Your Chance To Quiz UK Ambassador To Thailand

webfact

Please can you explain exactly why the British Embassy in Bangkok is a money extortion service?

A new British passport (from Thailand) is DOUBLE the cost of a passport from the UK office.

in the UK (for half the price) you can get a guaranteed 10 day - or less) service.

in Thailand (up until a year ago), it was a 10 day service (if you are lucky).. TWICE my passport took more than 10 days (despite me requesting it be done quickly) - the staff always say "ok, we will do our best", yet you get the opposite!

and now you have sub-contracted the passport off to Hong Kong and it takes ONE MONTH!!!! and DOUBLE the cost of a standard UK -issued passport.

If you enter Thailand on a 30 day visa and apply for a passport.. - it takes ONE MONTH...

- People are FORCED by the embassy to OVERSTAY!!!

i think its an absolutely GREEDY and appalling service.

I am sure that anyone who has ever had a passport done in Thailand will surely agree... its a rip off and pure greed, (especially for the lousy service you get).

how can it be DOUBLE the cost...? (even when it was being done in bangkok,, it was still double the cost).

I would love to hear a good explanation.

Thank you,

Did you post this to veen_[email protected] as stated in the article?

dam_n.. I didn't see that! ok, I have sent it to the email address now ;)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the the greatest of respect easybullett3, you have asked a reasonable question, then given The Ambassador a get-out.

The question about the high cost of applying for a passport whilst overseas is valid, especially as the passports are now produced and delivered directly from the UK is valid, but by adding that if you enter Thailand with a passport that is about to expire the UK Embassy is forcing you to overstay is a nonsense, any traveller would surely ensure that their passport is valid for such a trip before leaving the UK, and in any case you probably wouldn't even make it to Thailand with a passport that's about to expire. I'm sure that The Ambassador, or at least one of of communication team members will pick up on this.

So my question to you, Mr Ambassador, is: I recently asked the IPS why the cost of producing and delivering passports from the UK to overseas "customers" is double the cost of producing and delivering a passport to the UK, I also asked if and when applications can be be made on-line, as outlined in the IPS Business Plan, will the cost be the same, plus the extra cost of delivery? The IPS advised me to ask the FCO who in turn advised me to ask the IPS, can you give me a definitive answer please?

Thank you

no no no... there are many reasons why someone requires a new passport. (not just date expiry)

when travelling, the pages in the passport run out much faster than the expiry date!

or a Change of Name, etc.

or people who have damaged, soaked, torn passports (from whatever travelling they have done).

lost/stolen passports.

anyone travelling to thailand gets a 30 day visa on entry. and if their passport is lost or stolen or damaged, it will take 30 days to get a new passport (and double the price)... when they receive their passport, they will be fined on leaving Thailand for overstaying because of the ridiculous time it takes to get your passport. (furthermore, they are potentially at risk of fines or imprisonment if they are caught overstaying by Thai police)!

Non indexed pensions, that's the one that really gets me!

Not too worry the ambassador will sort it out.

Out of his control, this is a matter for parliament and the government, write to your MP.

There is an online petition currently collecting signatures for it to be brought before parliament again.

^^^^^

With the the greatest of respect to the above poster, you have asked a reasonable question, then given The Ambassador a get-out.

The question about the high cost of applying for a passport whilst overseas is valid, especially as the passports are now produced and delivered directly from the UK is valid, but by adding that if you enter Thailand with a passport that is about to expire the UK Embassy is forcing you to overstay is a nonsense, any traveller would surely ensure that their passport is valid for such a trip before leaving the UK, and in any case you probably wouldn't even make it to Thailand with a passport that's about to expire. I'm sure that The Ambassador, or at least one of of communication team members will pick up on this.

So my question to you, Mr Ambassador, is: I recently asked the IPS why the cost of producing and delivering passports from the UK to overseas "customers" is double the cost of producing and delivering a passport to the UK, I also asked if and when applications can be be made on-line, as outlined in the IPS Business Plan, will the cost be the same, plus the extra cost of delivery? The IPS advised me to ask the FCO who in turn advised me to ask the IPS, can you give me a definitive answer please?

