O-A Extension

In general, for extensions based on retirement for applicants using the combination method (embassy income letter PLUS Thai bank account money) the banked money does NOT need to be seasoned at all. That said, there have been reports over the years of some smaller offices incorrectly enforcing seasoning on such applicants.

The general rule is that seasoning requirements (yes two months the first time, three months later) ONLY applies to those using the bank account method exclusively. Not combo applicants.

To clarify a combo applicant example.

Income letter showing 600K baht annual income.

Banked money in Thailand 200K

Total 800K -- qualifies. No need to season the 200K ...

in general.

Also note, these rules are exactly the same for those doing extensions who originally had an O or an O-A.

Edited by Jingthing

I am on a multiple entry Non-Imm O Visa from the USA. It will run out November 15 of 2011. I am not married to a Thai national. I live in Bangkok Noi. What are my options to have this visa extended?

1-Can I apply for an extension to retire as ( I am over 55 years old) and have a combo annual income of over THB800,000?

2-Can I just ask at any Immigration Office (for instance Jomtien) for a several month extension (90 days for instance) without getting through the retirement hoop?

3-Do I have to apply at the Immigration Office in Bangkok? I travel frequently to Jomtien and it would be easier for me there as usually they are fast and friendly.

I will appreciate advice and information from other members who know or have been in a similar situation.

Thanks in advance. Good luck to all others in similar situations !

I am on a multiple entry Non-Imm O Visa from the USA. It will run out November 15 of 2011. I am not married to a Thai national. I live in Bangkok Noi. What are my options to have this visa extended?

1-Can I apply for an extension to retire as ( I am over 55 years old) and have a combo annual income of over THB800,000?

2-Can I just ask at any Immigration Office (for instance Jomtien) for a several month extension (90 days for instance) without getting through the retirement hoop?

3-Do I have to apply at the Immigration Office in Bangkok? I travel frequently to Jomtien and it would be easier for me there as usually they are fast and friendly.

I will appreciate advice and information from other members who know or have been in a similar situation.

1. YES

2. Do a visa run, border crossing, and get another 90 days entry stamp upon return before November 15, 2011.

3. You apply at the immigration office closest to where you have established a retirement residence.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Actually you must use the office designated as serving your residence and it may not be the closest. If you are married to a Thai or have Thai child you could extend any stay for 60 days (you did not mention on what basis you obtained original visa).

1. YES

2. Do a visa run, border crossing, and get another 90 days entry stamp upon return before November 15, 2011.

3. You apply at the immigration office closest to where you have established a retirement residence.

Interested observer: Thanks you for your prompt and enlightening reply.

I should clarify that I am on the last 90 days after I have used 12 months of the one year visa. It will expire on November 15th, of 2011. In other words: I am on the last 3 months of the 15 months of the 1 year visa.

If I do a visa run will I get another 90 days?

How can this be after the visa has been used in its entirety?

I thought one would only get 15 days at border crossings.

Edited by pisico

Actually you must use the office designated as serving your residence and it may not be the closest. If you are married to a Thai or have Thai child you could extend any stay for 60 days (you did not mention on what basis you obtained original visa).

I was invited by a hospital in Bangkok to join a research team and configure uterine cancer detection and prevention programs.

The hospital director sent a letter to the Thai consulate in the region where I live in the USA inviting me to assist the hospital as a volunteer..

This is the second 1 year visa I get on the same basis.

I should clarify that I am on the last 90 days after I have used 12 months of the one year visa. It will expire on November 15th, of 2011. In other words: I am on the last 3 months of the 15 months of the 1 year visa.

Your visa has expired, no further entries into Thailand using said visa are possible.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Some Thai immigration offices will change of status from 30 day stamp or tourist visa to O (yes in Thailand) as part of a two step process, with the second step being the retirement extension application. For those whose immigration office won't do that, the first step can be done in Bangkok. Not sure if any office will do the change of status from a 15 day stamp though ...

Edited by Jingthing

Some Thai immigration offices will change of status from 30 day stamp or tourist visa to O (yes in Thailand) as part of a two step process, with the second step being the retirement extension application. For those whose immigration office won't do that, the first step can be done in Bangkok. Not sure if any office will do the change of status from a 15 day stamp though ...

They will definitely do this in Chiang Mai; I know a couple of people who have done it. From their appearance and financial background there was no question that they'd qualify for a 12-month retirement extension. Guys, it definitely helps to wear long pants, a shirt with buttons and a good attitude to the immigration office.

Some offices offer the change of status service. Others do not. Generally, the larger ones do. This policy has NOTHING to do with how applicants dress. It has to do with the office actually offering the service, AND being financially qualified for an extension based on retirement using one of the three methods (bank account, income letter, or combo).

I suggest if people really want to discuss trivialities such as suggested dress at immigration offices, that they start a new topic!

Let me spell this out a bit more. Even IF the only reason these applicants got a change of status was the way they were dressed, the moment they make application for extension based on retirement where they do not meet the basic requirements, age over 50 and financially qualified with proper DOCUMENTATION, the game is over. No extension plus it will appear they lied to immigration in the first place. Police do not appreciate being lied to.

Also, very commonly, BOTH applications happen the same day. Please don't bother with step one if you aren't qualified for step two, OK? Dressed snappily or not.

Edited by Jingthing

My sincerest thanks to all members who so kindly offered their input on my situation.

I will go to the Bangkok Tor Mor in Changwattana and ask all the pertinent questions.

I will come back to this forum and post the result for all members.

Thanks again to all.:wai:

Some offices offer the change of status service. Others do not. Generally, the larger ones do. This policy has NOTHING to do with how applicants dress. It has to do with the office actually offering the service, AND being financially qualified for an extension based on retirement using one of the three methods (bank account, income letter, or combo).

I suggest if people really want to discuss trivialities such as suggested dress at immigration offices, that they start a new topic!

Let me spell this out a bit more. Even IF the only reason these applicants got a change of status was the way they were dressed, the moment they make application for extension based on retirement where they do not meet the basic requirements, age over 50 and financially qualified with proper DOCUMENTATION, the game is over. No extension plus it will appear they lied to immigration in the first place. Police do not appreciate being lied to.

Also, very commonly, BOTH applications happen the same day. Please don't bother with step one if you aren't qualified for step two, OK? Dressed snappily or not.

Sigh!

I think we can all agree, that if an applicant doesn't meet the financial or paperwork requirements, then they aren't going to be treated well at Immigration even if they arrive in formal evening wear.

But, we should remember that individual offices and individual officers have a great deal of discretion -- it's not all yes/no, black/white like in the western world. So, if someone comes in meeting all the financial and paperwork requirements but has body odor, looks like they came straight from a night at Spicy's and cops an attitude, then the CM Immigration office might refuse their request to convert their visa-exempt status straight into an O visa (for retirement) without leaving the country.

Don't know. I can only speak from personal knowledge of two people who have do it. They certainly didn't arrive at Immigration after a night at Spicy's!

P.S. The topic of dress code at Immigration isn't "trivial". It's something still very important to the Thai people and can make a world of difference in how you're treated.