Dog Tick Problem

RioMist

Thanks for the heads up on the pills. I have found a product that is manufactured by Sabu-Sabu and it has cut down the problem greatly--one is a shampoo, the other is a daily spray, and the other is to add to water when washing the floors. The owner of Sabu-Sabu (Virginia) told me that these critters can last up to three years in the house if not eliminated entirely by a thorough cleaning.

Thanks for the heads up on the pills. I have found a product that is manufactured by Sabu-Sabu and it has cut down the problem greatly--one is a shampoo, the other is a daily spray, and the other is to add to water when washing the floors. The owner of Sabu-Sabu (Virginia) told me that these critters can last up to three years in the house if not eliminated entirely by a thorough cleaning.

I have not seen a tick in my house for over 6 months... but you might be correct that the little sods might be hiding. I will keep giving my dog the pills so I don't expect to see any more ticks in the future.

Frontline has been around for ages, and ticks are getting immune to the chemical 'fipronil' that is used here.

En-Dex 4000 contains the chemical 'ivermectin' and that's what kills parasites on animals and humans too. You can find a dog shampoo with this chemical and it works just as well too. This works if Frontline does not work.

I have tried giving crushed garlic in the dogs food and found this effectively prevents parasites too. No chemicals needed. Feed 1/2 teaspoon of crushed garlic twice a week for 4 weeks, and then a weekly 'maintenance' does of 1/2 teaspoon.

Alternatively you can feed garlic powder that can be found in most supermarkets. Give same dosage.

And NO, your dog does not smell of garlic. 5555

• Like 1

Frontline has been around for ages, and ticks are getting immune to the chemical 'fipronil' that is used here.

En-Dex 4000 contains the chemical 'ivermectin' and that's what kills parasites on animals and humans too. You can find a dog shampoo with this chemical and it works just as well too. This works if Frontline does not work.

I have tried giving crushed garlic in the dogs food and found this effectively prevents parasites too. No chemicals needed. Feed 1/2 teaspoon of crushed garlic twice a week for 4 weeks, and then a weekly 'maintenance' does of 1/2 teaspoon.

Alternatively you can feed garlic powder that can be found in most supermarkets. Give same dosage.

Tryed garlic in much higher dosage for 55 Kg rottweiler for 2 months, and it had no effect

Oh! Forgot to add that ivermectin is fatal to sheep herding dogs, like the collie and sheepdog breeds. Also do not administer to kittens.

Oh! Forgot to add that ivermectin is fatal to sheep herding dogs, like the collie and sheepdog breeds. Also do not administer to kittens.

What about smaller breeds of dogs like Jack Russell etc?

I cant get rid of the mange on my dog...any ideas on that?

Vet injections seem to be useless.

The dog will need a trip to the vet's office to confirm the diagnosis and to be treated. Ivermectin is the treatment of choice for sarcoptic mange. It is usually administered in two doses, two weeks apart. The dog may also require antibiotics and medicated baths for skin infections and itch relief. The family should be cautious about handling the dog, since sarcoptic mange is contagious.

This has been a great thread so far. Very informative. I check my dog daily for ticks and she has one or two lately. When she was younger and running around with the neighborhood pack, she had a lot. I took her to the vet's for injections for ticks, but it didn't really seem to help. Giving her a bath every few days did. I never liked the idea behind Advantage/Frontline insecticides either. So I'll stay with the showers for now as the problem isn't very bad. I did forward the url to this thread to a friend who is a vet in the US. I'll be interested what she says about this Ivermectin as she was always big on Advantage...

• Like 1

This has been a great thread so far. Very informative. I check my dog daily for ticks and she has one or two lately. When she was younger and running around with the neighborhood pack, she had a lot. I took her to the vet's for injections for ticks, but it didn't really seem to help. Giving her a bath every few days did. I never liked the idea behind Advantage/Frontline insecticides either. So I'll stay with the showers for now as the problem isn't very bad. I did forward the url to this thread to a friend who is a vet in the US. I'll be interested what she says about this Ivermectin as she was always big on Advantage...

Different brands of flea and tick treatment contains different active ingredients. These active ingredient perform the same function .... i.e. to paralyse the parasites, and is toxic to animals if injested in larger doses. Most of these medication is applied as a 'drop on' along the spine of the animal. Do not bath the dog for at least 24 hours after application, and the effect usually lasts one month.

Do not apply to nursing bitches and puppies. It can be fatal to the puppies.

