Water Situation Stabilising In Bangkok, Except For Some Areas Seeing Flood Surge

webfact

Water situation stabilising in Bangkok, except for some areas seeing flood surge

image_20111115105938A56152DA-C060-4C06-C5C0EDE33C56FF65.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 15 -- The flood situation in Bangkok is now relatively stable but some areas are seeing surges.

The level of Khlong Bang Sue has slightly dropped, and the Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC) and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) agreed to open a gap at the 'Big Bag' barrier at Don Mueang.

Water reportedly flowed in from the Phahonyothin Road drainage system and is heading to Saphan Khwai; Lat Phrao five-way intersection has water rise by 5-10 cm, but small vehicles can still use the road.

The water level at Khlong Bang Sue is declining slightly as the pumping station at Vibhavadi Rangsit is working round the clock to drain the roads.

On Ratchadapisek Road, water remains at Panjasap School, but significantly subsided, allowing small vehicles to pass.

In related developments, FROC Director Pracha Promnog and Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra in joint press conference after meeting Monday said they agreed to cooperate to tackle the flood crisis in the capital.

Topping their agenda was the 'Big Bag' barrier which Don Mueang residents demanded to partially open to allow floodwater to be drained as the temporary flood control dyke caused deep flooding at their homes.

The residents dismantled part of the 'Big Bag' barrier and earlier threatened to block the Don Mueang Tollway if the government did not bow to their demand.

However, after the one hour discussion, Mr Sukhumphand told the press conference that the damaged 'Big Bag' barrier would not be repaired but instead be widened into a 10-metre opening.

The gap would be adjusted as a spillway to let water overflow to reduce the water level behind the barrier and act as a gateway for the resident's boats.

Pol Gen Pracha said that he believed the water overflowing from the gap would not have significant impact on water level either behind the wall and or in inner Bangkok.

He also promised the take a good care of the people affected by the 'Big Bag' barrier, particularly food distribution and garbage collecting.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Monday visited Sing Buri which was under post-flood rehabilitation plan.

She told the public that the flood crisis this year is a nightmare, but the government would do its best to prevent a repetition of the crisis. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-11-15

"In related developments, FROC Director Pracha Promnog and Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra in joint press conference after meeting Monday said they agreed to cooperate to tackle the flood crisis in the capital".

Well, now that that's settled. annoyed.gif

<br />So Inner BKK particularly Sukhumvit Road is NOT? going to flood now?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I am sure every one under water and living in shelters mis glad to hear that.

I liked

"She told the public that the flood crisis this year is a nightmare, but the government would do its best to prevent a repetition of the crisis. (MCOT online news)"

Wonder where she will get the money and time to do that.

What with the flood gone they will be spending time getting her brother here and the money they are going to spend on their election promises won't leave mush for preventive measures.

_ "Pol Gen Pracha said that he believed the water overflowing from the gap would not have significant impact on water level either behind the wall and or in inner Bangkok.

He also promised the take a good care of the people affected by the 'Big Bag' barrier, particularly food distribution and garbage collecting."_

I see the Police General is now an expert in water flow management, and that 'He' will 'start' to take care of the people affected by the barrier.

What about all the rest? Where have the police been since this began, apart from getting cars ship-wrecked?

Makes me laugh! NOT!!

-m.

Can someone please explain the huge 250 miles (400 Km) of water that is sitting above Bangkok (on the Google Flood Map):

Click here for Google Flood Map

(its a bit slow to load)

or is the Google Flood Map of Thailand not correct?

do you know if they actually DELETE the water that has receded?

from looking at the Google Flood map (link above) it still looks like this flooding is nowhere near over. it looks like its just about to start!!

- so, please can somebody shed some light on this.

Edited by easybullet3

rmc0121l.jpg

There is always a calm before a storm, and as has been said" there is still a vast amount of water waiting to move." Whilst it may not be seen to be moving it would indeed be very interesting to know what is going on under the ground . Remember icebergs show about 10% of their mass to the naked eye the unseen quantity is the dangerous quantity.

This flooding situation is not yet over nor will it be for some time to come, this is not the time to relax ones guard and forget the lessons learned so far,.

There is of course the chance that the flood map may be outdated, we can but live in hope. However I for one am not holding my breath as I reckon there is still another two or three weeks to go before the flooding lessens its impact on our lives.

Edited by siampolee

easybullet3, Thanks for the link! Finally a map that shows the areas affected and not just a bunch of points scattered around a map. Good find. I hope it's current, but even if it's not it was a great link.

Does anyone have a link that highlights flooded and impassible roads as opposed to a few random points on some of the roads?

Can someone please explain the huge 250 miles (400 Km) of water that is sitting above Bangkok (on the Google Flood Map):

(its a bit slow to load)

from looking at the Google Flood map (link above) it still looks like this flooding is nowhere near over. it looks like its just about to start!!

