Abhisit Slams Thai Govt For Mishandling Flood

webfact

The 2011 rainy season, which started at the end of the Abhisit-government, brought the worst flooding that Thailand had seen in 50 years. Hundreds died, and Bangkok was flooded. Meteorological Department deputy director-general Somchai Baimoung blamed his department's inability to predict rainfall on the Abhisit government's unwillingness in 2009 and 2010 to provide a requested 4 billion baht overhaul of its radar and modeling systems. It was reported that from October 20-23 2011, as flood-waters entered Bangkok, Abhisit took a holiday with his family to the Maldives. These reports were initially denied by the Democrat Party, with both Democrat Spokesperson Chawanan Intharakoman and Shadow ICT Minister Sirichok Sopha claiming that he was in Bangkok planning flood relief operations. On 25 October, Democrat Spokesperson Chawanan Intharakoman retracted his earlier denial, claiming that the trip had been planned long in advance and that Abhisit also took the opportunity to meet the President of the Maldives to discuss the floods.

Above from Wiki. So the fact is, the flood start during Abhist, NOT Yingluck. Get it. Yingluck is only cleaning up Abhisit mess, with no fault of her own.

On another note, what has YS done about the impending flash floods in the South? You'd think once again she had enough notice about them but she seems to ignore them along with all the countless deadly shootings and bombings in the region.

Flash flood like Tsunami, comes and goes in a flash (hence the name).

Unlikely other act of god (like flood), man (let alone woman) has yet a cost effective technology to control Flash flood like Tsunami.

Not even the Dutch nor the Japanese, let alone Thai.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2011 rainy season, which started at the end of the Abhisit-government, brought the worst flooding that Thailand had seen in 50 years. Hundreds died, and Bangkok was flooded. Meteorological Department deputy director-general Somchai Baimoung blamed his department's inability to predict rainfall on the Abhisit government's unwillingness in 2009 and 2010 to provide a requested 4 billion baht overhaul of its radar and modeling systems. It was reported that from October 20-23 2011, as flood-waters entered Bangkok, Abhisit took a holiday with his family to the Maldives. These reports were initially denied by the Democrat Party, with both Democrat Spokesperson Chawanan Intharakoman and Shadow ICT Minister Sirichok Sopha claiming that he was in Bangkok planning flood relief operations. On 25 October, Democrat Spokesperson Chawanan Intharakoman retracted his earlier denial, claiming that the trip had been planned long in advance and that Abhisit also took the opportunity to meet the President of the Maldives to discuss the floods.

Above from Wiki. So the fact is, the flood start during Abhist, NOT Yingluck. Get it. Yingluck is only cleaning up Abhisit mess, with no fault of her own.

I believe that Yingluck is in charge and declined the oportunity to involve Aphisit. I believe Aphisit would have done a far better job.

Radar CAN see weather - but only water droplets in the air. By the time you can see them it's too late. The short/medium term weather forecast comes from satelites and PLENTY of warning was given

You are joking right?

So Honda should now go to ask help from Toyota to fix up its Rojana factory sunk by the flood. Because Toyota can do a better job.

On another note, what has YS done about the impending flash floods in the South? You'd think once again she had enough notice about them but she seems to ignore them along with all the countless deadly shootings and bombings in the region.

Flash flood like Tsunami, comes and goes in a flash (hence the name).

Unlikely other act of god (like flood), man (let alone woman) has yet a cost effective technology to control Flash flood like Tsunami.

Not even the Dutch nor the Japanese, let alone Thai.

So no need to provide shelters, food, clothing, fresh water, medicine, hospital beds, search and rescue teams etc? Silly old me.

Flash floods tend to liquify the ground, cause mudslides, destroy houses or villages etc.

Cross your fingers mate!

I believe that Yingluck is in charge and declined the oportunity to involve Aphisit. I believe Aphisit would have done a far better job.

Radar CAN see weather - but only water droplets in the air. By the time you can see them it's too late. The short/medium term weather forecast comes from satelites and PLENTY of warning was given

You are joking right?