What about smaller breeds of dogs like Jack Russell etc?

Used properly according to vet instructions, ivermectin is safe for all breeds, EXCEPT for the various breeds of sheepdogs. Ivermectin is used to treat heartworm, flea, tick, mange and mites,

Ivermectin is the name of the active chemical and is available in different brand names such as Heartgard, Ivomec, etc. Check the label for the active ingredient.

There are two types of mange in dogs ... sarcoptic mange (commonly known as scabies) and demodectic mange. The sure way to tell which is which is a skin scraping at the vets and viewed under a high power microscope. The mites are of different shapes. Sarcoptic mange mites looked like roundish louse (lice) whereas the demodectic mange mites looked like a miniature squid without tentacles or like a stake. You can google the images.

Sarcoptic mange is highly CONTAGIOUS and the infected dog must be isolated. If an infected dog scratches like crazy, chances are it's got sarcoptic mange. The mites CAN jump and infect humans too and I know of friends who are victims. This can be greated with ivermectin (brand name: IVOMEC), selamectin (REVOLUTION), Moxidectin (ADVANTAGE), Milbemycin Oxime (INTERCEPTOR) & others, usually applied on the skin, orally or thru injection. I achieved good results by using a douse with diluted amitraz (MITABAN) applied weekly for several weeks.

The demodectic mange is non contagious. It is not so itchy to the animal than sarcoptic mange, and is usually heredictary. Most dogs are born with this mange, but it controlled by the animals immune system until the animal is stressed, then it breaks out. Treatment is same as for sarcoptic mange.

All of these treatment medication are toxic is used incorrectly, and MUST not be used on pregnant and nursing bitches and puppies. Hope this info helps.

There are two types of mange in dogs ... sarcoptic mange (commonly known as scabies) and demodectic mange. The sure way to tell which is which is a skin scraping at the vets and viewed under a high power microscope. The mites are of different shapes. Sarcoptic mange mites looked like roundish louse (lice) whereas the demodectic mange mites looked like a miniature squid without tentacles or like a stake. You can google the images.

Sarcoptic mange is highly CONTAGIOUS and the infected dog must be isolated. If an infected dog scratches like crazy, chances are it's got sarcoptic mange. The mites CAN jump and infect humans too and I know of friends who are victims. This can be greated with ivermectin (brand name: IVOMEC), selamectin (REVOLUTION), Moxidectin (ADVANTAGE), Milbemycin Oxime (INTERCEPTOR) & others, usually applied on the skin, orally or thru injection. I achieved good results by using a douse with diluted amitraz (MITABAN) applied weekly for several weeks.

The demodectic mange is non contagious. It is not so itchy to the animal than sarcoptic mange, and is usually heredictary. Most dogs are born with this mange, but it controlled by the animals immune system until the animal is stressed, then it breaks out. Treatment is same as for sarcoptic mange.

All of these treatment medication are toxic is used incorrectly, and MUST not be used on pregnant and nursing bitches and puppies. Hope this info helps.

Well the dog is scratching a lot. I have been to the vets twice for injections but they haven't done anything.

I think we will isolate him if its so contagious and find a new vet. Thanks for the help, much appreciated

I must have a tough Border Collie, I have been injecting her with 1cc Ivermectin every 3 months for the last 4 years with no ill effects.

I have been unsuccessful at finding ENDEX 4000 at several pharmacies in Chiang Mai. Can anyone tell me which Pharmacy chain sells it? Thanks.

There is an on-line vet supply in Chiang Rai that supplies it (at 420 baht x 10 tabs).Google Endex 4000 and you will find their site.

Can anyone tell me which Pharmacy chain sells it? Thanks.

I would also like to find out where to buy as we do not have a Supercheap in Pattaya .

You can buy on line... just do a 'Google' on En-Dex 4000 and there are a number of Thai web sites that sell this product.

Edited by RioMist

The OP states a dosage of En-dex 4000 of 1 tablet per week, however the dosage indicated on the packet is 1 tablet per month, with the OP,s post in mind I asked our vet to translate and clarify, he says it is definately 1 per month, however he doubts a higher dose orally would cause ill effects .

An alternative is V-Max P 6000 which is a chewable ,liver flavoured tab containing Invermectin /Praziquantel . Dogs 5-15 kg =1/2 tablet ........15-25 kg =1 tab monthly.

