Why Do They Put Their Leg Out In Gp Racing?

thaicbr

There was a program on tv recently, 1000 bikes rally or something. Kenny Roberts senior started it, as scuba buddha says, its from his moto x days, helped him get round corners quicker. Not only that but it makes your bike wider if someone is trying to pass you!

Made me wonder too so I found and copied this from another site.

Seems like the most logical explanation.

To answer the question of how the leg wave started, and find out the underlying reason, we need to go back in history to find its first appearance. A quick survey of paddock opinion says that the first time that anyone - including long-time veterans - remembers seeing that now legendary leg wave was at Jerez in 2005, in the last-gasp, last-corner move in which Rossi jammed his Yamaha M1 up the inside of Sete Gibernau's Gresini Honda, barely in control, and Gibernau tried to close the door too late. That move ended up defining the 2005 World Championship, and put Rossi at a psychological advantage over title rival Gibernau which saw him clinch the title with relative ease by the end of the season.

The move at that time was born out of a combination of desperation, determination and a feeling that he had nothing left to lose. It worked - both the pass and the leg wave - and Rossi associated that waving of the leg with the success of that pass. Like all things that Rossi associates with success - the color yellow, the ritual of supplication he performs before getting on the bike, the frankly unsightly picking at his leathers as he rides out of pit lane - he has elaborated on the leg wave and further incorporated it into his routine, seeing it as another weapon in his arsenal of luck, helping to sway the odds in his favor.

Over the years, the leg waving has become more prominent, almost theatrical, Rossi's leg describing circles before he places it back on the footpeg. And that increase in theatricality betrays the way that Rossi views the leg wave: It is becoming less and less a physical act and more and more something entirely psychological, almost religious. It has become a totem, a symbol of his intentions and a petition to the gods of overtaking to help him get past the upstart who has been foolish enough to get ahead of him. It has become part of Rossi's mojo.

Made me wonder too so I found and copied this from another site.

Seems like the most logical explanation.

To answer the question of how the leg wave started, and find out the underlying reason, we need to go back in history to find its first appearance. A quick survey of paddock opinion says that the first time that anyone - including long-time veterans - remembers seeing that now legendary leg wave was at Jerez in 2005, in the last-gasp, last-corner move in which Rossi jammed his Yamaha M1 up the inside of Sete Gibernau's Gresini Honda, barely in control, and Gibernau tried to close the door too late. That move ended up defining the 2005 World Championship, and put Rossi at a psychological advantage over title rival Gibernau which saw him clinch the title with relative ease by the end of the season.

The move at that time was born out of a combination of desperation, determination and a feeling that he had nothing left to lose. It worked - both the pass and the leg wave - and Rossi associated that waving of the leg with the success of that pass. Like all things that Rossi associates with success - the color yellow, the ritual of supplication he performs before getting on the bike, the frankly unsightly picking at his leathers as he rides out of pit lane - he has elaborated on the leg wave and further incorporated it into his routine, seeing it as another weapon in his arsenal of luck, helping to sway the odds in his favor.

Over the years, the leg waving has become more prominent, almost theatrical, Rossi's leg describing circles before he places it back on the footpeg. And that increase in theatricality betrays the way that Rossi views the leg wave: It is becoming less and less a physical act and more and more something entirely psychological, almost religious. It has become a totem, a symbol of his intentions and a petition to the gods of overtaking to help him get past the upstart who has been foolish enough to get ahead of him. It has become part of Rossi's mojo.

Oh ok. So nothing to do with super riding.. I don't have to start doing it to get my Cbr250 around corners? That's a reliefcool.gif

I like the Thai version.

The lights are red, the heat shimmering off the clear raceway in front of you, the tension's building, the 1974 Honda Wave next to you is smoking, the rider twitching in energetic anticipation as he checks out your machine among the revs of his 110cc beast, hands and feet nervously unsteady, then before the light hits green he's off, redlining at 6000rpm, body in full tuck, the smoke clears as everyone else waves it away from their faces, he's 20 meters in front of everyone, no one along side him, the victor, he isn't only going to humiliate you through victory, but embarrass you through gloating, the leg comes out, it announcing his great victory via a few flicks of the foot and waves of the knee, clearly the better rider has won. :rolleyes:

And I was only going down to the seven to buy some milk.

Edited by hehehoho

I like the Thai version.

The lights are red, the heat shimmering off the clear raceway in front of you, the tension's building, the 1974 Honda Wave next to you is smoking, the rider twitching in energetic anticipation, then before the green light hits he's off, redlining at 6000rpm, body in full tuck, the smoke clears as everyone else waves it away from their faces, he's 20 meters in front of everyone, no one along side him, the victor, he isn't only going to humiliate you through victory, but embarrass you through gloating, the leg comes out, it announcing his great victory via a few flicks of the foot and waves of the knee, clearly the better rider has won. :rolleyes:

And I was only going down to the seven to buy some milk.

your 7/11 has milk in stock...wow your luckybiggrin.gif

Anyone who's come from motocross or supermotard knows exactly why he does it. The hardest part is actually doing it without looking like a fool and why no one really does it.

Totally different and not related.. in motocross they touch the ground, talking about massive difference in speeds as well !

Anyone who's come from motocross or supermotard knows exactly why he does it. The hardest part is actually doing it without looking like a fool and why no one really does it.

Totally different and not related.. in motocross they touch the ground, talking about massive difference in speeds as well !

Agreed, in Motocross it's all about weight distribution as you go through the corner - not before you get there. You slide your weight forward in your seat going into the corner, weight the outside peg and extend the inside leg (forwards not outwards) towards the front end which increases the effect - touching the inside leg on the ground can also keep you upright if you start to slide out the rear end mid corner at relatively low speeds.

On road bikes I'm not sure why you'd do it way before the corner and then lift your foot back onto the peg for the corner. Doesn't make sense to me. I do it when I get cramp (which I only get on my left leg for some reason). Personally I think Rossi did it a few times to block a move or because he was uncomfortable so now other people do it. I think it will die out in a couple of years.

I think that it also has to do with helping balance the bike out whilst breaking.These guys are trying to squeeze every last inch out of the track before braking , you can see in the photo that ScubaBuddha posted that the rear wheels are barely if at all touching the track making the back end very light.Maybe it is all physiological,who knows ! but one thing is for sure,i will be taking their word for it because there is no way i would have the b@lls to try it.

Well now if I may indulge ! my thoughts on this (leg wave) is that is only a variation on what a lot of us used to do on the track ,coming down the straight at high speed you need to wash speed before the corner ,so some of the riders would raise their upward and splay the legs outward ,(kind of like a small parachute) to assist with braking it also helps to shift some weight onto the rear tyre with minimul affect, so doing these things it would help the balance of the bike and refocus the riders approach into the corner and hopefully out of the corner at a higher speed. ;;; but maybe I am only dreaming these guys go a lot faster than we ever could imagine.

I think they are just adding some break power :whistling:

+1 to that.

On the basis that most riders dangle their right leg the majority of the time, it would lead me to think along the same lines as you.

There would be huge drag caused by a leg sticking out from the bike's fairing and considering that the rider would have to navigate left and right hand turns but only sticks out their right leg makes me think it's for added wind breaking..... Ohh err 'wind breaking' clenching!!

Edited by karlos