NACC Investigates Transport Min's Permanent Secretary's Assets After Being Robbed of Bt200 Million

webfact

It's all over nothing to see here folks. Police have now said it was only about a mill plus some jewelry (told you that 200 mill would disappear).

Mind you his house in Soi Lat Phrao 64 looks quite nice. It just shows what you can get by being frugal with your modest civil servants pay.

PS: Love the name of one of the robbers: Singthong - Karaoke with a lisp!

why was he removed from his position and the other one who admitted to have blocked the run-off is still in office?

Singthong was arrested at his Bangkok home with Bt500,000 in cash and two gold necklaces worth around Bt260,000, and Saokaew was arrested at his Chiang Rai home with more than Bt2.8 million in cash.

Compared to you figure of one million.

Then there are a few more on the run.

People like these thieves never tell the truth , they rather bury the big stack and pick it up after their term's finished. This is probably hot money and therefore not missing officially.

And Politicians? We all know.

This department is famous for corruption. Before roads are built they go there and buy the land very cheap and later sell it to the govt for an inflated price.

This is a typical twist with gangs who work on contracts like this. Confusing interrogations and

Speaking to the media yesterday on their way to a court hearing, Singthong Jaichomchuen, 44, and Saokaew Namwong, 59, appeared to have changed their stories, saying they never saw any money, only boxes with unknown contents. They were silent when asked about their previous statement to police that they and four other suspected burglars took Bt200 million and shared it among themselves before fleeing.

Interesting to see what happens when the others are caught, and unless they join Arisaman in a foreign country.

Edited by elcent

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CORRUPTION CHARGE

Top transport official moved, faces probes

Piyanuch Thamnukasetchai

Watcharapong Thongrung

Somroutai Sapsomboon

30170189-01_big.jpg

Permanent secretary denies huge amount of cash stored in house targeted by burglars

Following last week's break-in at his Bangkok home, for which four suspects are now in custody, Transport Ministry permanent secretary Suphoth Sublom was yesterday transferred to an inactive post with immediate effect, and is now the subject of probes by the National Anti-Corruption Commission and the Anti-Money Laundering Office, Deputy Prime Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit told The Nation last night.

Pol Lt-General Winai Thongsong said yesterday that two unidentified suspects had been arrested with Bt9 million in cash in their possession, joining two men who were arrested earlier in the week.

When news broke of the incident last week, it sounded like a typical heist. But the plot has thickened dramatically into a full-blown conspiracy theory with the first two suspects to be arrested having gone quiet after an announcement by police on Thursday evening that the men told them there was about Bt1 billion in cash kept in the house.

Speaking to the media yesterday on their way to a court hearing, Singthong Jaichomchuen, 44, and Saokaew Namwong, 59, appeared to have changed their stories, saying they never saw any money, only boxes with unknown contents. They were silent when asked about their previous statement to police that they and four other suspected burglars took Bt200 million and shared it among themselves before fleeing.

"I knew Saokaew for no more than a month through a middleman," Singthong said, refusing to respond to questions about the Bt1-billion figure.

Saokaew said: "I used to do odd jobs through contracts, then somebody asked me to take part in this. I never saw the money, just a lot of boxes," he said.

Singthong thanked the many Facebook users and pages lauding his act, saying sarcastically that both he and Saokaew should be hired to work as policemen or state auditors to keep corrupt politicians and officials in check.

According to police statements made the day after the burglary, the six men entered Suphoth's home on the night of November 12 and took some items away after tying up and gagging three maids. Suphoth, returning to the house an hour after the incident, told police and reporters that nothing had happened and that the incident was merely a misunderstanding.

Further news reports said the six men had carefully planned the heist, renting a nearby house a year earlier as their operations base before executing the plan on November 12, when Suphot and his family were out attending their daughter's wedding party. The matter drew the attention of the public and the media after the suspects' arrest early this week, when police released a statement quoting Singthong and Saokaew as saying that there was around Bt1 billion in cash kept in Suphoth's house in Soi Lat Phrao 64.

