Cheapest Beer In Bangkok

Hooters

Don't drink beer much myself (like spirits more) but will agree that if you don't need to drink expensive premium imported stuff, pubs-for-Thais- in Thailand- are pretty sure to be cheaper for anything than the foreign tourist ghettos.

Mixed drink in a foreign bar: at least in the neighborhood of 100B, up to 300B or more

Mixed drink in a Thai pub: about 30-50B averaged over the bottle and mixers

Somehow, though, I don't expect to see a lot more foreigners showing up in the real Thai pubs....

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't drink beer much myself (like spirits more) but will agree that if you don't need to drink expensive premium imported stuff, pubs-for-Thais- in Thailand- are pretty sure to be cheaper for anything than the foreign tourist ghettos.

Mixed drink in a foreign bar: at least in the neighborhood of 100B, up to 300B or more

Mixed drink in a Thai pub: about 30-50B averaged over the bottle and mixers

Somehow, though, I don't expect to see a lot more foreigners showing up in the real Thai pubs....

I mainly drink in my local Thai bars and your right , the beer is much cheaper and generally the service much friendlier , but it is nice to get into town once or twice a month but do not feel the need to waste money on imported beers , even though I can whistling.gif

Sanook bar has to be the winner so far. In between soi 5 and soi 7

Its actually a Belgium beer bar and snooker bar with wide screens showing footy etc.

beer is icy cold as is the air con and .....No hassle!

Happy hour is untill 8pm with 60bht all local bottled beers :)

Tthis place would also satisfy the "I must spend 300bht a beer " brigade as well with high end imports being over 400 ;)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mi9qjGiKmMw

Edited by Hooters

Surprisingly, BeerVault at the Four Points by Sheraton hotel on Sukhumvit soi 15 is really cheap.

2-for-1 on all local and some imported beers during happy hour, which I think is 5.30 to 8.30, works out at 60 baht a bottle for Singha etc, and about 80/90 for imports. And they throw in a free (small!) buffet, nuts and snacks etc. Great value.

7-11, big bottles of Chang for 40 baht.

Dont like the seating arrangements outside BKK 711's

I've never understand the attraction of 'Cheap Charlies' as a drinking establishment.

This week I just finished staying on Sukhumvit Soi 11 (my sister was a first timer here and felt comfortable on this street) and walked past Cheap Charlies many times.

Full of Western Culture, no 'street TV' to look at ... why bother coming to a foreign country if you are not going to immerse yourself in the local culture?

Then again I don't 'get' the Q Bar ... but just love 'Long Table' off Asoke Rd.

Just suppose I like 'destination places' (Long Table) and not 'meeting places' (Cheap Charlies/Q Bar)

Go to most any Thai restaurant, bars or clubs and they will have cheaper beer and drinks. By that I mean aimed at Thai people not at foreigners. Cheap Charlies isn't even cheap, for 70 baht you can get a large beer in many places. Really don't get that place, prices aren't good, crowded, and outdoors sitting on stools.

+1 I replied in a similiar fashion before I read your post.

Surprisingly, BeerVault at the Four Points by Sheraton hotel on Sukhumvit soi 15 is really cheap.

2-for-1 on all local and some imported beers during happy hour, which I think is 5.30 to 8.30, works out at 60 baht a bottle for Singha etc, and about 80/90 for imports. And they throw in a free (small!) buffet, nuts and snacks etc. Great value.

Great tip Adam ... wished I read it before I left Bangkok.

Not exactly 'on-topic' ... but on a similar subject.

Has anyone been to or know that they have opened and can give details about the Heineken and Chang 'Beer Gardens' which seem to open in Bangkok round this time of year?

If someone here has opened this tread already here on the Forum, please post the link.

Edited by David48

Thanks to Adam for his mention above regarding the BeerVault Pub at the Four Points by Sheraton Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 15, just a block distance off the main road. Even though I live in the area, I didn't even know the hotel was there and had not heard of its beer place until reading his post.

After reading about it, I decided to give BeerVault a try the other day, and so here's some updated info re their beers and Happy Hour deals. It is indeed a nice place with good values on beer drinks during their happy hour. My waitress told me they were just celebrating their one year anniversary of opening.