So Honda should now go to ask help from Toyota to fix up its Rojana factory sunk by the flood. Because Toyota can do a better job.

I think the thing here is that Yingluck looked to most to be out of her depth.

In asking Aphisit for assistance it would have removed any remaining element of doubt.

The flooding started on 31 July ... at the very end of the Abhisit government, while Abhisit was care-taker PM, and 2 days before Yingluck became PM. But the flooding got really bad in mid September when 2 more typhoons hit Thailand. Abhisit couldn't do much about the management of relief and communications by that stage.

I don't know what the Meteorological department complaint has to do with this. You don't need radars to predict that the rain that has fallen and is already flooding areas is going to flow downstream.

Jesus - listen to yourselves, bickering about when the rain started - pathetic.

After you live in this fetid murky infected water for a month you don't care whose fault it bloody well is - you just care that it goes away.

When it starts to retreat (or at least not advance) you can reflect on whose fault it is, but what's the point?

So you look at facts:

Before your house got flooded you were told:

No problem, under control,

May last 2 months,

Gone before November,

Bangkok not ffected,

Evacuate now,

Worst is over

Uh-oh high tides brace yourself

New Year gift, no water

So you come to the conclusion that nobody knows what they're doing and their mis-communication causes more heartache and suffering than the water.

Then you find out that their solution is 1000 boats ... and that their relief headquarters is being flooded - they couldn't even figure out where to put their relief headquarters.

So, just the undisputable facts when assessing this government's performance:

conflicting official communication + boat propellors + FROC headquarters flooded + people living in stagnant water for more than 1 month

SURELY = epic fail (regardless of who or what caused the floods in the first place)

The flooding started on 31 July ... at the very end of the Abhisit government, while Abhisit was care-taker PM, and 2 days before Yingluck became PM. But the flooding got really bad in mid September when 2 more typhoons hit Thailand. Abhisit couldn't do much about the management of relief and communications by that stage.

I don't know what the Meteorological department complaint has to do with this. You don't need radars to predict that the rain that has fallen and is already flooding areas is going to flow downstream.

Not just the radar, but a new modeling systems is badly in need.

This computer modeling system will predict the flood, and prompt the dam to release water more than normal.

Edited by sparebox2

<snip>

This computer modeling system will predict the flood, and prompt the dam to release water more than normal.

"his department's inability to predict rainfall" ... not predict flooding.

Edited by whybother

<snip>

I rest my case.

You are right. His dept only predict rainfall. If you want to ask how much water will the rain fall bring, you have to go to another department (and possibly under another ministry).

One can quibble with the detail but it seems to me that this report on Abhisit's criticisms is perfectly fair.An opposition's duty is to oppose and Abhisit's points (as reported) represent responsible opposition.It's silly to get steamed up about this.

Whether he would have done any better is another question.

A moot question.

Abhisit shouldn't slam anyone. The floods were going on when he was PM and he didn't do anything either except ride around in a boat and have his picture taken. He's a slime ball. He's still crying because he was thrown out of the PM position and can't stand it that the people do not want him. Except the Bangkok elite of course.

When as Abhisit riding around in a boat as PM during these floods? The flooding didn't start until the beginning of August, and that was only in the North and North East. It didn't start flooding badly in most of the central areas until mid September.

You can hate the guy if you want, but do get your facts right.

You are exactly right.

North and North East is not Thailand like Bangkok.

Abhisit's preposterous suggestions of compensating the victims is telling of who he is. He proved to be a true politico with his injured ego waiting for the government to ask for his help: "I will help if the government invites me." Waiting for an invitation in a moment of crisis?

But he learned that from the PTP: populist schemes! Is he trying to be able to say later to the victims of the flood: "see you got more money because of me."

Compensation to the victims is not going to lessen the effects of next year's floods. Compensation to the victims is not going to bring back the close to 600 people who lost their lives during this flood... and counting.