Singthong was arrested at his Bangkok home with Bt500,000 in cash and two gold necklaces worth around Bt260,000, and Saokaew was arrested at his Chiang Rai home with more than Bt2.8 million in cash.

Pol Maj-General Ronnasil Phoosara, a senior investigator, dismissed as false the suspects' statements about there being Bt1 billion in Suphoth's home and having taken Bt200 million. "What was found and seized after their arrests was not as much as they claimed to have seen and taken," he said.

"The suspects may have thought that there was plenty of money in the house. Police have checked suitcases they took and found only documents inside," the officer said. He added that the suspects still at large were being hunted down but that some of them could have fled the country.

Before yesterday's arrest of the unidentified third and fourth suspects, news reports citing police statements identified the four suspects then on the run as: alleged ringleader Weera Chualee, Phongsak Namwong, Somboon Riyathen and Khamnuan Meknoi. One of the burglars was said to hae told the maids: "Don't worry, we are not going to harm you. We have come here to get back what your boss has taken from our boss."

As a result, the National Anti Corruption Commission (NACC) and the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) are to launch graft probes against Suphoth Sublom on suspicion of unusual wealth, NACC member Klanarong Chantik and acting AMLO secretary-general Seehanart Prayoonrat said yesterday.

Klanarong said the probes would focus on three issues - whether Suphoth filed a false asset statement, whether he had stashed ill-gotten gains and whether he was involved in irregularities.

Reacting to the probe, Suphoth said the suspects were attempting to smear his reputation when they claimed he might have hidden as much as Bt1 billion at his home.

"The claim to have stolen Bt200 million is not true because I don't have that much money," he said.

He said it was impossible to hide Bt200 million or Bt1 billion at his home.

In earlier reports, he gave a police a statement that he found Bt5 million cash missing following the break-in.

At the police press conference held to present the initial two suspects, they were said to have had Bt2.8 million between them at the time of arrest.

Suphoth yesterday flatly denied speculation that he had taken bribes and stashed hundreds of millions of baht in cash inside his house.

It is the first time he has commented on the scandal, which he said had been plotted to discredit him, adding that the stolen cash was the dowry and cash gifts for his newlywed daughter. He said he had no idea of the exact amount.

"I didn't stash cash at home. Just imagine: How would you stash Bt1 billion in cash? Where is the Bt200 million? It would take 200 bundles of Bt1,000 banknotes to make up the amount. And the thief said he took Bt200 million. If there was Bt1 billion, why didn't he take it all?" he said.

Suphoth said had not officially been approached about an investigation by the NACC but was prepared to face one. He insisted that he did not interfere in any bidding processes, either at the State Railway of Thailand or the Mass Transit Rapid Authority of Thailand, at both of which he served as chairman. He also insisted that he had never made direct contact with private companies and that government project contracts are awarded in line with strict procedures.

Transport Minister Air Chief Marshal Sukampol Suwannathat said yesterday that he would discuss the burglary with Suphoth, who is one of his subordinates. However, he said he would not ask about the money or where it had come from, considering that a personal issue. He said the ministry is ready to cooperate with the NACC over the graft probe.

"As he was robbed, I need to console him. He's in distress, and placing more hardship on him is inconsiderate. My motto is that we should not punish the fallen. Those who are in charge of the investigation should proceed with their job. Does it puzzle me that the permanent secretary has a lot of cash? I can't answer that. I didn't know him before I took this post. I never met him before. But working together, I find him an able man. I won't comment on whether this [scandal] would affect my confidence in him," the minister said.

The Transport Ministry is known as "the A grade" ministry given its considerable annual budget of around Bt100 billion for spending on transport infrastructure.

