Does Wife Need A Return Ticket To Enter Uk On Visitors Visa?

Title says it all really,

My wife has got her first visa for the UK (Visitors visa) and we will be going to the UK for a holiday over xmas to visit family. Do we need to buy a return ticket or is it ok to enter on a single?

I only ask because we are unsure of the exact date we will be returning.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

EVA Air do open returns. They are direct so easier for the missus as no messing around changing planes, and also have a promotion, but be aware of blackout dates.

When I took my wife she was never asked to produce a return ticket, but I was traveling with her at the time.

Just read again and seems you will be going together so should not be a problem, Qatar also have a special deal on until March, a change in Doha. Remember to ask the Immigration officer in the UK if your wife can go through the same channel as you, as will make it quicker, last time I went the queue for non EU Passports was about 400people long maybe more.

Edited by beano2274

Cheers Beano,

Your right we will be travelling together and also with our 14 month old son, so EVA is looking like the best bet all round at the moment.

Just looked at both websites and am being quoted 81,830THB from EVA for a 3 month flexible return and 89,610 for Qatar for set dates with the option to change at a later date (76,540 for the least flexible option).

I am sure they will let us through immigration together, I'll be having words if they dont!

I cant book anything quite yet as I am offshore at the moment and the project completion keeps slipping to the right. hoping to be travelling around the 20th Dec.

Thanks for the advice

Chris

When I went home, I got my wife to line up in the Non EU passport line, whilst I went into the EU Line, when I got to the officer I asked him politely if she could join me although she did not have an EU passport, he told me that as we were traveling together it would be okay, but always ask first. With a small baby they will always say yes.

Eva prices are good, and considering it is direct maybe the better option, but I like to have a break to stretch the legs. If you want another tip, I would check Aeroflot, they are improving very quickly and prices are very competitive.

check www.airlinequality.com to read reviews of the airlines, makes the decision easier, also get the missus to check on thai blogs about what Thais say about the airlines. (We used Etihad last time to the UK, next time is gonna probably be Aeroflot to Paris, then Eurostar to the UK, then onwards to Somerset, and back again for a few days in Paris).

a good way to check prices is to use itasoftware.com, but you cannot purchase the tickets there but it will give you an idea of the costs.

Edited by beano2274

simple answer is no, as long as she leaves within the visa time all ok. i had problem at check in at BKK refused boarding, i had e mailed UK border agency who replied, saying one way was ok as long as she left within the term of the visa. showed that to clerk who checked it out. came back let us check in, just b4 boarding called me up an i had to sign waiver for airline to say if she was refused i would stand the price of her return.

Personally i would e mail UK border agency, get e mail and take it to airport with you.

worked for me, without it she would not have been allowed to travel.

i use kayak.co.uk but guess there all getting same deals.

Edited by marstons

More good advice, thanks chaps.

I will email the border agency, better to be safe than sorry.

EVA is still looking the best option. Kingfisher were offering good deals a few weeks ago but they seem to have dried up now, shame they are supposed to be a good airline.

Just looked at Aeroflot and was quoted £1500 so not much cheaper than direct with EVA and it will be full of Russians so think i will give them a miss.

I will keep looking, as mentioned before it will be a couple of weeks before i am able to book anything anyway.

Visitors entering the UK do not need a return or onward ticket; but may be asked by an immigration officer at their port of entry to produce one or evidence that they have the funds to purchase one. If you cannot produce either then she could be refused entry.

As said, the main problem may be checking in with the airline; they may refuse to carry her without a return ticket as they could suffer financial penalties if they carry her and she is refused entry.

Most airlines do an open ended return, or one with a changeable return date.

She does not have a right to enter the UK via the EU line, but, as said, if you ask first the IO on duty is unlikely to refuse; especially as she will be traveling with her British husband and baby.

I would avoid Aeroflot; I've been told that they have a habit of not holding connecting flights if yours is delayed, or even canceling them!

Visitors entering the UK do not need a return or onward ticket; but may be asked by an immigration officer at their port of entry to produce one or evidence that they have the funds to purchase one. If you cannot produce either then she could be refused entry.

