Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

Khet Dusit, just walked from PhiChai over Khlong SamSen into Sukhothai, turn North into SamSen, cross Khlong SamSen again, turn into NakhonChaisri back to PhiChai. No problem.

The water in the khlong doesn't seem to flow too fast and is on the same low level I noticed December last year. Lots of shops along SamSen and NakhonChaisri had small floodbarriers. I forgot my mobile otherwise I'd make some photos of the ingenuity shown by some. Brickwalls half a meter high, next to haphazardly stacked sandbags, some shops closed for holiday (or flood?), some don't bother. Some still busy, hope the cement has time to dry properly. TOPS starting to look empty and 7/11 along the way same. SiYan market looked OK with fresh veggies.

Edited by rubl

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I assume that the chinese shopkeeper has better intel

1. Money

2. He doesn't watch Korean soaps

3. I don't think he relies on Froc

4. Listen to jorsor 100 instead of yesterdays news from the nation

5. Generations of vested interest decision making have ingrained in him a certain level of bs filtering.

Outside our gated community the 7/11 is closed...

post-61130-0-86860100-1319368447_thumb.j

Next shop is an old Thai/Chinese lady who is in charge...

Since this morning she organizes raft delivery service, one of her nephew is doing it.

I've just received my 24 x cans pack of beer... And guess what? She didn't even increase the price and her nephew refused tips! cool.gif

Edited by lazygourmet

From ThaiFlood ศูนย์ข้อมูลช่วยเหลือผู้ประสบภัยน้ำท่วม

Emergency Call for Thailand’s flood rescue Units

1) Public Health Mobile team 1669

2) Disaster Prevention and Alleviation Call 1784

3) Irrigation Department Emergency Call 1460, 026692560

4) Highway Department Emergency Call 1586

5) Public Transport Safety Center 1356

6) Rural Roads Department 1146

7) State Railway of Thailand 1690

8) The Transport Co., ltd. 1490

9) Highway Police (info for flooded routes 24 hours) 1193

10) Provincial Electricity Authority 1129

Why do I assume that the chinese shopkeeper has better intel

1. Money

2. He doesn't watch Korean soaps

3. I don't think he relies on Froc

4. Listen to jorsor 100 instead of yesterdays news from the nation

5. Generations of vested interest decision making have ingrained in him a certain level of bs filtering.

Since this morning she organizes raft delivery service, one of her nephew is doing it.

I've just received my 24 x cans pack of beer... And guess what? She didn't even increase the price and her nephew refused tips! cool.gif

Our seven is closed too but some restaurants near it are still working and not charging extra. Great Water in the house now i expect an increase of 5 cm per day.. hopefully not longer then 5 days or so.

The 7 Eleven is closed?

That's it we're done for, I'm outta here.

Bangbon is dry, but the nearest khlong (Khlong Khwan) strangely has had no water motion whatsoever. Nearby Mahidol U had a new warning issued a few hours ago to expect the water flooding from Nakhom Phatom to be there "anytime"--meaning soon, I presume (within 24 hours?). Because of the volume, Nakhom P had a meter of water at last report two days ago, I am taking precautions to move to higher ground in the event of rising water. . . .

It seems simple. Have a plan. If the water begins to rise, then get out. Hmmm... the devil in these details is not one that I know better.

The plan is a bit of a problem, alas. In my shoes, for example, except for bugging out to Khon Kaen, which itself is half submerged but where the rest of the family is at the moment, just where do you evac to? You mentioned Mahidol. I work there and tried to book a room at Salaya Pavillion two weeks ago for this weekend and coming week and everything was already taken. There is an evac center at MUIC, which might be my first resort if I lose electric and water at home. Otherwise, I guess I just head down the street to the Phutthamonthon Sai 3 overpass and hope someone has an awning during the day.

8pm......the 3 hour time period of potential flooding has passed, and other then the klong being a bit higher (Klong Taweewatana), everything is still dry on this side of Mahidol.

How, if at all, will the pluming in condos be affected?????

Depends how high you are? Low floors will be greatly effected when it backs up as they not only have it backing up from the bottom but piling on from the top if the rest above them keeping using the facilities so it may be worthwhile to get word around for all to stop using the facilities if the water begins coming up..

If it is of any interest: Silom Area (Surawongse, Patpong, Narathiwas, Lumpini....) all dry!

Yes, only a litle piece of information, please spare me Patpong- related jokes...I just live here!

Don Muang update from srong bra pa rd.

At about 4:00pm the klong by Wat Don Muang was at maximum height and cresting slightly in some areas on the srong bra pa rd side behind the Wat which is about a meter lower.

The klong up the road which is much narrower an flows in to this one was up about a meter higher then yesterday and flowing quickly but the pumping station that moves it to the next klong is flowing at only about 25% capacity today.

