Removal Of Don Muang Airport Big Bag Barriers Draws Condemnation

Lite Beer

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My question wold be, is the water level being blocked by the big bags actually going down at all?

or is it at the same level??

If the water level is not going down, there comes a point in time when the water must

be allowed thru an run it's natural course. Let the water flow as the water sees fit

The sitting water is and will become a breeding ground for disease, this cold cause

untold harm and worse.

Let the water flow

Last I heard it was actually going down on both sides.

It is absolutely ridiculous to believe you should let an entire city flood because that is how the water wants to flow. Every government in the world would do its best to limit the destruction by sacrificing less populated and critical areas. These people are idiots who want to tear down water barriers. All it will accomplish is making others suffer too and when the floods are gone it will take considerably longer for them to receive assistance and they will receive considerably less funds and resources because they will have to be allocated elsewhere and in many cases these people will fall lowest in the priority list in terms of where attention will be given after the floods.

Im pretty sure all those for the greater good you must suffer more so we can keep dry feet would not mind paying some compensation out of their own pockets to those who are suffering extra to keep them dry....no... oh i guessed not.

I am not influenced by this big bags, but i can understand that they want it removed. If it helps them im all for it. If BKK gets 20 cm of water.. so what life goes on. But they are living without electricity in more then 1,5 meter of water.

All those people advocating for the greater good are dry. Those who are not are wet. If at least the people who are kept dry at the cost of others would pay for this pleasure im sure the residents would be less angry. Now they get 5k. I know that where i come from if a government does things to for the greater good the ones suffering get good compensation (think of forcing people to sell land for construction of a road)

RT @terryfrd: Dr Anond, interviewed on Thai PBS, says leaving big bag breach open might delaying road drying by 2-3 days, but spread flooding.

RT @terryfrd: Key to everyone's problem on BKK side, says Dr Anong is reducing level in Khlong Rangsit which is going down about 3 cm/day.

Bkk gov concerned abt safety of big bags, asks police to help ensure public don't destroy, could face 3mnths jail/6k fine. /TANN

Hopefully Karun will be spending a few months in jail. Not likely though. :angry:

If his mouth hadn't been busted up, the prone-to-violence Red Shirt Leader would probably be laughing out loud at the pronouncement.

Don't be so sure. He's apparently been put in his place. If he runs off at the mouth again, it's because he knows he's been pushed off to the side. The PM is furious with this situation. Check it out.

Big bag barrier took a week to built, with enormous investment of resources,

but at the end of the day a few locals with no knowledge whatsoever are allowed to destroy it,

cheered on by their local vote buyer, while the police is looking from a distance (if they showed up at all).

The total lack of law and order is interesting to observe.

When confronting a mob, the police only do anything if ordered all the way from the top.

I except something like that tomorrow, when Yingluck wakes up

(she may get called by other vote buyers, those from the many more districts below the barrier).

By the way, my soi in Laksi is floaded 1.2 meter for 2 weeks now.

Move 1km to the West, to Pak Kret district, and things are "dry as a bone" (hate that expression),

thanks to a barrier along Klong Prapa cannal built by the local government.

Do I want to destroy it "to get the water moving"?

No, I am happy that those people and houses survived the flood.

Making them suffer as well will not reverse the damage to my property.

Same same as Berlin Wall.

Belin Wall took a week to built, with enormous investment of resources,

but at the end of the day a few locals with no knowledge whatsoever are allowed to destroy it, ....

The total lack of law and order is interesting to observe.

When confronting a mob, the police only do anything if ordered all the way from the top. ...

:blink: Are you trolling? Seriously? Comparing the BBB to the Berlin Wall?

Does not even come close. Shameless.

Im pretty sure all those for the greater good you must suffer more so we can keep dry feet would not mind paying some compensation out of their own pockets to those who are suffering extra to keep them dry....no... oh i guessed not.

I am not influenced by this big bags, but i can understand that they want it removed. If it helps them im all for it. If BKK gets 20 cm of water.. so what life goes on. But they are living without electricity in more then 1,5 meter of water.

All those people advocating for the greater good are dry. Those who are not are wet. If at least the people who are kept dry at the cost of others would pay for this pleasure im sure the residents would be less angry. Now they get 5k. I know that where i come from if a government does things to for the greater good the ones suffering get good compensation (think of forcing people to sell land for construction of a road)

It is the other way around.