Why he is not talking about a joint effort and offer his help to formulate a plan to manage floods as other countries have done for centuries? The Khmer did it in the year 1450.

All he does is grandstanding, casting blame around and protecting his own party and those still in positions of power such as the Governor, who is another one who could've done better.

Blame others! Do not be part of solutions: that is not going to get you votes. Slam, slam and slam. That is where he excels. Not in offering long term solutions to the yearly floods.

You're not planning on taking that rant door to door in flooded areas are you? My suggestion; don't.

<snip>

I rest my case.

You are right. His dept only predict rainfall. If you want to ask how much water will the rain fall bring, you have to go to another department (and possibly under another ministry).

Once the rain has fallen and is flowing down the river, they don't need the radar or modelling system. It's there right in front of them.

So the fact that they didn't have the radar made no difference to the government managing or predicting the floods.

Abhisit shouldn't slam anyone. The floods were going on when he was PM and he didn't do anything either except ride around in a boat and have his picture taken. He's a slime ball. He's still crying because he was thrown out of the PM position and can't stand it that the people do not want him. Except the Bangkok elite of course.

I am not a Red shirt, but I salute your statement. He would'nt have done better for sure...

I live down south and during the floods in April our house was under 3 metres of water and all we got from the great Abhisit was B5000 and 5 kilos of rice. Peoples houses that were washed away received the same so please, PUT A SOCK IN IT ABHISIT!

You are joking right?

I think the thing here is that Yingluck looked to most to be out of her depth.

In asking Aphisit for assistance it would have removed any remaining element of doubt.

do you mean before or after he swanned off to the Maldives?

or before or after the BMA allowed canals to silt up, become inoperative, be built over etc etc

I am not a Red shirt, but I salute your statement. He would'nt have done better for sure...

I live down south and during the floods in April our house was under 3 metres of water and all we got from the great Abhisit was B5000 and 5 kilos of rice. Peoples houses that were washed away received the same so please, PUT A SOCK IN IT ABHISIT!

At least you get B5000 and 5 kg rice.

My house was flooded for 5 days, and according to YS rule, sorry no can pay (< 7 days)

At least you get B5000 and 5 kg rice.

My house was flooded for 5 days, and according to YS rule, sorry no can pay (< 7 days)

Yea that paid for the TV, computer, aircon, new doors, paint job, furniture, etc.... It didn't even cover the clean up but mustn't grumble, we had boiled rice for 4 days. Oh and forgot the rice arrived 2 weeks after the flooding had subsided!

Edited by Jirapa

Furthermore, Abhisit stated that the government should review the compensation plan, saying that the 5,000 baht compensation may not be enough for some people.

Conversely, the government should consider other factors, especially the amount of time they have been in misery.

That's true, 5,000 baht isn't nearly enough for people that have had long inundations of flood water. The government came in to 46 billion of baht confiscated from a convicted criminal last year, perhaps they should distribute that money as compensation to flood victims. They could give 20,0000 baht to 2.3 million flood victims :whistling:

It looks like they have that money earmarked for others. "10 million baht to the families of the 92 victims last year," according to Jatuporns demand. If that does happen, may as well give 10 million baht to each family who lost a family member due to the governments mismanagement of the floods. That brings the total to almost 700 now.

Seems we have many fortune tellers on this site

I always though you have an opinion but until it happens no once can be sure of the outcome

My thai wifes opinion is that her kid brother would have done a better job

We are not interested in the second hand opinion of your wife, whether she is Thai or of any other nationality. Do you have an opinion of your own or can you only see through your wife's eyes?

No one knew in advance what would be the extent of this year 2011 annual rainy season only those reading what was coming from other Asian countries like Philippines/Vietnam/Cambodia ( since 75% inundated )could anticipate.

All to busy CAMPAIGNING and no appropriate water management in place of course......That is the TRUTH !

