Rental Deposit

losworld

I'm looking at renting a condo unit in Patts from a company that owns some complexes and the rent is reasonable at 10K baht although the elect is 8 per unit and add another 1k for internet. However, they require in advance the rent for the month 10K plus another 10k for a damage deposit plus another 7k to cover utilities as a deposit so a total of 27k for a 10k per month unit before I have stepped foot in Patts. I've rented privately before and never seen this. What do you guys think?

Another quick question I like to exercise by riding a road bike (10 speed) and was wondering if I can rent one reasonably or buy one cheap in Patts.

thx

"the elect is 8 per unit and add another 1k for internet"

That part sounds like a rip-off to me. Both are way over the top, unless the internet is your own private ADSL link (it surely wont be).

I'm paying 1 month deposit on a 1 year rental, though I'm told that 2 or 3 months is common. But the agent has known me for the best part of a year so I suppose that counts for something.

That part sounds like a rip-off to me. Both are way over the top, unless the internet is your own private ADSL link (it surely wont be).

I'm paying 1 month deposit on a 1 year rental, though I'm told that 2 or 3 months is common. But the agent has known me for the best part of a year so I suppose that counts for something.

Most agents I've come across ask for 2 months deposit. Private owners mostly ask for 1 month deposit. I had to pay 1.5 months where I am now. It can be negotiated.

Private owners tend to charge less so as not to scare off potential renters.

I have a rule never to pay more than government electricity rates but that's up to the individual. Perhaps in the OP's case it could be negotiated lower.

Most agents I've come across ask for 2 months deposit. Private owners mostly ask for 1 month deposit. I had to pay 1.5 months where I am now. It can be negotiated.

Private owners tend to charge less so as not to scare off potential renters.

I have a rule never to pay more than government electricity rates but that's up to the individual. Perhaps in the OP's case it could be negotiated lower.

I agree.

Eight baht is the usual price charged when a feed is taken from a temporary construction meter that is coming from another persons supply or transformer. It is too high for normal domestic use.

A few places use this sort of thing then come up with fictitious damage so a way to keep your deposit, often agents who rent out condo's for others or companies do this, usually a local person as opposed to a westerner who likes to work on reputation.

I have learned from past experience that when a large deposit is asked for ie: 2 months + 1 month in advance then 1 month of this is paid as commission to whoever introduced you.. It is normal to be asked for a month in advance and a month deposit, I would be fine by this but have only been offered this arrangement when dealing with the Landlord direct.

I paid 2 months up front. 1 month was deposit and the other was rent in advance.

Government price for electric. Standard price for water. 650 Baht for internet.

If you are paying a damage deposit I would either photograph or video every room on arrival and the same on leaving to stop the rip offs of your deposit. And how often do people really get deposits back?

As someone said there are plenty of places to choose from so bide your time and look around.

8 baht for electric is about usual these days. 1000 for internet is high but if the connection is good?

The only deposit I ever paid was 3000 baht. I've never heard of a separate damage or utility deposit.

Sounds like a scam to me despite being a prominent builder etc etc.

They might ask for a deposit to deposit the money in the bank.

Shop elsewhere.

If you use 600 units of electric at 8 baht against the rough 3.5 baht for domestic usage, you are overpaying 600 x (8 - 3.5) = 2,700 baht extra a month.

Many agents take 1 month as commission so the landlord never gets your 2 months deposit. You need to know this as many will wait for a new tenant to get their deposit to pay you ! Sod that and use the deposit for the last months' rent.

As for the electric, just find a place with your own meter at 3.5 baht or very near. Don't fall for this rip off scam.

As for the electric, just find a place with your own meter at 3.5 baht or very near. Don't fall for this rip off scam.

At around 500 kWh per month the government rate works out at 3.8 average including VAT. This will vary slightly up or down depending on usage.

8 baht for electric is about usual these days.

Nothing "usual" about it. It's a rip-off.

Agreed, but unless you pay direct to the government you need to accept the landlord's rate.

I only spend six months here and you know how quick the meter gets taken away for non use or non payment of bill.

unless you pay direct to the government you need to accept the landlord's rate.

Not really.

