Shipping Computer System & Monitor To Los..?

soibangla

hi again all... i've searched the fora here in regards to this issue but had very conflicting reports and opinions...

i will be soon moving over to Thailand for an extended 'tourist' stay, along w/ the prerequsite Visa-runs that come along w/ that. i do my work abroad over the internet and it would be quite a boon for me to be able to ship my prized Apple Powermac system over there to use during my stay (1-2 years)... i would be trying to ship a Powermac G5 and a 23" Apple Cinema display, both in their original packaging. i have heard some horror stories about insanely high taxes and duties levied on equipment like this entering the country, as well as reports of a benign 10% (7% VAT + 3% duty) fee which would be very welcome.

i also have many friends in Thailand who i could ship the machines to directly, one of which would be to a business address, if that would help in any respect...

any advice would be greatly appreciated, from what i've seen Apple hardware sells at very high prices in Thailand so selling my current one and repurchasing over there does not seem a welcome path... thx in advance for any suggestions friends, cheers..!

:o

They will look upon a computer as office equipment and tax it accordingly.

Especially HIGH DUTIES apply to stereo and video equipment, all appliances, luxury items, carpets, foodstuff, and office equipment

As shown in bangbuathong's post

Edited by johnh101

Any ideas what range to expect for "especially high duties"?

10%? 25% 50%?

And based on what figure? Declared value by the shipper or his agent? Current estimated value? Or current net sales price?

With these figures the OP could determine if it is cheaper to either ship his system or purchase new/used one here.

I only recall a few posts here, and these were not specific to office/computer equipment, and some quoted upwards of 50% duty. Any official websites I've found basically say that it is left up to the individual postal/customs official who might have dibs on your package(s).

Edited by lomatopo

Don't know if this is eay to do with a mac, but with my homebuilt pc I was planning to just take the internal parts with me in my suitcase and get a new cabinet and monitor when I come to Thailand.

Could I still get trouble with taxes when taking it along with me on a tourist visa or 30 day visa on arrival?

I have brought two desktop CPU's (different trips) over plus a 15" LCD monitor, keyboards, mouse and other small items. I went through the nothing to declare line at the airport and never looked back. Everything was carefully packed in a large suitcase. The first CPU was damaged in transit (baggage handler A-holes) so the second one I opened the case and stuck a small soft pillow in it to hold the boards from getting jarred around. That and the original styrofoam packing worked just fine.

Just a quick note re: valuables in checked luggage. If traveling from/to the U.S.A. checked luggage cannot be locked unless you use special TSA-approved locks, which allow them easy access to your luggage. I suspect that something like a HDD, if one were daring enough to pack it in a checked bag, might raise an eyebrow on the x-ray and prompt a closer inspection. Note that this happens in the bowels of the departing airport outside your view. Arriving in BKK you may sometimes be asked to place your bags on an Xray machine (this is in the hallway just after the red/reen customs lanes, but prior to entering the arrivals concourse) and/or otherwise have an examination of your bags. I've seen people there getting searched there but I have passed through 25+ times without having been subject to any inspections. Hand luggage is subject to inspection upon departing the U.S.A. and at many transit points (like NRT where you have to re-clear security for a connecting flight).

I know that there's no replacing valued, unique or high performance equipment, but Wintel hardware components are available and reasonably priced here in Bangkok.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I wouldn't that the risk with expensive equipment like that. Take them with you in different trips or don't take them at all. Not only they could be seized by custom officials on false pretense (why would a tourist staying for 2 months need his PowerMac G5 ? this would bring other suspicions) but they could be damaged or even stolen by custom officials. Don't take that kind of silly risks.

Why not send them with a recognised excess baggage compny? Pay them to ship its and handle it for you. You will have to pay either way. So why not go for this option. ie its not good for their business if they ###### up your package. Or even use a courier compnay. Just a thought!

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I wouldn't that the risk with expensive equipment like that. Take them with you in different trips or don't take them at all. Not only they could be seized by custom officials on false pretense (why would a tourist staying for 2 months need his PowerMac G5 ? this would bring other suspicions) but they could be damaged or even stolen by custom officials. Don't take that kind of silly risks.

Yeah agree, you might pull it off but... Think you'd be safe with a notebook but bringing in a desktop on a tourist visa? Nah fark that!