Dog Tick Problem

RioMist

I cant get rid of the mange on my dog...any ideas on that?

Vet injections seem to be useless.

We've had success applying unsweetened and unflavoured yoghurt topically.

Smearing yoghurt on the dog?

lol...does it really work...I'm just trying to picture it? He already stinks....

Every now abd then I am now finding ticks on my body and in some rather wierd places as well! LOL!l My dog gets the shots and is doing very well. I can't find a single tick or flea on him and he is a white poodle with short hair and that should say it all! So, yesterday, I actually found one between the kuckles of my fingers hanging on. Yes, he was a "new" one in the neighborhood. Well, I have found only 5 in the past 2 months. I know that he is getting them from the garden, whcih is huge. I guess I should spray the garden with flea and tick spray. Once, I had a pump bottle and actually put a blend of 25% bleach and 75% water and it worked wonderfully. Thank you for the information as I am very happy with the shots, which are quarterly and work amazingly well on my 7.5 lb. miniature poodle. He has a "girlfriend" at Baantommy (a cageless kennel in Rawai) named Tina and she is a Shi Tzu (sic?). He is very happy here! Because he is so happy, I am happy as well!

Thank you all.

Frontline has been around for ages, and ticks are getting immune to the chemical 'fipronil' that is used here.

En-Dex 4000 contains the chemical 'ivermectin' and that's what kills parasites on animals and humans too. You can find a dog shampoo with this chemical and it works just as well too. This works if Frontline does not work.

I have tried giving crushed garlic in the dogs food and found this effectively prevents parasites too. No chemicals needed. Feed 1/2 teaspoon of crushed garlic twice a week for 4 weeks, and then a weekly 'maintenance' does of 1/2 teaspoon.

Alternatively you can feed garlic powder that can be found in most supermarkets. Give same dosage.

And NO, your dog does not smell of garlic. 5555

Oh! Forgot to add that ivermectin is fatal to sheep herding dogs, like the collie and sheepdog breeds. Also do not administer to kittens.

What about smaller breeds of dogs like Jack Russell etc?

Our Jack takes half a tablet a month as indicated in the directions (5Kg half tablet) Go You Jacks!!

I was thinking about posting almost the same thing, as I've recently started using ivermectin with our two poodles (about 10kg each), and it's been working wonders.

Mine is also a pack of 10 pills and is sold as "Maximec 4000". Comes in a light green box with a picture of a dog on front. And it was 150 baht at our local pet supply shop here in Lopburi. Supposed to help with fleas, ticks, heartworm, and mange. The insert in the box (in Thai) seems pretty much the same as what the OP mentioned, so it sounds like maybe a different company making the same medication. There are four warnings listed on the insert, and #2 on the list is not to use it with any collies, shetlands, sheep dogs or mixes of any of those breeds, and also not to use it on puppies or kittens less than 6 weeks old. #1 is to keep it out of reach of children, #3 is to take your pet to the vet immediately if you notice any adverse reactions to the medicine like seeming to be dazed or stumbling around, and #4 is to keep the meds in a cool, dry place. Anyway, recommended dosage is one tablet/10kg/month. But, it does say that you can give it every week or every two weeks if you are trying to clear up an infestation of fleas/ticks or severe mange. Once things clear up, you can go back to once/month.

For us, I had tried *everything* (that was less than 100 baht/month/dog) and nothing worked. I started applying Detick (a topical, once a month between the shoulder blades) and it worked surprisingly well. But it worked really well for 3 weeks, and then the last week I would see the occasional tick. But this was exponentially better than before, so I was happy.

Then I asked about something for heartworm, and the lady at the local pet supply shop showed me the Maximec 4000. She said it was fine to use in conjunction with the Detick, and that if I saw any increase in ticks/fleas/mange, that I could increase the dosage to every other week or every week until things cleared up.

So I've been giving the Detick at the first week of the month and a Maximec 4000 in the middle of the month and haven't seen a tick on our dogs in three months now. I do find an occasional tick in the house, but I'm pretty sure it has been hanging out from the previous infestations.

For the shampoos, I never did find anything that worked well for tick/flea treatment. I had used the shampoos and powders and sprays in conjunction with monthly injections at the vet, and they didn't do much of anything. A neighbor recommended a newer brand of shampoo, Neo, which we can only find at Lotus here. And it did smell great for a few days and killed any ticks the first day. But wasn't much use after that. I also tried a Neo ear cleaning solution which has worked really well. So I do like the Neo products because the shampoo smells good for a bit longer than other brands and their ear solution works well and it a bit more natural that what the vet had been giving us, it didn't do much for long term tick prevention.

Anyway, glad to hear others have enjoyed similar results.

• 1 month later...

- Don't buy vet products they are expensive and ineffective.

- Do regular check on your dogs and just take the bloody things out yourself ie; Pinch the tick's belly between 2 fingers until it explodes, it will come out.

- Use aromatherapy to repel them as much as poss, it is cheap, natural, and parasites don't get used to it. Spray them regularly with lavender + geranium diluted in water or cider vinegar.

