Help: Honda Wave 125 (3Yrs Old) Leaks Benzine At Carburetor Overflow

oz457

Dear friends,

as I have been riding the honda wave bikes 5 years back, I have bought myself a honda wave (in Europe named innova) about 3 years ago. As I have no dealer close to my location, I am facing the following problem:

There is a black tube that comes from the bottom of the carburetor. And it leaks, not just one drop, it leaks about half a tank when standing still for more than 4 days.

I have opened only the bottom side of the carburator. There was some dirt in it, cleaned it, and checked the float set that floats in the fuel of the carburetor can so if it can move up easily. I also checked the small pin that is supposed to stop the fuel entering the carburetor what the float pushes it up.

After cleaning and checking, there is still fuel leaking out of the carburator? Does anybody have any experience? Do I have to take off the entire carburator? Should I buy a new one when I go to Thailand next month?

Kind regards to all, and thanks for any help.

PS. Parts of the motorbike seems to be available at the following website: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B0fPe4feWkfeNmFjNWI3YjQtYzdkMy00ZjRhLWE2Y2MtYjE3YmI3NTc5NjBi&hl=nl

see carburetor page 20 section 3, 17 and the picture under.

Thailand is not the only country that uses Ethanol fuels, some countries have even higher than 10% E10 as standard fuel.

If you ask a Thai mechanic what the problem could be, I pretty sure that he will say that the plastic float in the Keihin carburetor is so far corroded that it developed leaks (basically a float that doesn't float anymore). The good part is that your problems is not unique, and also every Honda dealer can supply you with a replacement float that is made from plastic that can endure ethanol better.

Sounds like you can change the float yourself, so id just go down to the Honda dealer and pickup a float and float valve. Since its almost impossible to tell by looking at the float valve if it is worn.

Make sure the pin that holds the float isn't sticking. ;)

Just stick a needle or something where the pin is and push, it'll come right out.

Edited by KRS1

Oz, if by the link you provided is correct, then you have a vacumn or pressure fuel tap, which means that the fuel is automatically stopped when the engine is off, which of course means no fuel to the carb, these kind of taps dont have an off position, just, main,reserve and prime, if there is a problem in the tap, eg, diapramh, debris stopping the seating of the off valve, fuel will continue to flow,

Although other posters here insist its a sticky float or needle valve for the float, or a punctured float, and you have proved that you have already checked these, im sure you would have noticed if the float was full of fuel, or cracked or the rubber was missing or mis-shapen on top of the float needle closing valve, Good Luck..

Oz, if by the link you provided is correct, then you have a vacumn or pressure fuel tap, which means that the fuel is automatically stopped when the engine is off, which of course means no fuel to the carb, these kind of taps dont have an off position, just, main,reserve and prime, if there is a problem in the tap, eg, diapramh, debris stopping the seating of the off valve, fuel will continue to flow,

Although other posters here insist its a sticky float or needle valve for the float, or a punctured float, and you have proved that you have already checked these, im sure you would have noticed if the float was full of fuel, or cracked or the rubber was missing or mis-shapen on top of the float needle closing valve, Good Luck..

if there is a problem in the tap, eg, diapramh, debris stopping the seating of the off valve, fuel will continue to flow

If the float and float valve are ok, fuel will not continue to flow.

if there is a problem in the tap, eg, diapramh, debris stopping the seating of the off valve, fuel will continue to flow

If the float and float valve are ok, fuel will not continue to flow.

Having had a Wave that had no fuel tap and relied on the float to stop the fuel. Given the symptoms one would have to say that both are faulty.

(OZ if you are checking this thread look in your "messenger inbox".)

The vacumn tap operates exactly as it is described, ie, when there is a vacumn from the inlet side of the engine, [could be carb or manifold] this opens the fuel suply in the tap via a tube, now, when the tap diaphramgh is holed, it allows fuel down the vacumn pipe, thus either filling up the airbox/carb or engine, in the ops case, it drained away, or did it? definitly check the engine oil level and also sniff it for traces of fuel,

A friend of mine is currently in thailand. I will ask him to bring back a new carburetor. Does anyone know here if there are many different versions of these carburetors, or is it a standard one. This one is just a standard bike, no injection of electronics.

There aren't any special carbs for the Wave/Innova...but Honda may have increased the jet sizes up one size for both the main and slow jets in recent years, they did this with the cbr 150 (115 vs 118). I'd check your jet sizes against the link you provided.

If a shop has the old parts book/computer file they will provide you specs in that particular book. Unless you have part numbers to provide them for ordering the part. If your engine has excessive vibration at a particular rpm, its probably running a bit lean eg; the reason the main jet size on the cbr 150 was increased, in some cases the needle may have also been updated.

Edited by KRS1

There aren't any special carbs for the Wave/Innova...but Honda may have increased the jet sizes up one size for both the main and slow jets in recent years, they did this with the cbr 150 (115 vs 118). I'd check your jet sizes against the link you provided.

If a shop has the old parts book/computer file they will provide you specs in that particular book. Unless you have part numbers to provide them for ordering the part. If your engine has excessive vibration at a particular rpm, its probably running a bit lean eg; the reason the main jet size on the cbr 150 was increased, in some cases the needle may have also been updated.

Small correction, the Honda Innova 125 introduced in 2007 never had a carburetor version...