Remembrance Service 11/11/11

Basset

Whilst the Remembrance Sunday Service at the British Embassy has been cancelled due to the flood situation in Bangkok (A small low key service may go ahead), the Royal British Legion Service of Remembrance will still be held at St Nikolaus Church on Friday 11th November, seated by 10:40am, everyone welcome and there will be light refreshments after the service.

Poppy Boxes are out and about in Pattaya and Jontiem along with the dark side. So far this year we have spent almost 500,000 Baht on welfare cases in Thailand, your poppy money is well used.

Many thanks

Bert

Bert ---- dont know you but would it be an idea to put or do you have a poppy box in the Regents school ---- lots of Brits around and the school is civic minded - allegedly.

Hi Gers

We have had boxes in Regents for the last four years along with St Andrews and Garden International, you are correct in that they are all very civic minded.

Whilst the service is held in St Nikolaus Church it is in fact a Royal British Legion Service of Remembrance.

I note that the UK Embassy is still showing the Remembrance Service in their website, and have just posted a note on their Facebook page advising people to email if they want to attend.

Am I to assume it's back on?

I only ask because I was going to attend.

I note that the UK Embassy is still showing the Remembrance Service in their website, and have just posted a note on their Facebook page advising people to email if they want to attend.

Am I to assume it's back on?

I only ask because I was going to attend.

Hi Old Git,

The information they gave me was it was cancelled but if possible a low key service would be held with no reception after, It's not just the water problem, they cant get seating or Tents as they are all being used for relief work. I would as you say keep checking the website.

Shame on the Embassy.

The Service and Reception had ALREADY been "scaled down" prior to any flooding, with only "light (non-alcoholic) refreshments" after the service and "all guests are asked to leave" by 1 o'clock, unlike previous years when those veterans who had risked their lives serving their country were invited by the Embassy to spend the afternoon in the garden meeting fellow veterans and remembering the fallen.

Now, "because of the flooding and uncertainty in Bangkok we have decided to scale down the ceremony on 13th. We will hold a short ceremony around the memorial for those who can make it and offer a chance to lay a wreath. There will be no bands, march past or reception afterwards. More importantly there will be no tents as they are all out on flood relief. We can offer a few chairs for those who need them but it will be a very basic service."

The Embassy is NOT flooded. There appears to be NO likelihood whatsoever of the Embassy or the area around it being flooded. The "tents" have previously only been used during the service and were largely unnecessary, providing limited shade. There is simply NO practical reason for the day not to have gone ahead as in previous years (or even as planned), and (most importantly) NO reason to change the Service of Remembrance; some attending may have found it more difficult to attend than usual, but for most veterans that would be even more reason to make the effort and to ensure that their fallen comrades were not forgotten.

Remembrance Day Services and Receptions have been held across Britain and in British Embassies throughout the world since 1919, come hell or high water, and to have it "scaled down" is inexcusable.

Are there any Rememberence events without the religious angle? It seems a shame to turn a national day into something just for a small minority.

melonf and Theo007, the "religious angle" really is of as much or as little importance as anyone attending cares to give it for themselves. Although the Service was originally to remember the Commonwealth fallen from WWI it has a far wider significance now, particularly with the ever changing list of who is/was "for or against us", and most of those attending or observing a two minute silence do so out of mutual respect for all fallen soldiers on all sides.

Shame on the Embassy.

The Service and Reception had ALREADY been "scaled down" prior to any flooding, with only "light (non-alcoholic) refreshments" after the service and "all guests are asked to leave" by 1 o'clock, unlike previous years when those veterans who had risked their lives serving their country were invited by the Embassy to spend the afternoon in the garden meeting fellow veterans and remembering the fallen.

Now, "because of the flooding and uncertainty in Bangkok we have decided to scale down the ceremony on 13th. We will hold a short ceremony around the memorial for those who can make it and offer a chance to lay a wreath. There will be no bands, march past or reception afterwards. More importantly there will be no tents as they are all out on flood relief. We can offer a few chairs for those who need them but it will be a very basic service."

The Embassy is NOT flooded. There appears to be NO likelihood whatsoever of the Embassy or the area around it being flooded. The "tents" have previously only been used during the service and were largely unnecessary, providing limited shade. There is simply NO practical reason for the They are still day not to have gone ahead as in previous years (or even as planned), and (most importantly) NO reason to change the Service of Remembrance; some attending may have found it more difficult to attend than usual, but for most veterans that would be even more reason to make the effort and to ensure that their fallen comrades were not forgotten.

Remembrance Day Services and Receptions have been held across Britain and in British Embassies throughout the world since 1919, come hell or high water, and to have it "scaled down" is inexcusable.

You are being a bit harsh here. Ever consider that tents etc where hired as they had limited use. Or that they have been used by staff of the Embassy whose houses are under water, since they don't all live in the Embassy. Get down to Pattaya and I am sure sure Bert can get you a beer at his bar if alcohol is so important to your remembrance activities. Members of the Legion have regular get togethers and they don't need one day year to remember the sacrifices.

You are being a bit harsh here. Ever consider that tents etc where hired as they had limited use. Or that they have been used by staff of the Embassy whose houses are under water, since they don't all live in the Embassy. Get down to Pattaya and I am sure sure Bert can get you a beer at his bar if alcohol is so important to your remembrance activities. Members of the Legion have regular get togethers and they don't need one day year to remember the sacrifices.

Remembrance Day IS the one day a year when veterans formally remember and pay their respects to those who are unable to be with them - it has nothing to do with having a beer, having regular get togethers, or tents. Cancelling the bands, march past and reception is unnecessary and inexcusable and downscaling the service itself is unforgivable.

Ex-servicemen (and women) remember and respect the fallen in different ways but Remembrance Sunday is of unique significance and while the Royal British Legion is the custodian of Remembrance, the service at the War Memorial in the British Embassy is strictly an Embassy responsibility, not an RBL one (just as the National Service of Remembrance at the Cenotaph in London is a government responsibility) and the Embassy is not meeting its responsibilities by "scaling down" its activities. I understand that may not mean much or be important to some people, but it is of importance to others and the Embassy should respect that.

Edited by LeCharivari

Please calm down a bit guys. If there's one day not to fight it's this one.

Pay your respects in whatever way you wish. People died so that others can have the freedom of religion, including no religion. Honour them by having a little tolerance today please.