Net Income

bobbysan124

Am about to give it a go with the girlfriend and her daughter in Nakhon Phanom. Have visited her village in the Pla Pak District a few times and the family and friends have always been welcoming and comfortable for me.

Have a net income of about 85 - 90K baht a month from pension, veteran's benefit, and social security. Also have some income from royalties (I write) that I won't consider since I never know how much they'll be.

I think this should afford a reasonably comfortable lifestyle in Thailand in general, and the village in particular.

Am I right? Welcome any constructive comments.

Edited by bobbysan124

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will be able to live a very good lifestyle with that amount. Life should be good.

When I moved here was getting getting 45 baht to the dollar, now its currently 31. Figured when I retired inflation would eventualy get me, not currency devaluation- Even with decline in value of dollar, its still reasonable to live up here.

Hello,

yes, your income should be comfortable.

I am still active and spending my time between Malaysia (where I work) and Nakhon Phanom (Village of my GF). I will be there second part of december. Will be pleased to meet you if you are there. Send me a Private Message.

Jerrytheyoung

Hello,

yes, your income should be comfortable.

I am still active and spending my time between Malaysia (where I work) and Nakhon Phanom (Village of my GF). I will be there second part of december. Will be pleased to meet you if you are there. Send me a Private Message.

Jerrytheyoung

Won't be there at that time, but will certainly keep your offer in mind. Thanks for reply.

You have too much to stay in the village :D

Ok, your girlfriend will help you when you have problems to spend the amount. :rolleyes:

Sure you can live at most places in Thailand with 85k.

You're probably right. :)

Fortunately, she's always been great about not letting me spend too much on things she knows can be had for much less. Appreciate the comment.

You will be able to live a very good lifestyle with that amount. Life should be good.

When I moved here was getting getting 45 baht to the dollar, now its currently 31. Figured when I retired inflation would eventualy get me, not currency devaluation- Even with decline in value of dollar, its still reasonable to live up here.

Thanks bkk. Out of curiosity, not sure how long you've been in country, but what is the lowest exchange rate you've experienced in your time?

Thanks bkk. Out of curiosity, not sure how long you've been in country, but what is the lowest exchange rate you've experienced in your time?

24 point something.

It was always around the 25 mark, depending on the size of the note changed, more for larger notes.

I believe years ago, '70s it was around the 20 mark.

It was only after the '97 crash that we saw 40+.

24 point something.

It was always around the 25 mark, depending on the size of the note changed, more for larger notes.

Thanks again, bkk. Appreciate the info.

24 point something.

I got 20-$1 in 1976.

<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>You will be able to live a very good lifestyle with that amount. Life should be good.<BR>When I moved here was getting getting 45 baht to the dollar, now its currently 31. Figured when I retired inflation would eventualy get me, not currency devaluation- Even with decline in value of dollar, its still reasonable to live up here.<BR>
<BR><BR>Thanks bkk. Out of curiosity, not sure how long you've been in country, but what is the lowest exchange rate you've experienced in your time?<BR>
<BR><BR><BR><BR>24 point something.<BR>It was always around the 25 mark, depending on the size of the note changed, more for larger notes.<BR>I believe years ago, '70s it was around the 20 mark.<BR><BR>It was only after the '97 crash that we saw 40+.<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>I got 20-$1 in 1976.<BR>
<BR>

So, it seems like 20 - 30 or so is where the exchange rate can reasonably be expected to float. Thanks.

Edited by bobbysan124

Have to say I don't know how some people get by here. Live in a village, no mortgage, hardly any tax, always broke, not out on the town every night, as towns 140 away, 2 kids and can't seem to live on 90,00 a month. didn't spend that much when living in OZ. Guess that like everyone in the world just live beyond your means. Jim

Better check your wallet for holes James!

The few years I had in Ubon city I never kept a budget and spent money as often as I could. Rented the most expensive house, ran a car and motorbike, ate out every day (never caring about the restaurant prices) had internet and sat TV, caught tuk tuks all the time, flights to bangkok, hired a nanny etc etc and at a guess I would think my average monthly spend was more then likely around 50,000 baht. (This is with 2 kids as well).

Better check your wallet for holes James!

The few years I had in Ubon city I never kept a budget and spent money as often as I could. Rented the most expensive house, ran a car and motorbike, ate out every day (never caring about the restaurant prices) had internet and sat TV, caught tuk tuks all the time, flights to bangkok, hired a nanny etc etc and at a guess I would think my average monthly spend was more then likely around 50,000 baht. (This is with 2 kids as well).

