Evacuation, Flood Warning For Part Of Bangkok Outskirts

george

The National Flood Relief Centre said water up to one metre high (3.3 feet) was expected in the areas of Rangsit, Saimai, Lamlukka and Klongluang. Inner Bangkok was not affected by the advisory.

"In the worst case scenario the water will not exceed one metre high, so do not panic," science minister Plodprasop Suraswadi, who is in charge of flood relief operations in the area, said on national television.

so is 1 mtre expected, or worst case scenario? , very conflicting!, nd if i knew there was going to be 1 mtre of water, i would panic , as it would damage my house and endanger lives !

also, if one floddgate is breched, how many more will brech?

with such conflicting reports from different agencies who appear not to be speaking with each other, i would prepare for the worst, better safe then sorry

All these experts don’t know anything or lying, so prepare for the worst. In case of Ayutthaya, they said not to worry and that is all she wrote

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TiT...

Obviously, the government doesn't know what's going to happen at all.

There's lots of water in lots of places. A lot of it has to come through Bangkok.

I live out in Krungthep Krita area. I have sandbagged around my house and with the elevation of our village, I should be good to about 100cm to 150cm. Above that, it's just going to come into the house and there will be a lot of damage, which I imagine wont be repaired for a long time.

I'm just going to err on the safe side. Worse case scenario that I am considering is 2-3 metres of water that we have seen upcountry. This may sound ridiculous but I don't trust anything that's coming out of the media right now.

Good luck all....

Pedro

So which is it. Are the dykes holding, or have they been breached?

P.S. Does anyone have link to the Thai Flood Center or other Thai News sites with updates? Thai language OK.

http://www.thaiflood.com/

http://flood.gistda.or.th/<br style="font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px; text-align: left; ">

http://www.norsorpor.com/tags/%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%97%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A1

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/wahkor/topic/X11160624/X11160624.html<br style="font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px; text-align: left; ">

http://www.tewmath.com/%E0%B8%

82%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A1%

E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%99%E0%

B9%89%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%97%E0%B9%

88%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%81%

E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%87%E0%

B9%80%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%9E

http://203.155.220.231/intranet/Forecast/fcc.htm

http://www.thaiwater.net/web/

http://dds.bangkok.go.th/Canal/

Maybe one of these?

Edited by hpwheelman

This is getting fairly close to where I live.

Please let me know when it's OK to panic.

Seconded same here or at least when it's ok to be really concerned :( ?? My misses just called and then came home from work in a bit of a panic because as usual these types of emergencies go with a lot of rumors so it's hard in the best of times without language barriers to distinguish reality from the BS.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Bangkok can cope 'if no heavy rain'

BANGKOK: -- In a live telecast from City Hall, BMA official assures the public that inner city is 100% safe if there is no heavy rain.

Chao Phraya level today is 2.06 metres above mean sea level while Bangkok's walls are at least 2.50 metres high.

Bangkok's inner city will be flooded if there is heavy rain at 100 mm in a day, which is unlikely even if rain still continues at the moment due to the low pressure in Thailand. At most, the rain will be no more than 40-50 mm level according to weather report, which BMA's drainage system can cope.

The only worry is about the rainfall causing temporary water retention in low-lying areas on certain roads which will cause traffic jam.

"Don't worry about run-off water from the North, the water level at Bang Sai, Ayutthaya is stable right now," said an BMA official.

BMA has already set up evacuation centres in all BMA districts if there is real emergency.

-- Bangkok Post 2011-10-13

so is 1 mtre expected, or worst case scenario? , very conflicting!, nd if i knew there was going to be 1 mtre of water, i would panic , as it would damage my house and endanger lives !

with such conflicting reports from different agencies who appear not to be speaking with each other, i would prepare for the worst, better safe then sorry

I am wondering who you would like to answer the question "How many more will breach?" If they knew that then they could probably tell you for certain what parts of the city or even the entire country are going to flood.

They build the temporary flood banks as best they can as quickly as they can and as high as they think they need to be. Of course some times they get it wrong. They underestimated 2 or 3 months ago just how high the floods were going to be this year and they underestimated how long they would last.

It concerns me that just as in business, Thais will rarely say 'no' to you, even when they want to, they will say 'yes' then you get a no by other means later, are the 'experts' saying, 'don't worry, we can cope' when really they want to shout 'everybody get to high ground quick'! Face saving has no place in an emergency situation. Take the safe option guys.

The National Flood Relief Centre said water up to one metre high (3.3 feet) was expected in the areas of Rangsit, Saimai, Lamlukka and Klongluang. Inner Bangkok was not affected by the advisory.

"In the worst case scenario the water will not exceed one metre high, so do not panic," science minister Plodprasop Suraswadi, who is in charge of flood relief operations in the area, said on national television.

We just went through 2 metre flood in Chiang Mai, lost almost everything despite taking all reasonable precautions. Just rented a house that has not been flooded in living memory. it was unbelievably traumatic.

I am in a Mo Baan south of Sai Mai. local officials and Mo Baan security announced the flood warning via speakers.

very basic no details but in 3 statements :

- dyke broke, water coming

- move upstairs, or leave now

- don't panic

very dry here, but the 'leave now' makes us panic :-(

We just went through 2 metre flood in Chiang Mai, lost almost everything despite taking all reasonable precautions. Just rented a house that has not been flooded in living memory. it was unbelievably traumatic.

Really sorry to read that. Hope things get better.

