Ikea Thailand To Open On Time

webfact

Ikea to open on time, but without usual hoopla

Kwanchai Rungfapaisarn

The Nation

Despite the flood threat, Ikea yesterday confirmed the launch tomorrow of its first mega-store on Bang Na-Trat Road, but as a "soft" instead of a "grand" opening.

"We are no different from many others. We have put an emergency response team in place led by a risk manager we flew in from Luxembourg," said Lars Svensson, marketing manager for Ikano (Thailand).

The company has identified critical areas that could have a severe impact or stop its operations and has protected them accordingly.

It has prepared sandbags and pumps, put up brick walls and brought in lifting equipment, and it is shifting goods.

Trucks and boats plus shuttle buses have been secured to take people away from the site. Generators are on standby with enough diesel to run critical operations for 48 hours. There is food as well as enough space to lodge co-workers and families for up to two weeks.

The company has stored tap water on the roof and subjected it to a filter and water treatment so it can be self-sufficient in water for awhile.

"Co-workers are told to prioritise homes, safety and families over work. Time off for flood-related issues has no impact on salary. We also have a flooding policy in place.

"We decided to change the message in the opening campaign and to tone it down a notch and to cancel or defer media where possible.

"Usually our openings are grand and noisy. The opening is no longer a grand opening but a low-key soft opening," he said.

The company has only one local supplier that has been directly affected by the flood and it has solved that problem by seeking replacement products elsewhere.

Ikea is fully committed to continuing its investment plan in Thailand with at least two more stores expected to be built in Greater Bangkok within 10 years.

"We have faith in Thailand and that there is a solid market also for us. We believe that Thailand and the Thais have a solid reputation with foreign investors. The resilience of the Thai people and the strength of its industries are a great foundation for foreign investors.

It will take more than a natural disaster to shake that perception," Svensson said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-02

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Co-workers are told to prioritise homes, safety and families over work. Time off for flood-related issues has no impact on salary. We also have a flooding policy in place.

Compare that to a Thai-Chinese controlled company where a few of my family members work. If they not show up for 1 day, they get fired. Even after working there for +15 years.

Even the few 'public' holidays to help people with the flood was denied.

Good on you Ikea, you will have my support and will visit you frequently.

Of course they want to open on time. There is going to be a lot of people looking to buy new furniture in a couple of weeks.

Then, Ikea is not the place to shop. Ikea furniture is predominately wood chip and veneer type. This type of wood furniture does not respond well to high humidity environments.As well, when it comes in contact with moisture it tends to breakdown. Ikea is the destination of choice for cost conscious younger demographics who aren't buying forthe long term. Perfect for the Bangkok urbanites in their highrise condos, high above the flood zones. Searching for the missing screw or trying to figure out the convoluted instructions will give these people hours of fun that will distract from the flood worries.

On a completely different aspect, Ikea has set a good example with its treatment of its employees if what is reported is true. Perhaps, it will inspire some local retailers, both Thai and foreign owned to treat their workers with more compassion and respect. BTW, Ikea food isn't that good except when they import the specialty grav lax or pickled haring. It's so difficult to find the right haring here. I anticipate that the gingerbread houses will arrive in time for Christmas. ikea, makes a product that is practically indestructible.

Of course they want to open on time. There is going to be a lot of people looking to buy new furniture in a couple of weeks.

Then, Ikea is not the place to shop. Ikea furniture is predominately wood chip and veneer type. This type of wood furniture does not respond well to high humidity environments.As well, when it comes in contact with moisture it tends to breakdown. Ikea is the destination of choice for cost conscious younger demographics who aren't buying forthe long term. Perfect for the Bangkok urbanites in their highrise condos, high above the flood zones. Searching for the missing screw or trying to figure out the convoluted instructions will give these people hours of fun that will distract from the flood worries.

<snip>

There are a lot of moo baans out there that have been flooded - the same sort of people that would live in the condos but prefer the big house in the burbs - and more space for furniture.

Went to their soft opening last Saturday, prices were good and the Thais that were there seemed to like the place. As for the quality of their goods I never had a problem with anything I bought in the UK, but then i am not a snob !!

No fish chips and peas on the menu though :whistling: but plenty of hot looking Hi-so's taking pictures in the mock up rooms they set up.

On a completely different aspect, Ikea has set a good example with its treatment of its employees if what is reported is true. Perhaps, it will inspire some local retailers, both Thai and foreign owned to treat their workers with more compassion and respect. BTW, Ikea food isn't that good except when they import the specialty grav lax or pickled haring. It's so difficult to find the right haring here. I anticipate that the gingerbread houses will arrive in time for Christmas. ikea, makes a product that is practically indestructible.

Guess you haven't done much shopping at IKEA, IKEA have different lines of quality ranging from cheep with questionable life span to no so cheep with fairly good quality. As an example look at the kitchen stuff you get a 25 years warranty, at least in Singapore and Sweden haven't looked at IKEA Thailand yet but I would expect them to do the same. As for particle boards and veneer, so how does that differ from SB Furniture and INDEX, last time I checked that was their material of choice as well.

Well I'm heading there for some Lingonberry jam, crisp bread, herring and candy for the kids :) And a new kitchen as the crap kitchen we got with our house is staring to show its age after 6 years....

