Sick Dog

Don't worry, this aint another one of those threads. But, our 2 year old black lab is very sick. Lethargic , bloodshot eyes, panting...losing weight very fast(fully vaacinated)My first thought was rabies...but she is drinking plenty of water and showing no agressive signs . Besides, she has been vaccinated.Our daughter is locked inside to be safe anyways. I really thought she would die this morning . Jumped in the truck, me sitting in the tray with her . Got to the vets, Whitney(my wife gave her that name after Whitney Houston...so cute) collapsed on the floor. The vet was having breakfast...the dog had to wait :o

She got good treatment when the vet got around to seeing her. They suspect she has a double attack of some kinda worm or tick . I wash, her and the other two little yappy shites often(they seem fine )

My question, anyone else has experiences with ticks or worms ? There is a pack of about 8 dogs that hang around our gate. I suspect this is where the problem came from . I admit the last few days my mind has been on other things , and, when I think about it I have been she has not been herself the last couple of days

Edited by 350torana

Lethargic , bloodshot eyes, panting...losing weight very fast(fully vaacinated)My first thought was rabies...but she is drinking plenty of water and showing no agressive signs .

bloodshot eyes - do u mean conjunctivitis??

anyhow, bruise around body , subcutaneous hemorrhage, bloody urea , epistaxis ,arthritis ,high fever .. all are the typical sign of tick fever, rickettsia E.canis (carrier - tick)

Tx.. Doxycycline 5-20 mg/kg p/o (dont give it with calcium, Fe, milk) for 14 days ...1st wk bid , 2nd sid

losing weight very fast

- kidney disease

- diabetes

- hyperthyroidism

rabies

has 2 signs , agressive and depressive

but both have same thing ..paralyse of muscle at neck (thats why they cant swallow and make em drooling) and die coz respiratory paralyse

if your dog can eat , drink ... mean she wont get rabies

she is drinking plenty of water

poly urea , poly dipsia , lost appetite..old bitch (or has a history as inject progesterone for birth control) dehydrate , (sometime can see discharge from vagina) ..

has big boobs , huge vagina all time (= cystic ovary)

has bloody (or pus) from vagina more than 14 days

estrus cycle , more than 8mths / time

all can diag. as pyometra ..

- close pyometra ..u can see all signs , without vaginal discharge

- open pyometra .. u can see all signs plus secretion from vagina

TX - spay only , OVH

:o

Edited by BambinA

Tx.. Doxycycline 5-20 mg/kg p/o (dont give it with calcium, Fe, milk) for 14 days ...1st wk bid , 2nd sid

sorry to use the med term

Tx = treat

p/o = per oral

bid = 2 times a day

sid = 1 time a day

anyhow, for Doxy, Tetracycline( tid ,3 times aday) absorp well with fatty richy food .. u can give it with food (sometime if u give it when empty stomach ,it will be vomitting)

Don't worry, this aint another one of those threads. But, our 2 year old black lab is very sick. Lethargic , bloodshot eyes, panting...losing weight very fast(fully vaacinated)My first thought was rabies...but she is drinking plenty of water and showing no agressive signs . Besides, she has been vaccinated.Our daughter is locked inside to be safe anyways. I really thought she would die this morning . Jumped in the truck, me sitting in the tray with her . Got to  the vets, Whitney(my wife gave her that name after Whitney Houston...so cute) collapsed on the floor. The vet was having breakfast...the dog had to wait :o 

She got good treatment when the vet got around to seeing her. They suspect she has a double attack of some kinda worm or tick . I wash, her and the other two little yappy shites often(they seem fine )

My question, anyone else has experiences with ticks or worms ? There is a pack of about 8 dogs that hang around our gate. I suspect this is where the problem came from . I admit the last few days my mind has been on other things , and, when I think about it I have been  she has not been herself the last couple of days

I am sorry to hear about your dog...I don´t have clue about what can it be...bu t maybe you should try to get a second opinion...maybe something has been overlooked by your vet... :D

Lethargic , bloodshot eyes, panting...losing weight very fast

- respiratory tract infection

- canine distemper

(3 signs)

1 respiratory system - pneumonia, nasal dischage

2 nervous system - seizer

3 GI prob - diarrhea

plus , red eyes (conjuctivitis) , sometime find folliculitis

note ...hyperkeratosis at pads , and nose ...is the specific thing that vet need to check :o

note ...hyperkeratosis at pads , and nose ...is the specific thing that vet need to check

Hard pads on the feet for the english speaking amongst us. :o

Does sound very much like it could be distemper. Any reasonably decent vet should be able to recognize distemper immediately, I would think, as it is quite common and communicable.

note ...hyperkeratosis at pads , and nose ...is the specific thing that vet need to check

Hard pads on the feet for the english speaking amongst us. :D

Does sound very much like it could be distemper. Any reasonably decent vet should be able to recognize distemper immediately, I would think, as it is quite common and communicable.