Know what you are saying and have said to the wife it would be cheaper to live in town. Not really and option at the moment. 90,000 sounds a lot, but after car payments, fuel 200 a day to take the kid to school and my massive 3000 Baht. electricity bill. There is no change out of 30,000 Baht, then comes the plain living expenses, it all adds up and food etc costs more in a village then in Tescos. Things break, TV, motorbikes fridges etc, the bills just keep coming. Jim

Bobby,

Living in Issan is much cheaper than other parts of Thailand as there are no tourists to gouge. You mentioned that you are a verteran. If you are an American veteran we have a VFW Post in Undon Thani with about 200 members. If you are an Ameican vet I would suggest you join the Post. They can help in many ways and explain your benefits here in Thailand and if you every get married can help your spouse get a widows pension when you die. If you are intersted PM me and I can get you the Post Commanders email address.

rokit

Bobby,

Living in Issan is much cheaper than other parts of Thailand as there are no tourists to gouge. You mentioned that you are a verteran. If you are an American veteran we have a VFW Post in Undon Thani with about 200 members. If you are an Ameican vet I would suggest you join the Post. They can help in many ways and explain your benefits here in Thailand and if you every get married can help your spouse get a widows pension when you die. If you are intersted PM me and I can get you the Post Commanders email address.

rokit

Thanks, Rdrokit. I am an American vet and appreciate the info. Will definitely keep that in mind.

Have to say I don't know how some people get by here. Live in a village, no mortgage, hardly any tax, always broke, not out on the town every night, as towns 140 away, 2 kids and can't seem to live on 90,00 a month. didn't spend that much when living in OZ. Guess that like everyone in the world just live beyond your means. Jim

Thanks for comment, James. It is funny how money always seems to flow out much more easily than in.

Seems like 20 is the low-water mark. Thanks.

24 point something.

I got 20-$1 in 1976.

that is a very interesting post you make as are the replies so far , i wonder what the average is amongst forum members ? i guess it does vary as James posted ... if you are mortgage free , car loan free etc also the number of dependants and the distance to town .... i am hoping to do it all for around 50k but i will be debt free and 30 mins away from a decent supermarket with one child on board ... my sis in law married to a Farang does it for 15k per month one child , no loans ...... i guess i will find out ....

that is a very interesting post you make as are the replies so far , i wonder what the average is amongst forum members ? i guess it does vary as James posted ... if you are mortgage free , car loan free etc also the number of dependants and the distance to town .... i am hoping to do it all for around 50k but i will be debt free and 30 mins away from a decent supermarket with one child on board ... my sis in law married to a Farang does it for 15k per month one child , no loans ...... i guess i will find out ....

These sort of questions usually turn into a pissing contest.

This impresses me, "my sis in law married to a Farang does it for 15k per month", is the farang living here full time, or is this what she spends when the farang isnt here?

My reason for asking is, the mrs and I are at least 10k per month before either of us get out of bed and put food on the table, this figure is limited only to regular bills such as, water gas and electric, car insurance and house insurance, and annual health insurance for both of us.

Everything else is extra and not included.

Its worthwhile, no make that essential you have an emergency fund, in the last few months I have spent, 6k on a crown for my tooth, about the same for a new water pump, I would sure hate to be living on a budget where if a simple emergency arose I would be stuffed.

In essence, I am in the same position as yourself, so your 50k has now been reduced to 40k, are you expected to give the mrs an allowance of say 10k per month? thats you now down to 30k per month, putting aside say 10k per month for emergencies you are now left with 20k per month, does it still sound appealing?

Of course there are many with no health/accident insurance, no house insurance, etc etc, its not for me to tell others how to live their life, but for me these are essentials, call it peace of mind, its sure helps me sleep at night.

I agree, cdm. It would be interesting to hear how much many other folks are able to "live nicely" on. And let's face it, you want to live nicely, right? Don't want to "just get by."

Thanks for reply and good luck to you and yours.

These sort of questions usually turn into a pissing contest.

This impresses me, "my sis in law married to a Farang does it for 15k per month", is the farang living here full time, or is this what she spends when the farang isnt here?

