Farewell Thailand. I Miss You Already.

rideswings

After spending most of the past 4 years in Thailand and liking most of it, I will not be able to return for at least a few years due to financial reverses (due to the economy), doubled airfares, and severe heart problems that altogether prevent me from returning any time soon. I have been back in the USA for 5 months now, and I miss Thailand terribly. Im going through terrible withdrawal, I miss the food, cheap cost of living, relaxed people, and of course the women. I had a Thai girlfriend of 3 years but we broke up 2 months ago after I returned to the USA.

Now Im back to where I was 5 years ago, lonely, bored, missing the asian way of life. I would just like to say to those of you who are fortunate enough to be living in Thailand now, be thankful for what you have. I would trade places with you if I could, even if life isnt perfect there. Its really a privilege to live there, and I always found it to be my Shangri La. Thailand always made me feel special, now its back to being Mr. Normal again.

Has anyone else been a long time resident of LOS and then not been able to return for various reasons? How did you cope?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that. It seems to be easy for some folks to forget how good we have it here. Returning to the West permanantly would be a terrible sentence as far as I am concerned.

I wish you luck and hope that you figure out a way to come back to Thailand. :wai:

Edited by Ulysses G.

I think the best part is escaping the neoliberal capitalist mechanisms of producing the docile, productive, fearing subject. Its inanane architecture points out the winners (the docile, productive ones) and the losers (those with lives).

I feel privileged to have escaped it since becoming an adult. But it still amazes me that TV members go to inordinate lengths to big up their-- neoliberal-defined-- status. Their full-time jobs since retirement are status anxiety and reputational damage control.

So, while the OP, vaguely speaks of the "relaxed people", I think this is what he might be grasping at. As an economist recently said: manufacturing is not an area of competitive advantage for the Thais. Or in my language, the Thais don't behave as the neoliberal capitalist demands. Or on the other hand, maybe he just means they really are relaxed people...

I feel privileged at my lengthy time in Thailand.

Edited by Gaccha

I think the best part is escaping the neoliberal capitalist mechanisms of producing the docile, productive, fearing subject. Its inanane architecture points out the winners (the docile, productive ones) and the losers (those with lives).

I feel privileged to have escaped it since becoming an adult. But it still amazes me that TV members go to inordinate lengths to big up their-- neoliberal-defined-- status. Their full-time jobs since retirement are status anxiety and reputational damage control.

So, while the OP, vaguely speaks of the "relaxed people", I think this is what he might be grasping at. As an economist recently said: manufacturing is not an area of competitive advantage for the Thais. Or in my language, the Thais don't behave as the neoliberal capitalist demands. Or on the other hand, maybe he just means they really are relaxed people...

Didn't understand a word of that, but your happy, so, cool. :rolleyes:

Did you, by any chance, learn English at the same place as zzaa09? :D

Yea, your health is the most important thing. Without that you'll never return. This place isn't going anywhere soon and hasn't really changed in the 40 years I've known it. It will be here we you ready to return. Hopefully, when your ready it won't cost more then it does to live the the States as it's headed for.

Guess I don't care about it as much as many on this forum do, as after a year or two, sometimes sooner, I get totally burnt out on this place and have to fly back to LA for a while or take a vacation in Europe for a month or so to get away from it.Which sounds like a good topic for a post

Edited by paulian

Yea, your health is the most important thing. Without that you'll never return. This place isn't going anywhere soon and hasn't really changed in the 40 years I've known it. It will be here we you ready to return. Hopefully, when your ready it won't cost more then it does to live the the States as it's headed for.

Guess I don't care about it as much as many on this forum do, as after a year or two, sometimes sooner, I get totally burnt out on this place and have to fly back to LA for a while or take a vacation in Europe for a month or so to get away from it.Which sounds like a good topic for a post

Wish l could afford too. :unsure:

Thanks for that. It seems to be easy for some folks to forget how good we have it here. Returning to the West permanantly would be a terrible sentence as far as I am concerned.