Works marvel on soi dogs :)

• Like 2

I had the most horrendous tick problem a couple of years ago, despite putting Frontline on their necks every month. In the end I had to use the 'all-over body spray Frontline' every week and check all my dogs 4-5 times a day before the problem eventually disappeared.

Then for a couple of years I never saw a tick - until about a month ago. They were back :realangry:.

Only a few, and the Frontline kills them, but they have to bite the dog to get the 'medication' and die. That is too late as the dog can get the tick-borne blood parasites as soon as they bite the dog.....

Edit - my experience is that 'ticks' are seasonal and we think we have solved the problem when actually, we have not. The ticks are just dying out on their own - albeit we hasten the end with our 'medications'.

Edited by F1fanatic

• 1 year later...

- Do regular check on your dogs and just take the bloody things out yourself ie; Pinch the tick's belly between 2 fingers until it explodes, it will come out.

- Use aromatherapy to repel them as much as poss, it is cheap, natural, and parasites don't get used to it. Spray them regularly with lavender + geranium diluted in water or cider vinegar.

Works marvel on soi dogs smile.gif

If that works on soi dogs ... should also work on the Farm Dogs?

Thanks for the tip ... thumbsup.gif

• 6 months later...

I dont know where I got the info that Ivermectin is for tick treatment, but on reflection I have done a lot of Googling on the subject.

It turns out that all the vets entries and the manufacturers state that Ivermectin is not effective in the control of ticks.

The only reference to its suitability for tick control is by the people who manufacture the tablets,ie. V-Max,,,En-Dex etc and of course they have a vested interest.

As well as the Ivermectin injections (and now tablets ), our four dogs are shampooed at least every 2 days with an assorted range of tick and flea shampoos,yet they still get infected, its now got me wondering what if anything is actually helping.

Well for me the proof of the pudding is in the eating!! I know this product works. My dog was infested with these pests for months maybe years and they were driving me mad. Since I started using this product 6 months ago I honestly can say I have not seen one tick on my dog and I check regularly.

My dog used to have hundreds of these horrible ticks on him laying eggs and breeding. They suck blood too. My wife used to be bitten by them but since we started using En-Dex 4000 my wife has never been bitten. Nor have we seen a tick in our house. So I really don't know where your Vets get their info.. but I KNOW THIS PRODUCT WORKS.

I have had similar results, nothing comes close, once a month is the usual dosage, maybe once a week for first two weeks then once a month. Very effective.

I agree with this 100%

I often spray my dog with a mixture of lemongrass aromatherapy oil diluted with water, neem oil, or even apple cider vinegar diluted with water and this does the trick for keeping the ticks away. My dog has extremely long shaggy hair, and this makes him smell good, too.

Regarding neem oil, it also helps with mange.

I agree with this 100%

I often spray my dog with a mixture of lemongrass aromatherapy oil diluted with water, neem oil, or even apple cider vinegar diluted with water and this does the trick for keeping the ticks away. My dog has extremely long shaggy hair, and this makes him smell good, too.

Regarding neem oil, it also helps with mange.

Nice to know this works for you.

I miss aneliane ... she was such a wizz with the alternative ideas.

The Forum is a lesser place without her.

Does anyone know where you can buy En Dex 4000 in Phuket

We have tried other things Frontline, injections and collars and nothing gets rid of the ticks

Currently treating her for tick fever

There is a vet on the top of a hill on Nanai Road. They are in a small group of shops just opposite the huge new condo project being built. They sell a pack of Ivermec powder that I use with my dogs. I just mix it in with some wet dog food and they love it.

Not quite about Dog ticks, but i'm sure they will come with the intrusion of the 6 puppies, mother and neighbor hood dogs that love my house, my shoes started to go walkabout, then i realised that the newly born puppies next door had taken a fancy to my drive way, they are getting in the gap where the gate slide, Ha ha ha how i laughed, after the 6th pair of shoes eating, damaged figures, and my door scratched, i'm screaming at them, Now the question, i've approached the Thai owner of the puppies, as usual no real concern, they couldn't give a toss, for me to alter the newly installed gate system although easy is a costly and not very nice look to it, any idea's ??????, i don't want to harm them, but they are damaging my property, i'll try again with the owner of the puppies, but do i call the authorities in the end!!!!!

If you pinch the ticks belly you leave the head embedded in the dog and also release infective fluids from the ticks guts.

Not recommended at all.

• 4 months later...

I'm literally just back to my house from the Vet's, with our 3 dogs just having had their anti tick injections. As soon as we see any ticks on them, they're off to the vets, and it's usually every 6 to 8 weeks. Over the past 6 years, we've tried just about every method for tick control, and the only one that is consistently effective are the injections (they've been getting them for about 3 years now).

The Vet did comment today, that March and April are particularly bad months for ticks and fleas.

