Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

I don't want to start a panic, but Tops at Central LP appeared to be out of canned beer.

A local 7-11 had four cans (until I bought them).

Shelves were a lot emptier than my last visit less than 40 hours ago.

For anyone low on drinking water alcohol is not a good idea as it dehydrates you and makes you need to drink more water. Perhaps you can recycle the beer like astronauts, if you have the right equipment.

I wake up every night and recycle beer.:whistling:

Edited by ExpatDave

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ventured down to Chinatown this morning (29Oct) during the time of the river high tide.

The water level varied between 30cm to 70cm. Rivers of cars were replaced by torrents of water; Bangkok was once again resembling it's old tag of "Venice of the East' before the canals were filled in to make roads.

Despite the flooding, spirts in the community were still high and as you can see food vendors were still selling their wares to customers. Some Monk photo-journalists also appeared on the scene with some very impressive equipment!

You can view my image gallery here (which also has some flood-related photos from the past week):

http://smu.gs/nQ0K0j

My area of Sathorn/Narathiwas (Yannawa) is very dry all the way to the river. There is a small breach though about 200 metres down from Wat Yannawa on Charoen Krung which was heavily sandbagged and pumps working frantically.

The klong that runs down the centre of Narathiwas Road is still at its normal level and lovely black color.....!

Edited by TravisB

BTW, is it possible to use another simile aside from "dry as a bone"?

I enjoyed this one posted today,11:52, on p.33 by gunghang:

Ramintra intersection/roundabout is still as dry as a devout Muslim.

Just as well it wasn't about Suk Soi 5...

More water is moving towards me in putamonton sai 4 and small canal behind the mooban I'm in is piled with more sandbags and a total of 6 water pumps in action to pump the drainage out. Entrance is lined with sandbags too. Water at the entrance is slightly higher than the knee. Cars can't move in or out now. The main road to petkasem is still dry. Anyone living around here?

According to the police, the closed routes are:

North of Bangkok

1. Vibhavadi Road - (inbound) Memorial Intersection to Laksi Intersection

- (outbond) from Laksi Intersection

2. Phaholyothin Rd (inbound and outbound), from Memorial Intersection to Phaholyothin 50.

3. Kamphaengphet 6 Rd (inbound and outbound) from Muang Ake Village to Thung Song Hong Estate.

4. Songprapha Rd (both sides) from Srisamarn Intersection

5. Cherdvuthakat Rd (both sides)

6. Veruvanaram Rd (both sides)

7. Liab Khlong Song Rd (both sides) from Saphan Poon Intersection to Intersection in front of Royal Thai Airforce’s unit

8. Chantarubeksa Rd (both sides) from Navy Academy to Chatarubeksa Intersection

9. Kosoom Ruamjai Rd

10. Dechatungka Rd

11. Chaeng Wattana Rd (Soi 14)

West of Bangkok

1. Charansanidvongse Rd (both sides) from Bang Phlad Intersection to Rama VII Bridge

2. Sirindhorn Rd (both sides) from Bang Phlad Intersection to Sirindhorn elevated road

3. Arun Amarin Rd (both sides) from Arun Amarin Intersection to Siriraj Hospital

4. Borom Raja Chonnanee Rd (both sides) from Pinklao Bridge Sirindhorn elevated road

5. Borom Raja Chonnanee Rd (both sides) from Buddhamondhol 3 Intersection to Buddhamondhol 4 Intersection

6. Utthayan Rd (both sides) from Utthayan Intersection to Buddhamondhol 3 Intersection

7. Sala Thammasop Rd (both sides)

8. Charansanidvongse Rd (both sides) from Borom Raja Chonnanee Intersection to Bang Khunnon Intersection

9. Elevated frontage road (both sides) from Taling Chan to Buddhamondhol III

10. Buddhamondhol III (both sides) from Borom Raja Chonnanee Intersection to Utthayan Intersection

Hi pals,

I am searching, but somehow I can not find it. I am looking for the list of closed (main) roads. I am planning going with a car from Suratthani to Chiang Mai next week. Any hints ?

Thank you.

went to get the bike serviced today,

i live lam luk ka road klong 4 , opposite the gas reserves next to the number 9 outer ring road,

anyway , had to push the scooter throw the water at the entrance to my condo , off the lam lu ka road, then on to the number 9 , as bikes can go on the motorways now, but not the toll ways, cost me 200 bt for the mistake , anyway, lad prao 87 is just starting to see water coming up from the drains,

other then that every way dry,

but sai mai and the lam luk ka road now is a walking market , and of course all the fun of the fair, boats to buy, food to buy, lots of fishing going on,

the last photo is from my condo looking north , what used to be rice field is now a great lake, wow i always wanted to live near the sea, and now i have my wish,

post-37066-0-04429600-1319878324_thumb.j

post-37066-0-14033000-1319878349_thumb.j

post-37066-0-84929000-1319878381_thumb.j

post-37066-0-21797700-1319878671_thumb.j

Edited by scott1999

Boromratchachonnani is now closed at Kanchanapisek. Pass Kanchanapisek water has flooded the road all the way to Phutthamonthon Sai 5 and possibly farther.

