Surge Protector Or Ups Necessary?

uhuh

Should I use a surge protector and/or uninterruptible power supply with my PC?

I am in BKK, have a power outage maybe once or twice a month, use Windows XP professional and don't have any data on my PC that I could not afford to lose, I just worry about damage to the PC itself, especially the hardware (not the data).

And would a stand-by (as opposed to on-line) power system be good enough?

I consider it absolutely necesary!

When power goes of, it often comes back on with a pretty big spike...

Had already a fried fridge ( :o ) like this, luckily all my expensive equipment was behind a UPS (including an expensive lcd projector!)

Depends on your budget.

I would certainly get a good quality surge arrestor for the power and phone line, even if you buy a UPS. In order to work properly it will require a correctly grounded outlet.

For you UPS, a cheapie won't protect you from low or high supply voltages like an on-line one will but it's better than nothing and considerably cheaper.

I know that there have been some posts on surge protectors and UPSes in the past.

I would welcome some current recommendations on models generally available here in Thailand.

What brand/model do you use? How many devices do you use it for (more than one PC, a printer, a monitor, etc.)? How much did/does it cost/ Why do you recommend (or not) it?

How do you choose one for a specific set-up? Is it just the number of available outlets (surge protection), and power requirements (UPS)?

Edited by lomatopo

What brand/model do you use? How many devices do you use it for (more than one PC, a printer, a monitor, etc.)? How much did/does it cost/ Why do you recommend (or not) it?

How do you choose one for a specific set-up? Is it just the number of available outlets (surge protection), and power requirements (UPS)?

I manage over 100 computers at the university and have settled on APC for all my UPS requirements. This was based on past history of other brands (failure, support, etc.). APC has been the most reliable but at a higher cost.

Distribution of UPS:

Individuals - 1 500 VA per user supporting PC, monitor and printer. Requirements based on UPS capacity, surge protection and outlets.

Groups - 1 3000VA supporting computer room with 8 PCs & monitors, 1 printer. Again capacity, outlets, and remote (lan) management.

Network - 1 500VA per network switch group (2 sets)

Servers - 1 1000VA for 2 network servers, one printer, scanner, 1 monitor. Selection based on power requirements, outlets, automatic server shutdown support (software/lan connection), and most of all reliability.

Modem lines have separate surge protection module. Interbuilding UTP network connections have surge protection modules.

At home I use a Powercom (500VA with modem surge protection jacks). Have been using it for 5 years with no problems. Choice was based on lower cost but reliable. Connected to PC, 2 LCD monitors, scanner, printer, external USB hard drive.

Due to my house not having 3 pin power outlets, I drove a ground stake through the floor in the computer room and connected the 3rd pin on all outlets to this. Works great.

tywais Thanks. :o

Do all UPS have surge protection built-in?

I have three-prong outlets but am not sure if they are truly grounded. Is there anyway to find out if they are, without endangering myself, of course. :D

Would a 500 VA UPS unit be enough for an ADSL modem/router/WiFi AP (single, integrated unit) in addition to a single PC and associated gear?

Edited by lomatopo

tywais Thanks.  :o

Do all UPS have surge protection built-in?

Generally yes (AC Line surge protections). Some of the UPS units (other brands) that have failed we dismantled to see what was wrong. Often it was the MOV surge protectors on the front end of the AC line that have blown up. All UPS we opened up had the same MOV protection devices in them.

Now if you are referring to phone line (modem) surge protections not all have them and you need to check the specs of the specific model. Not a large price difference between one with and without.

You can look here to get an idea of models available, prices and features.

http://www.shop4thai.com/en/category/?cat=139

I have three-prong outlets but am not sure if they are truly grounded. Is there anyway to find out if they are, without endangering myself, of course. :D
Can be a bit tricky if you don't know what you are doing. However, if you have access to a volt/ohm meter you place the meter to volts AC and check between the hot and neutral and should be around 220VAC. Then check between the hot and the ground pin (3rd pin) and it should also see 220VAC. After that then put the meter into ohms and check between the neutral and the ground and you should have close to zero ohms.

Another way is to put the meter in Volts AC and put one lead on something metal on the back of your PC (power supply case would be good) and the other lead to the ground (3rd pin) of your outlet. If you see around 110VAC (not a typo, the EMI filters split the voltage in half through capacitors and connect to the case) then it is not grounded.

Would a 500 VA UPS unit be enough for an ADSL modem/router/WiFi AP (single, integrated unit) in addition to a single PC and associated gear?

Well, you see what I have connected to my 500VA. I also have a WiFi access point unit. If you are only wanting time to shut the system down when the power fails then 500VA will get you about 10-15 minutes time (my setup). The ADSL gear does not add a lot to the power load of the UPS. You could go up a level to 700VA if you feel you are more comfortable and price isn't an issue.