Co-workers are told to prioritise homes, safety and families over work. Time off for flood-related issues has no impact on salary. We also have a flooding policy in place.

Compare that to a Thai-Chinese controlled company where a few of my family members work. If they not show up for 1 day, they get fired. Even after working there for +15 years.

Even the few 'public' holidays to help people with the flood was denied.

Good on you Ikea, you will have my support and will visit you frequently.

Impossible.

You might not know that there is no unemployment in Thailand, so any company having these rules wouldn't find and be able to keep staff !

I got the catalog 2012 from IKEA already 2 weeks ago by mail(with very competitive prices).

IKEA has also donated 10 million Baht for the flood victims with many useful donations of blankets and other stuff to follow. Wisely they donate all to Mae Fah Luang Foundation and the Red Cross I think.

It might be a good idea to check your facts before you post. When I moved to Thailand five years ago, I brought a lot of IKEA furniture such as bookcases, cupboards, a sofa, a dining table and chairs etc. None of this is showing the slightest sign of having been impacted by humidity.

If you don't know what you're talking about, it is a better idea to be quiet and let people think that you are an idiot than to open your mouth and prove the point.

/ Priceless

Dear Poster,

there are foreign companies here, I believe from Luxembourg, who will not pay unless you are doing what you are employed to do.

They tell everyone this when they start employment, and quote it in situations like this.

I have not been at work since 18th October, thankfully our pay has been estimated for the 18 days, they tried to offer substitute work

but this is of no use when, like many people, I have moved my family out of harms way and stayed with them.

Impossible.

You might not know that there is no unemployment in Thailand, so any company having these rules wouldn't find and be able to keep staff !

Now I know where to go in March for my holiday... IKEA... I hope that I will have time to visit them before as I love IKEA... Good, cheap, reliable furniture... Also they have everything you need in a house so that will fill up the car when I go back... Come to think of it, I have a trip to Bangkok soon... IKEA HERE I COME!!!!

I got the catalog 2012 from IKEA already 2 weeks ago by mail(with very competitive prices).

IKEA has also donated 10 million Baht for the flood victims with many useful donations of blankets and other stuff to follow. Wisely they donate all to Mae Fah Luang Foundation and the Red Cross I think.

Heja Sverige! Of course they would they are wise and knows what could happen with donation given if it wasn't given by a reliable foundation:)

Does anyone out there know how to go to IKEA by using the Sky Train from Asok?

The closest station would be Bang-na going in the direction of On-nut. Then you would have to get a bus or taxi about 7/8 Km's down the Bang-Na Trad highway, the store will be on your right and there is a U-turn with a turn off giving access to the store.

Actually probably better getting off Skytrain at Udom Suk , to avoid the Bang-na / Sukhumvit junction.

They will do well in Thailand I think as their stuff suits small rooms and they have great selection. As said before they have different quality items from cheap & nasty to pretty good. I have bought quite a bit of things over the years from IKEA in the middle east and I have never found any screws to be missing and they have first rate instructions on assembly that is mostly in pictures without words.

I be been waiting for Ikea ti open since we moved here in march and finally the day has come!! Gonna stock up on Swedush meatballs, lingon sylt, herring, sweets bilar, and buy stuff for home so I get more home feeling here:) I grew up with ikea living in Sweden so everytime I'm gonna get home sick or just fancy Swedish home cooking I know where to go!! Oh I hope they sell the cider I love that!!

And they are great with solutions for storage!!!and all the little things you can find there usefull for your home:) can you tell im a huge fan?:)

whats not to like, good prices for good enough quality furniture for the home. The only problem I saw last Saturday was the queuing at the tills, still the same as back in the UK :whistling:

but overall the shopping experience was good , no assisstant's following you around and help given when asked.

Did not know about the free bus from Udom-Suk.

Then, Ikea is not the place to shop. <SNIP>

It might be a good idea to check your facts before you post. When I moved to Thailand five years ago, I brought a lot of IKEA furniture such as bookcases, cupboards, a sofa, a dining table and chairs etc. None of this is showing the slightest sign of having been impacted by humidity.

If you don't know what you're talking about, it is a better idea to be quiet and let people think that you are an idiot than to open your mouth and prove the point.

/ Priceless

Whoa whoa there!!

Check your facts?!

Don't you know who you're talking to?

GK don't need no stinkin' facts!

;)

I be been waiting for Ikea ti open since we moved here in march and finally the day has come!! Gonna stock up on Swedush meatballs, lingon sylt, herring, sweets bilar, and buy stuff for home so I get more home feeling here:) I grew up with ikea living in Sweden so everytime I'm gonna get home sick or just fancy Swedish home cooking I know where to go!! Oh I hope they sell the cider I love that!!

The only good thing from your country is steel. Or a Volvo, but IKEA? ..........jap.gif

Went to their soft opening last Saturday, prices were good and the Thais that were there seemed to like the place. As for the quality of their goods I never had a problem with anything I bought in the UK, but then i am not a snob !!

No fish chips and peas on the menu though :whistling: but plenty of hot looking Hi-so's taking pictures in the mock up rooms they set up.

No fish chips. That seems to be a big problem, can't eat Somtham Laos with the good smell?...jap.gif