She has been vaccinated for distemper, pavo, rabies ect . Rang up for the blood tests today . Came back as some kinda tick poisioning. Took her in, vet gave her injections and told us to stay 15 mins to observe her. My Thai sucks and his english was little better, so had to rely on my wife , her translation was poisoning of the blood. Our dog seemed alot better when we got her home....actaully got on her feet wagging her tail and walked(staggered around the yard) ,she wolfed down two cans of Pedigree dog food. Gave her a few slices of cheese as well, to disguise her medication and fatten her up;)

It is the eyes that really worry me. I misled people when i said bloodshot, they are red around the rims. But the inner rims of her eyes( pupil, iris.. I can never remeber) are sky blue with traces of a kinda cloudy, white , and she has no reaction to movement ...blind. I hope it is temporary. Maybe cataracts? She is having eye drops twice a day...so maybe not . I have told my wife is she is blind she can still get around fine and have a happy life if her nose and ears are working ok :o . From what I understand...putting a dog down here is not the done thing anyways?

Anyways, thanks for the help everybody. Anymore advice would be welcome:)

Hope your dog is feeling much better Torana.

My neighbour's dog - who lives on my porch more than her own - has become sick in these past few days.... just a little weary to begin with. But tonight she has hair loss all over- like the mange (?) (not sure) and she is looking very poorly and sorry for herself.

Does the mange come really suddenly like that? What could it be?

The owner doesn't seem to have taken her for treatment at all. She's a bit of a freelancer and hangs out with a few scallywag soi dogs at times who aren't the picture of health themselves...... :o

Could be mange, could be tick fever. You could try popping some antibiotics in the dog and see if it helps since the neighbor seems unwilling to do anything.

Blind dogs do just fine, they just need a bit more help. Dogs mostly rely on their noses and ears anyway. Our dog was blinded in one eye in an attack by the neighbor dog (I neutered my male dog but my neighbor didn't see why she should neuter hers, and he's the larger more aggressive dog :o ). Anyway (rant over :D) it took him a bit of time to compensate for the loss of one eye (he's ten and his hearing isn't so good) but he is ok now, just more easily startled.

Don't worry, this aint another one of those threads. But, our 2 year old black lab is very sick. Lethargic , bloodshot eyes, panting...losing weight very fast(fully vaacinated)My first thought was rabies...but she is drinking plenty of water and showing no agressive signs . Besides, she has been vaccinated.Our daughter is locked inside to be safe anyways. I really thought she would die this morning . Jumped in the truck, me sitting in the tray with her . Got to  the vets, Whitney(my wife gave her that name after Whitney Houston...so cute) collapsed on the floor. The vet was having breakfast...the dog had to wait :o 

My question, anyone else has experiences with ticks or worms ? There is a pack of about 8 dogs that hang around our gate. I suspect this is where the problem came from . I admit the last few days my mind has been on other things , and, when I think about it I have been  she has not been herself the last couple of days

My question, anyone else has experiences with ticks or worms ?

Not personally :D

A cautionary tale but it would seem that the priblem is NOT ticks.

My vet friend says it appears more like canine leukemia(which is more common than peoplpe think)

This opinion is based purely on your description of the symptoms as described

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fighting Fleas and Ticks

by Dixie Farley

Back from vacationing at the beach, Fido and Kitty sniff out familiar haunts around the yard. Meanwhile, their owner, Mary, plops down on the family room carpet with a month's mail.

Mary scratches an ankle, then the other one, then a leg. Then she looks down and sees why she's scratching: Fleas!

Although Fido and Kitty are flea-free after dog and cat pesticide dips at the beach, the house is not.

