Offshore Rov'S

yes, but there are a couple of types of "chancers" though,,, the ones with some tickets and background experience usually get on ok,, whereas the chancers with the gift of the gab and a few shiny new courses under their belts but no background experience that climb too fast usually fall the furthest

The shame is there is this "myth" about offshore which says....go and do a few tickets, ie BOSIET etc etc and you will get job easy, even if you have no experience or skills which are in demand ...not the case.....this may have been the case 30 years ago , I have been in the offshore game over 20 years and even 20 years ago..not that easy, easier than today, but still not easy.

I only had a few tickets and managed to get into the oil game very easily with no contacts, being a bit of a chancer with an aim was enough for me.

yeap run off a few of these types over the years....the smart <deleted> generally dont last too long...

Surely if you are saying a route into the oil game is by knowing someone as opposed to knowing something, by the very nature of this comment you are confirming a significant proportion of people arent in need of outstanding very difficult to obtain skills to get by, thus it isnt that difficult to get offshore.

To say that you run smart asses off seems to me that you run off people you have a personality conflict with as opposed to an ability to do the job, as smart asses surely have similar ability to non smart asses.

Having done both refinery and pipelines onshore...what you say is not strictly true...;)

And seeing as the OP is talking about getting in ROV's....going to be difficult to put a 150hp workclass ROV down a pipeline on a refinery is it ?....:D

Depends where the pipelines/refineries are, the job offer i have in OZ on a pipeline is far more then id earn offshore in the UK offshore, all i need is a tip to avoid tax to make it worthwhile. But comparing onshore and offshore in the UK the difference isnt that much 10% approx in my book.

And your point about not being able to drive an ROV down a pipeline emphasises my point about not putting all ones eggs in one basket, just in case they dont like it offshore which many dont.