I am in a Mo Baan south of Sai Mai. local officials and Mo Baan security announced the flood warning via speakers.

very basic no details but in 3 statements :

- dyke broke, water coming

- move upstairs, or leave now

- don't panic

very dry here, but the 'leave now' makes us panic :-(

Where exactly are you? How far from, say, Phahon Yothin or the Don Muang Air Force base or Saphan Mai?

Here's an English version of the Thailand flood map maintained by the government, showing the problem and non problem areas...

http://www.thaiflood.com/en/

Here's the link for the BKK area flood map...

http://bangkok.thaiflood.com/

Here's what the country map looks like for flooding impact:

post-58284-0-24306800-1318519955_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

UPDATE: Flood warning for Bangkok suburbs

by Janesara Fugal

BANGKOK, October 13, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand issued a flood warning Thursday for parts of Bangkok's northern outskirts after a dyke burst, in a setback to efforts to protect the city of 12 million people from the rising water.

Unusually heavy monsoon rains have killed at least 283 people, destroyed crops, inundated hundreds of factories and damaged the homes or livelihoods of millions of people in Thailand, according to the latest government figures.

About 110,000 people around the country have sought refuge in shelters.

The National Flood Relief Centre said water up to one metre (3.3 feet) deep was expected in Rangsit, Saimai, Lamlukka and Klongluang in Bangkok's northern suburbs, advising people living in one-storey buildings to evacuate.

Authorities were scrambling to repair the rupture.

Inner Bangkok, including the main tourist districts, was not affected and conditions in most of the city remained normal.

Currently 26 out of 77 provinces are affected, while Bangkok is bracing for a large amount of run-off water to reach the city along with seasonal high tides that will make it harder for the flood waters to flow out to sea.

Central Bangkok is protected by flood walls and the authorities have piled sandbags along the Chao Phraya River to try to keep water out of nearby areas, whose residents are no strangers to seasonal floods.

"This year is the worst. It flooded around here every year but this year is the highest level," said Sukon Chadeth, a 36-year-old food seller living near the river.

The authorities are preparing to dredge and drain canals in the capital.

"We will dig deep and expand canals so the water can flow easily," said Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. "I will assign military to take responsibility for it."

The floods have dealt a heavy blow to Thailand's economy. Japanese automakers such as Toyota have suspended production in the kingdom due to water damage to facilities or disruptions to parts supplies.

On Thursday, floodwater started pouring into Ayutthaya's Hi-Tech Industrial Estate -- home to about 140 plants which employ about 50,000 workers -- after a section of a dyke collapsed.

The ancient city of Ayutthaya, about 80 kilometres (50 miles) upriver of Bangkok, has been badly affected and the UN cultural organisation UNESCO said it would launch a mission to the World Heritage site to assess the impact.

Culture minister Sukumol Kunplome said it was unclear how much damage there was because the city was still under water.

"Once the water subsides, we can estimate our loss," she told AFP.

Flooding has also hit other countries in Southeast Asia, including Cambodia, where more than 200 people have died. In Vietnam, the death toll has risen to 43 and officials say most of the dead are children.

On the edges of Bangkok's Chao Phraya River, some residents were getting ready to leave their homes if necessary.

"Even though we have the barrier, we're not confident," said 34-year-old Boonluea Petchjun. "The water can come in any time so I already prepared by packing my important belongings and I am ready to evacuate any time."

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-23

Bangkok's flood walls 'strong'

BANGKOK: -- In a live telecast from City Hall, BMA drainage director Sanya Chinimit assures the viewers that BMA's flood walls are built following engineering standard with ample margin of error.

The reinforced concrete walls are not the same as temporary sand/earth dykes that have been breached in Ayutthaya, Nakhon Sawan, Pathum Thani.

The BMA flood walls are regularly maintained after floods such was the case in Bangkok last year.

The only worry is the temporary flood wall built around the squatter community who encroached on Chao Phraya river bank for a few hundred metres and refused to allow BMA to complete the permanent wall.

BMA officials are monitoring this sand dike wall around the clock to prevent someone from stealing the sandbags and to make sure that this sand dyke wall is not breached.

Down in Sukhumvit area next to Klong San Saeb and water level hasn't changed in days. Only thing different today is the lack of river-taxis....been super-quiet.

Watching CNN weather there's a large depression moving across the South China Sea into Vietnam, Laos and then into Thailand. Probably in the next couple of days. Good luck to those in ground floor dwellings. :jap:

http://weather.cnn.com/weather/forecast.jsp?locCode=THXX0002&zipCode=357546266259 for those into weather forecasting

A post making light of this situation and the responses to it has been removed. This is not a 'fun' topic and anyone making false statements or frivolous comments will find themselves without posting rights until after the situation is over.

//Admin

The only worry is the temporary flood wall built around the squatter community who encroached on Chao Phraya river bank for a few hundred metres and refused to allow BMA to complete the permanent wall.

Are you kidding me?? Some squatters can scuttle an entire multi-million baht project to protect an entire city? That's it someone transported me to another dimension while I was sleeping one night :ph34r: ..

For those who have Twitter accounts, this could be a helpful, timely resource for keeping up with the latest:

https://twitter.com/...%23ThaiFloodEng

RichardBarrow RichardBarrow For Twitter updates about flooding in Thailand use #ThaiFloodEng for English tweets. #ThaiFlood is for Thai. Pls RT
Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Is that a first for Thailand? Quite scary actually. So there is indeed a weak point in the reinforced 'permanent' concrete wall. It doesn't matter how good the wall is, if there is a weak point then that is where the water will come in.

Edited by GentlemanJim