Tv Supper Club?

baht&sold

Met some old n new friends at an Ethiopian restaurant called Abssinya tonight. Great company, great food and alot of talk and laffs (we had to eat with our hands afterall;). I'm lucky to know a farang gal pal whom invites me along to these informal 'get togethers' every few weeks or so. (eg, last meet was at the Danish 'Stable Lodge' next, Mexican was mentioned as a possibility and a big christmas turkey in/house party was planned)

Basically, it's usually a group of a dozen interchanging people or so (slightly more/less), always an interesting mix, usually at a new restaurant each time which is fun. Tonight was no exception.

Eg: American gal-school teacher extrodinaire, German guy-hotelier, Brit guy- journalist (?), Thai gal-import/export, French gal- textiles, Laos business gal and so on. Age, 20's to 40's tonight but age/background not a big deal at all. Just a great bunch of people (how I got into invited into this group remains a complete mystery;) :o

Got me to thinking not for the first time, def NOT me but maybe someone on Thai Visa could organise a 'supper club' of sorts? The TV "pissups" at clubs etc are a great venue to meet n greet but there's something to be said for a more relaxed setting at a restaurant for a good night out. Lotsa amazing people on TV afterall and the more varied their backgrounds/interests are, all the better.

(I should say, if it's a dating club one's after, this wouldn't be the pool to swim in, nor " I only ordered water so not paying 20 baht more" nuff said;)

Well, that's about it. If it comes about, I may well be interested and I'm sure other TV guys n gals would be too (TV diners club card G?). If not, I'll just keep attending our little supper club n enjoy the new and old company and changing venues. Over to yous TV :D

Edited by baht&sold

how I got into invited into this group remains a complete mystery.

Maybe the girl who keeps on inviting u wants a good ramin? :D

<deleted> Joey? :o (sigh) Pls keep yer juvenile wet dreams to yourself. She's just a good friend and my GF might kick your arse for suggesting that. Not off to a great start here, I shoulda known better??? :D

Edited by baht&sold

• 4 weeks later...

"Ethiopian restaurant"

The only Ethiopian people I have ever seen were on TV and starving, its hard to imagine what you could find on a Ethiopian restaurant menu.

From what I know of the country I doubt any Ethiopian could identify food on that menu with their daily diet

"Ethiopian restaurant"

The only Ethiopian people I have ever seen were on TV and starving, its hard to imagine what you could find on a Ethiopian restaurant menu.

From what I know of the country I doubt any Ethiopian could identify food on that menu with their daily diet

Ignorant fool. Ethopian food is counted amongst the best in Africa. Addis Ababa is a great city with fantastic restaurants and nightlife.

"Ethiopian restaurant"

Ignorant fool. Ethopian food is counted amongst the best in Africa. Addis Ababa is a great city with fantastic restaurants and nightlife.

Only a great city for food if you're not one of 87% of the country living in shanty towns or slums. Besides it's pretty well recognised that most of the best Ethiopian chefs have long left the Country for pastures new. Perhaps a total lack of sanitation being the reason :o

"Ethiopian restaurant"

Only a great city for food if you're not one of 87% of the country living in shanty towns or slums. Besides it's pretty well recognised that most of the best Ethiopian chefs have long left the Country for pastures new. Perhaps a total lack of sanitation being the reason :o

But not all Ethiopians are poor, just like not all farang have money to freely spend. I blame 'charities' like World Vision Australia for propagating TVCs that feature skinny black children with flies hovering around them.

"Ethiopian restaurant"

But not all Ethiopians are poor, just like not all farang have money to freely spend. I blame 'charities' like World Vision Australia for propagating TVCs that feature skinny black children with flies hovering around them.

True but there is a hel_l of a divide of wealth in comparison with most Farang countries. Charities to blame for bringing this to our attention?

Right........ :D

Hmmm the Ethiopian food doesn't sound good but the supper club idea does!!

Had ethiopian food in the states. My buddy and I ordered the two most expensive items on the menu... he got a bowl of Green mush and I got a bowl of yellow mush, both with chicken bones in it. Bleh!

May I suggest greek or arab? hehe.

greg

"Ethiopian restaurant"

True but there is a hel_l of a divide of wealth in comparison with most Farang countries. Charities to blame for bringing this to our attention?

Right........ :D

Sorry to go off topic but skylar's comments had to be replied to!

Disposable income per capita:-

Ethiopia ---US $800

Thailand ---US $8,100

Australia ---US $30,700

Other than foreigners, Government officials, the Military and heroin dealers there aint much to go around. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to say that I went to the egyptian restaurant which is next door of the ethiopian restaurant Bath&Sold mentionned.

It was really good and cheap.

Altough, if anyone is looking for Kebab, I recommend the stalls, sukhumvit soi 3.

The best in town!

50thB for an orgasmic bite... :o

It would be nice to keep this on topic, the OP wasn't asking us to discuss the moral issues of eating ethiopian food ( the same issues can be applied to eating many other country's cuisine also I might add :o ).. but rather the possiblity of forming a supper club.

I for one think it is an excellent idea, and I hop that one day i can be around to enjoy the company of the members here for good meal.. whichever restaurant it happens to be in.

totster :D

Somehow I can imagine myself participating as well. :D

A supper club meeting always at a certain place would not really make sense.

May I suggest to pick a different place (and cuisine) everytime. This is much more fun as Baht & Sold mentioned (danish stables, ethiopian, and so on) There is such a huge variety of places and cuisines in this city that one should really eat oneself all through the very nice restaurant guide "where to eat in BKK" (available at central chidlom e.g. (80 Baht)). Or based on recommendations in this forum...

count me in :o