I mentioned to the vet that the Invermectin I inject my dogs with seems to be less effective now ,the reason he gives is that Invermectin sold in Thailand is sourced in China so say no more.

The OP states a dosage of En-dex 4000 of 1 tablet per week, however the dosage indicated on the packet is 1 tablet per month, with the OP,s post in mind I asked our vet to translate and clarify, he says it is definately 1 per month, however he doubts a higher dose orally would cause ill effects .

An alternative is V-Max P 6000 which is a chewable ,liver flavoured tab containing Invermectin /Praziquantel . Dogs 5-15 kg =1/2 tablet ........15-25 kg =1 tab monthly.

I mentioned to the vet that the Invermectin I inject my dogs with seems to be less effective now ,the reason he gives is that Invermectin sold in Thailand is sourced in China so say no more.

Thanks for the info re the dosage. All the instructions in the pack are in Thai and I was going by what my friend told me. He said 1 a week. Well as I said I have been giving my dog 1 a week for 6 months with no sign of any side affects. In light of what you said I will now lower the dosage. The thing is though these tablets work so well..... I cant believe how well they worked. After all the heartaches for months. What I can't understand is why my vet did not recommend these tablets.

I've had really good luck using a product called Bayticol from my local vet. This is a "pour-on" product containing flumethrin.

The last time I travelled to the States, I brought over a few boxes of Frontline (expensive!) - and not impressed with the efficacy here in Thailand as compared to the US. But this stuff was really cheap in comparison, and is very effective for my dogs. It comes in little bottles, rather than pre-measured doses. The instructions I found are rather vague as to the proper dosage and application for canines - they seem to indicate a rather large dose poured along the spine, but I decided to initially try a small dose, applied to the base of the neck, in the same fashion as Frontline - which worked just fine, so I've never tried any other method.

The only downside is that there is a distinct, strong smell to this stuff that lasts a couple of days. My dogs are "outside dogs" anyway, so a non-issue to me. So far, it has kept my "outside dogs" pretty well tick-free, and actually worked wonders on a seriously infested soi-dog.

Anybody else used this product? Any other success or issues?

I dont know where I got the info that Ivermectin is for tick treatment, but on reflection I have done a lot of Googling on the subject.

It turns out that all the vets entries and the manufacturers state that Ivermectin is not effective in the control of ticks.

The only reference to its suitability for tick control is by the people who manufacture the tablets,ie. V-Max,,,En-Dex etc and of course they have a vested interest.

As well as the Ivermectin injections (and now tablets ), our four dogs are shampooed at least every 2 days with an assorted range of tick and flea shampoos,yet they still get infected, its now got me wondering what if anything is actually helping.

I dont know where I got the info that Ivermectin is for tick treatment, but on reflection I have done a lot of Googling on the subject.

It turns out that all the vets entries and the manufacturers state that Ivermectin is not effective in the control of ticks.

The only reference to its suitability for tick control is by the people who manufacture the tablets,ie. V-Max,,,En-Dex etc and of course they have a vested interest.

As well as the Ivermectin injections (and now tablets ), our four dogs are shampooed at least every 2 days with an assorted range of tick and flea shampoos,yet they still get infected, its now got me wondering what if anything is actually helping.

Well for me the proof of the pudding is in the eating!! I know this product works. My dog was infested with these pests for months maybe years and they were driving me mad. Since I started using this product 6 months ago I honestly can say I have not seen one tick on my dog and I check regularly.

My dog used to have hundreds of these horrible ticks on him laying eggs and breeding. They suck blood too. My wife used to be bitten by them but since we started using En-Dex 4000 my wife has never been bitten. Nor have we seen a tick in our house. So I really don't know where your Vets get their info.. but I KNOW THIS PRODUCT WORKS.

Well for me the proof of the pudding is in the eating!! I know this product works. My dog was infested with these pests for months maybe years and they were driving me mad. Since I started using this product 6 months ago I honestly can say I have not seen one tick on my dog and I check regularly.

My dog used to have hundreds of these horrible ticks on him laying eggs and breeding. They suck blood too. My wife used to be bitten by them but since we started using En-Dex 4000 my wife has never been bitten. Nor have we seen a tick in our house. So I really don't know where your Vets get their info.. but I KNOW THIS PRODUCT WORKS.

I did not state "my vets".

I said that articles I Googled state that Ivermectin has little effect on lice,these include articles by the manufacturer Merck Sharp as well as the FDA of America .

I will be extremely happy if I get the same results as you have observed.