PM Yingluck Will Not Step Down

webfact

Yingluck will not step down

The Nation

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Thursday dismissed speculation that she would step down in the face of botched flood control.

"I will work to the best of my ability to serve the people in every area without prejudice on political camps or colours," she said.

Yingluck said all sides should rally behind the authorities in the relief efforts. She was speaking in reaction to criticism that the government failed to control the flooding.

Commenting on compensation payments to flood victims in Bangkok, she said the Interior Ministry and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration would jointly survey the damages before making the payments.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-10

Thai PM says won't quit over flood crisis

BANGKOK, November 10, 2011 (AFP) - Embattled Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Thursday vowed to stay on and fight the country's deadly flood crisis despite criticism of her handling of the disaster.

"People supported and voted for me so I want to continue my work to the best of my ability," she told reporters when asked whether she was considering resigning.

The floods, triggered by months of unusually heavy rains, have killed 533 people and damaged the homes and livelihoods of millions around the country.

The waters are now slowly closing in on the heart of Bangkok, a city of 12 million people, swamping major roads and threatening the downtown area's luxury hotels, businesses and shopping malls.

Visiting a shelter for flood evacuees in Bangkok's Chatuchak district, Yingluck pleaded for understanding from the public.

"I want to ask for sympathy for all the officials who are working to fight the floodwaters, and as for me I will do my best and will listen to all suggestions," she said.

Yingluck, a political novice and sister of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra who only came to power in August, has been under enormous pressure to tackle the three-month-old crisis.

Her administration has also come under fire for its confusing information about the extent of the flood threat.

The 44-year-old premier has shown signs of emotional strain in recent weeks but she hit back at critics who chided her for appearing teary-eyed during visits to flood-hit zones.

"My tears flow not because I am weak -- otherwise I would not have come this far. I would have quit a long time ago," she said on her way to another evacuation centre later in the day.

"It's normal to feel overwhelmed when I see people suffering," she said.

After three months in office, Yingluck's government scored an approval rating of about 48 percent, according to a nationwide survey of 1,168 people published by Bangkok University on Tuesday.

"So far she has run the country without direction or decisiveness," said Chavanond Intarakomalyasut, a spokesman for the main opposition Democrat Party, which has stopped short of calling for Yingluck's resignation.

The ruling Puea Thai party, meanwhile, rallied around the premier, whose older brother Thaksin is seen as the de facto party leader, dismissing rumours that some members wanted her to stand aside.

"Party executives and core leaders are happy with her work and always offer support," said spokesman Pormpong Nopparit.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-11-10

Usual crap timing and thoughtless comment from the democrats, nothing to see here............carry on and do your best Yingluck

And the usual - your either black or your white.

Do you not accept that some of the people who voted for her (her brother) would now be rather negative?

Bottom line - it's simply not possible that all pt / red supporters are now happy.

Edited by scorecard

why should she step down?

Now the time of harvest comes. 900 billion Baht...It will double the Shinawatra funds.

Yes, replaced by who exactly? Move over Orville here is Cuddles. :rolleyes:

Will big bro risk sending his sister to jail if proof was ever found ? Would be a pretty wreckless brother

Why jail?? I doubt that the police (brother in law) will find something and the courts are soon under control as well.

Now the time of harvest comes. 900 billion Baht...It will double the Shinawatra funds.

Exactly what I thinking, they will get a lot of Yen, and the banks make big party too... Who pays? Exactly, get 1000 Bt. for Vote and payback 10.000 Bt.

That's the game...

Usual crap timing and thoughtless comment from the democrats, nothing to see here............carry on and do your best Yingluck

From the Democrats?

Re-posted for the benefit of those who are apparently unaware.

While Yingluck carries on, she should watch her back for "friendly fire" from her own side.

It was reported that the former Thai Rak Thai executives feared that Yingluck's poor performance in dealing with the flood crisis would affect the Pheu Thai's political bases.