<br />
<br />Abhisit shouldn't slam anyone. The floods were going on when he was PM and he didn't do anything either except ride around in a boat and have his picture taken. He's a slime ball. He's still crying because he was thrown out of the PM position and can't stand it that the people do not want him. Except the Bangkok elite of course.<br />
<br />When as Abhisit riding around in a boat as PM during these floods?  The flooding didn't start until the beginning of August, and that was only in the North and North East.  It didn't start flooding badly in most of the central areas until mid September.<br /><br />You can hate the guy if you want, but do get your facts right.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Stop trying to blame the floods on bad weather radars.

That is total foolishness, or intentionally spurious distracting disinformation.

What was coming was well observed and reported

by several means, well in advance. Those in the know reported

to those above, but clearly were ignored for politicized reasons.

The flood was created AFTERWARDS by mismanagement,

but now they are trying to spin the blame to several other parties,

who are trying to spin that spin elsewhere and pad their budgets in the process.

PS. Ignore the trolling you'll have a happier life.

Edited by animatic

That is total foolishness, or intentionally spurious distracting disinformation.

who are trying to spin that spin elsewhere and pad their budgets in the process.

doubtful - each government had a chance to really take seriously risk management and they chose not to - Abhisit as well as those before

But we all know that if the dems were in power when the flood started then Abhisit would have put his finger in the dyke and solved it all straight away. :whistling:

You mean he would've taken his his thumb out of his arse and shifted his brain from neutral without waiting for an invitation? :rolleyes:

or before or after the BMA allowed canals to silt up, become inoperative, be built over etc etc

Again it's a question of calendars and split responsibilities. Bangkok was prepared and setup the defenses as it does every year the Chao Praya floods. As far as I'm aware the BMA is not in charge of rivers or canals that fall under the RID - Royal Irrigation Department but I am sure we will see when the review is undertaken.

When the waters reached Bangkok and the floodgates held them back, some people squarked "We are wet and they are dry" - well, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi and all other provinces that waited and watched, it's smell the coffee time for your governors and MPs.

I feel sure that Aphisit went to the Maldives for a well earned rest as well as to understand better the effect of very low lying lands surrounded by rising water. After all, when you've had red idiots screaming outside your private house trying to break in to your car and kill you and your driver, throwing AIDS tainted blood and bags of shit in your garden, you're entitled to a break.

doubtful - each government had a chance to really take seriously risk management and they chose not to - Abhisit as well as those before

I completely agree. It is well known. You don't plan ahead for a disaster. You wait until the disaster occurs then plan ahead.

Very good comment and is almost same as I already said weeks ago , he is also responsible for this mess while he was PM .

Again it's a question of calendars and split responsibilities. Bangkok was prepared and setup the defenses as it does every year the Chao Praya floods. As far as I'm aware the BMA is not in charge of rivers or canals that fall under the RID - Royal Irrigation Department but I am sure we will see when the review is undertaken.

When the waters reached Bangkok and the floodgates held them back, some people squarked "We are wet and they are dry" - well, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi and all other provinces that waited and watched, it's smell the coffee time for your governors and MPs.

I feel sure that Aphisit went to the Maldives for a well earned rest as well as to understand better the effect of very low lying lands surrounded by rising water. After all, when you've had red idiots screaming outside your private house trying to break in to your car and kill you and your driver, throwing AIDS tainted blood and bags of shit in your garden, you're entitled to a break.

Bangkok was ready 4 months before the current government was even aware it was raining outside.

http://www.thaivisa....-summer-storms/

Very good comment and is almost same as I already said weeks ago , he is also responsible for this mess while he was PM .

Except for the fact that he wasn't PM when this mess started.

Yingluck couldn't stop the floods. There was simply too much water.

BUT, she was in charge of relief management and communication when the floods did arrive. There is only her and her government to blame for that.

But we all know that if the dems were in power when the flood started then Abhisit would have put his finger in the dyke and solved it all straight away. :whistling:

You mean he would've taken his his thumb out of his arse and shifted his brain from neutral without waiting for an invitation? :rolleyes:

And indeed if he'd still been PM, he wouldn't have needed to wait an invitation, but he isn't so he did. ;)