Blacklisted

I have a single name.

Last time entering Thailand through CNX I was held up for nearly an hour at immigration.

My single name [let's say it's Marv] is blacklisted as a given name. So I was told that if I put it as a surname, I would be allowed in.

I figure at the rate the american gestapo is rolling along, it's only a matter of time until 'Marv' is blacklisted as both a given name and a surname.

So the question is: is there a way to unscrew this mess? Is there a central registry of blacklisted names.

This is not a joke. It could happen to you. There was a recent case of a coulple travelling with a newborn child whose name was on the blacklist.

Any suggestions?

Well by only having a single name you are probably increasing your chances of problems by about 1,000,000 to one. Seeing as there is no way to differntiate between say "Paul from South Africa" and a different "Paul from South Africa".

How or why have you only got a single name?, I havent heard of that before in modern times. I dont really think you have to warn people about it, I've never even meet someone with only a single name.

Well by only having a single name you are probably increasing your chances of problems by about 1,000,000 to one.  Seeing as there is no way to differntiate between say "Paul from South Africa" and a different "Paul from South Africa".

How or why have you only got a single name?, I havent heard of that before in modern times.  I dont really think you have to warn people about it, I've never even meet someone with only a single name.

Ya having a single name is somehow associated with rock stars or terroists(ie bono and the Jackal) something sinister about both, find a second name! :o

I don't understand why you think, that there is any way you can have a blacklisted name removed. After all it's not you who are blacklisted, but someone with a name similar to your.

Not that I know anything about the subject, but if a name is blacklisted, surely it's because someone with that name should be refused entry, arrested or whatever, and immigration should be looking for that person. That will of course mean that people with a similar name, will risk being mistaken for that person and thusly inconvenienced, and since you only have a single name (are you royalty :o ), you will be more susceptible to such inconveniences.

However, removing the name from the blacklist would allow the person, they were really looking for, to enter unnoticed. I can't see any way they will agree to removing a name (which could possibly be a terrorist) from the list, just so you won't be delayed in immigration.

Maybe it would be possible to have it recorded on your immigration record, that you are not the person they are looking for?

Sophon

First, let me note that single names are not that uncommon. At work, I used to see them on passports from places like the Republic of Palau, the Federated States of Micronesia, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Nepal and elsewhere. Not everyone in the world follows the custom of having a given name and a family or surname.

Second, I know what a pain it is to be on some sort of list. I've never been able to get an electronic visa for Australia. I tried a number of times. My family could all get one, but not me. Fortunately, I was always able to persuade the airline (Continental) to let me board. Once I got to Oz the Immigration officials could always tell that I had applied for an electronic visa and could never tell me why it was denied. However, they always, until the last time, simply admitted me without a visa.

Last time I was pulled aside and stuck in an interview room. The first question: "When is the last time you were in Saudi Arabia?"

Well, I've never been there. But obviously, someone with my name has been and as a result I'm on some sort of list with the Oz Immigration. Not my fault, but certainly my problem.

First, let me note that single names are not that uncommon. At work, I used to see them on passports from places like the Republic of Palau, the Federated States of Micronesia, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Nepal and elsewhere. Not everyone in the world follows the custom of having a given name and a family or surname.

Second, I know what a pain it is to be on some sort of list. I've never been able to get an electronic visa for Australia. I tried a number of times. My family could all get one, but not me. Fortunately, I was always able to persuade the airline (Continental) to let me board. Once I got to Oz the Immigration officials could always tell that I had applied for an electronic visa and could never tell me why it was denied. However, they always, until the last time, simply admitted me without a visa.

Last time I was pulled aside and stuck in an interview room. The first question: "When is the last time you were in Saudi Arabia?"

Well, I've never been there. But obviously, someone with my name has been and as a result I'm on some sort of list with the Oz Immigration. Not my fault, but certainly my problem.

I understand your traditions,sadly we are in times of terrism and tracking is integral to supression..........unfortunate fact of life.........UN :o

So, it would be 'reasonable' to ban all people with the name, say 'Ali', to enter the kingdom? :D :D

Fine by me to have the name of someone with a record "blacklisted" for thorough scrutiny, but why should a person with an identical name be denied entry? Because of "terrorism"?

What a ridiculous concept! :o

So, it would be 'reasonable' to ban all people with the name, say 'Ali', to enter the kingdom?  :D :D

Fine by me to have the name of someone with a record "blacklisted" for thorough scrutiny, but why should a person with an identical name be denied entry? Because of "terrorism"?

What a ridiculous concept! :o

They wouldn't be. The question of nationality and date of birth would be a seriously important part of the entry denial process. This is a very strange posting I think.

buadhai & Sophon,

Thanks for the intelligent comments.

Yes, what's needed is not 'removal' but clarification as to which individual with any particular name is the one being carefully screened.

As to the comment about a 'single name' person being more likely 'suspicous', sure. But if a common name, like Joe Smith gets blacklisted, that net is likely to catch far more 'wrong suspects' that a name like Marv, for which there are probably fewer than, let's say, five, im the entire world. So I think your 'logic' is a bit flawed.

I'll guess I'll just pack some peanut butter sanwiches and make myself comfortable in immigration.

His real name is Paul Hewson. I am sure his mum and dad are all excited about the name change.

At the beginning of U2s career, he called himself Bono Vox  :o

An educated chap, then: he knows Latin – sort of.

Not sure if Bono and The Jackal are actually their passport names though!

:D

Bono is, :D the queen allowes it

His real name is Paul Hewson. I am sure his mum and dad are all excited about the name change.

At the beginning of U2s career, he called himself Bono Vox :D

so he's vulcan ..like spocknoid :o

• 4 weeks later...
Why do you believe that America controls the immigration at Thai airports?

They don't control it but they sure put pressure to have other countries adopt America based ways of doing things.

Things could be a whole lot worse.

Say Hitler or Stalin had come won, what then?

Take your pick, we'd be living like the poor souls of either Burma or North Korea. That would be worth complaining about, only you couldn't, could you?

Hey my glass is half full. Take a good look at the big picture and you'll see what I mean. Have you checked out the alternatives out there these days? Not nice...

It's indeed great to be having a free exchange of ideas over the internet without fear of persecution, don't ya think?

America can be pushy in its ways surely, but who do you want to have your back when push really comes to shove in this world? I can't think of anyone else.