Seven Bangkok Districts At Risk Of Flooding

webfact

Whoooo, that would be the "cerise sur le gateau" as we say in my mother tongue. Getting arrested for illegal work when giving out food to flooded elderly 5555

Whatever that can be named- pls be informed. Some ppl already have an issues while trying to help here in LOS. This could be so funny....but yet so sad.

Just be informed...and just do whatever you feel you MUST do. I hope the common sense will prevail to those idiots currently in power.....but, be informed and keep your eyes open. We will miss you, if something...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for your bright answer serenitynow. I posted before I could read you.

You are totaly right and makes me feel better to see that help is still in mind of people (i guess i've stayed already too long in Europe).

All the best for you, your family and neighbours.

You might see me on here later to find some help to help.

Cheers

Edited by happysoul

anyone knows any place to listen 100.5fm online ?

Why not try the radio?

Probably not in Bangkok / broadcast area. Listening online covers the globe for Thai people who are in other provinces or countries who want the local up-to-date info about Bangkok that this station provides.

Hey guys, any official updates about the flooding progress?

Must calm down my wife...somehow. :)

We're on Pathumthani - and yet dry, thanks to Allah.

Did he buy you a raft ?

Im in Nonthaburi and we are dry still too (dont know how long with this raising water) and here we are dry thanks to the effort of me and the villagers.

And please dont take offense it was meant jokingly

Hey guys, any official updates about the flooding progress?

Must calm down my wife...somehow. :)

We're on Pathumthani - and yet dry, thanks to Allah.

Did he buy you a raft ?

Im in Nonthaburi and we are dry still too (dont know how long with this raising water) and here we are dry thanks to the effort of me and the villagers.

And please dont take offense it was meant jokingly

What's your elevation? Anywhere near klongs? We were fine until yesterday - worryingly dry actually, given all that was going on around us. We then had water come from the north and also crossing the road from bang Bua Thong. Just have your place prepared, move as much upstairs and pack some bags to take in case you need to leave quickly. I wasn't quite prepared and didn't quite silicone up my front door as planned - ran out of the stuff and left the new tube in the house lol. Don't know how well it worked, guess I'll find out when I return. Don't know when that will be though; the water could hang around for weeks.

Did he buy you a raft ?

I have a nice swimming underwears, if you prefer. Yet no sunshine, but hey - this won't last too fast....Ha. Ha. :(

I am very familiar with Nontaburee. Where are you located, exactly?

AFAIK, wild water has already flooded the market @the end of Sanam Bin Naam (till the very entrance of Wat Chompuwek, which is about 1km far away from the river)...:(

Next one is Tiwanon rd, the core line of Nontaburi...

What's your elevation? Anywhere near klongs?

As for me, Im right behind the Klong Rangsit (i.e. on Bkk side).

Yueah, yeah, I know - shit happens.... :(

We then had water come from the north and also crossing the road from bang Bua Thong.

BBT is very low land, AFAIK.

I have some pieces of land there, and those get flooded YEARLY, at this time. The waters coming up to my neck or something....Nothing special...

Too close to the river. The soils are also not strong - just a mud, especially when water comes...

Just have your place prepared, move as much upstairs and pack some bags to take in case you need to leave quickly.

As for me - I am NOT going anywhere, whatever going to happen.

I have no other place to go.

I'll stay.

If there will be water - I'll fight that to the end. My end or water's end - who cares... Sooner or later, all of this will end.

anyone knows any place to listen 100.5fm online ?

Why not try the radio?

Probably not in Bangkok / broadcast area. Listening online covers the globe for Thai people who are in other provinces or countries who want the local up-to-date info about Bangkok that this station provides.

No radio at home and easier to manage everything from the laptop too.

What's your elevation? Anywhere near klongs?

As for me, Im right behind the Klong Rangsit (i.e. on Bkk side).

Yueah, yeah, I know - shit happens.... :(

We then had water come from the north and also crossing the road from bang Bua Thong.

BBT is very low land, AFAIK.

I have some pieces of land there, and those get flooded YEARLY, at this time. The waters coming up to my neck or something....Nothing special...

Too close to the river. The soils are also not strong - just a mud, especially when water comes...

Just have your place prepared, move as much upstairs and pack some bags to take in case you need to leave quickly.

As for me - I am NOT going anywhere, whatever going to happen.

I have no other place to go.

I'll stay.

If there will be water - I'll fight that to the end. My end or water's end - who cares... Sooner or later, all of this will end.

