URGENT: Bangkok Governor Orders Evacuation Of Residents Of 27 Communities

webfact

If there is as of yet no water lapping against your front gate, chances are there won't be. .. and let's be frank: If my area hasn't been inundated by now, it's not going to happen, that much is certain. If you are in the same position as I am, my advice is: Calm down, don't listen to your panicking wife, open a bottle of beer and enjoy your Saturday evening. 'Nuff said.

Not very good advice IMO but good luck.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I noticed that too!

Amazing!

Everyone will be glad to know that their fav korean soap is on channel 3, gameshow on 5, sitcom on 7 and 9, nbt is showing old footage of flooding from today, only tnn deams it a big enough story to go live with it.

<Snip!>.... I'm coming to bangkok on the second and i will be staying near the Chao Phya river on the other side of the saphan taksin bridge even if i'm going to be on the 9th floor its going to put a dent in my holiday plans. any advice guys?

Bring your wellies. :lol:

Checking Chao Praya river north of Ratchawithi. 25 centimetres to the top. Frantic sand-bagging by locals, looks way too late/Via@aleursic

Chao Praya is not looking good unsure.gif

Chao Praya is looking steady. We are at Bangplad Soi 70/2 about 500m north of Saphan Krung Thon. Water level has dropped since this tweet. We are watching it closely as our apartment is directly on the river.

Edited by draftvader

Oh, I see somebody did the translation - looks better than mine. We were busy moving the fridge up from the ground floor.

We'd left it down there on top of a table when we moved everything else up last week , but I told the mrs to get some win-motorsai's round as I was fed up of traipsing down to chan G to get my beers! :)

(hic, that curry went down a treat).

Edited by badmedicine

By what stretch of the imagination is this not a state of emergency - Thailand should be asking the rest of the world to help not pretending that it will all be alright!

I will never in a million years understand this "loss of face" thing - life is much more simple "if you are in trouble ask for help" and when you are not in trouble look for others that need help!

I really hope that something is done before any more people needlessly lose their lives - they could have evacuated areas days ago in an orderly fashion - now they are opening the way for panic. I dont think this government or PM are particularly responsible since it seems that no Thai public figures are ever prepared to admit there are problems they cant deal with!

The thai goverment asked the World Bank and UN for help last week- a massive needs assessment is underway coordinated by the bank. UN will provide relief support.

Thailand just gave money to Cambodia and Vietnam for flood relief. What the heck is going on?

If there is as of yet no water lapping against your front gate, chances are there won't be. .. and let's be frank: If my area hasn't been inundated by now, it's not going to happen, that much is certain. If you are in the same position as I am, my advice is: Calm down, don't listen to your panicking wife, open a bottle of beer and enjoy your Saturday evening. 'Nuff said.

Not very good advice IMO but good luck.

Agreed.. A lot of water yet to come and new higher tides next week no time to let one's guard down yet..

I do agree with ignoring the panicking wife though I've had to deal with a bit of that myself. Buy life jackets she says! :lol: And we're many kilos from the nearest barriers or dykes on some of the highest ground and already numerous floating devices around in a worst case scenario..

Check out the latest tweets on the rising Chaopraya .... according to the nation, someone made the following statement regarding the rising water level ....

"So far, the reasons behind the sharp rise in water level of the Chao Phraya River has remained unknown and unidentified"

Whoever said this must be waking up from a 4 day hang-over.

Everyone will be glad to know that their fav korean soap is on channel 3, gameshow on 5, sitcom on 7 and 9, nbt is showing old footage of flooding from today, only tnn deams it a big enough story to go live with it.

Exactly, its a joke, also they show these slow motion videos about the flooding and mix it with emotional pity songs, what a joke is this, i just laugh.. But pity those families who live on daily income and now no house, no jobs, no food, no nothing, well done khun mai pen rais... Anyway, its a natural disaster regarding the changing climate same like Katrina or other so they have to put their best efforts to tell the ppl the truth not showing this useless dramas all the time...

Check out the latest tweets on the rising Chaopraya .... according to the nation, someone made the following statement regarding the rising water level ....

"So far, the reasons behind the sharp rise in water level of the Chao Phraya River has remained unknown and unidentified"

Whoever said this must be waking up from a 4 day hang-over.

Hey it's not that easy without the latest Doppler radar.

Would this include Ratchada? I need to know please thanks.

Coming in a little now at the Ratchada/Prachachuen intersection where that large canal is.. I also see it coming out of the drains as i turned onto Ratcahda rd. Fingers and toes crossed :)

wait until it starts coming into your house through the bathroom drains (assuming you're in a house or you're on the ground floor). It's like the &lt;deleted&gt; draino monster coming to get you ! :bah:

Which is why, if you are in an at risk area, you should have already plugged all toilets and drains on the ground floor...

post-56035-0-34476400-1319284567_thumb.j

We're packing our bags and getting ready to leave town IF things get out of hand.

