might be grasping at. As an economist recently said: manufacturing is not an area of competitive advantage for the Thais. Or in my language, the Thais don't behave as the neoliberal capitalist demands. Or on the other hand, maybe he just means they really are relaxed people...

Edited by MAJIC

I don't know why it always has to be one or the other as polar opposites. I think the OP is well aware of all Thailand's faults... of which there are many. But, there isn't a country on this planet that doesn't have faults. Ignore the faults and learn to adjust, then make a concious decision about where is right for you.

What he is trying to say is that people who follow effectively the capitalist system of existing are no more than bit parts in a machine, who then spend the rest of their lives justifying their existence and their "wasted lives" in his elitist view. We products of capitalist societies are mere pawns as he sees it.

By dint, people who follow a more Agrarian ( ie agricultural based, barter and self sufficient system ) are in a way more superior as they don't go chasing the benefits of capitalist progress. This is the kind of philosophical left wing garbage promulgated by elitist snobs of a certain type and vintage. They use these terms to try and prove they are superior to the rest of us with their psychobabble.

Here is the reality, capitalism has been the greatest left wing instrument in human history, and it will continue to be so for evermore. People throughout the world have been lifted from squalor and pain in immense numbers by capitalism. Here in Thailand, where absolute poverty is still rife in many areas, there are people accessing basic health care services which were unheard of 30 years ago. Many of these medications have been researched, invented and produced by major capitalist companies such as Smithkline Beecham, who after an agreed period of protection of their patent, so that they can recuperate their money, then release the patent and allow generic copies of their drugs to be made cheaply, hence helping the poorest people in the world.

People like the guy that posted this garbage have their place, their is nothing wrong in preaching a gospel of agrarian existence, however!! once they choose to use language that is unintelligible to many they are no longer preaching but boasting and boosting their own feelings of superiority. These guys feel most at home amongst the uneducated of the world hence why they hide in the hills of Thailand, where they will find solace in not having to justify their arguments to other worldly wise people.

There is an oft quoted any many attributed anecdote which goes along the lines of this ................. a journalist asks a Japanese businessman which language is the most important in the world, to which he replied " My customers".

I think quite a few people could understand gaccha quite easily, perhaps those who didn't read it twice or three times for clarification are not in his customer base?

I'm not sure he/she is espousing the agrarian way of life however , simply more of a less consumer/productivity based way and measurement of life and satisfaction in life. You can have a perfectly happy and functioning economic system, with associated manufacturing, without having to resort to constant productivity increases, nor having to resort to agrarian society.

Surely it is a stretch to suggest that capitalism has been the greatest left wing instrument in human history?

Good Luck mate, your health is always no:1

<br><font class="sqq"><br>The one thing I remember about Australia was that my

getting out of the sack.</font><br><font class="sqq"></font>

He may have been trying to get rid of you? :whistling:

He should have made it 20 miles out. :D

For most of us......our greatest victory in life.......was being born to good parents in the right country.

Everything else has been a result of this luck.

That's a resonable and realistic perspective and food for thought to all those who think they exclusively built the pedestal they elevate themselves on..

“If life were fair, Dan Quayle would be making a living asking 'Do you want fries with that?

“Oh, I could spend my life having this conversation - look - please try to understand before one of us dies”

“You don't have to be the Dalai Lama to tell people that life's about change.”

“If I can get you to laugh with me, you like me better, which makes you more open to my ideas. And if I can persuade you to laugh at the particular point I make, by laughing at it you acknowledge its truth.”

That is exactly Lindsay's point. Everything that doesn't kill or maim you makes you stronger... providing you learn from life's lessons. People who never take chances and risks tend to be weaker than those that fight through adversity and survive. People who DO take calculated risks tend to be more interesting humans.

well count your blessings you gone back to USA and not the UK, got guys i know have prostrate cancer, wont go home and cant afford the treatment. thats how bad the place is. still must be bad having to return, i simply dont see leaving Asia as an option, but hopefully should not be in the

position where i need to. Although its bloody frustrating having to live on a massivly reduced budget with so much fun to be had out there.

I think quite a few people could understand gaccha quite easily, perhaps those who didn't read it twice or three times for clarification are not in his customer base?

I'm not sure he/she is espousing the agrarian way of life however , simply more of a less consumer/productivity based way and measurement of life and satisfaction in life. You can have a perfectly happy and functioning economic system, with associated manufacturing, without having to resort to constant productivity increases, nor having to resort to agrarian society.

Surely it is a stretch to suggest that capitalism has been the greatest left wing instrument in human history?