Yes, some in my village stayed, some like me left. We had another place to go to. Just be careful with electricity - do you have two floors? I can switch off downstairs and still use power upstairs. But I didn't like the feeling of being stranded among a lot of water, with no power or water. Just take it as it comes, I say.

We had another place to go to. Just be careful with electricity - do you have two floors?

Yep, I got 2-floor private villa + garden here. And not at the roadside, but at the moobaan (they have their own sandbag walls around plus a few of diesel pumps as they announced). Also there are high concrete walls all around the moobaan, up to 3m high or something.

Also the whole area is elevated a bit. And the house has it's own elevation above the moobaan's ground level...

But the klong IS the klong, and it is very near... :(

My wife just scares of looters, and it is the main reason we'll stay.

I can switch off downstairs and still use power upstairs. But I didn't like the feeling of being stranded among a lot of water, with no power or water. Just take it as it comes, I say.

I can switch the whole house off on the switchbox - no problems abt that, as the main power lines are on the pillars - not underground.And the water...well, I can boil the current one - I got a portable gas oven+ballon of NGV or how you call that...

Enough for survive, I bet...

Let's see...

We had another place to go to. Just be careful with electricity - do you have two floors?

Yep, I got 2-floor private villa + garden here. And not at the roadside, but at the moobaan (they have their own sandbag walls around plus a few of diesel pumps as they announced). Also there are high concrete walls all around the moobaan, up to 3m high or something.

Also the whole area is elevated a bit. And the house has it's own elevation above the moobaan's ground level...

But the klong IS the klong, and it is very near... :(

My wife just scares of looters, and it is the main reason we'll stay.

I can switch off downstairs and still use power upstairs. But I didn't like the feeling of being stranded among a lot of water, with no power or water. Just take it as it comes, I say.

I can switch the whole house off on the switchbox - no problems abt that, as the main power lines are on the pillars - not underground.And the water...well, I can boil the current one - I got a portable gas oven+ballon of NGV or how you call that...

Enough for survive, I bet...

Let's see...

I'm also concerned about looters, but think my village will try to maintain security there - a number of neighbours have stayed too. I don't think anyone want my lousy old TV's hehe. Small things of value we took, most of it. We found if the water is deep it comes up along the walls of the village, so need to look out for that. The pumps will be important and will have to work hard to reduce the water level. Good luck!

I'm also concerned about looters, but think my village will try to maintain security there - a number of neighbours have stayed too. I don't think anyone want my lousy old TV's hehe.

They'll see your old TV right AFTER they come to your house....not prior to that.

Here is no way to tell'em "Hey, you;ll find no valuable things at this house - pls dont waste your time!!!"....unfortunately. :(

As a result - they'll came just to check - are you hiding something behind this notice or not...

Unfortunatly i'm not in Thailand yet, will get there in 18 days but if situation is still bad I would be pleased to bring food and other things needed to people that cannot get them.

Don't forget to obtain a work permit prior doing anything!!!

PS: it is just an irony to th govt. Thanks for your offer anyway.

No it is not irony, some people who helped at the Tsunami got problems.

Unfortunatly i'm not in Thailand yet, will get there in 18 days but if situation is still bad I would be pleased to bring food and other things needed to people that cannot get them.

Yes I know.

But I can't change anything here - just be ironical and ignorant, as I am for "90-day reporting" for example....I know that it is a "sad joke", but can we do anything here? :( When you following- it leads to nowhere else but time\money wasting, and if you're not - it leads to the very same, then - why bother...TIT.

Edited by alexakap

Yes. I have met in a few years ago and he seems to be very straightforward person on issues. He gives it to you straight without beating around the bush.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra seems to be the only person with something like a plan and a team working to do all they can for the people they represent unlike the puppet Prime minister and her bunch of buffoons

Here's a link to the government's flood website which includes maps of the flooded areas in Thailand....you can zoom in and out just like using Google Earth....be sure to let the map loaded 100% as the blue color coding for the flooded areas only appears in the last few percent of the map load. Link Other areas/links of the govt web site also identifies roads locations which have some flooding like two low spots on the portion of #9 I just drove through...low spots flooded with a few inches of water for several hundred meters...enough to slow traffic to a near crawl for a kilometer or so.

This map really puts things into perspective. It'll be a miracle if inner Bangkok isn't flooded when this is over.

Site requires M$ Silverllight and I'm running Apple. Guess I'll just have to look out the window.

Hope's the only ticket we have, I guess. Well ... there are the Water Deities. Where's their temple while I don't have have to get my entire lower body wet getting there?

Silverlight works on Apples. Just download the Mac version. I have it on my MacBook Pro.