During the weeks before vacation, fleas feeding and breeding on the pets deposited unborn offspring all over the homestead. And during the vacation, fleas at various life stages evolved, nourished by dried-blood flea excrement, "flea dirt," in the carpet and elsewhere. The result: A population explosion of fleas ravenous for fresh blood.

The scenario is fictional. But it depicts this fact: Left uncontrolled, bloodsucking pests can infest not just your cat or dog, but your entire house--and you!

Common household fleas don't usually transmit diseases to pets and people. (See "Human Problems.") The tiny insects are mainly "just a nuisance," says Marcia Larkins, D.V.M., chief of the companion and wildlife drugs branch in the Food and Drug Administration's Center for Veterinary Medicine. "They generally cause a lot of itching and scratching. They may also cause some discomfort due to possible allergic flea bite dermatitis."

Ticks, those other dreaded bloodsuckers, pose greater risk, annually giving pets and thousands of people illnesses such as Lyme disease.

Fortunately, a wide array of pest control products for pets are available: foggers, sprays, dips, powders, dusts, collars, oral liquids and tablets, and even a liquid one-spot topical treatment. There are new oral products that interrupt the flea's life cycle, a Lyme disease vaccine for dogs, and a pesticide product that mimics mouse nesting material to reduce ticks outdoors.

FDA shares regulation of these products with the Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Agriculture. If a pest-control product for pets is given by mouth, injected, or absorbed through the skin, FDA regulates it. Otherwise, EPA does. USDA licenses products that treat or prevent animal illness caused by pests. States sometimes add licensing requirements.

American Fleas

While there are more than 200 species of fleas in this country, the main troublemaker for pets is the cat flea. Happy to feed on anyone in the household--cat, dog or human--these wingless insects will most likely choose a pet, whose fur provides warm camouflage for their breeding ground.

The flea life cycle, illustrated in a 794K PDF file, has four stages: eggs, larvae, pupae, and adults. Female fleas lay as many as 50 eggs a day, starting a life cycle that can be completed in as little as three weeks, depending on temperature and humidity. The eggs hatch into larvae, which feed on "flea dirt," excrement of partially digested blood. Larvae grow and molt twice, then spin cocoons, where they grow to pupae and then adults. The adult remains in the cocoon until vibrations indicate a host is nearby. This waiting can extend the life cycle. It also explains why large numbers of fleas often are seen when an empty building is reoccupied. Six-legged adults emerge and attach to a host to feed and breed, beginnning the cycle all over again.

Even when fleas elude detection on a pet, their black poppyseed-like excrement gives them away.

The main problem with fleas--itching--is due not only to their bites, but also to their crawling over the skin.

Other flea bite problems and their symptoms include:

anemia in young, older or ill pets--pale gums, weakness, lethargy

transmission of tapeworm to pets--irritability, erratic appetite, shaggy coat, mild diarrhea, weight loss, seizures

transmission by rodent fleas of plague to cats--fever, swollen lymph nodes, mouth sores, swollen tongue, cough, pneumonia.

Also, some pets are extremely allergic to flea bites. In these pets, fleas may cause a rash, inflammation, and hair loss. In response, cats may compulsively overgroom.

Preparations made from antigens extracted from fleas may help, says David Espeseth, D.V.M., deputy director of USDA's Division of Veterinary Biologics. USDA has licensed several.

"If a pet shows a reaction in a skin test," Espeseth says, "that antigen may be effective in treating the animal against that sensitivity. When allergic animals don't react in the skin, this may mean you don't have the right antigen."

FDA has approved new types of prescription flea-control products:

Proban (cythioate), first oral insecticide for dogs--A liquid or tablet, Proban is given once every three days or twice a week. Several weeks' treatment may be needed if fleas reinfest the dog.

Pro-Spot (fenthion), first topically absorbed insecticide for dogs--A liquid, Pro-Spot is applied to one spot between the dog's shoulder blades no more than once every two weeks. Treatment length depends on the rate of flea infestation.

Program (lufenuron), first oral insect growth regulator (IGR) for dogs--A tablet, Program is given once a month with a full meal. The IGR interrupts the flea life cycle: Upon biting the pet, the female flea ingests the IGR, which deposits in her eggs to stop them from developing.

Program (lufenuron suspension), first oral IGR for cats--A liquid, Program is given once a month, mixed with food. Cats must be at least 6 weeks old.

