One Year Visa With Child

I have another question on this. If I am not legally recognised as the father of my son, why would the Thai Consulate in Melbourne, Australia grant me a 1 yr multiple entry visa on family grounds. To prove I was the father of a child in Thailand all I had to do was show a copy of the Thai birth certificate as evidence. These were Thai people and not aussies working there. They recognised me as the legal father.

In Australia, Australian law rules, you are the father

In Thailand, Thai law rules, you aren't the father

Edited by ludditeman

That has nothing to do with visa or extension of stay issues. He could get the same visa in another country rather than Oz. Criteria for visa and extension of stay are different. A visa is to visit and is almost always easier (in any country) to obtain than semi-permanent stay that an extension allows.

• 2 months later...

I never registered as the father to my daughter. When she was 7 and her mother refused to sign as me the legal father, I had the birth certificate taken to the court by the court lawyer. The judge"s descion was that because my daughter had my surname it was impossible for him not to reconize me as being the father. Not the same as having her mother"s surname. This was in Phuket.

You get with a TM.7 filed at the immigration office serving the location you live just as any other extension of stay.

Many Thanks Lopburi.

Do you have a link from Thai immigration outlining the rules (Would like to print and show my partner and immigration). The immigration in Hua Hin I've heard do not like to do this as they have to prepare the documents and send them to Bangkok I have been told, same as Marriage 400K extension and want you to go the retirement route.

Edited by jflundy

Police order 777/2551

2.18 In the case of a family

member of a Thai(applicable

only to parents, spouse,

child, adopted child or child

of his/her spouse):

Permission will be

granted for a period of

not more than 1 year at a

time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of family relationship

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto;

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her

spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with

the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average

annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a

money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within

a year.

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration

Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may

approve on case to case basis.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an

alien must have an average annual income of not less than

40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank

of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses

within a year.

305/2551 http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thailand.no%2FImmigration%2520New%2520Policy%2520305-2551%2520English%2520translation.pdf&ei=kWEWT531IYizrAfvvIhc&usg=AFQjCNE4-G7ZcAcIKK_PE8SpW1qSsiq1Lw

2.18 In the case of being a family

member of a Thai national

(applicable only to parents, spouse,

children, adopted children, or

spouse’s children):

Each permission shall be granted

for no more than one year.

1. Application form

2. Copy of applicant’s passport

3. Copy of documents proving relationship, such as a marriage certificate, a birth certificate,

registration of child legitimization, household registration certificate, child adoption registration

certificate, or other evidence from the government or relevant agency

4. Copy of evidence proving the Thai nationality of the spouse, parents, children, or adopted

children, such as a national ID card, copy of household registration certificate, or other evidence

issued by the government or relevant agency

5. Only for Criteria (5) and (6), the applicant must attach a funds deposit certificate issued by a

bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook, or attach documents proving that the parents or alien

husband earns an average monthly income of no less than Baht 40,000 throughout the year, such as

any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving

retirement pension, evidence of receiving interest from funds deposit, or evidence of having other

funds issued by the relevant agency. An affidavit must also be submitted confirming the alien’s

marital or parental status with a Thai national.

If you do not qualify financially for retirement not much they can say however.

The police order is 777/2551 and Google will easily find.

Thanks, found the police order.

Not sure what you mean about 'not qualify financially'

Hua HIn immigration want you to go the retirement route 800K and persist in pushing you this way, I could do this at a push but don't want to. I would like to pursue the 400K route which I have in my account for over 3 months now.

777 is the police order defining what is allowed and general requirements.

305 is the order giving specific guidance on documentation used to satisfy 777 requirements.

The link works fine - it is a download PDF document. Scroll down in the document to para 2.18

• 1 month later...

That makes sense now. Many Thanks.

Will report how Hua Hin Immigration deals with my application.

Ok application failed, as with the proof of custody of child to get O visa in many consulates. This rule seems to have been taken up by immigration to obtain extension of stay to support your son/daughter they are asking for a legal custody document after phoning Bangkok.

I have another question on this. If I am not legally recognised as the father of my son, why would the Thai Consulate in Melbourne, Australia grant me a 1 yr multiple entry visa on family grounds. To prove I was the father of a child in Thailand all I had to do was show a copy of the Thai birth certificate as evidence. These were Thai people and not aussies working there. They recognised me as the legal father.

Well back in November was not a problem but since February this year the rules have changed and you now need to show the custody document what ever it's called. Anyone know the name of the document?