Suphoth, 58, was appointed to the permanent secretary post on September 15, 2009. Earlier, he served as director-general of key departments including the Rural Roads Department and the Highways Department, and was chairman of the SRT and MRTA. He played a key role in approving many mega-projects, including the Purple Line, Red Line, and Blue Line mass-transit projects.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-19

CORRUPTION CHARGE

Top transport official moved, faces probes

Piyanuch Thamnukasetchai

Watcharapong Thongrung

Somroutai Sapsomboon

30170189-01_big.jpg

Permanent secretary denies huge amount of cash stored in house targeted by burglars

Following last week's break-in at his Bangkok home, for which four suspects are now in custody, Transport Ministry permanent secretary Suphoth Sublom was yesterday transferred to an inactive post with immediate effect, and is now the subject of probes by the National Anti-Corruption Commission and the Anti-Money Laundering Office, Deputy Prime Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit told The Nation last night.

Pol Lt-General Winai Thongsong said yesterday that two unidentified suspects had been arrested with Bt9 million in cash in their possession, joining two men who were arrested earlier in the week.

When news broke of the incident last week, it sounded like a typical heist. But the plot has thickened dramatically into a full-blown conspiracy theory with the first two suspects to be arrested having gone quiet after an announcement by police on Thursday evening that the men told them there was about Bt1 billion in cash kept in the house.

"I knew Saokaew for no more than a month through a middleman," Singthong said, refusing to respond to questions about the Bt1-billion figure.

Saokaew said: "I used to do odd jobs through contracts, then somebody asked me to take part in this. I never saw the money, just a lot of boxes," he said.

Singthong thanked the many Facebook users and pages lauding his act, saying sarcastically that both he and Saokaew should be hired to work as policemen or state auditors to keep corrupt politicians and officials in check.

According to police statements made the day after the burglary, the six men entered Suphoth's home on the night of November 12 and took some items away after tying up and gagging three maids. Suphoth, returning to the house an hour after the incident, told police and reporters that nothing had happened and that the incident was merely a misunderstanding.

Further news reports said the six men had carefully planned the heist, renting a nearby house a year earlier as their operations base before executing the plan on November 12, when Suphot and his family were out attending their daughter's wedding party. The matter drew the attention of the public and the media after the suspects' arrest early this week, when police released a statement quoting Singthong and Saokaew as saying that there was around Bt1 billion in cash kept in Suphoth's house in Soi Lat Phrao 64.

Pol Maj-General Ronnasil Phoosara, a senior investigator, dismissed as false the suspects' statements about there being Bt1 billion in Suphoth's home and having taken Bt200 million. "What was found and seized after their arrests was not as much as they claimed to have seen and taken," he said.

"The suspects may have thought that there was plenty of money in the house. Police have checked suitcases they took and found only documents inside," the officer said. He added that the suspects still at large were being hunted down but that some of them could have fled the country.

Before yesterday's arrest of the unidentified third and fourth suspects, news reports citing police statements identified the four suspects then on the run as: alleged ringleader Weera Chualee, Phongsak Namwong, Somboon Riyathen and Khamnuan Meknoi. One of the burglars was said to hae told the maids: "Don't worry, we are not going to harm you. We have come here to get back what your boss has taken from our boss."

As a result, the National Anti Corruption Commission (NACC) and the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) are to launch graft probes against Suphoth Sublom on suspicion of unusual wealth, NACC member Klanarong Chantik and acting AMLO secretary-general Seehanart Prayoonrat said yesterday.

Klanarong said the probes would focus on three issues - whether Suphoth filed a false asset statement, whether he had stashed ill-gotten gains and whether he was involved in irregularities.

Reacting to the probe, Suphoth said the suspects were attempting to smear his reputation when they claimed he might have hidden as much as Bt1 billion at his home.

"The claim to have stolen Bt200 million is not true because I don't have that much money," he said.

He said it was impossible to hide Bt200 million or Bt1 billion at his home.