Every area that is flooded and deserves help should have their allocated budget split and shared with every subsequent area flooded downstream from their actions of tearing down the walls.

It is the other way around.

Every area that is flooded and deserves help should have their allocated budget split and shared with every subsequent area flooded downstream from their actions of tearing down the walls.

I dont believe so, you could pay them to stay dry. Here there is a direct relation between the suffering and BKK staying dry. They can increase the budget and tax BKK. Its possible.

Thing is the greater good people don't want to pay or sacrifice for the greater good but expect others to do so. Kinda selfish.

As said b4 i don't benefit here, the bags have no influence on me. Thought he greater good people are all dry people who don't want to sacrifice but expect others too.

I dont believe so, you could pay them to stay dry. Here there is a direct relation between the suffering and BKK staying dry. They can increase the budget and tax BKK. Its possible.

Thing is the greater good people don't want to pay or sacrifice for the greater good but expect others to do so. Kinda selfish.

As said b4 i don't benefit here, the bags have no influence on me. Thought he greater good people are all dry people who don't want to sacrifice but expect others too.

If 'your' selfish actions leads to many more people, often many times more than live in 'your' area, suffering then it is appropriate that 'you' experience the cost of it. The governments budget is finite and every additional person needing help will dilute the amount 'your' area can get, monetarily or relief goods.

The rights and wrongs are not for me but opening the sandbags has an impact on other people

But keeping that has an impact to others (who already got too much, ans still getting daily)

who should have.a chance to prepare.

4 months passed now for the whole soap water opera.

1 month for those on the wet side. Include me.

If they not prepared YET - then they deserve this. Im sorry, but ANYTHING to move this wet shit from my house!!! :annoyed:

They are STILL not prepared...how pathetic. Im going to cry to the cameras.

FYI, those on dry areas not preparing at all - they are playing LoiKratong for example. They simply don't care this all.

Take a glass, start drinking the water away.

If you have no compassion for others, you deserve none yourself.

+100

If 'your' selfish actions leads to many more people, often many times more than live in 'your' area, suffering then it is appropriate that 'you' experience the cost of it. The governments budget is finite and every additional person needing help will dilute the amount 'your' area can get, monetarily or relief goods.

Problem starts with a government an other (like you) dont want to compensate the ones suffering for you with a realistic amount. After that they can only take the law int heir own hand.

Please don't turn it around. No alternatives are given. They are told to suffer for others with no reward or normal compensation.

The dry people expect to stay dry at no cost or suffering of themselves. Sounds selfish. To be honest if i had 1,5 meters of more and by breaking a dam id give someone 20 cm. I would not worry about it too much as 20 cm is liveable. Minor inconvenience. 1,5 meters is a totally different story with black stagnant diseased water.

As long as the water flows you don't have that problem.

I wonder if those now calling to break the barriers to their South were also calling to break the barriers to their North before they were flooded. I mean, the point is letting the water flow as freely as possible, no?

I wasn't calling at all at that time because i had no idea what was coming thanks to the government. But yes barriers that cause others to flood longer should have been torn down.

Its just totally unfair to sacrifice people without real compensation.

Id say live a week in a really flooded area (1,5m) and then come back and post on the forum.

I am one of the "lucky" ones, had only 70 cm in my streets and 20 in the house.

I may have it wrong, but didn't other, who teared down walls already found out? As long as there is water further up north, opening any gate will help you one bit. "Your" water will flow through that hole and "their" water will fill the "gap". But now, you have another 2000 people in the same miserable conditions. Great work!

And since when is it ok, to turn into a "lynch mob", because you are in misery?

I may have it wrong, but didn't other, who teared down walls already found out? As long as there is water further up north, opening any gate will help you one bit. "Your" water will flow through that hole and "their" water will fill the "gap". But now, you have another 2000 people in the same miserable conditions. Great work!

And since when is it ok, to turn into a "lynch mob", because you are in misery?

Then your still helping other people Doc, water does not magically appear from notting it comes from somewhere. In the end people are helped. Also water levels will be lower all around without that barrier. Plus the water is not stagnant and disease ridden because it flows.

Also dr Seri is of the opinion that this big bag removal wont threaten the inner parts of BKK.

But if they just offered these people real support and compensation (not a mere 5k) then im sure they would have done if for the greater good.