Washing the pet's bedding regularly and vacuuming frequently also helps keep the flea population down. The vacuum bag should be changed after vacuuming and the used one burned, if possible, to prevent it from serving as a flea incubator. Cats who don't go outside have the least risk of getting fleas.

Tenacious Ticks

A tick has a one-piece body. The harpoon-like barbs of its mouth attach to a host for feeding. Crablike legs and a sticky secretion help hold the tick to the host. When attempting to remove a tick, to prevent the mouth part from coming off and remaining embedded in the skin, grasp the mouth close to the skin with tweezers and pull gently. (See "Preventing Tick-Borne Disease.")

Ticks are not insects like fleas, but arachnids like mites, spiders and scorpions. They have a four-stage life cycle, illustrated in a 794K PDF file: eggs, larvae, nymphs, and adults. Adult females of some species lay about 100 eggs at a time. Others lay 3,000 to 6,000 eggs per batch. Six-legged larvae hatch from the eggs. After at least one blood meal, the larvae molt into eight-legged nymphs--in some species, more than once. Final nymphs molt into adult males or females, also with eight legs. Depending on its species, a tick may take less than a year or up to several years to go through its four-stage life cycle. While ticks need a blood meal at each stage after hatching, some species can survive years without feeding.

The United States has about 200 tick species. Habitats include woods, beach grass, lawns, forests, and even urban areas.

Ticks may carry various infectious organisms that can transmit diseases to cats and dogs, including the following (listed with possible symptoms):

babesiosis--lethargy, appetite loss, weakness, pale gums

ehrlichiosis--high fever, muscle aches

Lyme disease--lameness, swollen joints, fever, poor appetite, fatigue, and vomiting (some infected animals show no symptoms)

tick paralysis in dogs--gradual paralysis, seen first as an unsteady gait from uncoordinated back legs (some infected dogs don't develop paralysis).

In June 1992, USDA licensed a vaccine to prevent Lyme disease in dogs. This followed a conditional license in 1990.

According to USDA's Espeseth, "There were early concerns about disease related to abnormal immune responses. But we've never seen this. Nor have we seen such responses with extensive safety testing prior to the final licensing."

In most cases, immunity lasts at least five or six months, Espeseth says. "The recommendations are for dogs actively in the field, subject to exposure. For dogs in apartments or those that very seldom get out or reside in regions where Lyme disease isn't prevalent, it's probably not worthwhile."

To reduce the population of deer ticks, which transmit Lyme and other diseases and often attach to the deer mouse, EPA has licensed a product named Damminix. It consists of tubes stuffed with cotton balls treated with the pesticide permethrin.

"The cotton balls mimic the nesting material for the deer mouse," says George La Rocca, a product manager in EPA's Office of Pesticide Programs. The label, he says, directs users to place the tubes containing the cotton balls in outdoor areas inhabited by mice, such as brush-covered and wooded areas. "It kills and repels ticks on the mice. It's not meant to eradicate Lyme disease, but to reduce its incidence."

(See "Preventing Tick-Borne Disease.")

Debugging

To protect pets from the discomfort and illness caused by fleas and ticks, it's important to rid the pets of the pests. It's also important to treat a pet's environment to prevent or reduce the incidence of reinfestation, says FDA's Larkins.

Products to control these pests are not risk-free, however. (See "Improving Safety.") Approved or registered products must warn users about the risks the product poses and give directions for safest use. Proban's label, for example, warns that the product is not for use in greyhounds, who are sensitive to the insecticide it contains, an organic phosphate. Also, some products should not be used together or when a pet is taking certain medicines.

Larkins advises, "Follow directions for use very carefully, even with over-the-counter products. If you don't understand the directions or have questions, talk to your veterinarian."

EPA product manager Rick Keigwin agrees. As pesticides are intended to kill pests, they generally are inherently toxic, he says. "Some products pose some risks, but they also offer significant benefits. We balance the risks with the benefits."

La Rocca adds that with cats, use only products labeled for cats. "Cats are more sensitive than dogs in general," he says. "It also has to do with their size--just like children are more sensitive than adults--and their grooming habits. Dogs groom, but cats groom more, so they would ingest more of a topical product."

Virtually hundreds of pesticides and repellents are approved or licensed to control fleas and ticks on cats and dogs or in their environment.

To select proper products for your pet's individual needs, talk to your veterinarian, says Larkins. "It's a personal choice between you and your veterinarian about the best product to use and how to treat the animal, as well as the environment."

