Bought Washing Machine

4evermaat

will have Samsung 10kg washing machine delivered to residence tomorrow. I understand that they will hook everything up.

My question is: Do I need to install a separate filter? Or is tap water ok? In Chumphon Town (near thung wua laen beach). I will encourage my GF to make a test run, but the usual thai GF listening difficulty may sink in.

Anything else I need to watch out for would be helpful. I probably will not be there when they come to install it.

Chiangmai is not BKK, so the water quality may differ significantly (for better or worse?). We have a Samsung at the MIL's house and a GE at our house, neither of which has any kind of filter. We have used unfiltered tap water for both for 5 years with no problem.

My MIL had a similar Japanese washer before this one that she used with tap water for at least 15 years with no problem.

Now we do use Heiter bleach in both; does that make a difference over time (i.e., does that prevent scale and lime build up)? Hmmmm, I will have to go google that.

Now that I brought that up, I think about the sinks and toilets in both houses. No noticeable lime/scale build up anywhere except for a little in faucets with screens in them.

Based on my limited experience, I would say tap water is OK to use unfiltered in washing machines.

5 years with the same machine. No external filter. No problems either. I do clean out the internal filter occasionally. I also set the machine to 'clean tub' maybe twice a year or after some particularly dirty water has come through the system. I do not use water softener. If there is hard water in the area does that not usually turn to limescale when heated, as in boiling the kettle regularly?

Number one priority is to make sure that the premises and the washing machine is grounded properly; otherwise you could be buying a potential death trap.

When you say grounded are you talking about its stable position on the ground and being above any water or what I would call being earthed ( genuine 3 pin wired )?

Either grounded by outlet or external wire to a ground point - just make sure. Many outlets that accept ground plug are not grounded - the plug on many items sold for export do not have the proper plug for Thailand grounds even it is three conductor (pin is needed here on most outlets). Often the unit will have a ground wire but that is extra step (and expense) so will not be connected to anything (much less a proper ground rod).

As for detergent scum build up we used to have serious problems with National machines using western brand detergents but found Pao helped a lot (it is designed for Japanese type washing machines and no problems in the 20 years since we changed).

Either grounded by outlet or external wire to a ground point - just make sure. Many outlets that accept ground plug are not grounded - the plug on many items sold for export do not have the proper plug for Thailand grounds even it is three conductor (pin is needed here on most outlets). Often the unit will have a ground wire but that is extra step (and expense) so will not be connected to anything (much less a proper ground rod).

As for detergent scum build up we used to have serious problems with National machines using western brand detergents but found Pao helped a lot (it is designed for Japanese type washing machines and no problems in the 20 years since we changed).

PAO? not sure about that. We use "USA" brand (looks like thai brand with letters "USA"). I doubt the plug is grounded properly. My GF would not know. The waater hose required a different size water faucet connection. For whatever reasons, the building does not have a shut off valve for the water. The complex has the main shutoff valve where the landlord stays for everyone. It should be hooked up today.

Grounded means earth the thing in case of electric shock. If two pin plug, fix a third wire to the metal chassis or casing and change plug to three pin. If you don't have earthed three pin wall outlets then run the earth wire to a 2 mitre earth rod which you must drive into the ground (dirt). :)

Our Samsung is now 5 years old with no filtering other than the one they will (should) fit to the machine inlet.

Grounded means earth the thing in case of electric shock. If two pin plug, fix a third wire to the metal chassis or casing and change plug to three pin. If you don't have earthed three pin wall outlets then run the earth wire to a 2 mitre earth rod which you must drive into the ground (dirt). :)

Our Samsung is now 5 years old with no filtering other than the one they will (should) fit to the machine inlet.

My next door neighbours have a10 year old Samsung, it stands outside all weathers, when its is in operation it is powered by an extension cable ( wind up type) which is pluged in in the kitchen, all the sockets are 2 pin, there is no earth to drive an earth rod in. I was thinking of getting a washing machine shortly sounds as if it could be a bit dodgy and I suspect that this will apply to all Thai products ( likely not earthed) so what does one do when buying electrical appliances?

My next door neighbours have a10 year old Samsung, it stands outside all weathers, when its is in operation it is powered by an extension cable ( wind up type) which is pluged in in the kitchen, all the sockets are 2 pin, there is no earth to drive an earth rod in. I was thinking of getting a washing machine shortly sounds as if it could be a bit dodgy and I suspect that this will apply to all Thai products ( likely not earthed) so what does one do when buying electrical appliances?

Have seen machines here that are all plastic casing's to reduce the chance of electrocution. ;) My wife had the same machine in the open. When l saw it l nearly died, well almost. :)

This electric wiring business seems a bit scary to me, maybe someone can enlighten me.

I can remember when I was young I would just wire a plug, 3 wires no problem as time went by the health and safety gang got going and I had to tak ea safty course on how to wire a plug, I was one of the few in my dept who was allowed to do this! As time went on most of the appliances came with moulded plugs so that was that. I was told that it was against the law in Aus to even remove one ( true?). Either way three pins, earthed and it all worked safely. Europe like Thailand and the US all like 2 pins mmm? Now I have bought some Thai electrical appliances and I can feel the energy in the goods through my fingers, so I am thinking they are not earthed, Thai man say they are earthed, of course my fingers tell me the truth and even if they come with 3 plugs do I have an earthed product? The sockets in the house are 3 pin, is it for show or real how would I know? Can anyone tell me?

Do many Thais or others for that matter die of electruction?

Edited by nong38

This is Thailand. Grounding/earthing is not important. Newer houses and condo's may have 3-pin service outlets but most ground/earth pins are not even wired in. Most locally made, non brand-name power extension cables you purchase in retail outlets are 2-pin and most 3-pin ones do not have any connection to the third earth/ground pin anyway. The concept of ground/earth isn't significant as the domestic electrical wiring standards of the country does not support it.

As noted, there's a wide range of totally adequate Japanese washing machines with plastic housings that may look strange to those familiar with standard western 'white goods' domestic appliances but once again, they were made for the Japanese (and Asian) market and have an adequate level of electrical safety that prevails here.

I've had my washing machine for 6 years and had no problems - even though my water was filthy up until recently.

Unfortunately I'm not practical, so have absolutely no idea where the filter is, so have been unable to clean it.

As previous posters have pointed out, 'grounding' is important. Personally I wear rubber flip-flops whenever touching my washing machine or dishwasher.

They are familiar to me, I remember seeing those twin tubs when I was very young, dont sure if they were plastic but the new front loaders are not more efficient, just look good and fit under the worktop!

Thanks for the information. Puts my mind at rest somewhat.