Ducati Monster 795

nikster

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is the non ABS beast, my mate says it looks like a transformer and stealth fighter, it is an amazing bike!!! but very thirsty!!

Nice bike. Was really keen on the Ninja1000 (Z1000sx) for a while, but they don't seem to make sport bars for it. Does anyone know how the riding position on the 795 is like by comparison? Hard to tell when looking at pics.

This is the non ABS beast, my mate says it looks like a transformer and stealth fighter, it is an amazing bike!!! but very thirsty!!

Nice bike. Was really keen on the Ninja1000 (Z1000sx) for a while, but they don't seem to make sport bars for it. Does anyone know how the riding position on the 795 is like by comparison? Hard to tell when looking at pics.

I am 6'4" the driving position on the 795 is awful, I hated every minute I drove it, my crotch was forced into the tank and the handlebars are to low for a naked bike, 10 mins and I had had enough, straight down to Kawasaki!!

ABS gives newbs the ability to brake as well or better than professionals. You'll go faster because you can stop better. So - what's not to like?

I was once taking a corner a bit too fast on my ER-6n, was about to go off into the bushes, road was a bit wet with lots of tree crap on it, I got the bike straight and pulled the brakes HARD.... came to an almost stop and made the corner OK. Huge fan of the ABS :) ... without ABS, I never would have tried to brake that hard.... it's like in those ABS tests, most riders never thought they could get as much stopping power on a wet surface so they stop way more cautiously than they'd need to. With ABS, just slam it and it's OK. Or brake sensibly, but know that the ABS is there should you overdo it....

I am 6'4" the driving position on the 795 is awful, I hated every minute I drove it, my crotch was forced into the tank and the handlebars are to low for a naked bike, 10 mins and I had had enough, straight down to Kawasaki!!

Well that's great news. I can't stand the upright riding position of the ER6n/Ninja650 which is why I had sport bars on it. When I punch it I don't want to feel like I have to hang on with my arms/hands. Felt like I was going to fall over backwards. Energy should be transferred down through the saddle. How as it compared to a stock ER6n/Ninja650?

Well that's great news. I can't stand the upright riding position of the ER6n/Ninja650 which is why I had sport bars on it. When I punch it I don't want to feel like I have to hang on with my arms/hands. Felt like I was going to fall over backwards. Energy should be transferred down through the saddle. How as it compared to a stock ER6n/Ninja650?

Go to Ducati and test drive the 795 bikes are a personal choice, love the look of the Ducati but for me it is not a good bike to drive. I hate supersport bike riding position it is not safe to lay on the tank doing high speed on a public road, my opinion of course.

Edited by kawapower

How does the riding position of the 795 compare to the Ninja 650? I am 6';2" and found the Ninja comfy on a multi day tour I did a couple of years ago.

The Ninja 650 is far better, the Ducati is a strange bike in fact for me it is horrible but looks good untill you sit on it!!

Sorry! It was a typo on my part.

I bought the 795.

No way I would pay an extra 250,000 or thereabouts for the 796 which is in most respects the same.

That's why I asked the question.

I was really struggling with the extra $$$ for what is essentially the same bike with a few upgrades.

Thank's for clarifying.

Well I bought the 796. Literally. After a 20 minute test ride I signed on the dotted line. I am expecting delivery in June.

Overall I think it is a great package at what, by Thai standards, is a very reasonable price.

I have owned a couple of Ducatis before so I was unphased by things such as the hopeless mirrors.

The salesman was trying to sell me a set of accessory mirrors at, I think he said, THB 14,000! I don't think so mate.

The bars are not quite right for me but I need more kms to work out what to change. I am relatively small at 5'8" and 60 kgs. My first impression was that the bars are two wide for me rather than too low.

I was getting some wheelspin in second gear at less than full throttle. Could have been something on the road surface but I will most likely change to Pirelli Rosso tyres, as used on the 796, when the originals are worn out. They should give more traction.

Perhaps unsurprisingly my 2009 CBR150R will shortly be posted in the classifieds.