If some landlord said to me that the electricity was 8B, I would just look elsewhere. In fact I did reject a couple of potential rentals for that very reason.

unless you pay direct to the government you need to accept the landlord's rate.

Not really.

If some landlord said to me that the electricity was 8B, I would just look elsewhere. In fact I did reject a couple of potential rentals for that very reason.

If a person is set on a particular property they really love where the rate is 8B they would have no option but to pay it. It is not as easy as some people think to find a good rental at a good price in the right location if one is very particular as to requirements. I'm in that category and don't find good rentals easy to find. If one is hell bent on getting the government electric rate the selection becomes even more limited.

Why do some people drive tanks which consume twice as much fuel as other readily obtainable economical vehicles.

Not everyone in life has the same priorities. Not everyone is on a low budget.

Is it a ripoff? No.

I was paying 6B at a place for 5 years. I did have the option to move out but I didn't want to. Was I being ripped off? No, I was well aware of the surcharge when I moved in. I did try to negotiate the rate down but never succeeded. Ironically, after I had moved out (for other reasons) the landlord dropped the rate to 5B. I've now scored a suitable rental where I pay the government rate, but it wasn't easy.

If a person is set on a particular property they really love where the rate is 8B they would have no option but to pay it. It is not as easy as some people think to find a good rental at a good price in the right location if one is very particular as to requirements. I'm in that category and don't find good rentals easy to find. If one is hell bent on getting the government electric rate the selection becomes even more limited.

If there was one particular property that I wanted I would just insist that the landlord let me pay my bill directly. A landlord who wont do that is clearly a crook, probably intending to cheat me on the deposit also, and not someone who I would want to deal with anyway.

I am one of the pickiest b*stards known to man but I managed to find a nice place at the right (low) price with utilities paid directly by the tenant at the official rate. In fact nearly all the units I looked at had utilities paid directly by the tenant, and I rapidly rejected the remaining few.

I can't imagine myself ever being in a situation of being "set on one rental property that I love" as there is usually another identical one a couple of doors away, and normally another 20 next to that, or in the next building. If there is one thing that is not in short supply in Pattaya it is rental property. And more of it becomes available every day. :)

I can't imagine myself ever being in a situation of being "set on one rental property that I love" as there is usually another identical one a couple of doors away, and normally another 20 next to that, or in the next building. If there is one thing that is not in short supply in Pattaya it is rental property. And more of it becomes available every day. :)

All this comment tells me is that you're not particularly fussy about where you rent or at least nowhere near as fussy as I am. There's no point going on about it again - we've both made our points so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Cheers.

If there was one particular property that I wanted I would just insist that the landlord let me pay my bill directly. A landlord who wont do that is clearly a crook, probably intending to cheat me on the deposit also, and not someone who I would want to deal with anyway....

I think that is the most valid point. You can argue that overcharging on electric is simply massaging the true rent of the property but if someone will rob you for a few hundred, how far will he go for your Bt50,000 deposit ?

If there was one particular property that I wanted I would just insist that the landlord let me pay my bill directly. A landlord who wont do that is clearly a crook, probably intending to cheat me on the deposit also, and not someone who I would want to deal with anyway....

I think that is the most valid point. You can argue that overcharging on electric is simply massaging the true rent of the property but if someone will rob you for a few hundred, how far will he go for your Bt50,000 deposit ?

A lot of buildings are billed for total electric usage in one bill. The individual meters are installed merely to determine the usage for each apartment. The total combined electric bill would not give an accurate figure (it would be too high) for individual apartment billing due to the tiered nature of electricity billing.

In these cases it is impossible to pay an electric bill directly.

yeap its way over the top, i would not pay more than 1 month deposit,, any damages can come out of that. electric again i would not pay more than goverment rate. shop around theres hundreds if not thousands of empty condos, some farangs getting desperate to tent. always the view talay that seem to have loads empty.

7k for utilities new one on me.

try getting the deposit back at the end, i had some problems, i treat the place like my own but always with thais it takes ages to get it back. i rent from farangs only now, presently no deposit, 2 weeks free rent when i moved in as it was middle of the month. and electric and internet from goverment. what speed internet you getting for 1k per month. put that onto paying over double for your electric and 10k aint a good price.