Thank you

I don't think you'd be allowed into Thailand unless you have at least 6 months validity remaining on your passport....So the bitching about forced overstay is complete rubbish....

maybe you missed the point:

there are MANY reasons why someone requires a new passport. (not just date expiry!!)

when travelling, the pages in the passport run out much faster than the expiry date!

or people who have damaged, soaked, torn passports (from whatever travelling they have done).

or lost/stolen passports.

anyone travelling to thailand gets a 30 day visa on entry. and if their passport is lost or stolen or damaged, it will take 30 days to get a new passport (and double the price)... when they receive their passport, they will be fined on leaving Thailand for overstaying because of the ridiculous time it takes to get your passport. (furthermore, they are potentially at risk of fines or imprisonment if they are caught overstaying by Thai police)!

why cant the UK Embassey have UK Detectives and Forensic experts on call to go out to all Murder / Suicide-murders of UK nationals to ensure that the case is properly dealt with and not covered up as the norm here in thailand? ,

Edited by Boater

Out of his control, this is a matter for parliament and the government, write to your MP.

There is an online petition currently collecting signatures for it to be brought before parliament again.

Out of his direct control, is better to say BUT another person that is reminded of this Shizen ruling, sometimes it takes a foreign Ambassador to mention it at one of their afternoon tea and scones lawn parties.

^^^^^

With the the greatest of respect to the above poster, you have asked a reasonable question, then given The Ambassador a get-out.

Thank you

I don't think you'd be allowed into Thailand unless you have at least 6 months validity remaining on your passport....So the bitching about forced overstay is complete rubbish....

there are MANY reasons why someone requires a new passport. (not just date expiry!!)

One of many valid points to ask ( I hope you mailed this one to the e.mail provided.

^^^^^

Thank you

One of many valid points to ask ( I hope you mailed this one to the e.mail provided.

1-What procedures are in place God Forbid there be another tsunami, what lessons were learnt after the last disaster ? how will the UK Embassy help not only visitors but also long term residents of Thailand & other Commonwealth citizens.

2-I am tired of reading Brits in exile in the LOS, can the Embassy or FCO do more to co-operate with the local authorties hence sending a clear message stay away from Thailand and if you do the crime in the UK do the time.

3-Is the UK Government going to expand the air pact with Thailand, and are you aware of any future planned flights from the UK to either BKK or HKT

4-Please explain the cost of the passport, is it a true profit centre ?

I recently needed to provide proof of address in Thailand. The only proof that was acceptable was a letter from the British Embassy- I completed what I thought was a form and handed it in to your office with the 1800 baht (as I recall). 4 hours later it came back to me with a signature and marked (words to the effect) the British embassy take no responsibility for the contents of this document)

Why should I have to wait such a long time for a simple signature? It is very expensive and I can not imagine so many signatures are requested, so why submit in the am, and return in the pm, I would understand such a wait if it cost 1-200 baht but at near 2000baht it should be rushed to the authorised signatory on the spot.

I would be interested in how much revenue the embassy extracts from its citizens on an annual basis?

The cost of a passport also baffles me, as does the fact that my 48 page passport only has about 43 pages that can be used?

Thanks

I would be interested in how much revenue the embassy extracts from its citizens on an annual basis?

Good way of approaching it, have you though about submitting a FOI (Freedom of information) request,

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/publications-and-documents/freedom-of-information/requesting-information/

I was once told the the British Embassy in Bangkok actually makes a profit on this type of work where some diplomatic missions make a loss because there are not enough Brits handing over cash for "services".

Dear Ambassador,

Why does the British government issue passports to folks who, after observing their characteristics, behavioral traits and mannerisms in Thailand, would be better off at home under the care of social services or in the secure unit of the local looney bin.

Where can this petition be found as i would like to add my name to it being one of manny paid up pensioners being SHAFTED by the UK government :realangry:

The Ambassador can do nothing about the issue of non indexed pensions for British expatriates , nor really give any information beyond that which is freely available.In current economic circumstances there is no possible chance that the policy will be amended in the foreseeable future.It's a minor irritation which will affect me too in a few years ... but I wouldn't dream of interrogating the Ambassador when there are many other issues.

