Second Road - Far Right Lane

doggie888888

It is as MJCM said, it is for the baht buses to use going the opposite way to the traffic flow, so you are not supposed to use it and definitely do not park there!

Oh dear. What prompted my query was precisely that the car that was ahead of me decided to stop and park. I have also noticed recently (pre BKK refugee influx) that cars are starting to use it as a normal lane but make the odd diversion to avoid parked cars, tourists walking as if the lane was a sidewalk and the occassional car/baht bus/motorcycle coming the wrong way! In other words, there is nothing special about it like the baht-bus lane that it was intended.

Thanks for helping clarify the matter guys!

Edited by doggie888888

Actually it was only used as a baht bus lane a few years ago when 2nd road first became one-way. There used to be a route from Pattaya City Hall, down 2nd Road then turning right at Pattaya Klang into Beach Road. This was discontinued after a few months as the drivers using that lane weren't making enough money, but the authorities haven't removed the road markings. It's probably illegal for any vehicle to travel south in that lane. But the police aren't enforcing anything...

Every year City Hall try an experiment with making that end of Second Road a 2-way street like it originally used to be.

Until then you can use it normally.

Last time I was down that way there was a barrier at the roundabout to stop traffic accessing it.

Ah, but you can access it if you are coming from Dr Bellen's or Jamiesons Pub or Big C North Pattaya and turning left into Second Road (instead of right) and going right down to Pattaya Klang! You seem to be saying I can use it for north bound journey, until it's officially a 2-way street again. In which case if I were to drive up that lane from Pattaya Klang to Dolphin Round, the police can't extort me for thb200? :whistling:

Actually it was only used as a baht bus lane a few years ago when 2nd road first became one-way. There used to be a route from Pattaya City Hall, down 2nd Road then turning right at Pattaya Klang into Beach Road. This was discontinued after a few months as the drivers using that lane weren't making enough money, but the authorities haven't removed the road markings. It's probably illegal for any vehicle to travel south in that lane. But the police aren't enforcing anything...

What you say is what I have been told too. I am used to police not enforcing anything but I hope they do not decide that it's still a south bound baht bus lane whilst I am driving on it!

Also what if I were northbound and collided head on with a southbound baht bus in that ambiguous lane? Who is in the wrong?

OK I'll show my age.........

The original reason for this lane was for the buses (not baht buses) that were introduced.

2nd road from Central to North was two way, then the powers that be decided, for whatever reason, that it would be one way, sometime after this, they then decided to introduce a bus service, of course that did not go down well with the baht bus monopoly, so after several scuffles, probably even a few deaths, it became a baht bus lane.

To be honest, I do not think city hall remember, nor care why this lane is there.

Guessing on timing, but one way, maybe 15 years ago, bus lane, possibly as early as 10 years ago, that is just going by the fact I could park right outside an English food establishment and then couldn't, so never been since, shame really, I quite liked the food!

Also what if I were northbound and collided head on with a southbound baht bus in that ambiguous lane? Who is in the wrong?

It has been a long time ago since I seen a Baht Bus traveling in that direction, but wonders (read: Baht Bus) never cease to exist :whistling:

Edited by MJCM

OK I'll show my age.........

The original reason for this lane was for the buses (not baht buses) that were introduced.

2nd road from Central to North was two way, then the powers that be decided, for whatever reason, that it would be one way, sometime after this, they then decided to introduce a bus service, of course that did not go down well with the baht bus monopoly, so after several scuffles, probably even a few deaths, it became a baht bus lane.

To be honest, I do not think city hall remember, nor care why this lane is there.

Guessing on timing, but one way, maybe 15 years ago, bus lane, possibly as early as 10 years ago, that is just going by the fact I could park right outside an English food establishment and then couldn't, so never been since, shame really, I quite liked the food!

They tried to intoduce proper public transport buse in Joburg before the last world cup as the roads are often gridlocked by their versions of baht buses.

The public loved the idea but the minibus drivers didn't and started shotting the buses & their drivers. System failed.

Murphy's law: When you're on a baht bus coming down North Pattaya road and hoping to continue onto Beach Road, the odds are that the driver will decide to take that mystery lane, forcing you to exit, cross Second Road, and hop on another baht bus.

Personally I love the confusion caused by the lack of clarity as to its purpose as it means there is usually plenty of room for me, on my bike, to pass the queues of traffic in the other lanes.