Although the printed menu says their Happy Hour is daily from 5:30 to 7:30 pm daily, they had a chalkboard outside saying Happy Hour is actually from 5:30 to 9:30 pm daily. And in checking with a waitress, she confirmed the longer time is indeed correct, and not just a temporary thing due to the flooding and low tourist business.

BeerVault's Happy Hour means two for one pricing on the bottle beers, wines, cocktails, spirits and soft drinks on the following Happy Hour menu. The bottled beer choices, which include regular Beer Lao (not Leo), rate as a particularly good deal at 60 baht (2 for 120 baht). The wines less so at 180 baht per glass (2 for 360 baht).

post-58284-0-85831400-1322808668_thumb.j

They also had a separate, non Happy Hour menu of a variety of their special beers, with prices that seemed pretty reasonable. Here's that menu, and I believe all the choices are bottled beers.

post-58284-0-72346000-1322808801_thumb.j

They also have some nightly special promotions, as follows:

post-58284-0-05219000-1322808856_thumb.j

They also have some draught beers on their regular menu:

post-58284-0-44010300-1322809523_thumb.j

The venue itself is quite pleasant, air conditioned of course, with some seating outside for smokers. The wait staff is pleasant. The free appetizers offered are a nice touch, though the day I was there, they had 3 plates on offer: sweet and sour shrimp, a chilled sliced sausage and veggies salad, and a third one I can't recall.

The weekday I was there, it was relatively busy around the dinner hour...and I had to sit upstairs in a loft area as all the downstairs tables (and there aren't that many) were taken. But the place thinned out as it got to the 7 to 8 pm hour.

PS - I was surprised to discover that the pub didn't add either VAT or service charge onto their menu prices. I added a tip onto my credit card receipt and supposedly worked that thru with the wait staff. But when the debit hit my bank account, only the basic bill was charged...without my added on tip.

Ahh... and when I asked, they also have Wi-fi onsite for the hotel. The waitress gave me a card with a password to use, good for one hour's use.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

BTW, one of the best eat and drink deals that I know of in Bangkok right now is located nearby at the V8 Diner on Sukhumvit Road near Soi 12.

Daily special from 5 until 10 pm: 139 baht for a quite good American style hamburger topped with lettuce and tomato and pickle slices, a full regular order of french fries and a cold bottle of San Miguel Light.

post-58284-0-43322400-1322810272_thumb.j

They also have a Happy Hour from lunch through midnight or so that includes 69 baht solo bottles of San Miguel Light and Carlsberg, and 90 baht glasses of red and white wine.

And a variety of food and drink specials throughout the day and night, since they're open 24 hours.

http://www.v8diner.com/Specials.html

And most notably... the parking lot that used to be at the center of that former shopping center, which also houses Sunrise Tacos, has now been converted into an outdoor drinking and dining patio with very nice and comfortable chairs and tables, accompanied by large sun umbrellas for warmer periods and a nighttime water fountain feature that runs the full length of the area. So the left half of the outside dining area is used by V8 customers, while the right half seems to belong to Sunrise Tacos.

post-58284-0-51952200-1322810466_thumb.j

Especially at this time of year, it makes for a very pleasant night out venture... and Club Insomnia is on-site with free admission (with V8 Diner purchase) to those who want to go clubbing after drinking/eating at V8.

BTW, one of the best eat and drink deals that I know of in Bangkok right now is located nearby at the V8 Diner on Sukhumvit Road near Soi 12.

Daily special from 5 until 10 pm: 139 baht for a quite good American style hamburger topped with lettuce and tomato and pickle slices, a full regular order of french fries and a cold bottle of San Miguel Light.

post-58284-0-43322400-1322810272_thumb.j

They also have a Happy Hour from lunch through midnight or so that includes 69 baht solo bottles of San Miguel Light and Carlsberg, and 90 baht glasses of red and white wine.