There's also a another point which won't win me any popularity - namely any British national whose UK state pension is vital - or even a significant contribution - to his financial security shouldn't really be retired in Thailand anyway.

Edited by jayboy

Where can this petition be found as i would like to add my name to it being one of many paid up pensioners being SHAFTED by the UK government

Probably a lost cause but here it is http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/16387

When I say lost cause, whilst I would encourage everyone to sign it this e-petition still needs over 91,000 more signatures before it gets before Parliament, and if it does it will probably be ignored.

British Passport = rediculus price,

one month waiting for it to be returned

Processed in Hong Kong

Thai Passport = 1000 bht

Returned same day

Processed in Thailand

I like the Thai way, makes the Brit Embassy in Thaland look like some Dumb idiots

UK Pensioners in Thaland

DISCRIMINATION of the aged by the British Government

NO Increments

NO VOICE

NO HELP

About Time somebody got their finger out and did something for the people who PAID THEIR DUES in insurance and tax and in most cases served in H M Forces .

The Ambassador can do nothing about the issue of non indexed pensions for British expatriates , nor really give any information beyond that which is freely available.In current economic circumstances there is no possible chance that the policy will be amended in the foreseeable future.It's a minor irritation which will affect me too in a few years ... but I wouldn't dream of interrogating the Ambassador when there are many other issues.

There's also a another point which won't win me any popularity - namely any British national whose UK state pension is vital - or even a significant contribution - to his financial security shouldn't really be retired in Thailand anyway.

Wether or not he can do anything its a question that should be asked, and as for your last comment you are right it will not win you any popularity, in fact it makes you sound like an ASS , your silver spoon is showing, stop trolling

why cant the UK Embassey have UK Detectives and Forensic experts on call to go out to all Murder / Suicide-murders of UK nationals to ensure that the case is properly dealt with and not covered up as the norm here in thailand? ,

Don't expect the Ambassador to respond to such a question as it is inappropriate.

Thailand is a sovereign nation and UK law enforcement has no authority in Thailand. Thai law enforcement has no authority in the UK, why would it be different for the UK?

In any case, the number of suspicious incidents in Thailand do not warrant the cost of the stationing personnel in Thailand. Most of the alleged "murders" of UK nationals talked up in TVF are in fact deaths due to lifestyle choices and/or misadventure. Now if you wish to quiz him on why he is not forceful in demanding action in respect to the assaults and ripoffs (e.g. jetski and tuk tuks in Phuket) then yes you have a point. I suspect that in his heart the Ambassador would respond that no one forces UK nationals to either visit or reside in Thailand. People made the choice to come and they must accept the consequences of their actions knowing what the situation is. It is no big secret that Thailand presents some danger..

Nong 38 # 52

What plans has the Ambassador got for Trafalgar Day?

Probably none as such days like St.Georges Day , Remembrance Day are considered insulting to our new "guests:" in the United Kingdom. I E politically incorrect..

Nong 38 # 52

What plans has the Ambassador got for Trafalgar Day?

Probably none as such days like St.Georges Day , Remembrance Day are considered insulting to our new "guests:" in the United Kingdom. I E politically incorrect..

I thought the date might be challenge for him and the signifigance of it.

Sunholidaysun1

Posted Today, 08:29

Can we have free hospital care here if needed ?

I have spoken to some Embassy staff who told me (and I couldn't quite believe some of the things I heard) of some of the imbecilic things that Brits abroad go to the Embassy for expecting it to be sorted out.

"I can't get back in time to collect my dole money, can you pay me here"

"I have lost my credit card can you give me e new one"

"I have lost my credit card, can you give me a loan till I get home and sort it out"

"I was charged 5000 baht to fix the arm I broke whilst drunk, we have a national health system, can I have my 5000 baht back"

"Where can I get a bus to Chang Mai and what are the best shops there"

"Why can't I use my pensioners bus pass on public transport in Bangkok"

There are many more, too many to remember in fact, and all difficult to believe, UNTIL you check in to Thai visa and see some of the responses on this thread (the two above are prime examples).. I find it difficult to understand how anyone in their right mind can come up with this nonsense. All it does when questions such as these are forwarded to an Ambassador is reinforce how lucky the UK is that people with this level of intellect have fled the shores of the UK. No wonder they make it difficult to get a new passport, they are trying to stop most people from ever going back to the UK.