Rama VIII bridge is open but only one lane for each side.

On the elevated road there were many accidents because of the parked cars.

Bang Waek canal is as high as I have ever seen it before.

More water is moving towards me in putamonton sai 4 and small canal behind the mooban I'm in is piled with more sandbags and a total of 6 water pumps in action to pump the drainage out. Entrance is lined with sandbags too. Water at the entrance is slightly higher than the knee. Cars can't move in or out now. The main road to petkasem is still dry. Anyone living around here?

As I told you in PM, my niece was and I insisted she get out of there. You might want to think about doing the same while the main road is still dry. There is still a lot of water to the north and this western area seems likely in for a slower resolution than the eastern parts of Bkk. Just my 2 cents...

For what it's worth, Mahidol Salaya has set 17 November as date for reopening with a contingency plan of the 24th if things prove worse than expected.

went to get the bike serviced today,

i live lam luk ka road klong 4 , opposite the gas reserves next to the number 9 outer ring road,

anyway , had to push the scooter throw the water at the entrance to my condo , off the lam lu ka road, then on to the number 9 , as bikes can go on the motorways now, but not the toll ways, cost me 200 bt for the mistake , anyway, lad prao 87 is just starting to see water coming up from the drains,

other then that every way dry,

but sai mai and the lam luk ka road now is a walking market , and of course all the fun of the fair, boats to buy, food to buy, lots of fishing going on,

the last photo is from my condo looking north , what used to be rice fields is now a great lake, wow i always wanted to live near the sea, and now i have my wish,

The BIB still fined you... the <Snip!>.

Edited by metisdead
Inappropriate comment removed.

Not sure how credible this is considering all the bullshit we've heard these last couple of weeks but, for those residing in "inner" Bangkok (whatever that catch all means), this holds out some hope.

Irrigation Dept. reckons if the barriers can hold out 'til November 6th, residents will most likely be spared.

Not sure how credible this is considering all the bullshit we've heard these last couple of weeks but, for those residing in "inner" Bangkok (whatever that catch all means), this holds out some hope.

Irrigation Dept. reckons if the barriers can hold out 'til November 6th, residents will most likely be spared.

"Inner Bangkok" will probably mean the part of Bangkok which is within the flootwalls. At least this is how I have understood it all these days.

Very grim at Muang ake housing estate and these pics were sent to me from my old friend who owns the place.

Up to 2.8 meters there and getting higher.

The first picture you can see the whole lobby and courtyard of this apartment building underwater, from floor to ceiling 2.8 meters, many stranded inside and just for a indication of how deep it is, the electric transformer is 3.5 meters off the courtyard ground

The second pic you can see the sois are full to the top of the housing walls and making peoples front yards look like swimming pools.

These were high walls that you would need a ladder to scale. I'm amazed.

The water isn't moving at all and just rising slowly and people are stuck with no electric.

I'm not a religious man but i pray for them.

post-75209-0-38291100-1319880268_thumb.j

post-75209-0-53339600-1319880281_thumb.j

post-75209-0-71246100-1319880293_thumb.j

I tried "dry as a devout Muslim" though that might have been snipped.

Dry as a devout Morman?

Dry as James Bond's vodka martini

As dry as Bangkok on election day.

As dry as frozen CO2 (dry ice, get it?)

As dry as a woman whose gynecologist looks like Nancy Pelosi/Pee Wee Herman (you get the idea).

As dry as an Egyptian mummy

As dry as an AA meeting

As dry as powdered milk

As dry as Bob Newhart (other comedians will work, but Benny Hill is not one of them)

As dry as the Philippine National Treasury after one of Imelda's shopping sprees

I'm sure we can get creative.

Now, to keep this on topic, uh, um, er, got it!!

The zebra shrine (between Big C and Union Mall on Lad Prao) is as dry as Bacardi 151.

It is completely unprotected. I'll watch it to see how it fares during the coming week.

Dry as a devout Morman?

As dry as a woman whose gynecologist looks like Nancy Pelosi/Pee Wee Herman (you get the idea).

As dry as an AA meeting

As dry as powdered milk

As dry as Bob Newhart (other comedians will work, but Benny Hill is not one of them)

As dry as the Philippine National Treasury after one of Imelda's shopping sprees

The zebra shrine (between Big C and Union Mall on Lad Prao) is as dry as Bacardi 151.

It is completely unprotected. I'll watch it to see how it fares during the coming week.

post-32175-0-31514200-1319881119_thumb.j

The river will back up some hours after high tide, no?