I wish you luck and hope that you figure out a way to come back to Thailand. :wai:

Seconded!;)

I can understand how you feel. A deep point can require certain concepts that if unfamiliar can leave the reader bewildered.

I think the core points are understanding the concept of a neoliberal regime. This concept is the notion that there is a specific way of doing that has developed in recent times that is associated with the free flow of finance.

This regime pushes the costs onto the individual persons. So, for example, each and every person must be made to be concerned with their health, the risks they take, their financial provisions. This way of pushing responsibilities down the chain allows more profit further up the chain.

The Anglo-Saxon settler states (the USA/Canada/ Australia/UK etc.) are the prime examples of this logic.

The ideal worker is docile-- they work long hours expecting little reward and without complaint-- they are productive-- they work a lot-- and they are fearing-- they must be constantly worred about what happens if they fall sick/retire/lose their jobs/get in a car crash, and so on.

The society is put in place that encourages these ways of thinking. Although the typical liberal view is to imagine the laws of democracies as to be basically negative-- you can do something unless we say otherwise-- in fact, the sheer quantity of legislation that infests life in these advanced economies, is intended to shoehorn every person (lets call them subjects) into this one life.

The Thai life cannot be described as a success from this regime's point of view. The subjects just don't make good factory workers. It follows they have no "competitive advantage" in this area (*this term is a technical term widely used in economics). So they are a 'failure' by this viewpoint. And many of the farangs living in Thailand are similar 'failures'.

But I point out the tendency of farang on this forum to almost desperately set themselves out as 'winners' despite the definition being defined by such a nasty regime.

Now this is complex. Look to the work of Ong (at UCLA, I think) for more on this notion of an anthropological analysis of Neoliberalism, and for the productive,docile subject read some Foucault.

Edited by bonobo
removed needless dig at another poster

I can understand how you feel. A deep point can require certain concepts that if unfamiliar can leave the reader bewildered.

I think the core points are understanding the concept of a neoliberal regime. This concept is the notion that there is a specific way of doing that has developed in recent times that is associated with the free flow of finance.

This regime pushes the costs onto the individual persons. So, for example, each and every person must be made to be concerned with their health, the risks they take, their financial provisions. This way of pushing responsibilities down the chain allows more profit further up the chain.

The Anglo-Saxon settler states (the USA/Canada/ Australia/UK etc.) are the prime examples of this logic.

The ideal worker is docile-- they work long hours expecting little reward and without complaint-- they are productive-- they work a lot-- and they are fearing-- they must be constantly worred about what happens if they fall sick/retire/lose their jobs/get in a car crash, and so on.

The society is put in place that encourages these ways of thinking. Although the typical liberal view is to imagine the laws of democracies as to be basically negative-- you can do something unless we say otherwise-- in fact, the sheer quantity of legislation that infests life in these advanced economies, is intended to shoehorn every person (lets call them subjects) into this one life.

The Thai life cannot be described as a success from this regime's point of view. The subjects just don't make good factory workers. It follows they have no "competitive advantage" in this area (*this term is a technical term widely used in economics). So they are a 'failure' by this viewpoint. And many of the farangs living in Thailand are similar 'failures'.

But I point out the tendency of farang on this forum to almost desperately set themselves out as 'winners' despite the definition being defined by such a nasty regime.

Now this is complex. Look to the work of Ong (at UCLA, I think) for more on this notion of an anthropological analysis of Neoliberalism, and for the productive,docile subject read some Foucault.

And as for Ulysses G., shame on you. You own a bookstore-- from memory-- you should perhaps open some of the books on the bookshelves.

Still lost but that's why l am me. Hope others understand your writings. Dee ma. :)

I don't think Thailand in the next year will be the right place to be for anyone with financial pressures and health problems to be. Count your blessings to be back in the USA. I honestly think Thailand and the world economy is in for an economic adjustment.that will be painful for some elderly foreign pensioners.