My reason for asking is, the mrs and I are at least 10k per month before either of us get out of bed and put food on the table, this figure is limited only to regular bills such as, water gas and electric, car insurance and house insurance, and annual health insurance for both of us.

Everything else is extra and not included.

Its worthwhile, no make that essential you have an emergency fund, in the last few months I have spent, 6k on a crown for my tooth, about the same for a new water pump, I would sure hate to be living on a budget where if a simple emergency arose I would be stuffed.

In essence, I am in the same position as yourself, so your 50k has now been reduced to 40k, are you expected to give the mrs an allowance of say 10k per month? thats you now down to 30k per month, putting aside say 10k per month for emergencies you are now left with 20k per month, does it still sound appealing?

Of course there are many with no health/accident insurance, no house insurance, etc etc, its not for me to tell others how to live their life, but for me these are essentials, call it peace of mind, its sure helps me sleep at night.

Speaking for myself, rgs, I certainly wan't trying to get a pissing contest started, but I do agree with your premise about not just getting by as I stated earlier. And as you said, there are a lot of variables within each of our situations that would come into play.

Like you, I have always had good health insurance etc. and other "essentials" that I don't ever intend to forego. And, you're right, it's always prudent to have a "rainy day" fund set aside.

Still, I think it's interesting to hear what others are able to live on within the parameters of what they consider to be acceptable, even without knowing all the details.

Appreciate your contribution to the discussion.

Edited by bobbysan124

I know an Englishman, lives in east Pattaya now and has done for 23 years. He is now ~70 years old and, apart from the bank deposit to facilitate his retirement visa, he lives almost exclusively on his meager UK pension, plus the bit and pieces his wife of 25 years can make selling som tam and sewing/repairs for friends.

His house? Bedroom /living room, bathroom, hallway/storage and an outside Thai style kitchen with two ring gas cooker. Rents for 2,000 baht/month + 300-500 power and water bills. 95% Thai estate, poor people even by Thai standards but so what?

He runs a broken down old motorsai, goes for a beer with his mates two or three times a week and yet he is content. I wouldnt describe him as the happiest person I've ever met, but probably the most honest, and without a doubt, the least materialistic.

He has a good circle of friends, some richer (well, all richer, but that's not the point). His wife takes good care of him and their children live locally and visit every day. He still has his health, a devoted wife, well-raised and appreciative adult children and a circle of good friends. What more does he want? Nothing. He's a genuine guy. Add to that a wicked sense of self-deprecating humour and you have someone who is enjoyable to pass the time of day with.

And I have never heard him grumble about the hand life has dealt him. I'm not saying or implying that everyone could live the way he does, but I have met many foreigners with much greater funds that live a less satisfying life. Myself included while I was there. I envy him his peace of mind. He may not have material wealth but he has the kind of 'wealth' that money cannot buy: Happiness.

Just a thought in a thread about money...

Simon

Edited by SimonD

I know an Englishman, lives in east Pattaya now and has done for 23 years. He is now ~70 years old and, apart from the bank deposit to facilitate his retirement visa, he lives almost exclusively on his meager UK pension, plus the bit and pieces his wife of 25 years can make selling som tam and sewing/repairs for friends.

His house? Bedroom /living room, bathroom, hallway/storage and an outside Thai style kitchen with two ring gas cooker. Rents for 2,000 baht/month + 300-500 power and water bills. 95% Thai estate, poor people even by Thai standards but so what?

He runs a broken down old motorsai, goes for a beer with his mates two or three times a week and yet he is content. I wouldnt describe him as the happiest person I've ever met, but probably the most honest, and without a doubt, the least materialistic.

He has a good circle of friends, some richer (well, all richer, but that's not the point). His wife takes good care of him and their children live locally and visit every day. He still has his health, a devoted wife, well-raised and appreciative adult children and a circle of good friends. What more does he want? Nothing. He's a genuine guy. Add to that a wicked sense of self-deprecating humour and you have someone who is enjoyable to pass the time of day with.

And I have never heard him grumble about the hand life has dealt him. I'm not saying or implying that everyone could live the way he does, but I have met many foreigners with much greater funds that live a less satisfying life. Myself included while I was there. I envy him his peace of mind. He may not have material wealth but he has the kind of 'wealth' that money cannot buy: Happiness.

Just a thought in a thread about money...

Simon

Good post! :thumbsup:

You don't have to be rich to be happy, but I'm sure it'll help some........ :D