Yes I know.

But I can't change anything here - just be ironical and ignorant, as I am for "90-day reporting" for example....I know that it is a "sad joke", but can we do anything here? :( When you following- it leads to nowhere else but time\money wasting, and if you're not - it leads to the very same, then - why bother...TIT.

Well what I do: When enter the country, you leave your brain at the immigration. When I leave I pick it up again. That works well.

Now I am ironic....

Announcement of Warning on Flooding Situation in Bangkok (19/10/2011)

Since there have been some complications upon the operation of the dykes at Khlong 3, Khlong 4, Khlong 5 and Khlong 6 of Pathumthani Province imposing further extents of the problems as the volume of over flowing floods from the above Khlongs would combine with the mass volume of the flood from the northern parts of Bangkok resulting the total volume of more than 1,200 million cubic meters. The massive volume of the flood would over flow into the Rangsit Plain affecting the dykes protecting the City of Bangkok and, consequently, the following districts could be inundated:

1. Sai Mai District

2. Khlong Sam Wa District

3. Bang Khen District

4. Nong Chok District

5. Min Buri District

6. Lad Kra Bang District

7. Kan Na Yao District

Hence, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) informs the above situation of the flood and requests the general public to follow the situation very closely, remain calm and prepare the relocation of belongings including replacing electrical outlets to a higher level. BMA will report the development of the situation and issue announcement every three hours so the public could be instructed and prepare appropriate measures accordingly.

BMA would like the general public to be assured that the administration will perform our tasks with the utmost accountability. Furthermore, the administration has already devised the evacuation and mitigation plan for the public which could be further consulted at www.bangkok.go.th and the offices of the above districts or at the Center of the Protection and Flood Relief Operation, BMA tel. no. 1555

M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra

Governor of Bangkok

Dated October 19, 2011

Source: http://thailand.prd....and.php?id=5924

-- thailand.prd.go.th 2011-10-19

Kan Na Yao District

Tonight, Offical of the government warned people and talked about a flooding of 1 M to 1,2 M of water, later Chanel 3 talked about 1,5 M to 2 Meters.

I can't imagine 2 M of water in my area as it the door to RAMA9, ratchada and the city center...

They'll see your old TV right AFTER they come to your house....not prior to that.Here is no way to tell'em "Hey, you;ll find no valuable things at this house - pls dont waste your time!!!"....unfortunately. :(

As a result - they'll came just to check - are you hiding something behind this notice or not...

:lol:

The truly sad thing is that all of these figures, statistics and measurements have been known to a great degree of accuracy for months. They knew how much water fell out of the sky, how much the flow rates were in the rivers, how much was in the resevoirs, and how much the dykes could hold back and the klongs safely transport to the sea.

To have kept the people largely in the dark until a day or two before suggests to me to be absolutely gross negligence. I don't care which party any of them are from because the Bangkok and national governments are on on differing sides of the coin and yet, the secrecy about what they know will happen is extremely patronising.

Nobody could have expected for example Bangkok had 2200mm of accumulated rain or Uttaradit had 2100mm, Royal Thai Meteorology often fails the forecast for the next day and almost always for the following week, you are out of reality if you say THEY (who ?) knew months in advance how much water was gonna fall from the sky. That's impossible.

The ENSO negative was surely an important factor to take into account for a surplus of rain, but again , there are stations few miles away which have NEGATIVE accumulation compared to their average, like Bangkok Pilot, Ratcha Buri and even a couple of stations in the north.

It has rained more exactly in the strategic areas near the Chao Phraya , while it has rained less even 20-30 kilometers away, that's impossible to predict months before and even with 48-72 hours before

It's a unfortunate combination of factors.

This doesn t mean you are right abut prevention, in fact an expensive project which would have saved all this central area including Bangkok province was cancelled after the 2006 military coup by the army because it was though "too expensive". The cost in economy and human losses have already exceeded several times the cost of that project of dams.

This wasn't caused by what will fall from the sky. The rainfall numbers for the North were way over average in August and September. How do I know, because I used to work in agriculture and there is a mass of info out there about average rainfall, beside that anecdotally, me as a humble farang can call a mate and ask how much rain was reported for the north, even down to umphur by umphur info.

Now of course, if you can realise that the rainfall in the space of 2 months is 30 to 40% above average, if shouldn't be too much of a leap of calculation to know what this "will" do to the river flow. The of course, you need to know the actual increase, check the damns and then know that within a pretty good estimate, at least whether your bloody city is going to be inundated at least a few weeks in advance. The agriculture ministry has very good actual data for rainfall across the whole country going back many decades, the meteorology dept has its data, and the irrigation dept and marine dept know what the rivers can carry.