Dixie Farley is a staff writer for FDA Consumer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Improving Safety

Pesticides and repellents to protect cats and dogs from fleas and ticks have risks as well as benefits. Concerned over recent reports of adverse effects from such products, the Environmental Protection Agency, in cooperation with industry, has developed guidance for labeling changes to promote proper use.

The effort, coordinated by EPA policy analyst Janet Whitehurst, began early in 1994, when she learned that in just 18 months, EPA had received 853 reports of adverse effects, including 148 animal deaths and 58 reports of illness in humans. Most reports involved cats, which are more sensitive than dogs.

Improved labels would:

Direct users to read the entire label before each use.

Clearly state the animal for which the product is registered and the minimum age for safe use.

Caution users to consult a veterinarian before treating certain animals, such as those that are ill or pregnant (unless safety is known).

Warn about adverse reactions and interactions with medicines or other chemicals.

Advise users to wash their hands after use.

Clearly state limitations for reapplication.

Give a phone number to call about proper use and emergencies.

Include first-aid information.

--D.F.

Using Flea and Tick Products

Read the entire label before use. If you don't understand something, ask your veterinarian.

Follow directions exactly, using latex gloves if possible. Then wash your hands.

On cats, use only products labeled for cats.

Store products away from food and out of children's reach.

Preventing Tick-Borne Disease

If your dog is outside regularly, ask the veterinarian about the Lyme disease vaccine. (There's no vaccine for cats yet.) Watch for itching, pain, appetite loss, lethargy, fever, swollen joints, or lameness. If you suspect a tick-borne disease, see the veterinarian pronto. With early diagnosis, antibiotics generally work.

The illustration at right shows proper tick removal procedures. Using fine-point tweezers, grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible and pull gently. Make sure you've cleaned your hands, the bite site, and the tweezers with disinfectant. You may want to wear latex gloves.

The Lyme Disease Foundation, Hartford, Conn., suggests:

Apply tick-killing pesticides to your pets.

Treat your pet's environment with tick-killing pesticides.

Mow grass regularly.

Avoid allowing your pet in grassy, wooded or beach areas, unless you take appropriate precautions. While in areas of tick exposure, examine pets closely for ticks on a daily basis, especially around the head and inside the ears.

Remove ticks immediately. This is important because it can take hours for an infected tick to transmit disease. Using fine-point tweezers, grasp the tick where the mouth parts are embedded into the skin and pull gently. Make sure you've cleaned your hands, the bite site, and the tweezers with disinfectant. You may want to wear latex gloves.

Place the tick in a small container, like a pill vial. Label the container with the date, pet's name, type of animal, and your name, address, and phone number. Call your veterinarian about having the tick analyzed for type and possible diseases it may transmit.

Never remove a tick with your fingers, as the squeezing further injects infectious material.

Never try to burn a tick off or to smother it with petroleum jelly or nail polish, as these methods don't work.

In addition, take these steps to protect yourself when in woods and grasslands:

Wear long-sleeved shirts tight at the wrists, long pants tight at the ankles and tucked in socks, and shoes covering the whole foot.

Wear light-colored clothes that show ticks easily.

On clothing, use a repellent containing permethrin. However, do not apply it to clothing while it is being worn, and allow the clothing to thoroughly dry before wearing.

On skin, use a repellent containing DEET. But don't overdo it. Too much bug spray can cause breathing difficulty, especially in children.

--D.F.

Human Problems

Fleas and ticks transmit diseases to people as well as pets.

Lyme disease is by far the most often reported tick-borne disease in humans in the United States: 13,083 cases in 1994, up from 8,257 in 1993. Most reports came from the Northeast and North Central regions of the country. Symptoms include fatigue, chills and fever, headache, muscle and joint pain, swollen lymph nodes, and a red, circular skin rash. (See "Getting Lyme Disease to Take a Hike," in the June 1994 FDA Consumer.)

The next most prevalent disease from ticks is Rocky Mountain spotted fever, characterized by fever, headache, rash, and nausea or vomiting. It affects more than 500 people each year, according to the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

CDC received reports of 415 cases of human monocytotropic ehrlichiosis, a disease also transmitted by ticks, since it was identified in 1986. It is similar to Rocky Mountain spotted fever, but usually without the rash. In 1994, scientists identified another similar disease, human granulocytic ehrlichiosis, or HGE. About 170 cases have been reported.