There is a tide table from the Royal Thai Navy at this URL: http://www.ebaechtol...gkok-high-tide/

I've been watching the river level from my Condo at Praram 3 near the intersection of the Industrial Ring Road (about soi 50) for a couple of weeks now, and this table seems to accurately predict the high river level here. River level seems to start to rise interestingly about an hour before these times, hits it's peak right about these times and begins to fall again within 30 minutes.

See the note at the bottom of the table that these levels are measured above the minimum water level. It looks like you should subtract 1.1 M from these levels to get levels above MSL.

Please Jumper, be careful about information. The above link is not from the Thai Royal Navy. It is an embedded image on a webpage of a company selling watches that predict tides, and almost played me too. Both the times predicted and heights are incongruous with local reporting from several sources and other tide chart sites on the internet. The Thai Royal Navy has no Bangkok tide chart on its site, or in it's site index, both available in English. Worse, the figures are wrong. Sunday and Monday Am high tides are predicted to be higher than today. The chart above shows today as being the highest withing five days prior to five days post. Below are two links whose charts agree with each other, and one is from a weather site. Tides are somewhat unpredictable due to several factors including the expansion and contraction of the ocean (warm water occupies more space and cold water occupies less space, although this is unnoticeable in a liter, the oceans are huge), and due to underwater currents both near and far off shore.

http://www.myforecast.com/bin/tide.m?city=W48455&metric=true&tideLocationID=T0138

http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/calendar/month/362.html

"inner Bangkok to be spared". If true, good. Who knows?

However, i worry about those levees and, beyond simple survival, I hope they can maintain power, clean water and internet. i remember living thru last years shoot-up without power - damned hot.

I presume Bkk has one interconnected water system. So smelly and polluted water noticed at St John's and Lad Prao will eventually make its way through out Bkk.Correct? Anyone know?

Also can someone tell those kids to "stop being kids" - swimming in the klongs at the mo' is v dangerous.

I ventured down to Chinatown this morning (29Oct) during the time of the river high tide.

The water level varied between 30cm to 70cm. Rivers of cars were replaced by torrents of water; Bangkok was once again resembling it's old tag of "Venice of the East' before the canals were filled in to make roads.

Despite the flooding, spirts in the community were still high and as you can see food vendors were still selling their wares to customers. Some Monk photo-journalists also appeared on the scene with some very impressive equipment!

You can view my image gallery here (which also has some flood-related photos from the past week):

http://smu.gs/nQ0K0j

My area of Sathorn/Narathiwas (Yannawa) is very dry all the way to the river. There is a small breach though about 200 metres down from Wat Yannawa on Charoen Krung which was heavily sandbagged and pumps working frantically.

The klong that runs down the centre of Narathiwas Road is still at its normal level and lovely black color.....!

Some great pictures there TravisB

Dry as a devout Morman?

As dry as an AA meeting

As dry as powdered milk

Am sure it will fare well as it is within spitting distance of Shinawatra Tower and more importantly my home!

The river will back up some hours after high tide, no?

There is a tide table from the Royal Thai Navy at this URL: http://www.ebaechtol...gkok-high-tide/

I've been watching the river level from my Condo at Praram 3 near the intersection of the Industrial Ring Road (about soi 50) for a couple of weeks now, and this table seems to accurately predict the high river level here. River level seems to start to rise interestingly about an hour before these times, hits it's peak right about these times and begins to fall again within 30 minutes.

See the note at the bottom of the table that these levels are measured above the minimum water level. It looks like you should subtract 1.1 M from these levels to get levels above MSL.

Please Jumper, be careful about information. The above link is not from the Thai Royal Navy. It is an embedded image on a webpage of a company selling watches that predict tides, and almost played me too. Both the times predicted and heights are incongruous with local reporting from several sources and other tide chart sites on the internet. The Thai Royal Navy has no Bangkok tide chart on its site, or in it's site index, both available in English. Worse, the figures are wrong. Sunday and Monday Am high tides are predicted to be higher than today. The chart above shows today as being the highest withing five days prior to five days post. Below are two links whose charts agree with each other, and one is from a weather site. Tides are somewhat unpredictable due to several factors including the expansion and contraction of the ocean (warm water occupies more space and cold water occupies less space, although this is unnoticeable in a liter, the oceans are huge), and due to underwater currents both near and far off shore.

http://www.myforecas...ocationID=T0138

http://tides.mobileg.../month/362.html

But the times in that chart do correlate very well with what I'm actually seeing as the high times of the river at my place. Subtracting 1.1 M from the levels in the chart, it's also corresponded well with government announcements about river levels. Correct tide levels aside, we're talking about some fairly small differences and the river level itself will depend not only on the tide level but the amount of runoff as well.

I've seen posts saying that the high mark for the river level would trail the high tides by 4-5 hours. My point is that the times in this chart are corresponding well with what I actually see on the river at my point.