Reports Of Possible Corruption Upset Volunteers: Thailand Flood

webfact

Reports of possible corruption upset volunteers

Pravit Rojanaphruk,

Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

30169410-01.jpg

The problem in trying to independently verify whether "over-priced" relief bags were ordered by the Flood Relief Operations Centre (Froc) is difficult to assess, as all of the Bt800 bags have supposedly been given away already.

What you have is a picture of goods supposedly about to be put inside a bag. Officials insist there was no corruption and volunteers questioned about the matter were upset at the suggestion of possible graft.

Deputy Prime Minister and Froc director Pracha Promnok said yesterday, however, that the matter would be looked into and a result revealed in three days.

"I know it's an issue that the public is concerned about," said Pracha, who added that anyone found to be involved in graft should be punished.

Chamroen Yutithamsakul, an inspector general at the Prime Minister's Office, criticised people on online social networks who spread information that was misleading. He added that people who posted the supposed contents of relief bags online had mistakenly mixed up the content of cheaper bags with the more expensive version.

"The media should consider the fact before reporting about it,"

Chamroen said. "[Online] social networks tend to lack accountability for what they present."

At National Stadium, where hundreds of volunteers continue to pack the cheaper version of Froc relief bags yesterday that came from donated goods, people did not take kindly to being questioned on whether there was possible corruption.

"They can just say things if they don't come and try to help," said Aekachai Thavornkasaet, a teacher from the submerged Charoen Sanitwong Soi 25 and a volunteer who helped pack donated goods.

"Don't even try to compare the price. All who are here came to do this because of their heart."

Another volunteer, nurse Pusadee Bualert, said she was very angry when told about the allegation. "That's because we're doing our best here, helping. It's disheartening."

Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation official Anchalee Phanpanya was more willing to discuss the details of the allegation, which she insisted was false. Like Chamroen, she said people mixed up the content of different bags. The Bt800 relief bag was for those facing severe flooding and it includes more expensive ready-to-eat supplies such as canned rice and food, while there were other bags priced at Bt500, as well as Bt300 for less-needy people.

"I think it's due to misunderstanding. But it's our job to make sure things are properly understood," she said, handing a list of contents and pictures of the relief bags from the three price range.

Pusadee admitted, however, that public donations had been dropping recently, adding that this may have been caused by political rivalry and "negative publicity" by the media.

Red shirt volunteer leader Sombat Boon-ngam-anong urged the government to prove its innocence. He said the Bt800 bag - now handed out - should be displayed to the public.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-08

At National Stadium, where hundreds of volunteers continue to pack the cheaper version of Froc relief bags yesterday that came from donated goods, people did not take kindly to being questioned on whether there was possible corruption.

No one is accusing the volunteers packing the bags of being corrupt :ermm:

How hard can it be to independently check the price of the content of the bags? Oh right, I forgot, all the bags have been given away! What a joke. Didn't Froc keep records of what they bought for how much? They should or how will they even prove how they spend the money. Well, maybe they "lost" these papers during relocation from DM airport :-)

And why are the volunteers upset by the accusations? Nobody was blaming them! It is the guys buying the good receiving the kickbacks.

OOO

No one is accusing the volunteers packing the bags of being corrupt :ermm:

True, and this point should be made very clear.

Wonder how much clever and deliberate spin has already happened?

I'm confused. Is 800 baht the value of goods inside the bag, or is it the price that needy people have to pay to receive this bag of goodies?

Simon

It is "supposedly" 800B in value, however, many people have complained that when the goods are individually counted at retail price, the "value" is closer to 300B. Where the other 500B that is being charged to the public has gone is anybody's guess.....:whistling:

POSSIBLE corruption?????

It is despicable that any suggestion of corruption is a possibility -- after 31 years here I have never come across this, This rumor could spread and Thailands name may then be tarnished, 55555555555 Ha Ha Ha ..this and the thread on the 5000 bht compensation now have swayed my thinking somewhat.

Strange how a little while back the easing of official matters and business matters by the giving of a contribution under the table as a form of medication to ease the pain of assorted transactions was considered acceptable by the people. Now it seems as if those who are taking the medicine they approved of don't really like the taste of their self approved medicine.

woman-taking-nasty-medicine-thumb7403468.jpg

Edited by siampolee

Me thinks ye do protest to much.

Makes one wonder if the volunteers they interviewed were hand picked and what was the questions they were asked.

Were any of them asked if they thought the value of the items in the bag was being overstated or just told that people thought there was a lot of corruption going on.:(

So what? As we learned recently, Thais like corruption!

Recently???? Since to dawn of time you mean. Corruption is woven into the very fiber of existence in Thailand. It is however, lacking discipline. This is the element that will keep Thailand from reaching a revered global status. Corruption is nothing new, nor will it go away. The difference is, true power house economies that have gained global respect are disciplined and manage their corruption process well. Singapore and Hing Kong come to find as good examples, both being extremely corrupt with well organized processes for this.