A high school student would have at for a couple of days and worked out what was coming South, how quick it would get there. They knew this was coming long ago, and yet it has become literally all hands to the pumps with a weeks warning.

The weather during September was a combination between the rather active monsoon trough which lay across upper Thailand almost the whole month and the moderate to rather active southwest monsoon prevailed over the Andaman Sea, Thailand and the Gulf of Thailand. This was followed by the remnants of tropical storm “HAITANG” and Typhoon “NESAT” during late September, resulting in abundant rainfall led to widely major flooding across upper Thailand mainly in lower northern and central parts almost the whole month. These conditions brought above normal rainfall in northern part 97.5 mm (46%), northeastern part 110.3 mm (46%), eastern part 132.7 mm (40%) and southern part (west coast) 6.7 mm (2%). For the rest of the country, monthly rainfalls were inversely below normal in central part 4.1 mm (2%) and southern part (east coast) 21.3 mm (15%). Mean temperatures were slightly above normal in most parts except for slightly below normal in northeastern part.

The rather active monsoon trough lay across upper Thailand almost the whole month accompanied with the moderate to rather active southwest monsoon prevailed over the Andaman Sea, Thailand and the Gulf of Thailand. These conditions brought abundant rainfall to upper Thailand that caused flooding in northern and northeastern parts. In southern part, rainfall was mainly observed in middle and late month especially during late month, the active southwest monsoon produced torrential rainfall with flash flood and mudslide along the west coast. August rainfall was above normal i.e. northern part 49.2 mm (22%), northeastern part 66.0 mm (26%), central part 27.9 mm (15%), eastern part 22.2 mm (7%), southern part (east coast) 29.4 mm (23%) and southern part (west coast) 57.2 mm (14%). Mean temperatures were slightly above normal in most parts except for slightly below normal in northeastern part.

Under the influence of the rather active southwest monsoon and the monsoon trough which lay across upper Thailand during the second half of the month, Thailand received abundant rainfall almost the month. Furthermore, the tropical storm “NOCK-TEN” in the middle South China Sea made landfall over upper Vietnam during late July. It moved into Laos and downgraded to tropical depression heading before move to Nan province in Thailand on July 31. Monthly rainfall was above normal in almost areas i.e. northern part 77.1 mm (43%), northeastern part 111.9 mm (54%), central part 62.4 mm (41%), southern part (east coast) 28.0 mm (25%) and southern part (west coast) 9.5 mm (3%) while it was inversely below normal in eastern part 7.5 mm (3%). Mean temperatures were slightly above normal in most parts except for slightly below normal in central part.

During June 2011, the moderate southwest monsoon that prevailed over the Andaman Sea, Thailand and the Gulf of Thailand occasionally strengthened. In addition, the monsoon trough lay across the northern, northeastern, central and eastern parts associated with the low pressure cell covering the Gulf of Tonkin and upper Vietnam in some period. These conditions caused abundant rainfalls in most areas of Thailand almost the month especially in late June that tropical storm “HAIMA” (1104) in the upper South China Sea made landfall over upper Vietnam on June 24. After making landfall, it downgraded to the tropical depression and passed through Lao before weakening to the active low pressure cell and moved further to cover Nan province in northern part of Thailand on June 26. As HAIMA neared upper Thailand the southwest monsoon became more strengthened which resulted in plentiful rainfall and heavy to very heavy rainfall in many areas, producing massive floods that seriously destroyed homes and croplands mainly in northern part during June 25and26. In Southern Thailand, abundant rainfall occurred in some period. Although nearly even distribution of rainfall occurred in the northeastern part and southern part (west coast), those monthly rainfall were 22.7 mm(11%) and 88.6 mm (28%) below normal ,respectively. For the rest of the country, monthly rainfall were inversely above normal in northern part 64.8(43%),central part 27.3 mm (20%), eastern part 5.3 mm(2%) and southern part (east coast) 12.3 mm (11%). Mean monthly temperatures of June were mostly above normal excepted for northern part recorded slightly below normal.

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/climate.php?FileID=3

I know that sometimes the country may appear to be Bangkok centric, but it isn't hard to find out that it has basically been pissing down up river for the last 4 months. This isn't even that detailed a measure, and yet we are now only begging for sandbags for Survanabhumi? They could have started reacting to this in the middle of September, Ayuttaya went under nearly 2 weeks ago, other parts before that, and now as if some massive surprise, we now realise that there is a shit load of water coming after the way above average rains STARTED and have continued since June?