There is some water backing up now through lower street drains in most areas I saw over several blocks and also I noticed that several low lying properties around which have no drains to speak of but large open areas that were dry yesterday and no rain are beginning to develop large pools of water which must now be percolating upwards through the saturated soil given they have no obvious source.. There is flooding on adjacent lower roads but these low points are isolated from them so no way the water got in except through percolation.

It has slowed considerably from the worst 2 days ago but now with the klongs nearly at capacity unless the larger klong drops over night a fair bit now, the water will be backing up even more if there is much more overflow from klong bra pa :( ..

Oh! And heavier then usual sewer odor..

Edited by WarpSpeed

At about 4:00pm the klong by Wat Don Muang was at maximum height and cresting slightly in some areas on the srong bra pa rd side behind the Wat which is about a meter lower.

The klong up the road which is much narrower an flows in to this one was up about a meter higher then yesterday and flowing quickly but the pumping station that moves it to the next klong is flowing at only about 25% capacity today.

There is some water backing up now through lower street drains in most areas I saw over several blocks and also I noticed that several low lying properties around which have no drains to speak of but large open areas that were dry yesterday and no rain are beginning to develop large pools of water which must now be percolating upwards through the saturated soil given they have no obvious source.. There is flooding on adjacent lower roads but these low points are isolated from them so no way the water got in except through percolation.

It has slowed considerably from the worst 2 days ago but now with the klongs nearly at capacity unless the larger klong drops over night a fair bit now, the water will be backing up even more if there is much more overflow from klong bra pa :( ..

It is not looking good for Don Mueang, my soi is still flooded, we are about a mile from Song Phra Pa road and 2.5 miles from the Klong of the same name. A report in the Bangkok Post this evening said that they now have the said Klong under control, so I am hoping that the water will recede somewhat by morning.

The 7 Eleven is closed?

That's it we're done for, I'm outta here.

Yes, I'm a bit miffed at the local Tops actually, they have cleared EVERYTHING out and made no attempt to restock even some critical items on higher shelves, I really feel they've left us (the community) to our own devices and I think this is a selfish act on their part and at minimum poor PR and a premature over-reaction..

It is not looking good for Don Mueang, my soi is still flooded, we are about a mile from Song Phra Pa road and 2.5 miles from the Klong of the same name. A report in the Bangkok Post this evening said that they now have the said Klong under control, so I am hoping that the water will recede somewhat by morning.

You must be right around the corner from us then.

That would be good news and very timely as the only direction for it to go now is up and out even more.

Tell you what, I'm more concerned now for being cut off to supplies and the like then I am getting wet.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Has anyone reported flooding along or nearby Petchaburi Road? There are water ways running either side so it looks likely that if there were to exceed their limits and overflow the road would see flooding..... Just curious as i am in Soi Soonvigai and even through the condo is elevated a few meters off the ground i am concerned that we are at risk.

I believe you're at Brighton. No, New Petchaburi Road is not flooded. The water level at Khlong Saen Saeb is 50 cm below sea level. The only problem is the manhole inside the condo which is located near the wading pool. Water might rise from there.

This is relevant to potential flooding, and something from between the lines:

Newsflash from the news that sounds like The Mation: "On Friday, BMA Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra announced that 116 BMA-schools in nine districts, which are at risk of being flooded, would start the new semester on November 15 but other schools would start the new term on November 1. But the BMA announced Sunday that all of its schools in all districts would start the new term 15 days late than the normal schedule."

Perhaps somebody knows something we don't.....

FF

Bangbon is dry, but the nearest khlong (Khlong Khwan) strangely has had no water motion whatsoever. Nearby Mahidol U had a new warning issued a few hours ago to expect the water flooding from Nakhom Phatom to be there "anytime"--meaning soon, I presume (within 24 hours?). Because of the volume, Nakhom P had a meter of water at last report two days ago, I am taking precautions to move to higher ground in the event of rising water. . . .

It seems simple. Have a plan. If the water begins to rise, then get out. Hmmm... the devil in these details is not one that I know better.

The plan is a bit of a problem, alas. In my shoes, for example, except for bugging out to Khon Kaen, which itself is half submerged but where the rest of the family is at the moment, just where do you evac to? You mentioned Mahidol. I work there and tried to book a room at Salaya Pavillion two weeks ago for this weekend and coming week and everything was already taken. There is an evac center at MUIC, which might be my first resort if I lose electric and water at home. Otherwise, I guess I just head down the street to the Phutthamonthon Sai 3 overpass and hope someone has an awning during the day.

8pm......the 3 hour time period of potential flooding has passed, and other then the klong being a bit higher (Klong Taweewatana), everything is still dry on this side of Mahidol.

I hope it stays that way, but all the water from Nakhom Patom is not taking a visa run to anywhere but nearby.

