The Sad Life Of Thai Expat Jim Thompson

BigFishEatLittleFish

A rather sad review of Jim Thompson's life. At one point it was a "must see" stop on the tourist itinerary--today I'm not so sure.

http://www.economist.com/node/21538093

Jim Thompson

Boat against the current

The disillusionment of a man of charm

Nov 12th 2011 | from the print edition

The Ideal Man: The Tragedy of Jim Thompson and the American Way of War. By Joshua Kurlantzick. Wiley; 253 pages; $25.95 and £17.99. Buy from Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk

HE WAS the Jay Gatsby of Bangkok: rich, charming, glamorous and endlessly hospitable, but with something mysterious in his background. The mystery only deepened with his death. On Easter Sunday in 1967 Jim Thompson left the cottage where he was on holiday in the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia, apparently for an afternoon walk. He vanished. Despite a huge conventional search operation (followed by more exotic efforts involving psychics and a Gurkha parachuted into Cambodia), no trace was ever found of him. A library's-worth of conspiracy theories has never explained his disappearance.

Edited by metisdead
Edited for fair use.

The book fails, though, to explain why Thompson was so fascinating. It tells of his talents, knowledge, contacts, wit and urbanity, but it does not convince. He remains an elusive, insubstantial figure, if a very sad one, summed up by a journalist who knew him: “At the end, these foreigners realise they have no home.”

The book fails, though, to explain why Thompson was so fascinating. It tells of his talents, knowledge, contacts, wit and urbanity, but it does not convince. He remains an elusive, insubstantial figure, if a very sad one, summed up by a journalist who knew him: "At the end, these foreigners realise they have no home."

“At the end, these foreigners realise they have no home.”

That is a cracking quote, many ex-pats would do well to remember that. I recently spoke to a guy who had lived and worked in Spain for 38 years, since the age of 17, he took ill and was being treated by the Spanish health service. He turned up at the hospital one day and was told that as he was not Spanish he had to go back to the UK for treatment. He protested to the Hospital director and his protest was dismissed.

He duly arrived back in the UK and put his hand out for all the benefits available here, housing, income support etc, and of course free treatment on the NHS. I've came across three examples of people returning to the UK this year, two due to financial problems overseas and one well off lady that realized she was alone in Canada aged 78, after her husband passed away.

Be careful of breaking all your roots with your home country as fate has a weird way of spinning your plans around.

The book fails, though, to explain why Thompson was so fascinating. It tells of his talents, knowledge, contacts, wit and urbanity, but it does not convince. He remains an elusive, insubstantial figure, if a very sad one, summed up by a journalist who knew him: “At the end, these foreigners realise they have no home.”

A spy and a rumored homosexual, attributed to inspiring characters for Somerset Maugham novels and you ask why so fascinating?

Edited by Jingthing

If you donot have yourself sorted out (mentally) I would say you could wake up someday feeling alone. But it is like most things where is your head at. This year when I came to Thailand I told my daughter if anything happens, I will be barbequed in Thailand and not to worry about it. Also if you and your brother can make it for the grilling thats cool but donot knock yourself out, I love you guys no matter what. Feeling lonely is a function of thinking and nothing else.

And Jim Thompson not exciting come on guys what story did you hear and how does your life stack up. hehehe that would be a good comparsion.

The book fails, though, to explain why Thompson was so fascinating. It tells of his talents, knowledge, contacts, wit and urbanity, but it does not convince. He remains an elusive, insubstantial figure, if a very sad one, summed up by a journalist who knew him: "At the end, these foreigners realise they have no home."

"At the end, these foreigners realise they have no home."

That is a cracking quote, many ex-pats would do well to remember that. I recently spoke to a guy who had lived and worked in Spain for 38 years, since the age of 17, he took ill and was being treated by the Spanish health service. He turned up at the hospital one day and was told that as he was not Spanish he had to go back to the UK for treatment. He protested to the Hospital director and his protest was dismissed.

He duly arrived back in the UK and put his hand out for all the benefits available here, housing, income support etc, and of course free treatment on the NHS. I've came across three examples of people returning to the UK this year, two due to financial problems overseas and one well off lady that realized she was alone in Canada aged 78, after her husband passed away.

Be careful of breaking all your roots with your home country as fate has a weird way of spinning your plans around.

Yes very true.

And it would also be sensible,not to join the TV "Go Home Brigade" as one day there may be a need to go home,in spite of their hatred of their home Country!

After all you wouldn't want to be Hypocrite,would you ? :closedeyes:

The few men I've met old enough to have known him at first or second hand confirm the gay rumour, as do most photographs I've seen of him and any other Thai men around his home.

There was one rather urbane theory about his death which involved a simple hit-and-run coverup by a lorry.

A colourful character, anyway. And home is where you make it, though nationality helps.

He was a very interesting character, something like someone in one of Maugham's stories. A gilded, but gifted young man, he joined OSS and found himself in Siam at the end of the war. When he landed in Bangkok the Japanese had surrendered, but the troops had still not been disarmed and were carrying their weapons. It must have been a little unnerving.

Thompson's fellow OSS colleague founded the Bangkok Post, while Thompson as we know became involved in silk. He built a beautiful house, which is still a pleasure to visit, and filled it with works of art. He entertained generously. His death is perhaps the best known of Asia's postwar mysteries involving a Westerner.

I've often taken visitors to the house on the klong (Saensaeb), and there are always plenty of people there - not crowds, but enough.

That sounds like it could be a very good read.