The greater good has to come from two sides, not one side taking it up the..... while the other enjoys the rewards from it.

Flooding all the 12 million people will not significantly reduce the water depth of the poor urual farmers?

Didn't they watch the Whale cartoon created by Bangkokian?

It is simple enough that even my children (from Bangkok) understand it, why can't they?

...or these morons breaking down water barriers ...

Those 'morons' have had several weeks now living in meters of brackish disgusting water. Yingluck proclaiming victory that Bangkok stayed dry infuriated them.

Most people that are posting for the greater good have no idea what it is to be flooded. They post from their dry houses and condo's. They tell others to suffer for them without offering them compensation.

The greater good according to them is let others suffer for them and offer them a pittance to do so. If they really want to stay dry let them offer real compensation. The people over there clearly suffer extra to keep BKK dry. There is a direct relation between the two.

The people advocating to do what is best for the country and for the greater good. They are always talking how much money will be lost if BKK is flooded. How an enormous impact it will have. Then why offer those people who are flooded to safe it just a pittance of money ?

Sounds rather selfish to me. This case perfectly shows why people are angry. They have higher water levels and black stagnant disease ridden water because the flow is blocked. With this BKK is saved and they have to put up with it. Are they offered any more compensation because of this no.

So its seems the greater good is a one sided story. I also guess that most people who post have not been flooded and have no idea what it is to live in situations like that.

A little water wont hurt you guys. But levels like those over there are not liveable. They are created to keep you guys dry.

I have lived with 20 cm in the house, 70 in the streets, not nice but liveable. There they have 1,5 meters a bit of respect for those people would be in place.

Have they done this already? Anything to get the water out of my area, great!

Yeah Lets share the Pain, and destroy more lives and properties

Noooo. Let's someone keep getting your fate just to keep your arse comfortable dry - and without the chance of ANY compensation...this is what you saying.

Ok, I;ll hold your part of water. Will you come after, and repair my house from your own pocket money? What? No?

The chat is over then.

I knew that your crying was all about your money! What good will it do for you, to flood and damage as many homes as possible? Keep the water where it is and pump it out! No need to destroy the whole country, because you think it´s not fair that you have become flooded! Grow up for God´s sake.

Have they done this already? Anything to get the water out of my area, great!

Yeah Lets share the Pain, and destroy more lives and properties

Noooo. Let's someone keep getting your fate just to keep your arse comfortable dry - and without the chance of ANY compensation...this is what you saying.

Ok, I;ll hold your part of water. Will you come after, and repair my house from your own pocket money? What? No?

The chat is over then.

I knew that your crying was all about your money! What good will it do for you, to flood and damage as many homes as possible? Keep the water where it is and pump it out! No need to destroy the whole country, because you think it´s not fair that you have become flooded! Grow up for God´s sake.

First question I would like to ask you, are you flooded at the moment? Here in Don Muang we have had three and half feet of stinking filthy water in the soi, which has now gone down to about 2 and a half feet, for over three weeks. Inside the house which is slightly sloped there has been about a foot of water. There are things that have been destroyed in my house that I will have to replace at my own expense. I have lost money because I have not been able to get to work, the only means of transport here is by boat. Even an acknowledged water expert Dr.Seri has stated that the removal of the big bags will not have a substantial impact on inner Bangkok. So I suggest you wise up and 'Grow Up'!

Bkk gov concerned abt safety of big bags, asks police to help ensure public don't destroy, could face 3mnths jail/6k fine. /TANN

Hopefully Karun will be spending a few months in jail. Not likely though. :angry:

If his mouth hadn't been busted up, the prone-to-violence Red Shirt Leader would probably be laughing out loud at the pronouncement.

Don't be so sure. He's apparently been put in his place. If he runs off at the mouth again, it's because he knows he's been pushed off to the side. The PM is furious with this situation. Check it out.

You are correct - she did put him in his place.

This is a good thing, but Karun is only a light weight in more ways, than his diminutive stature.

Still, Yingluck needs to start somewhere - even if it is an easy target.

As (flooded) Don Muang residents we are well aware of how he operates.

Whipping up local fervor is his style.

This was all well and good when the red shirts needed people.

But, this is not that sort of time.