As said, the main problem may be checking in with the airline; they may refuse to carry her without a return ticket as they could suffer financial penalties if they carry her and she is refused entry.

Most airlines do an open ended return, or one with a changeable return date.

She does not have a right to enter the UK via the EU line, but, as said, if you ask first the IO on duty is unlikely to refuse; especially as she will be traveling with her British husband and baby.

I would avoid Aeroflot; I've been told that they have a habit of not holding connecting flights if yours is delayed, or even canceling them!

The stopovers with Aeroflot to the UK from BKK are 2 hours or more, return around 1.10. So holding flights will not be a problem.

Edited by beano2274

Kingfisher means a lot of hassles when transiting.

Kingfisher are in financial difficulties and have been cancelling fliights lately.

A friend of mine was due fly back to Bangkok earlier this month on Kingfisher and his flight was cancelled, he was

re-booked onto an Air India flight two later, which he didn't enjoy.

I travelled back to the uk with my wife in March of this year,i had purchased 2 one way tickets with jet airways,when we check in at Bangkok they wanted proof that we were married,luckily i had the red book with our marriage certificate in it,and all was ok. At heathrow we both went through the uk passport holders queue with no problems. The reason i bought 2 singles was that it was cheaper to buy 2 returns in England,1200gbp came back in september,then return to uk in April next year.

The stopovers with Aeroflot to the UK from BKK are 2 hours or more, return around 1.10. So holding flights will not be a problem.

The information was given to me by my regular agent at Flight Centre; who said that they do not use Aeroflot for this and other reasons of unreliability.

I also know someone who booked with them only to arrive in Moscow to find that their connection to BKK had been canceled and they had to wait 24 hours for the next one. The reason? Neither flight was full enough to make them profitable, so they combined them!

But, you pays your money and you makes your choice.

I travelled back to the uk with my wife in March of this year,i had purchased 2 one way tickets with jet airways,when we check in at Bangkok they wanted proof that we were married,luckily i had the red book with our marriage certificate in it,and all was ok. At heathrow we both went through the uk passport holders queue with no problems. The reason i bought 2 singles was that it was cheaper to buy 2 returns in England,1200gbp came back in september,then return to uk in April next year.

You can buy a return ticket from Bangkok to London from a UK travel agency. It's usually cheaper than buying the same ticket here. Try TravelHouse they provide a range of options and related links. You can book direct with DialaFlight but they do not provide an email link.

You can buy a return ticket from Bangkok to London from a UK travel agency. It's usually cheaper than buying the same ticket here. Try TravelHouse they provide a range of options and related links. You can book direct with DialaFlight but they do not provide an email link.

I just had a look at Travel House, and the only departure options were from the UK. :(

It isn't an issue, but I would have a return booking made, just buy a class which permits you to make a change on the return leg.

I can't understand you even considering buying a one way ticket.

My TGF was asked about when she would be going back by immigration at Manchester.

Edited by jacko45k

Cheers Beano,

Your right we will be travelling together and also with our 14 month old son, so EVA is looking like the best bet all round at the moment.

Just looked at both websites and am being quoted 81,830THB from EVA for a 3 month flexible return and 89,610 for Qatar for set dates with the option to change at a later date (76,540 for the least flexible option).

I am sure they will let us through immigration together, I'll be having words if they dont!

I cant book anything quite yet as I am offshore at the moment and the project completion keeps slipping to the right. hoping to be travelling around the 20th Dec.

Thanks for the advice

Chris

No need to have words with UK Immigration about taking non-EU spouse through EU channel with you. They actually insist you do this because it makes it easier for them to identify and quizz the British spouse - always politely and unobtrusively in my experience. My Thai wife has been asked to show her return ticket by UK immigration a couple of times. They would probably let her in without one, if you can give a good enough explanation, but for me it would not be worth the risk of being refused entry or just getting hassled. Apart from open tickets, you can often book and change dates later either free or for a fee. Having a firm date would look better to an immigration officer, rather than a lot of vague waffle about not knowing when she might go back.