Thanks for pointing it out

Penkoprod

A very good read? Why would anyone care about some Yank that vanished in Malaysia 44 years ago??

hotandhumid

Jim Thompson was instrumental in reviving the Thai silk trade. When the Chinese started making machine-made silk over a hundred years ago, the Thai silk industry almost disappeared. Only a few Muslim villages around the nation kept going at it as a small cottage industry (most Thais felt that killing the silkworms to get the silk was not a good thing, so what little silk weaving left was mostly done by Muslims.)

After the war, Thompson decided to try and get into the silk business and founded his company in 1948. He recruited the Muslim silk makers and was able to get customers to buy the silk. After the movie "The King and I" used his silk for the movie costumes, his company grew by leaps and bounds, and once again, gathering and weaving silk became acceptable occupations.

A very good read? Why would anyone care about some Yank that vanished in Malaysia 44 years ago??

Why can't they write a book about something important, like the first farang to make meat pies in Bangkok or import Vegemite to Thailand?

1067764-Clipart-Angry-Skinhead-Man-Yelling-And-Pointing-Royalty-Free-Vector-Illustration.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.

Pretty sure he didn't inspire Maugham as his writing days were pretty much over by the time Thompson's exploits in WWII became known. Maugham's Ashendon spy stories were based on his WWI spy service.

As for the house, Judging from attendence last two times I was there it is as popular as ever. It is a nice site even without the connection to Thompson.

Edited by qualtrough

He was a very interesting character, something like someone in one of Maugham's stories. A gilded, but gifted young man, he joined OSS and found himself in Siam at the end of the war. When he landed in Bangkok the Japanese had surrendered, but the troops had still not been disarmed and were carrying their weapons. It must have been a little unnerving.

Thompson's fellow OSS colleague founded the Bangkok Post, while Thompson as we know became involved in silk. He built a beautiful house, which is still a pleasure to visit, and filled it with works of art. He entertained generously. His death is perhaps the best known of Asia's postwar mysteries involving a Westerner.

I've often taken visitors to the house on the klong (Saensaeb), and there are always plenty of people there - not crowds, but enough.

Yes! One of the most interesting sites in BKK--for the thinking person.

The few men I've met old enough to have known him at first or second hand confirm the gay rumour, as do most photographs I've seen of him and any other Thai men around his home.

There was one rather urbane theory about his death which involved a simple hit-and-run coverup by a lorry.

A colourful character, anyway. And home is where you make it, though nationality helps.

The 'gay' topic is totally irrelevant, as almost always it is.

More research would show you that the man actually owed huge amounts of money all over Bkk, and his irascible nature had alienated most of his close friends in the world of the 'secret squirrels'.

The 'missing man' and the secretive stuff is great marketing hype for the business. Nothing more. He was 'disappeared' by professionals, just like D.H.Lawrence in England and countless others before and since.

If people like silk, great. If not, ignore the whole 'faction.'

The 'gay' topic is totally irrelevant, as almost always it is.

How do you quantify almost always?

It's generally not irrelevant when talking about celebrities.

Don't we know more about the real Rock Hudson knowing he was gay?

Proust? J. Edgar Hoover (which is still a mystery)?

Many expats here crack me up. I talked to guy today who read this posting and he said he also thought Thompson had very sad life and also not a very interesting one. This would be okay except the guy who said this does the exact same thing every day. he goes to the same coffeeshop in morning and eats same thing for breakfast. Then he goes home and talks to the same people back home on skype. Then he goes to the same restaurant and eats lunch. Then he goes home again and watches tv. Then he goes to Tesco and eats dinner which is also the same thing every day. Once a week as a big adventure he travels crosstown to eat lunch at same place again. He is not gay as far as I know but has no girlfriend (or boyfriend) but he hates all sports but likes the opera so who knows. Anyway my point is this guy thinks Jim Thompson is uninteresting, and I wonder how many other similarly fascinating blokes here think the same thing.

Many expats here crack me up. I talked to guy today who read this posting and he said he also thought Thompson had very sad life and also not a very interesting one. This would be okay except the guy who said this does the exact same thing every day. he goes to the same coffeeshop in morning and eats same thing for breakfast. Then he goes home and talks to the same people back home on skype. Then he goes to the same restaurant and eats lunch. Then he goes home again and watches tv. Then he goes to Tesco and eats dinner which is also the same thing every day. Once a week as a big adventure he travels crosstown to eat lunch at same place again. He is not gay as far as I know but has no girlfriend (or boyfriend) but he hates all sports but likes the opera so who knows. Anyway my point is this guy thinks Jim Thompson is uninteresting, and I wonder how many other similarly fascinating blokes here think the same thing.

Good reply.

Reminds me of an Australian trait known as "The Tall Poppy Syndrome", whereby anyone who stands above the crowd and appears the least bit different, successful, interesting etc, etc, will soon find he or she has been cut down by the media so they blend in with the rest of the dimwitted population.

As an aside, I also find (some) opera fascinating with melodies that can bring tears of joy - especially Puccini or Verdi. No, it's not required to be gay to enjoy opera.

Good reply.

Reminds me of an Australian trait known as "The Tall Poppy Syndrome", whereby anyone who stands above the crowd and appears the least bit different, successful, interesting etc, etc, will soon find he or she has been cut down by the media so they blend in with the rest of the dimwitted population.

As an aside, I also find (some) opera fascinating with melodies that can bring tears of joy - especially Puccini or Verdi. No, it's not required to be gay to enjoy opera.

Yep, looks like the sad old tall poppy does not find Jim Thompson interesting....