The organism that causes the tick-borne disease babesiosis infects red blood cells, which burst and die, resulting in hemolytic anemia. Patients develop a malaria-like fever, chills, sweats, muscle aches, nausea, and vomiting; those with no spleen are at particular risk of developing severe disease. The reported incidence of babesiosis is about one-tenth that of Lyme disease, or even less, according to Sam Telford, Ph.D., a lecturer on tropical public health with the Harvard School of Public Health.

Lyme disease, HGE, and babesiosis are all transmitted by the deer tick. Ticks have been found to have any two of those disease-causing organisms. "I believe it's only a matter of time before we find a tick with all three," Telford says. The lone star tick transmits human monocytotropic ehrlichiosis.

Many exposed people never develop the diseases. Roughly 5 percent of the coastal Massachusetts' population has antibodies against babesiosis, Telford says. "We believe it's about the same for ehrlichiosis. For Lyme disease, it's maybe three times that."

Fleas or an infected animal can transmit bubonic plague. Seven cases, including one death, were reported to CDC in 1995, in Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Oregon. Another 13 cases, also including one death, were reported in 1994, in Arizona, California, Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah.

Symptoms of bubonic plague include fever, headache, vague discomfort, and very painful, swollen lymph nodes near the infection site. Septicemic plague is more serious because the bloodstream is infected, as is pneumonic plague, with its overwhelming pneumonia. Antibiotics are used for treatment. A plague vaccine is available for special groups at very high risk.

Early diagnosis and treatment give humans the best chance of recovery from these and other flea- or tick-transmitted diseases.

--D.F.

FDA Consumer magazine (July-August 1996)

Edited by roscoe

My neighbour's dog - who lives on my porch more than her own - has become sick in these past few days....  just a little weary to begin with. But tonight she has hair loss all over- like the mange (?) (not sure) and she is looking very poorly and sorry for herself.

Does the mange come really suddenly like that? What could it be?

FYI , many people misunderstand, when they see a dog with hair loss.. 99% suspect , its Mange (yah.. many skin problems have no much differnt sign..and hard to rule out) :D:o

many causes can make hair loss, (alopecia)

- mange

- dermatophyte (fungus) / ringworm

- yeast infection (malassezia spp.)

- food allergy

- atopy

- hormonal imbalance ( example, hypothyrodism /hypo estroten /hypo testosterone..ect)

-flea bite allergy

anyway .. in case of mange .. the TX is, injection Ivermectin 800-1000 Micrograms every week ( 4-10 wks)

(sometime , can dip dog , with amitraz solution) ...from my experience, just inj. by iermec is ok enuf

if the dog has a sign of 2nd bacterial infection ... give him/her antibiotic must be helpful

example , sulfa-trimethoprim , norfloxacin

Bambi :D

BAMBI,

microgramss is 'units' as in the insulin syringes?? 0.080??

how much is the ivomec u use? we use ivomac for cattle and sheep and i prefer to give oral so can use more (x30 poison rating)? for cattle its 1.5 ml; for rabbits its 10 units per 2 kilo weight...and its doesnt seem to work at all against any external parasites except for the mange mites... and internal worms of course...

and the hypo estrogen i've seen in ferrets with terrible alopecia and anemia etc... a hormone eostrus inducing shot works (if u have cows u can use the same stuff u use to get them in heat)

biambi, correct if wrong but the whitening of the corneas means bad infection in eyes; with goats and dogs if not treated aggressively it does mean lose of eyesight but if treated well (goats and my boxer bitch both got some kind of atropine drops to stop unneccesssary movement, and two kinds of antibiotic drop/ sulpha and tarocin if i remember names ...)

norfloxacin, great stuff...saved me a few goat kids

Edited by bina

BAMBI,

microgramss is 'units' as in the insulin syringes?? 0.080?? 

how much is the ivomec u use? we use ivomac for cattle and sheep and i prefer to give oral so can use more (x30 poison rating)? for cattle its 1.5 ml; for rabbits its 10 units per 2 kilo weight...and its doesnt seem to work at all against any external parasites except for the mange mites... and internal worms of course...