Flew in over the north this morning. Water as far as the eye could see. Like an inland ocean. Certainly no where near over yet.

What do you mean it's not over? It's over for this government and that was why so many blunders happened because they failed to get the facts straight in this flood from the very beginning.

I hope they will be proved wrong again and then go scrambling for excuses for the gazillion-th time! And of course, people are the sacrificial lambs for their incompetency.

(its a bit slow to load)

Flew in over the north this morning. Water as far as the eye could see. Like an inland ocean. Certainly no where near over yet.

THANK YOU very much for your extremely useful and valuable input.

So the WATER WEAPON still has plenty of ammunition and remains fully loaded.

God help me! My last name is not Shinawatra and I am not a made-man in the gang. I am SCREWED! Run for cover!

Or I should say BUY BOATS!

Cmon, Thailand.

Haven't you had enough???

That map is not accurate today and never was it seems as shows my area flooded and it has not been flooded at all. As for flying over water that would be the case this time of the year almost any year - but how deep that water is can not be judged from the air or space. Most of the moving water has indeed already been drained from all reports I have seen (at least that I can reasonably believe) and this can be confirmed by the roads again being above the surface and trees above the water line even in the fields and both canals and river level going down daily. Most water now needs normal canal draining into the rivers and out to sea but that will take time and some will remain trapped for some period to come (as it always does). But the new flooding itself is just about past except on the coast. It was not a good year - it was a very bad year - but it is now the recovery period for most.

(its a bit slow to load)

God help me! My last name is not Shinawatra and I am not a made-man in the gang. I am SCREWED! Run for cover!

Cmon, Thailand.

And today "20 Pheu Thai MPs to propose urgent agenda to Parliament to conduct study on moving capital to Nakhon Nayok, Petchabun or other provinces /TANN"

You know what moving the capitol means for some superstitious people?

(If not PM me, as I can't post it)

(its a bit slow to load)

Cmon, Thailand.

And today "20 Pheu Thai MPs to propose urgent agenda to Parliament to conduct study on moving capital to Nakhon Nayok, Petchabun or other provinces /TANN"

You know what moving the capitol means for some superstitious people?

(If not PM me, as I can't post it)

Be careful of the 15 years jail.

So Inner BKK particularly Sukhumvit Road is NOT? going to flood now?

I love these conflicting reports. I just read the otherreport that PM says the flood will continue through next year and we arewaiting for the next wave of flood from North.

I guess not enough money has been made from this desisted, so the governmentwants it to go one for a bit longer

(its a bit slow to load)

The things we don't know are -

1. How deep is that water?

2. Is that water in fields where it will be slow to get out?

3. The closer it gets to Bkk the slower it moves due to the flatness of the land.

I'm out at Klong 10 at Nong Sua on the Nakhon Nayok Rd & the water level has gone down 40cm the past week. If a large volume is still coming like the last one, all it did was fill up the fields between Wang Noi & Nong Khae.

(its a bit slow to load)

The things we don't know are -

1. How deep is that water?

2. Is that water in fields where it will be slow to get out?

3. The closer it gets to Bkk the slower it moves due to the flatness of the land.

I'm out at Klong 10 at Nong Sua on the Nakhon Nayok Rd & the water level has gone down 40cm the past week. If a large volume is still coming like the last one, all it did was fill up the fields between Wang Noi & Nong Khae.

I am also a bit more north of BKK flooded for 3 weeks but the water has been dropping and dropping. Just 2cm a day but still. I think if there was still a lot to come it would be here already. Still water is coming in but i think it drains faster.

However the water is still moving through BKK. It wont go fast and it wont stop. After you see water at the same level for a week or so and then dropping you know it has passed you.

Why do all of these articles continually refer only to BKK?

Why isn't there an article "Water stabilised for 5 weeks in Bang Pun, Phatumtani, at 2m. No drop in levels in the near future. Your homes still full of crappy black water. No recompense, as your live outside of the BKK BMA certificate of qualification area. Enjoy"

Let's all concentrate continually on those who have had a meagre 50cm, shall we. How sad.

I'm getting irate, but know it will get me nowhere.

-m. :angry:

"In related developments, FROC Director Pracha Promnog and Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra in joint press conference after meeting Monday said they agreed to cooperate to tackle the flood crisis in the capital."

Well - That was about time they start to cooperate about the flood crisis!

Why isn't there an article "Water stabilised for 5 weeks in Bang Pun, Phatumtani, at 2m. No drop in levels in the near future. Your homes still full of crappy black water. No recompense, as your live outside of the BKK BMA certificate of qualification area. Enjoy"

Let's all concentrate continually on those who have had a meagre 50cm, shall we. How sad.

Maybe the Shinawatras have no properties there?

Maybe the Shinawatras have no properties there?

Lol.;)

You gave me a smile. KKK.

-M.