I am not sure if it is the krung jai issue in Thailand or simple greed that perpetuates this dynamic.

How hard can it be to independently check the price of the content of the bags? Oh right, I forgot, all the bags have been given away! What a joke. Didn't Froc keep records of what they bought for how much? They should or how will they even prove how they spend the money. Well, maybe they "lost" these papers during relocation from DM airport :-)

And why are the volunteers upset by the accusations? Nobody was blaming them! It is the guys buying the good receiving the kickbacks.

OOO

SPOT ON! If they have nothing to hide they should have papers to show what was contained in the bags and how it adds up. Thats all. Regardless of what was donated or mixed. They shouldn't even have talked about donated items. One can easily say that they didn't even spend the money on relief items. ALL that was passed around was donated.!

It is unlikely that the actual total cost of various items is going to be a round number, so the fact that the declared value is a round number should be evidence that the value has been rounded up. This means someone is definitely pocketing the difference from the actual cost and declared value. The question then is not if, but how much.

It is unlikely that the actual total cost of various items is going to be a round number, so the fact that the declared value is a round number should be evidence that the value has been rounded up. This means someone is definitely pocketing the difference from the actual cost and declared value. The question then is not if, but how much.

Excellent post: clean, simple, decisive...TRUE

There was zero corruption with AV, Dems, PAD, Army SOE rule Thailand.

Now with YS, Thaksin, TRT, PPP, PT back, so is corruption.

actually nobody is saying this but you, so drop the political slant and keep it on topic, thanks.

Again the poor volunteers who donate their time are being blamed for this from what i can see,

it is the clowns at the top who have their hands in the till.

I would like to see anyone actually get charged for this and be made to front a court?

but they would probably just pay their way out of it and never even front a court.

Amazing Thailand

should be ashamed of yourselves stealing form people who desperately need help!!

Again the poor volunteers who donate their time are being blamed for this from what i can see,

I would like to see anyone actually get charged for this and be made to front a court?

but they would probably just pay their way out of it and never even front a court.

Amazing Thailand

should be ashamed of yourselves stealing form people who desperately need help!!

You see wrong.

No one is blaming the volunteers.

Is there a list of what was in these '800' baht relief bags? It should be easy enough to check the value then.

It is a shame that the volunteers are being targeted. Any corruption happening is undertaken by people who can manipulate the situation.

Amazing Thailand

You see wrong.

No one is blaming the volunteers.

The volunteers are not being blamed ..true ..

No one would even suspect even the odd "bad egg" could do much to tarnish the good aid that is being done by volunteers each and every day here.

However that does not mean that "spin" cannot be used to imply people suspect the genuine givers in order to discredit the rumours. Which IS a possibility and one I hope is looked into.

I do hope that records will be audited correctly and quickly so that such damaging stories, be they true or false (hopefully the latter), can be dealt with and allow people to have pride in that thier good natures will not be taken advantage of. I have seen some wonderful parts of human nature in this and hope they can be the things people remember.

Is there a list of what was in these '800' baht relief bags? It should be easy enough to check the value then.

I got this list from the daily live news thread:

1. One 5 kilomgrams bag of rice (100% white rice)

2. Six packs of instant rice

3. Four cans of canned fish

4. Four cans of spicy canned fish

5. Four cans of green curry or chicken curry

6. Four cans of fried fish (original flavor)

7. Four cans of chicken massaman

8. Three cans of spicy fried clams

What was not specified though is the size of the cans (despite the descriptive contents - even the type of curry or whether it's spicy!), which can make a big difference.

Edited by hyperdimension

There was zero corruption with AV, Dems, PAD, Army SOE rule Thailand.

Now with YS, Thaksin, TRT, PPP, PT back, so is corruption.

how was the PAD corrupt?

Corruption is endemic, and it's been part of Thailand for many decades and in every political party.

Nobody would suggest that the dems and their coalition partners were free of corruption and any corruption / collusion they were involved in is also unacceptable, and as already mentioned the PAD have never formed a government / ran a ministry etc., so how are they corrupt?

Regardless of any of the above, if people suspect there is corruption / collusion then they should speak up. It should get broad discussion every time it happens or is suspected.

Edited by scorecard

I'm confused. Is 800 baht the value of goods inside the bag, or is it the price that needy people have to pay to receive this bag of goodies?

Simon

It is "supposedly" 800B in value, however, many people have complained that when the goods are individually counted at retail price, the "value" is closer to 300B. Where the other 500B that is being charged to the public has gone is anybody's guess.....:whistling:

Actually there are / were three different hand-out packages, all with a different scope of contents, supposedly valued at: 300Baht, 500Baht, and 800Baht.