For an area that is supposed to be elevated Don Muaeng, I am surprised that we have gotten so much water so quickly! There was no flooding here in 95! Water levels have remained the same here all day.

Kinda surprised too but it just illustrates how much water is out there waiting and the fact that the ground was completely saturated before it breached the Klong bra pa levy. positive news to hear it has not gone up in your soi though that confirms my original perception of the gates being closed and them managing it to drop the levels down again..

Were getting some really nasty smells now more so then ever so it's certain it's still rising somewhat at least up through the storm drains up our way and that stands to reason pushing the gas our way to higher ground.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Just came home from Soi Cowboy....ehm, I mean Asoke and there is a big crane in the middle of the Asoke/Sukhumvit intersection, opening up the road to a big sewage.

All dry still, but maybe they are blocking it to prevent flooding.

I hope not, that would be insane...

I hope that it is some kind of prep to let a large volume of water through.

Just came home from Soi Cowboy....ehm, I mean Asoke and there is a big crane in the middle of the Asoke/Sukhumvit intersection, opening up the road to a big sewage.

All dry still, but maybe they are blocking it to prevent flooding.

I hope not, that would be insane...

I hope that it is some kind of prep to let a large volume of water through.

Jet vac??

Vac%20Combo.JPG

They should be doing this all over the place..

This is relevant to potential flooding, and something from between the lines:

Newsflash from the news that sounds like The Mation: "On Friday, BMA Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra announced that 116 BMA-schools in nine districts, which are at risk of being flooded, would start the new semester on November 15 but other schools would start the new term on November 1. But the BMA announced Sunday that all of its schools in all districts would start the new term 15 days late than the normal schedule."

Perhaps somebody knows something we don't.....

FF

Well, I believe its pretty much common knowledge the government for several days now has warned that Central Bangkok will be flooded by one meter for perhaps 4-6 weeks - so a sensible disposition based on general knowledge.

Edited by satiariyan

For an area that is supposed to be elevated Don Muaeng, I am surprised that we have gotten so much water so quickly! There was no flooding here in 95! Water levels have remained the same here all day.

Kinda surprised too but it just illustrates how much water is out there waiting and the fact that the ground was completely saturated before it breached the Klong bra pa levy......

One must remember the water comes from North, it has to go through somewhere and I think if there's no barrier up North Bangkok - it will not 'over flow' into Don Muang. There's a very complicated canal, drainage system and they can close some "gates" to facilitate the water elsewhere.

Announcement of Bangkok Metropolitan Administration

Subject : Announcement on Warning on Flooding Situation in Bangkok

-----------------------

M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, the Governor of Bangkok, said that an assessment of the flooding situation in Bangkok revealed that the volume of the flood from the area of Rangsit, Prathumthani Province that has been increasing significantly and will continue to increase at larger volumes from now on. The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, hence, informs the public that the areas of the following districts will be affected, namely, Don Mueang, Lak Si, Bang Khen, Chatujak, Bang Sue and Sai Mai.

BMA, consequently, instructs people residing in those mentioned areas to move their valuable belongings, automobiles and others items to higher ground. Those residing in the areas posing with potential dangers to lives and properties are instructed to move and seek temporary shelters at the center of flood relief operation designated and prepared by BMA. In particular, the priority must be assigned to those with sickness, underage, and older ages. The general public and all governmental agencies are required to monitor the situation very closely and follow the further announcements of BMA.

However, the Governor requested the general public not be panic and be assured that BMA will perform its duties with the utmost accountability and will join the Flood Relief Operation Center of the government in improving this situation of hardship and assist people all 24 hours. BMA will mobilize all emergency services teams as well as medical teams to stand ready in providing assistance and advice to the public.

Upon assessing the situation with all indicators BMA would like to inform that a rather serious upcoming is very imminent and inevitable. However, BMA will further assess the situation for the other surrounding districts tomorrow. Should the situation turn critical, the Governor assures that he would be the very first person to inform the public as announced and promised.

Moreover, BMA has relayed this message to the Permanent - Secretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to instruct the embassies, the residences of ambassadors and diplomatic corps locating and residing in those mentioned areas. BMA has also prepared this announcement in English for those foreigners in Bangkok to be informed as well.

The Governor reiterated that this mishap resulted from the area of u-turn under the Rangsit Bridge on the Paholyothin Road where BMA had initially reinforced with sand bags in improving the conditions of flooding. But unfortunately while BMA was continuing the tasks in the area it had been opposed by groups of people. The opposition had led the group of the opposing resorted to violence forcing BMA to redeploy its work force. The incident then caused the overflow of flood into the area of the Memorial Site.

Of course it has to be told that there is someone else to blame...

So far, from everything I read and here, the inner city (Ekkamai-Sukhumvit-Silom area) still seems to be totally dry and will stay this way, or am I wrong with that?