In earlier reports, he gave a police a statement that he found Bt5 million cash missing following the break-in.

At the police press conference held to present the initial two suspects, they were said to have had Bt2.8 million between them at the time of arrest.

Suphoth yesterday flatly denied speculation that he had taken bribes and stashed hundreds of millions of baht in cash inside his house.

It is the first time he has commented on the scandal, which he said had been plotted to discredit him, adding that the stolen cash was the dowry and cash gifts for his newlywed daughter. He said he had no idea of the exact amount.

"I didn't stash cash at home. Just imagine: How would you stash Bt1 billion in cash? Where is the Bt200 million? It would take 200 bundles of Bt1,000 banknotes to make up the amount. And the thief said he took Bt200 million. If there was Bt1 billion, why didn't he take it all?" he said.

Suphoth said had not officially been approached about an investigation by the NACC but was prepared to face one. He insisted that he did not interfere in any bidding processes, either at the State Railway of Thailand or the Mass Transit Rapid Authority of Thailand, at both of which he served as chairman. He also insisted that he had never made direct contact with private companies and that government project contracts are awarded in line with strict procedures.

Transport Minister Air Chief Marshal Sukampol Suwannathat said yesterday that he would discuss the burglary with Suphoth, who is one of his subordinates. However, he said he would not ask about the money or where it had come from, considering that a personal issue. He said the ministry is ready to cooperate with the NACC over the graft probe.

"As he was robbed, I need to console him. He's in distress, and placing more hardship on him is inconsiderate. My motto is that we should not punish the fallen. Those who are in charge of the investigation should proceed with their job. Does it puzzle me that the permanent secretary has a lot of cash? I can't answer that. I didn't know him before I took this post. I never met him before. But working together, I find him an able man. I won't comment on whether this [scandal] would affect my confidence in him," the minister said.

The Transport Ministry is known as "the A grade" ministry given its considerable annual budget of around Bt100 billion for spending on transport infrastructure.

Suphoth, 58, was appointed to the permanent secretary post on September 15, 2009. Earlier, he served as director-general of key departments including the Rural Roads Department and the Highways Department, and was chairman of the SRT and MRTA. He played a key role in approving many mega-projects, including the Purple Line, Red Line, and Blue Line mass-transit projects.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-19

Why would the thieves take only 200 mil when there is 1,000 mil?

. Pity the owner, and leave 80% behind?

. Or low laying morons think that 200 mil is quite enough to retire, why take more than you need?

BRIBERY SCANDAL

Supoth denies scandal

The Nation

Supoth said that this scandal is to discredit him, adding that the stolen cash is the dowry and cash gifts for his newly-wed daughter.

"Wedding gift" - now where have I heard that before? <_<

How recently was the wedding, in the last few days, or months even? aren't gifts and dowries normally given AT / DURING the event?:ermm:

What percentage of his annual salary would even B5 million represent?:huh:

Mystery solved. I thought he was corrupt. What was I thinking? Silly me.

For what it's worth, I can confirm from personal-knowledge that his daughter did indeed get married, on Saturday. My wife and son were there. With over a thousand guests (including Banharn) at the wedding, the value of the unopened wedding-envelopes could easily have been a couple of million Baht, when the burglars arrived (with a pick-up to carry away the loot) on the Sunday.

What a lovely start to married life, for the happy couple, who are nice people. Glad that the police rapidly caught the ratbag thieves. B)

Unfortunately you appear to have added the words "Mystery solved. I thought he was corrupt. What was I thinking? Silly me", within my quoted-post, so that it appears that I said that. Hopefully you can still try to correct your mistake ?

Anyway I accept that it was an innocent error. :jap:

FWIW, I made/make no claim/comment about anyone's innocence of corruption here, but I think it only fair to point out that the official concerned recently refused to blow holes in five major roads in Bangkok, when ordered verbally to do so by PM-Yingluck, and insisted that the order should be in-writing, an understandable request. No written-order was forthcoming, so no important-roads were damaged.