• Like 1

I'm literally just back to my house from the Vet's, with our 3 dogs just having had their anti tick injections. As soon as we see any ticks on them, they're off to the vets, and it's usually every 6 to 8 weeks. Over the past 6 years, we've tried just about every method for tick control, and the only one that is consistently effective are the injections (they've been getting them for about 3 years now).

The Vet did comment today, that March and April are particularly bad months for ticks and fleas.

Our dog is not fond of the vets and i do not blame her for feeling that way

Tablets if avaliable are much cheaper and no problem to give to her

I noticed on the weekend that the ticks were back in full force - pulled 17 of them off of my pooch on Saturday afternoon alone. I'm going to agree that the injections are the most effective way of treating the ticks.

I recently tried the Front Line Spray, as my vet suggested it, but it's not doing the trick. My neighbor suggested vinegar water to spray on my dog's coat, and I might give that a try as a back up as well.

If you pinch the ticks belly you leave the head embedded in the dog and also release infective fluids from the ticks guts.

Not recommended at all.

I pull them off with tweezers, my wife uses her fingers. i assure you that the beasts are still very active and busy before I squash them. How else can you remove them? The special tick tweezers don't get in to the nooks and crannies of a dog's ears and paws.

To combat ticks you need to know something about their life cycle. A female can lay 5 000 - 20 000 eggs in one go. These eggs can lay around for years before they hatch and of course they don't all hatch at the same time. If this happens in your house, spraying won't do much good as the eggs are difficult to eradicate with arachnicide. However if you do notice the bloody things going up the wall (very small) then you can spray. As mentioned above, a good cleaning with a vacuum cleaner helps also, you have to pull the furniture away from the walls which is a job in itself. We bought a knapsack sprayer and use Bayticol; if I have left overs then we at least stick the dogs feet into a tub of the stuff (seems to be where most of the attacks take place) then dilute it further and wash them down.

I just sprayed this morning after covering our food and the pets' food, putting clothes back in the wardrobes. Then a 2 hour shopping expedition and come back to open windows and doors, turn on fans and air conditioning. Spraying is a serious business, I use a mask and sweat buckets. I then have to go out and shower with the garden hose and change clothes. From hatching, the beasts go through three metamorphoses so you are winning if you only find the small ones, they can't lay eggs, but you still have thousands of eggs around.

The vet's injection (฿80.-) reduced the infestation on some of our dogs but not all.

So I don't think that there is a simple solution, just keep trying.

post-130198-0-96268400-1396238668_thumb.

• Like 1

I cant get rid of the mange on my dog...any ideas on that?

Vet injections seem to be useless.

When I was living in Bangkok, a couple of soi dogs very badly afflicted by mange were covered by the locals in ... engine oil. It worked! Dogs had wondrous lustrous coats after a couple of weeks smile.png (I'd keep 'em outside your house though ...).

Not recommended at all.

I pull them off with tweezers, my wife uses her fingers. i assure you that the beasts are still very active and busy before I squash them. How else can you remove them? The special tick tweezers don't get in to the nooks and crannies of a dog's ears and paws.

To combat ticks you need to know something about their life cycle. A female can lay 5 000 - 20 000 eggs in one go. These eggs can lay around for years before they hatch and of course they don't all hatch at the same time. If this happens in your house, spraying won't do much good as the eggs are difficult to eradicate with arachnicide. However if you do notice the bloody things going up the wall (very small) then you can spray. As mentioned above, a good cleaning with a vacuum cleaner helps also, you have to pull the furniture away from the walls which is a job in itself. We bought a knapsack sprayer and use Bayticol; if I have left overs then we at least stick the dogs feet into a tub of the stuff (seems to be where most of the attacks take place) then dilute it further and wash them down.

I just sprayed this morning after covering our food and the pets' food, putting clothes back in the wardrobes. Then a 2 hour shopping expedition and come back to open windows and doors, turn on fans and air conditioning. Spraying is a serious business, I use a mask and sweat buckets. I then have to go out and shower with the garden hose and change clothes. From hatching, the beasts go through three metamorphoses so you are winning if you only find the small ones, they can't lay eggs, but you still have thousands of eggs around.

The vet's injection (฿80.-) reduced the infestation on some of our dogs but not all.

So I don't think that there is a simple solution, just keep trying.

One of my dogs contracted tick fever and almost went to the Rainbow Bridge. (No, not the Hendrix one). Since then I've had a local vet come around and inject them with Invectimin on the dot every month. Haven't seen a tick since.

BTW A neighbour's dog pays the occasional visit, tad feral and not easily subdued for injections. I was advised to simply mix it in with some food. It works! (For those tad nervous about injecting them yourself).

At the main supercheap store they have built a temporary shop where the carpark was

In the pet supplies aisle bottom end RHS they have supplies of En-Dex4000, 6000 and 8000

heart worm,mange and tick and fleaa treatment

i bought the premium grade 8000 which cost 110 baht a box of 10 tablets which is 10 months supply

No wonder vets do not sell it, when they charge 180 baht for a injection that lasts 1 month