And a variety of food and drink specials throughout the day and night, since they're open 24 hours.

http://www.v8diner.com/Specials.html

And most notably... the parking lot that used to be at the center of that former shopping center, which also houses Sunrise Tacos, has now been converted into an outdoor drinking and dining patio with very nice and comfortable chairs and tables, accompanied by large sun umbrellas for warmer periods and a nighttime water fountain feature that runs the full length of the area. So the left half of the outside dining area is used by V8 customers, while the right half seems to belong to Sunrise Tacos.

post-58284-0-51952200-1322810466_thumb.j

Especially at this time of year, it makes for a very pleasant night out venture... and Club Insomnia is on-site with free admission (with V8 Diner purchase) to those who want to go clubbing after drinking/eating at V8.

too bad the food comes in small portions and really does suck.

Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I'd disagree with yours...

Originally, when the V8 Diner was just indoors, I thought and also posted here on TV that their food was marginal.

But lately, when the wife and I have tried them again since they opened the outdoors dining, they've significantly expanded/improved their food menu, and the quality of the dishes we've ordered has been good...and an improvement over the earlier visits.

The hamburger and fries dish is quite good, freshly cooked, some variety of toasted bun that most times isn't the routine grocery store variety, and the fries are fine.

We've ordered their smoked salmon salad for 219 baht a couple of times, and both I and my wife, who is Thai, enjoyed it. She's also ordered their pad thai and yum woon sen and even pla krapong manao, and found them acceptable, and she's pretty fussy about Thai food, especially when coming from a farang restaurant.

And for all the menu items we've ordered, all the portion sizes have been normal and fine... I never had any impression they were skimping.

They also have a tiramisu for 99 baht that rates as good as most any I've had in Bangkok.

I'm pretty picky about my food and restaurant choices. And thus far, with the new version of V8, I've found nothing to complain about. And, for the record, I have no affiliation or any other personal interest in that venture.

• 3 weeks later...

7-11, big bottles of Chang for 40 baht.

Woooah, 40 baht is like splashing out on a fancy dinner for me (big bowl of street noodles with *BEEF*). For alcohol, I can still manage to get a large bottle of Siam Sato in some 7-11 type stores for 22 baht and two of those (total spend: 44 baht) will get me as drunk as a lord. So if I spend over 84 baht in an evening, I really feel like I'm pushing the boat out. I'm not exactly poor either. I work online as a consultant and 120,000 baht would be a bad month for me... But I just don't like to spend money.

Certainly better to save rather than spend...

Now if I could just get my Thai wife to give up drinking red wine when we're outside, and choose the Siam Sato instead (whatever that is), I'd be in for some substantial savings...

drunk.gif

And if you could just give up your Thai wife, you could change your name to TallRichGuyJohninBKK... giggle.gif

Is it all about finding the cheapest beer ? surely the atmosphere of the bar and the quality of the beer is more important than saving a few baht. I would rather spend up to 300 thb on a pint of draught Kilkenny than a bottle of the local pss

Agree,

Then again you must understand these are Cheap Charlies, under-funded pensioners, and the pathologically frugal,

For them saving a few baht always trumps pleasure of experience, it's all about getting as much of something, no matter how bad, for the least amount.

The money I throw in my ash tray for the maid would make these people sick,

What a miserable old Troll ! Goes to show you money cant buy happiness, I think i have seen you around, your the one sitting in the corner by yourself all night drinking $10 Guinness, what a winner!

In The Australian in Suk soi 11 a pint of Guiness is 240 baht....not a bad pint wink.png

RAZZ

Its actually a Belgium beer bar and snooker bar with wide screens showing footy etc.

Happy hour is untill 8pm with 60bht all local bottled beers smile.gif

Tthis place would also satisfy the "I must spend 300bht a beer " brigade as well with high end imports being over 400 wink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi9qjGiKmMw

If this is the winner then the other ones must be really crap

Happy hour is untill 8pm with 60bht all local bottled beers smile.gif

Tthis place would also satisfy the "I must spend 300bht a beer " brigade as well with high end imports being over 400 wink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi9qjGiKmMw

If this is the winner then the other ones must be really crap

Good post...sleepy.gif