No it is not a stretch, it is amazing the amount of people that think that capitalism is a right wing instrument. It is anything but. The Scottish economist Adam Smith is recognized as being the first to explain " The Wealth of Nations ", which indicated a mechanism for international trade. He envisaged a capitalist system with a moral sentiment sewn into the fabric. He lived to regret seeing some of the effects of greed that had pervaded some early beneficiaries of the trading mechanisms he had proposed. He thought that wealthy men would use there money for charitable purposes, and was disgusted to see them using money for self promotion.

So charity was at the root of his thoughts, and many 19th century barons did use their money to set up hospitals, libraries and the like. The Industrial Revolution was the real beginning of capitalism for many lower class workers in the UK. Opportunities arose and wealth started to spread across British society, demand for new trades sprang up and many people dragged themselves out of the agricultural setting into vibrant new towns and cities. There has been a surge towards urbanization throughout the world ever since.

What's the point? For thousands of years the only wealthy people were the people who owned the land, as the produce of the land was the only real wealth in the world. Millions of people spent their lives in servitude and poverty all throughout the world. The explosion in capitalism introduced millions of non-agriculture based jobs and cut the link between work and servitude.

The real success of capitalism has come as it has appealed to human nature, the majority of people throughout history have looked for self improvement. Capitalism has moved the vast majority of people in Western societies away from lives of abject poverty, and in most cases, ( believe it or not ) even the poorest people in Western societies can access education, health care and welfare that was unthinkable even in the lifetime of many Thaivisa members.

Capitalism then equalizes people throughout the world. For decades ships were built in the UK, cars in the US. Out of the blue the Japanese got their act together and started to produce more reliable and economical cars than the US could, and the American consumer started to buy them in their millions. South Korea then became a centre of excellence in ship building, and in the last 40 years it has moved from an agrarian economy to a world technological leader at astonishing speed. The Chinese are now reaping the benefits of capitalism as their cheap labour has undone many western manufacturers, while having the effect of removing millions of " peasants " from abject poverty into being self sufficient land owners and business people. The next countries to benefit in a major way will be India and Vietnam amongst others.

The working man in the UK and the US are now starting to suffer as foreign capitalist based competition is either obliterating their industries or undoing their living standards. These same working men then walk into Walmart or Primark and buy cheaply made Chinese clothing and Vietnamese shoes, go to the bar and complain about their drop in living standards. While living standards in the West are dropping, living standards in the developing countries are soaring. Why? Because capitalism is searing across the planet giving people opportunities and lifting people out of poverty.

Capitalism has lifted more people out of poverty than any other socio-economic policy in the history of human kind, and I would suggest to you that this makes it by far and away the most significant left wing instrument ever.

Did you really believe capitalism was a right wing tool?

No it is not a stretch, it is amazing the amount of people that think that capitalism is a right wing instrument. It is anything but. The Scottish economist Adam Smith is recognized as being the first to explain " The Wealth of Nations ", which indicated a mechanism for international trade. He envisaged a capitalist system with a moral sentiment sewn into the fabric. He lived to regret seeing some of the effects of greed that had pervaded some early beneficiaries of the trading mechanisms he had proposed. He thought that wealthy men would use there money for charitable purposes, and was disgusted to see them using money for self promotion.

So charity was at the root of his thoughts, and many 19th century barons did use their money to set up hospitals, libraries and the like. The Industrial Revolution was the real beginning of capitalism for many lower class workers in the UK. Opportunities arose and wealth started to spread across British society, demand for new trades sprang up and many people dragged themselves out of the agricultural setting into vibrant new towns and cities. There has been a surge towards urbanization throughout the world ever since.

What's the point? For thousands of years the only wealthy people were the people who owned the land, as the produce of the land was the only real wealth in the world. Millions of people spent their lives in servitude and poverty all throughout the world. The explosion in capitalism introduced millions of non-agriculture based jobs and cut the link between work and servitude.

The real success of capitalism has come as it has appealed to human nature, the majority of people throughout history have looked for self improvement. Capitalism has moved the vast majority of people in Western societies away from lives of abject poverty, and in most cases, ( believe it or not ) even the poorest people in Western societies can access education, health care and welfare that was unthinkable even in the lifetime of many Thaivisa members.

Capitalism then equalizes people throughout the world. For decades ships were built in the UK, cars in the US. Out of the blue the Japanese got their act together and started to produce more reliable and economical cars than the US could, and the American consumer started to buy them in their millions. South Korea then became a centre of excellence in ship building, and in the last 40 years it has moved from an agrarian economy to a world technological leader at astonishing speed. The Chinese are now reaping the benefits of capitalism as their cheap labour has undone many western manufacturers, while having the effect of removing millions of " peasants " from abject poverty into being self sufficient land owners and business people. The next countries to benefit in a major way will be India and Vietnam amongst others.