Then now one of the thieves, who I understand may hail from Chiang Rai (a centre of red-Shirt extremism), just happens to be part of a gang which robs his house, and allegedly finds a suspiciously-large sum of cash ? A cynic wouldn't dream of thinking, that PTP & their supporters decided to take retribution on someone who was reluctant to stick his neck out & do as he was told, now would they do a thing like that ? <_<

The murky world of Thai politics remains murky, regardless of the newest elite in-power, I fear. B)

. Or low laying morons think that 200 mil is quite enough to retire, why take more than you need?

Because 200 million are easier to run with for five or six people than 1 billion or more. wink.gif

Because 200 million are easier to run with for five or six people than 1 billion or more. wink.gif

I though they are just next door in the rented house.

No need to carry and run.

Just pass the black sport bags over the fence, load up the Fortuner(s), start the engine(s) and go.

I though they are just next door in the rented house.

No need to carry and run.

Just pass the black sport bags over the fence, load up the Fortuner(s), start the engine(s) and go.

According to the secretary there are 5 million missing. So tell me who keeps that money loose in a house and not putting it in a safe.

Probably not big enough safes for this kind of money?

it's getting even funnier now. The other paper reports that he's missing 12 million. Placed in cartons? laugh.gif

so to match the money found. the missing money was increased to 12 million from previous 5 million.

Two more suspect have been arrested and more than 9 million found with them.

Edited by elcent

"I didn't stash cash at home. Just imagine how you will stash cash worth Bt1 billion. Where is the Bt200 million amount? It will take 200 bundles of Bt1,000 banknotes to make up the amount. And the thief said he took Bt200 million. If there was Bt1 billion, why didn't him take it all?" he said.

Because him could not carry that many more bundles, blink.gif Him not elephant. ( Ugh, whats with the logic?)

The report also said that there were 7 or 8 gang members, those two were the ones caught! All of whom are now flying to ........?:lol:

it's getting even funnier now. The other paper reports that he's missing 12 million. Placed in cartons? laugh.gif

so to match the money found. the missing money was increased to 12 million from previous 5 million.

Two more suspect have been arrested and more than 9 million found with them.

So 2 of them takes 9 million.

And the balance 4 to 6 guys (or gals) share the balance 191 million.

Plus, leave the balance 800 million for the alleged owner.

Doesn't quite adds up.

Since when do thieves admit to stealing money? Supoj obviously didn't say anything about the 200 million Baht, so why would the thieves? They could have gotten away with it if he didn't say anything, so why report that you stole 200 million?

Looks like another cheap attempt at framing by the Democrats. Sad, sad.

Is there a link to the Democrats ... ... besides in your mind?

I would think BJT more likely. He predates this government and transport was under BJT.

Sparebox 2

It is about 2kg per million baht.

So my estimation is 400kg

A Thai is too lazy to carry that weight

So he could hire Burmese and Khmer to be koolie.

Great comment so true too,

I larf I larf ,I pee Iself.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by siampolee

The surveillance tapes, as stated by Pol Maj Gen Winai, confirms that there was a large group of members in the burglary and that they made away with many large bags.

The number of people and bags indicates that the amount stolen is higher than 5 million.

They have now found 2 more, and another 9 million baht.

So the tally sofar: 4 people, 12+ million baht. How much did he say he had in his house?

The surveillance tapes, as stated by Pol Maj Gen Winai, confirms that there was a large group of members in the burglary and that they made away with many large bags.

The number of people and bags indicates that the amount stolen is higher than 5 million.

They have now found 2 more, and another 9 million baht.

