Sandwich Permit

expatmakmak

Last week my son was offered a sandwich to buy at the school where he teaches. Apparently this sandwich was prepared by another farrang teacher at a different school altogether. Is this a breach of work permit and would my son be putting himself in danger by accepting this sandwich?

After having numerous work permits and visas over the years, I'd say I'm pretty experienced with such things. However this one has even me stumped. I would assume this sandwich preparing 'ajan' was given the workpermit in good faith assuming he would be using it for teaching and not other kanom based sidelines.

The sandwich in question was in fact a baguette kai and the asking price was 75 baht. I can see the appeal myself, and many of my son's expat friends and colleges have ordered sandwiches from this chap. However, I'm glad my son had the good sense to come to consult me before falling into the same trap.

Making food and selling it - sure it's a breach of a work permit.

My criteria would be, was it delicious....if so buy another.

I'm not sure immigration are such busterds that they would clamp down on a school kid buying a sandwich.

Thanks for the honest answer Uptheos. My son has not yet bought the sandwich as I said I would look into it first. The preparer of these blackmarket sandwiches is a farrang teacher not a student, hence the concern. With all the recent flurry involving locking up musicians we can't be too careful.

I'm not sure immigration are such busterds that they would clamp down on a school kid buying a sandwich.

Thanks for the honest answer Uptheos. My son has not yet bought the sandwich as I said I would look into it first. The preparer of these blackmarket sandwiches is a farrang teacher not a student, hence the concern. With all the recent flurry involving locking up musicians we can't be too careful.

Not sure they locked up the musicians, they certainly did not lock up the audience that were listening to them, so why would someone buying a sandwich be in any bother?

• Like 2

Not sure they locked up the musicians, they certainly did not lock up the audience that were listening to them, so why would someone buying a sandwich be in any bother?

I bet there's more than school sandwich makers that are preparing food without a work permit........actually, I think making food and serving it is a banned occupation for farang's under Thai law.....isn't it?

To be quite honest, I can't think of one meal I've ever bought, where the legality of the farang owner, preparer or server has ever bothered me....I just order, eat and pay the bill.

Edited by uptheos

I bet there's more than school sandwich makers that are preparing food without a work permit........actually, I think making food and serving it is a banned occupation for farang's under Thai law.....isn't it?

To be quite honest, I can't think of one meal I've ever bought, where the legality of the farang owner, preparer or server has ever bothered me

Making food is not a restricted occupation, selling it is.

As not CM-related I move this topic to the pub section.

To be quite honest, I can't think of one meal I've ever bought, where the legality of the farang owner, preparer or server has ever bothered me

As not CM-related I move this topic to the pub section.

<deleted>? Moving it to a forum for Visa and WP issues I can understand, but pub and fun???

Also, crucially, being a restricted occupation is completely beside the issue; a work permit is needed for working in any occupation in any place. Especially if it's a commercial venture, which this clearly is.

Can we please move back, or to an appropriate forum? I thought this was a serious website..

• Like 1

but then:

under my job description I would be allowed to make and sell sandwiched at school.

So now I am officially confused. ;)

(I'll keep checking on this topic until it drops off the CM forum list, then I'll forget about it most likely, along with everyone else. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I would advise your son avoiding all contact with the sandwich, so much as smelling it may cause his work permit to be revoked.

Plus you can catch all sorts of heebie jeebies from sandwich fillers. A line from a certain song tells it like it is....

"You shoulda put a sock on the pickle, and your ***** wouldn't be blowin' smoke signals"

Is this really even a concern? Buying a sandwich from a teacher?

Some of you are wayyyy to paranoid.

Does seem very paranoid. As someone else mentioned the musicians got into trouble not the audience. No idea why this was moved to the pub? It might help if we knew if the school and people involved are based in Chiang Mai?

Doesn't hurt to be wary. Remember we are guests in this country! Could someone please remove this from the pub? Mai kow jai why it ended up here in the first place. The school and all involved are based in Chiang Mai as is the sandwich, for that matter. I didn't want to name the school as wouldn't want to make any problems for anyone. Neither am I trying to steal business from him as canuckamuck implied.

Edited by expatmakmak

Doesn't hurt to be wary. Remember we are guests in this country! Could someone please remove this from the pub? Mai kow jai why it ended up here in the first place. The school and all involved are based in Chiang Mai as is the sandwich, for that matter. I didn't want to name the school as wouldn't want to make any problems for anyone. Neither am I trying to steal business from him as canuckamuck implied.

Really? that's what you thought I said?

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1

u t .

re ... was it delicious.

it was : )

just joshin ...dave2

Is there a subliminal (?) message with what is on the left hand computer screen and the right hand computer screen with the "bun" in the foreground. Have a closer look.

• 6 months later...

Funny I should stumble across this, as just last week I was offered a baguette where I teach in Chiang Mai. I asked for a menu and they muttered something about paper trails. I thought the guy was just joking, but then come to think of it he was a little sheepish about the whole thing.

Has anyone tried any of his products? Are his black market baguettes worth the risk?

• Like 1

I think this is worthy of further investigation, we should ask this teacher to bring along a large selection of his baguettes to the next Thaivisa Chiang Mai Party, and we can inspect his efforts, cosume, then pass judgement as to his possible criminality.

After all there is no one better at passing judgement than Thaivisa members coffee1.gif

• Like 1