yes , microgram, ivermic 1 cc = 1000 Mcgram

so for mange can use 1cc /12.5-20 kg, dog

you can use cattle ivermec , all are the same (even dose per cc.) just differnt package

biambi, correct if wrong but the whitening of the corneas means bad infection in eyes; with goats and dogs if not treated aggressively it does mean lose of eyesight but if treated well (goats and my boxer bitch both got some kind of atropine drops to stop unneccesssary movement, and two kinds of antibiotic drop/ sulpha and tarocin if i remember names ...)

corneal opacity , can happend from many cause..

for make it's clear (and your suor animal does not has a sign of corneal ulcer) ABO+steroid eyes drop is useful ( as maxitrol)

if u re not sure , try cyclosporin solution eyes drop after use some ATB drop

ohh sorry Bina, forget to tell you about ivemec per oral ..

usually we dilute it with propylene gly call b4 feed animal , but pure of it is fine also ..still pretty safe

ivemec has an effect at GABA recepter between neuron , (in mammal , ivemec cant pass blood brian barrier ( excpet shetland and collies ..DO NOT USE ivermec)

coz IVM has an effect of GABA ..so it will make Tick , Mite and round worm get paralyse and die

Have you considered the possibility of poisoning?

Doesn't have to be intention either. There's always a lot of crap lying around and dogs will eat anything at least once (and sometimes, if they're real stupid, more than once).

Perhaps she drank out of a bad puddle or got into some household chemicals. Take a look around and see if there are any likely suspects around your house.

I bought a dog in Bangkok market awhile back. She was happy, had a lot of energy and fun to play with. Right after I bought her, I took her to the vet for all the shots she needed (she was about 8 weeks old). Within 3 days, she was housebroke and wouldn't bark at night. Great companion. After about 8 days later she was sick and a couple days later she died. The vet said parvovirus. Next time I buy a dog, I will wait when the dog show shows up in Bangkok. I'll find a good kennel that sells healthy dogs, with a guarantee. At least 30 days. Until then I will wait. Here is a picture of the dog I bought. Even after only owning her about 12 days I still miss her.

post-5937-1132541014_thumb.jpg

yes ,  microgram,  ivermic  1  cc = 1000 Mcgram

so for  mange  can  use 1cc /12.5-20  kg, dog

you can  use  cattle ivermec , all are the same (even dose per cc.)  just differnt package

sorry ... need to correct .. IVM 1 cc = 10 000 Mcg. :o:D

Edited by BambinA

Bambi....had a female dog that had what I think was a flea allergy and was losing hair from the base of her tail and nothing seemed to fix it. After she delivered a litter, one of the Pups got Puppy Strangles, where there is a build up of pus in the throat area which can kill them slowly.....the vet drained the pus and put a drain tube in, he said it came from the mothers milk so I asked for anti biotics to give the mother to try and prevent any further problems.... the anti biotic he gave me also cured the flea allergy permanantly....any clues as to which anti biotic it was.

Bambi....had a female dog that had what I think was a flea allergy and was losing hair from the base of her tail and nothing seemed to fix it.

yes , its a typical lesion of flea bite allergey , alopecia around tail and hind part of back

TX

1 get rid flea , as frontline spot one, shampoo..etc

2 antihistamine and/or steroid (systemic) as chorpheniramine +/- predisolone 1-2 wks

3 steroid+ATB tropical cream as unipred

4 ATB - for 2nd bacterial infection

After she delivered a litter, one of the Pups got Puppy Strangles, where there is a build up of pus in the throat area which can kill them slowly.....the vet drained the pus and put a drain tube in, he said it came from the mothers milk so I asked for anti biotics to give the mother to try and prevent any further problems
do u mean an abcess at pup's neck? .. IMHO opinion, it was from small wound and then get infection

for milk (incase mom has a prob of mastitis) ..in milk will have toxin , make puppy diarrhea , and dead

mastitis (inflamation of mammaly gland) .. the mik will have strange color or curd , and breast.. it will be swallen, warm ,read

.... the anti biotic he gave me also cured the flea allergy permanantly....any clues as to which anti biotic it was

hmm ... need more detail about what is it colore, tab or capsule, etc

actaully ATB cant cure flea bite allergy , but we use it for treatment 2nd bacterial infection at skin

basically in Staph, aureus has beta-lactamase ..so sometime , B-lactam group as penicillin, amox. wont work well

sometime we use Norflox ,Cephalexin , Sulfa-trimethoprim ,Amox-Clavulinic acid ..etc (but need to beware in case feeding peroid that drug can pass through milky

in case puppy, we have less choice to use ATB, seem the safety group is B-lactam ATB

Edited by BambinA

Sorry Bambi.....should have said ...."he said It may have come from the milk" quite right it could be from a wound caused by the other Pups....they were only about 5 -6 weeks old at the time.