And as for Ulysses G., shame on you. You own a bookstore-- from memory-- you should perhaps open some of the books on the bookshelves.

You seem to have bought the last copy of "How to be Pretentious" that was on the shelves. ;)

Edited by Ulysses G.

My story is very similar minus the health problems. I spent a year in Thailand and decided for some reason to travel and work in Australia in May. However, after travelling around SE Asia in March and doing a motorbike trip across Northern Thailand, it become abundantly clear that I was not ready to leave. I love the people, the food and the way of life here. I couldnt believe how helpful people were when I was stuck at the side of the road with motorbike problems.

Anyway, I still decided to go to Australia and am not having fun. Im making money but the money really isnt worth sacrificing being surrounded by great people, fantastic culture etc.

Its safe to say, i'm coming back to Thailand very soon. Part of the reason im posting on TV is because im experiencing Thailand withdrawal and this is a way for me to feel connected while being away. haha.

Rideswings, I hope you get your health back on track and get back to Thailand.

You sound like this guy I once met with an illuminated mushroom outside his caravan at Glastonbury, that was one of life's "moments".

Nothing scares me more than to imagine being forced to live back home for some reason.

Familiar with Horace ? Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio.

I don't think Thailand in the next year will be the right place to be for anyone with financial pressures and health problems to be. Count your blessings to be back in the USA. I honestly think Thailand and the world economy is in for an economic adjustment.that will be painful for some elderly foreign pensioners.

Completely agree, making my way back before the feces hits the fan.. At least I hope so in light of this flooding.. And there are opportunities of a lifetime back home for the entrepreneurial spirit with motivation and determination.. You just need to carve your niche so put your head down and get to it..

So ........ what are you selling? Speed or mushrooms?

Did you, by any chance, learn English at the same place as zzaa09? :D

no gaccha, actually uses it correctly.

and if you cant actually make sense of what he is saying you are either thick or being obtuse

Edited by nocturn

Good explanation, Gaccha. I understand what you are saying. I've said many times that one of the key things I love about Thailand is what I call the "wild west" about it. It takes a certain type of person to come and live here. When North America was being explored and developed in the 1800s it took men of courage, wisdom and a drive to try something new. In a few short years the "mountain man trappers" had their time on earth and then were gone. They lived a rugged life with nothing protecting them but their own abilities and ingenuity. When someone comes to Thailand they are not protected by all the benefits they had "back home": no medical, no police protection of any substance; no social services (welfare/dole) insane traffic and very few opportunities to make a living, Work permits are not handed out without a lot of risks involved. If you want to make it in Thailand you have to be self sufficient or have the ability to out hustle a local Thai.

One difference is of course that the trappers were out scouting for indians and game, they where deprived of food.

We OTOH are out scouting for happy hour draft beer & go-go girls, and where deprived of sex & sun.

I think most of us 'trappers' are living on pension, and the most needed protection is condoms & sun block

I sincerely hope the aforementioned leads to our all enlightment on how PRIVILEGED we all are , lucky to have been born on the "right" side of the big water, wild west trapper times long past, we have been "ductile & servient" in a degree that has earned us a pension or the ability and knowledge on how to hustle on your neighbours. I understand gaancha very well in what he refers to. And to the original poster, the shock he woke up to after he had to leave the land of milk and honey , plus his health insufficiencies, must have been horrible. I include my best wishes for his wellgoing and may he be able to return to the paradise of the Privileged Few. To know what one has lost is to know the real value of a thing. Not from a materialistic view, but from knowing your privileges. I am thanking it on my knees every day . . .

and if you cant actually make sense of what he is saying you are either thick or being obtuse

Who said that anyone does not understand what he is trying to say? Unlike some folks, roamer actually gets the point (which is pretty hard to miss). ;)

Familiar with Horace ? Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio.

Edited by Ulysses G.