Good luck everyone!

Here is a copy and paste from The Nation:

Bangkok governor orders evacuations of residents of 27 communities

October 22, 2011 6:03 am

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra Saturday issued a warning for residents of 27 communities along Chao Phya River to evacuate immediately.

The governor issued the warning at 4:28 pm. He said residents of the 27 communities outside flood barriers should leave their homes immediately as the river is swelling.

(end of quote)

my comment: That's HOT news, of course. However, it grossly falls short of adequate information. Maybe the Governor didn't say, and the Nation didn't either: what are those 27 communities? Seems like essential information, to me.

I imagine I'm not the only one waiting to find out the answer!

I agree the best way to get updates is Twitter. I am bewildered by the ever differing bits of information. I understood if we made it through the last weekend, we were safe. Today I am hearing we may be under water for the next 4 or 6 weeks...

Exactly, its a joke, also they show these slow motion videos about the flooding and mix it with emotional pity songs, what a joke is this, i just laugh.. But pity those families who live on daily income and now no house, no jobs, no food, no nothing, well done khun mai pen rais... Anyway, its a natural disaster regarding the changing climate same like Katrina or other so they have to put their best efforts to tell the ppl the truth not showing this useless dramas all the time...

Natural disaster? Insurance companies may see it as a man made disaster owing to holding back the water then opening the flood gates. Could possibly save them a heap of claims.

don't know if this is helpful? " families in 27 communities in 13 districts outside the flood walls along the Chao Phraya River, the Bangkok Noi Canal and the Maha Sawat Canal are still at risk. The 13 districts are: Bang Sue, Dusit, Phra Nakhon, Samphanthawong, Bang Kholaem, Yannawa, Klong Toey, Bang Phlad, Bangkok Noi, Thonburi, Klong San, Rat Burana and Thawi Watthana. "

Is there a list of the 27 communities that should evacuate?

I guess the same as always in Thailand-

UP TO YOU.

Here is a copy and paste from The Nation:

Bangkok governor orders evacuations of residents of 27 communities

October 22, 2011 6:03 am

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra Saturday issued a warning for residents of 27 communities along Chao Phya River to evacuate immediately.

The governor issued the warning at 4:28 pm. He said residents of the 27 communities outside flood barriers should leave their homes immediately as the river is swelling.

(end of quote)

my comment: That's HOT news, of course. However, it grossly falls short of adequate information. Maybe the Governor didn't say, and the Nation didn't either: what are those 27 communities? Seems like essential information, to me.

I imagine I'm not the only one waiting to find out the answer!

the 27 districts have been posted and are here:

list of 27 Riverside Communities Ordered to Evacuate

UPDATE : 22 October 2011

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is evacuating 27 riverside communities in 13 districts as follows:

1. Khlong Bang Khen Mai, 16 households

2. Rama 6 (near river), 25 households

3. Keaw Kai Ka, 20 households

4. Soi Si Kam (the end of Sam Saen Soi 19), 11 households

5. Ratchapa Thuptim Ruamjai (foot of Krungthon Bridge), 40 households

6. End of Soi Mitrkam (Sam Sean Soi 13), 140 households,

7. Tawaratch Khunchorn, 40 households

8. Tah Wang (Pier), 16 households

9. Tah Chang (Pier) , 25 households

10. Tah Tien (Pier), 120 households

11. Pathum Kongka Temple, 12 households

12. Talad Noi, 10 households

13. Behind Chareonkrung Pracharak Hospital, 14 households

14. Rear of Soi Mathanusorn, 31 households

15. Bangklo Nok Temple, 36 households

16. In front of Inbanchong Temple, 13 households

17. Rhong Si, Rama 3 Rd, 60 households

18. Suansai (on the banks of Prakanong Canal), 9 households

19. Chatkaew Templed, 8 households

20. Dusit Nimitmai, 23 households

21. Santichonsongkror, 153 households

22. Opening of Namtal Canal, Pinpat Canal, 103 households

23. Trok Wang Lung, 66 households

24. Opening of Bangkok Yai Canal, 12 households

25. Chareonnakorn Soi 29/2, 11 households

26. Dao Kanong, 157 households

27. Bhuranawas Temple, 38 households

Edited by ThreeProperty

Would this include Ratchada? I need to know please thanks.

Coming in a little now at the Ratchada/Prachachuen intersection where that large canal is.. I also see it coming out of the drains as i turned onto Ratcahda rd. Fingers and toes crossed :)

wait until it starts coming into your house through the bathroom drains (assuming you're in a house or you're on the ground floor). It's like the &lt;deleted&gt; draino monster coming to get you ! :bah:

Which is why, if you are in an at risk area, you should have already plugged all toilets and drains on the ground floor...

post-56035-0-34476400-1319284567_thumb.j

We're packing our bags and getting ready to leave town IF things get out of hand.

Good luck everyone!

And HOW do you "plug" your toilets please?