Cant remember much about the tablets...but it sure as heckle cleared Mums hair loss up. the ATB was given to her not the pups.

BTW...I used to have another Vet friend in BKK..very small lady :o

Cant remember much about the tablets...but it sure as heckle cleared Mums hair loss up. the ATB was given to her not the pups.

yah .. and some drug after metabolized , can relized and come trough milk, as drug residue .. but i think its fine.. your vet 'd be do the good job

BTW...I used to have another Vet friend in BKK..very small lady :D

now u have new one from TV forum , not that small ..but cute enuf :o:D:D

Although excellent advice has been given above, I was just wondering if we should mention the preventative...regularly check your pets for ticks and fleas.

If you find fleas etc you should follow the excellent advice given above, but if it is a tick bite in the early stages, careful removal (making SURE) to remove the HEAD as well might stop things progressing to where medical help is necessary.

I was looking after my brothers two cats while he and his wife were away for a few days and checking each day I found first on one cat, then a couple of days later on the other, a tick.

Luckily I had a simple little removal tool handy, and was able to get them off the cats as soon as I found them - but it does take a little work, and you really must make sure to remove the head or the infection/poisoning can continue.

I stress that this is only in the early stages, before the animal is showing signs of distress - and as with any medical condition affecting your animals - if there are symptoms and they persist in any way or develop after removal of the tick, immediately take the animal to a vet.

This really only applies if you check every day or so and find a new tick on the animal.

It's quite common and normal here in Australia to do a regular "tick patrol" over your pets especially if living near bushland or certain well known tick areas.

Is this a fair thing to say, BambinA?

Edited by Greer

We have some problem with mange (and flees and million of ticks ofcourse) on our land... Since we have 28 dogs (or, I have one, and my wifes parents have 27), getting them mange and flee-free itsn't easy.

Right now I try to select 2 or 3 that I bath once per week or so and that have some sort of 'mange poision' (not my words, and I can't read thai) that is applied to the affected skin with water and schampoo and then left to 'affect the area' for 30 minutes..and then washed off. Works great, the hair starts comming back within days, but not sure if it's enough. Or how poisinious it is for the dog. Or how often to repeat the procedure.

Would say that right now about 6 dogs are affected by mange, and I really don't have time to handle them all...and my wifes family is very...hm...for lack of better words...'thai' about their dogs. (They are dogs, not pets one should have in the house...and so on.) So I'm not really expecting them to muster up and really put some time aside for their dog. To other much work every day.

So...in general, I might just wonder...names for better cures, and where to get them. And any general info about the problem of 'mange'. (Had never heard about if before moving here.)

Thank you. Are you by any chance a medical student?

Btw, regarding mange, am I to understand that it's kinda like scab, meaning it is caused by very small bugs living under the skin and effectivly killing it by building their tunnels?

How is the most common way of spreading of mange? (I ask this since normal body-contact shouldn't be the only way, since it managed to spread between two groups of dogs that don't get a chance to interact here.) How long is the incubation period? And does a dog spread it during incubation...and how long adfter recieving treatment?

Hope this isn't too many questions, but I like to know everything about what I'm dealing with. =)

Thank you. Are you by any chance a medical student?

i was a vet student BTW

Btw, regarding mange, am I to understand that it's kinda like scab, meaning it is caused by very small bugs living under the skin and effectivly killing it by building their tunnels?
yes..demodex canis (demodex mange), stay in hair follicle , sometime we can find it in in sebaceous gland , life cycle ~ 20-35 days

for sarcoptes scabii var . canis (sarcoptic mange) live in s/c Str. corneum

basically both of mange can find in normal dog (as normal flora) without the sight of mange .. when dog has low immune , and /or immono supressive..make its over growth

so sometime we can see dogs in same group, some dogs have lesion, but some dog are normal

How is the most common way of spreading of mange?

direct contact , bedding , environment , comb,cage ..etc

How long is the incubation period?
12-14 days
And does a dog spread it during incubation...

yes