The working man in the UK and the US are now starting to suffer as foreign capitalist based competition is either obliterating their industries or undoing their living standards. These same working men then walk into Walmart or Primark and buy cheaply made Chinese clothing and Vietnamese shoes, go to the bar and complain about their drop in living standards. While living standards in the West are dropping, living standards in the developing countries are soaring. Why? Because capitalism is searing across the planet giving people opportunities and lifting people out of poverty.

Capitalism has lifted more people out of poverty than any other socio-economic policy in the history of human kind, and I would suggest to you that this makes it by far and away the most significant left wing instrument ever.

Did you really believe capitalism was a right wing tool?

As you have made many general assertions I feel I also can. wink.gif

You describe Adam Smith as an Economist, and he is recognised as one the worlds first economists, but first and foremost he was a Philosopher. His work, Wealth of Nations, expounded self interest in the pursuit of personal economic betterment. Hardly left wing sentiments!

The justification of your assertion of capitalism being the greatest left wing instrument in history is built upon the writings of one philosopher??

Whatever you feel his left wing leanings sympathies at the time were, it is not these sympathies capitalism of today's society practises, and it hasn't been for a long time.

Capitalism may be searing across the planet as you say, and as such might have the illusion of offering everyone equal opportunities, but you seem to measure opportunity and success on an economic scale only? Financial betterment is now the key indicator of satisfaction from a left wing measurement perspective???

The largest beneficiaries of the new globalisation are global organisations not the people. There might be more people lifted from poverty as you say, but there are lots more people in the world to be lifted out of poverty! 1960 - 3 billion people, 2010 - 6.7 billion people. The gap between rich and poor is actually getting larger not smaller and as such the inequality ratio will grow. Year by year you can have more actual people not living in poverty while at the same time still have more actual people who do live in poverty.

to borrow a quote

"Leftists... claim that human development flourishes when individuals engage in cooperative, mutually respectful relations that can thrive only when excessive differences in status, power, and wealth are eliminated. According to leftists, a society without substantial equality will distort the development of not only deprived persons, but also those whose privileges undermine their motivation and sense of social responsibility. This suppression of human development, together with the resentment and conflict engendered by sharp class distinctions, will ultimately reduce the efficiency of the economy" - Barry Clark, Political Economy a Comparitive Approach, 1998

Is capitalism the greatest left wing instrument in history? No.

Can capitalism help be a left wing tool? Of course, but it is just one tool.

Relaxed people? Guess it is possible to be there a long time and still have one's bloody head in the sand believing all the smiles and hair color one sees are real, too. Look up relaxed in the dictionary and you won't find powder kegs or time bombs in the definition. Oh, and....whilst in the dictionary, look up neoliberal capitalism lest you require Desenex for your toothbrush.

I don't think Thailand in the next year will be the right place to be for anyone with financial pressures and health problems to be. Count your blessings to be back in the USA. I honestly think Thailand and the world economy is in for an economic adjustment.that will be painful for some elderly foreign pensioners.

Completely agree, making my way back before the feces hits the fan.. At least I hope so in light of this flooding.. And there are opportunities of a lifetime back home for the entrepreneurial spirit with motivation and determination.. You just need to carve your niche so put your head down and get to it..

I have to disagree. Inflation is going to hit the West just as bad as Thailand. A little pension will still go further here in Thailand. And "health problems"...you want to pay USA prices for health care/health insurance premiums! And what about the ever increasing loss of personal freedoms in the US and UK. And now they are beating the war drums for an Israel/US hit on Iran...if that happens I don't want to be in the USA. I'll take my chances here in Phuket.

I don't think Thailand in the next year will be the right place to be for anyone with financial pressures and health problems to be. Count your blessings to be back in the USA. I honestly think Thailand and the world economy is in for an economic adjustment.that will be painful for some elderly foreign pensioners.

Completely agree, making my way back before the feces hits the fan.. At least I hope so in light of this flooding.. And there are opportunities of a lifetime back home for the entrepreneurial spirit with motivation and determination.. You just need to carve your niche so put your head down and get to it..

I have to disagree. Inflation is going to hit the West just as bad as Thailand. A little pension will still go further here in Thailand. And "health problems"...you want to pay USA prices for health care/health insurance premiums! And what about the ever increasing loss of personal freedoms in the US and UK. And now they are beating the war drums for an Israel/US hit on Iran...if that happens I don't want to be in the USA. I'll take my chances here in Phuket.