The reports said the Thai Rak Thai executives wanted to replace Yingluck with either Justice Minister Pracha Promnok and Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung.

Bangkok Senator Rosana Tositrakul said she did agree to a suggestion by a group of pro-Thaksin politicians from the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party that the PM be replaced for her alleged failure to deal with the flood problem.

Edited by Buchholz

More of this "have sympathy for the officials" from to Yingluck; I imagine people's who's houses are flooded and sleeping rough want a bit of sympathy from her, not asked for them to pity the poor stressed out officials who's crap magement is making things worse than what it could have been

Unfortunately, the best of her ability isn't enough, This is way above her limited ability and intellect.

Agreed!

With the risk of repeting my self.

"She should never taken the job. She was(is) not qualified.

She tought it will be a walk in the park until Big Brother comes

back for the takeover".

Big misstake

Exactly what I thinking, they will get a lot of Yen, and the banks make big party too... Who pays? Exactly, get 1000 Bt. for Vote and payback 10.000 Bt.

That's the game...

I think of the reconstruction, every order you give: 50 % cash back....Even the packages with food....calculate 800 baht, real costs 200-500....Real golden times are coming.

Unfortunately, the best of her ability isn't enough, This is way above her limited ability and intellect.

Agreed!

With the risk of repeting my self.

"She should never taken the job. She was(is) not qualified.

She tought it will be a walk in the park until Big Brother comes

back for the takeover".

Big misstake

Why? No problems so far....As more silly she looks as better big brother will seem to be and a lot money is coming as well

Will big bro risk sending his sister to jail if proof was ever found ?  Would be a pretty wreckless brother

Well, we know for sure Thaksin will not go to jail. So if push comes to shove, it is little sis that will get pushed under the bus.

I got an answer in line with your words only yesterday from a Bangok business man , who's factory and house is flooded for the past 3 weeks,when I joked him that everything would be allright in a few weeks when Thaksin returns.

His exact words were...........Thaksin and his cronies are behind this man created disaster since they will earn a hefty fee from the money spend on recovery.Ever imagined how much money is only 20% contractor fee on 900 Billion?

And then I don't talk yet about the money that goes missing.

PM asserts she won’t step down

image_201111101816148D313EF4-BEF7-858D-68703F14FFCDE151.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 10 - Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Thursday said she would not resign and pledged to continue her duties as premier despite reports about a possible lawsuit on the government's alleged mishandling of flood situation.

The premier made her remarks after media reports that an academic at Chulalongkorn University threatened to file a lawsuit against her and her government for their failure regarding water management and information concealment, leading to the country’s most severe flooding.

Ms Yingluck said she needs to see more information on the move, and asked for public's sympathy and support for concerned officials.

"Today everybody is doing their best. This is a natural disaster that no one could cope with," she said.

Ms Yingluck also said that she welcomed any recommendations regarding the crisis management and would immediately implement them if possible.

Some problems which could not be sort out would be under review by the newly-established committee tasked to map out long-term strategy on water management system, according to the prime minister.

Regarding the likelihood that she ever thought of resignation to take responsibility for the flood crisis, Ms Yingluck asserted she was not disheartened and wanted to do her best for all the Thai people.

The prime minister also defended her emotional display before the public which has been captured several times in the media coverage since she took office, saying it was not the sign of weakness, but to share emotional distress and misery with her people. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-11-10

I get it, she's not stepping down. You've posted the link like 6 times in the Live thread. It wouldn't matter if she did step down anyway, as the's just the standard bearer for the long-experienced crony capitalists below her who are the people really flubbing the response. It's not as if she would be replaced by the Thai equivalent of Lee Kuan Yew or something.

After reading that her emotional display was to share emotional distress and misery with her people, I almost shed a tear myself. :crying: Bless her little heart.

post-6428-0-59155300-1320924875_thumb.jp

This year's Oscar Award winner for 2011 Best Actress goes to "Yingluck Shinawattra" from the movie, "Bangkok Flooding."