Passport Renewal In Uk

I return to the UK for 3 weeks in December.

I was planning to renew my passport (not due until 2015 but only 3 pages left) on the basis that I can save GB)50 (as opposed to going via HK) even using Peterborough's express 4 hour service.

I assumed I would be OK coming back on the new passport but retaining my Non-Inn O visa in the old passport i.e. carrying 2 passports. It was then my intention to arrange a retirement extension early in 2012.

Everything seemed fine until someone told me that I would have a problem re-entering Thailand in January because my visa (which runs to May 2012) will not be stamped in a valid passport.

Any views ?

A re-entry stamp has nothing to do with a visa entry. If you have a multi entry visa no re-entry stamp is needed. It is extensions of stay that you normally want a re-entry for and they are transferred into new passport by Immigration. There is no problem using a visa in an old passport - stamps for entry/exit are made in the new passport which is valid. The visa remains valid in an old passport.

Thank you. Maybe Korat misunderstood Alan's question.

My question here was posed as a result of a conversation I had with Alan. Alan has a new passport and wants to visit Cambodia next week - he sensibly asked Korat immigration but it seem she was given the wrong information or they thought he was looking for a re-entry permit ?

With a new passport he should visit immirgation and get the necesarry details transfered to the new passport and a re-entry permit.

In your case you recieve the new passport abroad, so you just return with both passports ad get stamped in the new passport. Than either immigraiton at the airport will transfer the details or tell you to go to your immigraiton office to have the details transferred.

I am not sure what Alan had but OP appeared to be talking about a multi entry non immigrant O visa so would not be a problem. If Alan only had a used visa entry and wanted a re-entry to keep 60 o0r 90 day stay alive it could be an issue as visa stays are no longer transferred into new passports by Immigration so likely a re-entry could not be issued as would be the case for an extension of stay.

With a new passport he should visit immirgation and get the necesarry details transfered to the new passport and a re-entry permit.

In your case you recieve the new passport abroad, so you just return with both passports ad get stamped in the new passport. Than either immigraiton at the airport will transfer the details or tell you to go to your immigraiton office to have the details transferred.

Thanks Mario - my position seems a little clearer (I have emailed the Thai Consulate in Hull for confirmation).

In Alan's case, are saying he can travel to Cambodia or cannot travel without first getting his visa transferred.

By coincidence I will be in the same position in January - I return to Thailand on 3rd January but travel to Cambodia on 20th.

Alan should be fien when he visits immirgaiton first before he leaves Thailand. The process is free, the re-entry permit not.

You seem indeed to have a valid multiple non-immirgant visa, so just follow Lopburi's advise and show both passports each time you enter the country, untill you apply for an extension of stay.

Sorry Mario - just to be clear - Alan has a non-Imm O so doesn't need a re-entry. He was just told by Korat that he could not travel to cambodia on 2 passports and would need to transfer his visa before travelling.

You cannot transfer a visa to another passport. In case a valid visa is in an expired (or full) passport, you simply use both passports. The old one to show the valid visa and the new one to get the stamp in.

It might be that they are reffering to a problem with Cambodian immmigration. I have no knowledge ho Cambodia will look to a person with two passports, but for Thailand it would not be a problem.

Thai Immigration can transfer his entry stamp and details to the new passport, so he will have an entry and exit stamp in his new passport. That is what the Cambodian immigraiton will be looking for. Upon return to Thailand he would than show both passports again to Thai immigration.

Sorry Mario - just to be clear - Alan has a non-Imm O so doesn't need a re-entry. He was just told by Korat that he could not travel to cambodia on 2 passports and would need to transfer his visa before travelling.

You cannot transfer a visa to another passport. In case a valid visa is in an expired (or full) passport, you simply use both passports. The old one to show the valid visa and the new one to get the stamp in.

It might be that they are reffering to a problem with Cambodian immmigration. I have no knowledge ho Cambodia will look to a person with two passports, but for Thailand it would not be a problem.

Thai Immigration can transfer his entry stamp and details to the new passport, so he will have an entry and exit stamp in his new passport. That is what the Cambodian immigraiton will be looking for. Upon return to Thailand he would than show both passports again to Thai immigration.

Thanks. Although you say a visa cannot be transferred, I am aware that up to 3 pages of a new passport can be taken up with the transfer of details from the 'base' visa and subsequent extensions. This is dealt with by the 'transfer stamp....' Immigration form.

I don't see Cambodia being a problem. Having exited Thailand a tourist visa is obtained to cover the period of stay and you enter on the new passport - clean as a whistle!

Coming back into Thailand is the challenge.

It seems that there should be no issue in getting a 90 day stamp in the new passport based on entry with the visa in the old passport. (despite Korat suggesting otherwise)

There is no issue - you just show both. And it is very common - the normal US visa is valid for ten years so almost all Thai end up having two passports to show at some point. Thailand is no different and know what to do (at least those at border do). Thailand does not transfer a visa - they only enter information into a new passport and that can not be used for entry. If you have a multi entry you show the original passport to use it.