Bangkok Governor inspects Don Mueang site where 'Big Bag' barrier was dismantled

image_20111114104404A02CB42B-B9B9-7C07-E31A31BC1F2191A1.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 14 -- Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra on Monday will inspect the location at Don Mueang where the government’s 'Big Bag' flood barrier was dismantled by angry residents affected by surging floodwater due to the flood-prevention dyke implemented to slow the deluge from overflowing into inner Bangkok.

The governor said that he has informed the Metropolitan Police Bureau to provide security protection to Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) workers who will repair the damaged 'Big Bag' barrier this morning and he will inspect the scene himself.

Mr Sukhumphand said he received a letter by facsimile from Flood Prevention Operations Centre (FROC) director Pracha Promnog at 10.13pm ordering the BMA to stop angry residents from pulling down the barrier.

The six-kilometre temporary flood control dyke built of 1-2 tonne sandbags is designed to curb the inflow of floodwater from the north from inundating inner Bangkok.

The governor said the FROC should have made verbal contact instead of sending a letter at night because the issue is important and needed consultation among senior officials.

He will comply with the FROC order, Mr Sukhumbhand said, but if the task was far beyond the ability of the BMA alone. He said that City Hall would ask for cooperation from FROC.

Don Mueang district chief Phumpat Damrongkiatisak said the dismantling of the Big Bag barrier caused water to overflow into the Don Mueang area again, but the water has spread quickly over a wide area so that it could not be clearly measured how much the water surged.

He said police and air force personnel were deployed at the location where the 'Big Bag' was dismantled for 10 metres.

There was no significant water surging after the 'Big Bag' was partially dismantled.

Khlong Bang Sue, which received floodwater from Don Mueang and Ratchadapisek Road has fallen 1-2 cm, but floodwater still envelops Panjasap School.

Water flooding outbound Vibhavadi Ransit Road, heading to Ha Yak Lat Phrao intersection, is dropping because it is being pumped into Khlong Bang Sue.

Meanwhile, flood in western Bangkok is still critical, particularly at Bang Khun Thian district where some areas are covered by 15-60cm of water.

Many residents decided to evacuate their homes to stay at shelters.

On Rama II Road’s Soi 69, water in some sections reached one-metre deep and 20cm deep on the road. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-11-14

The people advocating to do what is best for the country and for the greater good. They are always talking how much money will be lost if BKK is flooded. How an enormous impact it will have. Then why offer those people who are flooded to safe it just a pittance of money ?

Sounds rather selfish to me. This case perfectly shows why people are angry. They have higher water levels and black stagnant disease ridden water because the flow is blocked. With this BKK is saved and they have to put up with it. Are they offered any more compensation because of this no.

So its seems the greater good is a one sided story. I also guess that most people who post have not been flooded and have no idea what it is to live in situations like that.

A little water wont hurt you guys. But levels like those over there are not liveable. They are created to keep you guys dry.

I have lived with 20 cm in the house, 70 in the streets, not nice but liveable. There they have 1,5 meters a bit of respect for those people would be in place.

Maybe if more areas were flooded, there would only be enough money to compensate everyone half as much.

For God's sake just let it flow. Inner Bangkok businesses and so many homes are so well protected. There's no business going on right now. Let the wretched water come, give everyone damp feet for a few days and hopefully this episode will be over and done with, rehabilitation can start and a degree of normality will return to the capital.

Klong San Saeb downtown is still very low.....at least 1.2m to the lip.

With all the uncertainty, it's frightening people off from coming here. At least, if it comes, we know it'll be short lived given there have been no more rains in the north. And more to the point, give the poor guys who have been under water for so long some relief.

And this silly kindergarden language they use - they should have called, and not faxed. Give me strength!!

Edited by BKKBrit

Check what out? Has he been removed from office? Publicly denounced? If it's the latter, is it supposed to have an impact on him?

Karun has a life-long history of violence. He's never been properly dealt with by anyone he is associated with.

Whether it's physically lashing out at his wife or fellow MP's or recklessly capsizing small boats with his speeding jet ski, he's never faced the music for his actions.

He was being impeached in the last House meeting before the election. Subsequent to that, he's been jailed (and duly bailed) on a myriad of charges as a Red Shirt Leader.

Is there info on what Yingluck did/say as I've not seen what you allude to?

Maybe if more areas were flooded, there would only be enough money to compensate everyone half as much.

Excellent reply whybother