Then they even have damns in between to give even more accurate measurements

http://asiancorrespondent.com/67239/why-was-so-much-water-kept-in-the-dams/

October 6, 2011

Meanwhile in Tak province, water from the Ping River overflowed into two sub-districts and about 100 households have been evacuated. The governor ordered the provincial officials to be vigilant. The Ping River continues to rise after the Bhumibol Dam in Tak released excess water.

In Nakhon Sawan, the Ping River overflowed, flooding homes, many of them now under one metre of water. Local authorities are reinforcing earthen dykes and residents have moved their belongings to higher ground.

Officials have been forced to release water from the two largest dams, Bhumibol and Sirikit, into the Ping and Nan rivers, which feed into the Chao Phraya, said Smith Dharmasaroja, head of the Natural Disaster Warning Foundation.

‘The problem is water management,’ Smith said. ‘We kept too much water in the dams early in the rainy season, and now at the end of the season, they have to release a large amount of water at the same time, which has caused floods.’

http://asiancorrespondent.com/67306/thailand-why-was-so-much-water-kept-in-the-dams-part-ii/

See the data, and obviously Somchai Simpson forgot to open the damns early enough, whilst it continued hammering down with rain upstream.

I wonder how the Bkk governor expects people to move their power plugs to higher ground.

My wife was planning to do some business at the Old Siam Centre, near Yaowarat, this afternoon and was told by the shop not to come because they already had some flooding there.

Announcement of Warning on Flooding Situation in Bangkok (19/10/2011)

Since there have been some complications upon the operation of the dykes at Khlong 3, Khlong 4, Khlong 5 and Khlong 6 of Pathumthani Province imposing further extents of the problems as the volume of over flowing floods from the above Khlongs would combine with the mass volume of the flood from the northern parts of Bangkok resulting the total volume of more than 1,200 million cubic meters. The massive volume of the flood would over flow into the Rangsit Plain affecting the dykes protecting the City of Bangkok and, consequently, the following districts could be inundated:

1. Sai Mai District

2. Khlong Sam Wa District

3. Bang Khen District

4. Nong Chok District

5. Min Buri District

6. Lad Kra Bang District

7. Kan Na Yao District

Hence, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) informs the above situation of the flood and requests the general public to follow the situation very closely, remain calm and prepare the relocation of belongings including replacing electrical outlets to a higher level. BMA will report the development of the situation and issue announcement every three hours so the public could be instructed and prepare appropriate measures accordingly.

BMA would like the general public to be assured that the administration will perform our tasks with the utmost accountability. Furthermore, the administration has already devised the evacuation and mitigation plan for the public which could be further consulted at www.bangkok.go.th and the offices of the above districts or at the Center of the Protection and Flood Relief Operation, BMA tel. no. 1555

M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra

Governor of Bangkok

Dated October 19, 2011

Source: http://thailand.prd....and.php?id=5924

-- thailand.prd.go.th 2011-10-19

I find it unreal that so little is said about the flood and the 2 major airports. The major airport in BKK is built on a swamp, and if it floods, the runways will be possibly undermined, forcing the closure of the airport.

The silence is deafening

Edited by robokop

The seven districts sounds like the government's strategy on the industrial estates. First there is no problem. Then the water flows into zone 1 of Rojana, Nava Kakorn etc and the government pats itself on the back for saving zones 2 and 3. a day later two metres of water rolls in zones 2 and 3. Thousands of factory workers are thrown out of work and made homeless. Meanwhile government ministers cry like babies in front of TV cameras in a sleazy bid to gain political sympathy.

Rumor has it that flood water arrived at Zeer Rangsit overnight (all over at Mor Chit bus terminal), I can confirm it hasn't arrive yet.. probably at Major? Time: 0535AM

Water does not travel straight, I assume it's slowly spreading within the area.

BMA managed to overall a long pipe (assuming to drain water at phaholyothin soi 48) over a span of two weeks. The water level by the canal is actually lower.

Rumor has it that flood water arrived at Zeer Rangsit overnight (all over at Mor Chit bus terminal), I can confirm it hasn't arrive yet.. probably at Major? Time: 0535AM

Water does not travel straight, I assume it's slowly spreading within the area.

BMA managed to overall a long pipe (assuming to drain water at phaholyothin soi 48) over a span of two weeks. The water level by the canal is actually lower.

Just go and see Klong Rangsit or Prapa.

They are full.

Water coming to houses near Srisaman, Wat Nawong and around.

Not a rumors - just go and see yourself. I'll meet ya here...