Edited by GentlemanJim

The ambassador told us he is ready for any sort of question.

He's going to regret saying that.......

About nine months or so ago, a young man from the Embassy came around to do research on British Ex-pats. We rolled out all the same old issues:

a. Iniquity of the lack of indexation of pension, which is paid to many pensioners oversees, many of whom also pay income tax which helps to pay amongst other things - Government Pensions.

b. The Thai Visa System, which seems to have been developed to be obstructive rather than constructive and welcoming. Take the example of Malaysia, where after a year or so, one can get long term visas, buy homes, import a first car tax free and have a website dedicated to the potential ex-pat with lots of useful information.

c. Why ex-pats are not allowed to legally own one house and a reasonable sized piece of land. Or even to have a land tax for foreigners or some sort of reasonable ruling. Lets face it Thais can go to UK and buy a house!

d. What can be done about the exorbitant air fares by Bangkok Airways to fly to and from Bangkok/Koh Samui. For the price they charge, one could fly to India. We know they own the Airport at Samui, but this is a clear cut case of monopolisation - all the other carriers are charged high airport taxes to come into Samui, making them uncompetitive. Government should step in to either Nationalise the Airport, or break the monopoly by taking them to the Thai Monopoly Commission, if there is such a thing. It is also harmful to the tourist trade coming to Koh Samui.

All these issues and more were raised with the young man, who was operating under the previous Ambassador's instructions. So two questions:

1) What happened to that survey?

2) Why are you Mr Current Acting Ambassador wasting public money doing it again? Some sort of public recognition for...........?

I have not completed the questionnaire, nor will I, because I like many others, believe absolutely nothing will come of it. I will get more joy out of pathetically bleating on Thai Visa and reading what the other discontented ex-pats feel. However, despite the niggling little issues above, I would not wish to be anywhere else than Thailand.:jap:

I have not completed the questionnaire, nor will I, because I like many others, believe absolutely nothing will come of it.

And so you will continue to be 100% correct, because if people continue to do nothing about it then nothing will continue to happen.

Why on earth should the Thai Government make it easy for us to get a visa? It is not some British passage of right is it. Have you any idea what a pain in the ass it is for a Thai citizen to get a visa to visit the UK? Why on earth, when faced with that should they make it easy for us? As for business and trade agreements. Until the UK come up with a trade agreement that the US did that encourages trade between the nations then we as Brits will not receive any advantages in terms of company ownership rights etc.

I have many questions to ask here but I'm not going to because I do not believe it would make a difference and I'm pretty sure many feel the same way

I have absolutly no confidence in any governments ability to govern considering the current state of things right now - the debt they have got us all into - the billions they have shelled out to the banks - the billions the banks have shelled out to unregulated institutions and the general inability of any of them to see that they are being taken to the cleaners, global economics are not working and only now are we seeing how flawed it has been the last 20 years, the rich get richer through greed and deception and the poor people end up paying for the global shambles

time to hit the big reset button

I have many questions to ask here but I'm not going to because I do not believe it would make a difference and I'm pretty sure many feel the same way

I have absolutly no confidence in any governments ability to govern considering the current state of things right now - the debt they have got us all into - the billions they have shelled out to the banks - the billions the banks have shelled out to unregulated institutions and the general inability of any of them to see that they are being taken to the cleaners, global economics are not working and only now are we seeing how flawed it has been the last 20 years, the rich get richer through greed and deception and the poor people end up paying for the global shambles

time to hit the big reset button

Not really the right thread is it? None of it has anything to do with the Ambassador and he is not an 'elected' member of Government., he just does a job like any civil servant and does what he is told to do. He has nothing to do with the banks, you getting in debt or the global financial crisis. Just a point for clarification.