You can do that it's your prerogative but I'm not retired and still healthy it's cheaper there in almost every aspect versus quality here especially for the high ticket items and I have children, the cost for a decent school here is prohibitive and often substandard so it's not even close to a wash..

Do you have personal freedom to own property here? No you have "freedom" to make other people rich off your back. And there is still a long way to go before the personal freedoms you claim are lost there and to eclipse what is not even granted to foreigners here, like having to report every 90 days for example as if I was a parolee. You can't LOSE freedoms you don't have in the first place that's the only reason you take notice of some losses back home, because you take them for granted but here they never even existed..

Try speaking candidly about certain people here and see where that gets you? Or what about the control and censorship of the Internet and TV?? Yeah it's much more liberal here :rolleyes: ..

what business opportunities are there going to be in the USA warpspeed? do you realize how efficient and cashed up all the american conglomerates are these days? what is it that you think you will be able to slip into that does not already have a company with 1000 locations nationwide?

It makes me wonder if Thailand is so special or is it that the special thing is living around a bunch of super poor people who make you feel rich and powerful and call you handsome?

Maybe a little of both. I just know that I rather live somewhere that things are slanted a little bit in my favor, rather than somewhere that the opposite is true. :thumbsup:

what business opportunities are there going to be in the USA warpspeed? do you realize how efficient and cashed up all the american conglomerates are these days? what is it that you think you will be able to slip into that does not already have a company with 1000 locations nationwide?

Your post reminds me of the man who was in charge of the US Patent Office who said, over 100 years ago, "Everything that can be invented, has been invented."

Didn't understand a word of that, but your happy, so, cool. :rolleyes:

I can understand how you feel. A deep point can require certain concepts that if unfamiliar can leave the reader bewildered.

I think the core points are understanding the concept of a neoliberal regime. This concept is the notion that there is a specific way of doing that has developed in recent times that is associated with the free flow of finance.

This regime pushes the costs onto the individual persons. So, for example, each and every person must be made to be concerned with their health, the risks they take, their financial provisions. This way of pushing responsibilities down the chain allows more profit further up the chain.

The Anglo-Saxon settler states (the USA/Canada/ Australia/UK etc.) are the prime examples of this logic.

The ideal worker is docile-- they work long hours expecting little reward and without complaint-- they are productive-- they work a lot-- and they are fearing-- they must be constantly worred about what happens if they fall sick/retire/lose their jobs/get in a car crash, and so on.

The society is put in place that encourages these ways of thinking. Although the typical liberal view is to imagine the laws of democracies as to be basically negative-- you can do something unless we say otherwise-- in fact, the sheer quantity of legislation that infests life in these advanced economies, is intended to shoehorn every person (lets call them subjects) into this one life.

The Thai life cannot be described as a success from this regime's point of view. The subjects just don't make good factory workers. It follows they have no "competitive advantage" in this area (*this term is a technical term widely used in economics). So they are a 'failure' by this viewpoint. And many of the farangs living in Thailand are similar 'failures'.

But I point out the tendency of farang on this forum to almost desperately set themselves out as 'winners' despite the definition being defined by such a nasty regime.

Now this is complex. Look to the work of Ong (at UCLA, I think) for more on this notion of an anthropological analysis of Neoliberalism, and for the productive,docile subject read some Foucault.

And as for Ulysses G., shame on you. You own a bookstore-- from memory-- you should perhaps open some of the books on the bookshelves.

Still lost but that's why l am me. Hope others understand your writings. Dee ma. :)

Yep .... went right over my head as well.

Neoliberalism? Is that not having sex with dead people? :whistling:

You can do that it's your prerogative but I'm not retired and still healthy it's cheaper there in almost every aspect versus quality here especially for the high ticket items and I have children, the cost for a decent school here is prohibitive and often substandard so it's not even close to a wash..

Do you have personal freedom to own property here? No you have "freedom" to make other people rich off your back. And there is still a long way to go before the personal freedoms you claim are lost there and to eclipse what is not even granted to foreigners here, like having to report every 90 days for example as if I was a parolee. You can't LOSE freedoms you don't have in the first place that's the only reason you take notice of some losses back home, because you take them for granted but here they never even existed..

Try speaking candidly about certain people here and see where that gets you? Or what about the control and censorship of the Internet and TV?? Yeah it's much more liberal here :rolleyes: ..

Yes I've always said it's cheaper to live in the USA if you want to live a high roller life style with Ferraris and yachts mainly because of protectionist import taxes in Thailand. About the only high end thing cheaper here that I know of is housing.

ABout censorship, loss of freedoms, etc.....that's something I don't talk about in public forums.