In the Jungle, I am trying to decide on the 795, 796 or just get a ER6N.

I'm sure you looked at the 795. Was it just the ABS that tipped the balance. Or was is the single swing arm and the wheels that helped?

At 658k baht, the 796 just feels overpriced for the few upgrades over the 795...but I really value ABS.

What were your thoughts?

Why do you value ABS, is your driving so bad you need to depend on ABS? if you drive too fast in the dry or wet and too close without looking ahead then you need ABS, ABS will not save you if a car etc pulls out in front of you at the last minute, it will not save you if you corner to fast and lose control!! get over ABS it is an expensive option on most bikes, 40 yrs of driving bikes and cars and I have never needed ABS, yes I drive fast when I can but always drive within my limits!!

I've also never had ABS on any past bikes, but on some of my cars I have, and it has proved worthwhile.

I am an agressive rider so if ABS is a reasonable price, why wouldn't I take it?

This afternoon while cruising home for lunch a pick-up truck pull out of a carwash and straight into my path (single lane carriageway) He obviously realised i was pretty close to coming into contact with him so he booted his modified pick-up truck and pulled a little distance between himself and my bike. The only issue with him doing so was all of the water that had collected in his cargo area spilled out on to the tarmac and made this relatively tame and low speed situation 10 times worse. I'm sure if it wasn't for my ABS i would have initially locked the front wheel and had to focus most of my attention to varying the pressure applied to the front lever instead of looking for ways out of a potential accident.

My previous bike (a ZX6R) never had ABS and as much as i loved that bike and it's abilities i highly doubt it would have remained as composed as the bike i currently have with it's ABS system. :)

Sorry, i realise this is a Ducati thread but i noticed a debate about ABS and thought i would add my 2p :)

This afternoon while cruising home for lunch a pick-up truck pull out of a carwash and straight into my path (single lane carriageway) He obviously realised i was pretty close to coming into contact with him so he booted his modified pick-up truck and pulled a little distance between himself and my bike. The only issue with him doing so was all of the water that had collected in his cargo area spilled out on to the tarmac and made this relatively tame and low speed situation 10 times worse. I'm sure if it wasn't for my ABS i would have initially locked the front wheel and had to focus most of my attention to varying the pressure applied to the front lever instead of looking for ways out of a potential accident.

My previous bike (a ZX6R) never had ABS and as much as i loved that bike and it's abilities i highly doubt it would have remained as composed as the bike i currently have with it's ABS system. smile.png

Sorry, i realise this is a Ducati thread but i noticed a debate about ABS and thought i would add my 2p smile.png

I am surprised by some of the attitudes to ABS.

If that same logic was applied to cars, some people wouldn't need airbags, collapsable steering columns, crumple zones etc because they had ridden 40 years and never had the need for them...yet.

Even if you don't think you needs ABS because you ride slow...isn't it better to have it than not?

As Karlos just proved...you never know when you will need it.

One thing that is for sure is that the Ducatti has not affected the sales of Kawa. I went do to the local dealer in Pattaya and asked about the Er-6n and the sales guy told me it would be about a three month wait and they ahd around 70 on order.

Can someone tell me what luggage options are available for the 795

its a new bike ,might be too early to have a lot of luggage options yet

givi wil be out with a kit im sure if this bike is to be sold in high numbers

allover asia

One thing that is for sure is that the Ducatti has not affected the sales of Kawa. I went do to the local dealer in Pattaya and asked about the Er-6n and the sales guy told me it would be about a three month wait and they ahd around 70 on order.

70? Whoa!!

I've had my 795 for about three weeks now and I love it. I've had motorcycles most of my life back in the US but this is the first one that I've had in Thailand except for my Honda Airblade . I've never had a bike that had ABS so I don't miss it. It is a little uncomfortable getting through congested traffic in Pattaya and it gets a little warm at an extended stoplight (not the engine, it keeps its normal temperature but the rider). That is to be expected but I'm having a blast with it and I'm glad that I bought it.

• 3 months later...