So the tally sofar: 4 people, 12+ million baht. How much did he say he had in his house?

if the police return the 5mill.he reported stolen there should be enough left to have a bun with their tea :whistling:

5218e43fe8bb6b5678d478bad14270e1.jpg divide it by about 15 (I didn't do the math yet, but seems about right) and you see that it doesn't take to much space. This is 100 million $ in 100 Dollar notes

You have to divide your picture of the 100 Million Dollars in 100s by 10=0,1 (to get the 1000s Thai Baht) and multiplicate (to get to the 200 Mill. Baht) by 2=0,2 means your pictured money mountain has to be split in 5 parts.

That 1/5 part is 200 Million baht in 1000s notes.

Means, 2 rows of money of the 10 rows you can see. A bit much for one, but not for two or more guys.biggrin.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

5218e43fe8bb6b5678d478bad14270e1.jpg divide it by about 15 (I didn't do the math yet, but seems about right) and you see that it doesn't take to much space. This is 100 million $ in 100 Dollar notes

You have to divide your picture of the 100 Million Dollars in 100s by 10=0,1 (to get the 1000s Thai Baht) and multiplicate (to get to the 200 Mill. Baht) by 2=0,2 means your pictured money mountain has to be split in 5 parts.

That 1/5 part is 200 Million baht in 1000s notes.

Means, 2 rows of money of the 10 rows you can see. A bit much for one, but not for two or more guys.biggrin.gif

I think there were also other currencies, otherwise you're right.

This and the statement of his boss is beyond reality. Even in Thailand. Democrathy?

UHAHAHAHA! What a country. Just have th cops search the house. I am shure the guy is so stupid hat he still hides the rest of the cash there. What other reason should he have had to tell the incomming cops that nothing has happened? What a greedy moron.

It's all over nothing to see here folks. Police have now said it was only about a mill plus some jewelry

A total of five suspects are now in custody and the amount of money police have recovered from the burglars now stands at 12.7 Million Baht.

Supoj has declined to say how much money was stolen.

The NACC will decide on Tuesday whether to investigate him for being unusually wealthy. The NACC said that Supoj has submitted asset declaration statements 16 times since 2002 as a government official, mainly in his role as AOT Board of Directers.

Unfortunately, civil servants assets are not declared publicly like politicians are.

FWIW, I made/make no claim/comment about anyone's innocence of corruption here, but I think it only fair to point out that the official concerned recently refused to blow holes in five major roads in Bangkok, when ordered verbally to do so by PM-Yingluck, and insisted that the order should be in-writing, an understandable request. No written-order was forthcoming, so no important-roads were damaged.

Then now one of the thieves, who I understand may hail from Chiang Rai (a centre of red-Shirt extremism), just happens to be part of a gang which robs his house, and allegedly finds a suspiciously-large sum of cash ? A cynic wouldn't dream of thinking, that PTP & their supporters decided to take retribution on someone who was reluctant to stick his neck out & do as he was told, now would they do a thing like that ? <_<

Thank you very much for this insight.If I understood you correctly the official concerned bravely stood up to the Prime Minister who was irresponsibly demanding he should arrange for major roads to be blasted.This he refused to do and as revenge the PM arranged for redshirts from Chiangmai to deposit Bt 200 million in his house, (and allow themselves to be caught by the police) in order to exact a dastardly revenge.This is a very plausible explanation and thanks for providing it.

Thank you very much for this insight.If I understood you correctly the official concerned bravely stood up to the Prime Minister who was irresponsibly demanding he should arrange for major roads to be blasted.This he refused to do and as revenge the PM arranged for redshirts from Chiangmai to deposit Bt 200 million in his house, (and allow themselves to be caught by the police) in order to exact a dastardly revenge.This is a very plausible explanation and thanks for providing it.

Call me stupid, assuming the money will be returned to either him or the government. That would mean the red shirts paid 200 million to punish him.. Somehow i doubt this.

Show me the 200 million, and I might believe it exists, somewhere other than in the fevered imagination of a crook from Chiang Rai. <_<

So far the police have failed to locate it, but then, what else is new ? B)

Edited by Ricardo