Bank Scam

Robroy

This happened to me last week in a bank in the Bang Sue Tesco centre. (The bank with the purple insignias - I've forgotten their name.)

I'd just changed some USD into baht when a coin fell to the floor. So I put the baht down on a table inside the bank so I could check if I had a hole in my pocket.

After I'd put the baht back in my pocket a guy blocked my exit at the bank door & started talking loudly to me in Thai.

The security guard came over, & the guy then addressed all the tellers - pointing at me. They all looked shocked, so I assumed this wasn't good news.

The guard sat us both down in chairs. I asked one teller if she spoke English. She said yes - then fled, asking me to wait for her return.

I began eyeballing my accuser.

Nothing happened for 10 minutes. I got up & told the guard I had to leave. He told me I had to stay.

But then my accuser got up & told him something like, 'Let's forget it'. He then walked out, & I was allowed to go.

I think the guy was telling the bank staff that the money on the table was his, & that I'd pocketed it. But the long wait & me eyeballing him seem to have broken his nerve.

I'd guess that this chap tries this at many banks around BKK.

So I put the baht down on a table inside the bank so I could check if I had a hole in my pocket

So you put a wad of Baht on the table to check your pocket for a hole. Did you have to use both of your hands to do that? You're lucky the guy didn't take your money and just left.. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've seen both locals and foreigners try a similar one. Not sure if they were criminals in each case, as some folks seemed drunk or at least 'on something.' They claim to have made payment, usually in a convenient store, with a larger bill than they really paid for. Insert rapid fire angry accusations. Surely the clerk knows they have cctv 'protection' but I imagine they are hoping luck out and get a jittery or newbie cashier. They can probably claim 'honest mistake' if the cashier calls for the 'instant replay' on cctv.

:)

I've always heard Thailand has very strong defamation laws, will it work in this case ?

If it was me, a guy who shout in a public place where people may know me that I'm a thief, I wouldn't let him go before he seriously explains his case.

Hard to believe that someone regularly hangs around in banks just waiting for a customer to draw some cash and put it down on a desk whilst checking his pockets (how often does that happen?) then accuse the customer of stealing the cash.

What could he possibly gain? CCTV cameras would inevitably show the truth.

My guess would be that this was some sort of misunderstanding, language or otherwise.

Brings to mind Douglas Adams 'biscuits' story - worth reading if you don't know it already:-

This actually did happen to a real person, and the real person is me. I had gone to catch a train. This was April 1976, in Cambridge, U.K. I was a bit early for the train. I’d gotten the time of the train wrong. I went to get myself a newspaper to do the crossword, and a cup of coffee and a packet of biscuits. I went and sat at a table. I want you to picture the scene. It’s very important that you get this very clear in your mind. Here’s the table, newspaper, cup of coffee, packet of biscuits. There’s a guy sitting opposite me, perfectly ordinary-looking guy wearing a business suit, carrying a briefcase. It didn’t look like he was going to do anything weird. What he did was this: he suddenly leaned across, picked up the packet of biscuits, tore it open, took one out, and ate it.

Now this, I have to say, is the sort of thing the British are very bad at dealing with. There’s nothing in our background, upbringing, or education that teaches you how to deal with someone who in broad daylight has just stolen your biscuits. You know what would happen if this had been South Central Los Angeles. There would have very quickly been gunfire, helicopters coming in, CNN, you know… But in the end, I did what any red-blooded Englishman would do: I ignored it. And I stared at the newspaper, took a sip of coffee, tried to do a clue in the newspaper, couldn’t do anything, and thought, What am I going to do?

In the end I thought Nothing for it, I’ll just have to go for it, and I tried very hard not to notice the fact that the packet was already mysteriously opened. I took out a biscuit for myself. I thought, That settled him. But it hadn’t because a moment or two later he did it again. He took another biscuit. Having not mentioned it the first time, it was somehow even harder to raise the subject the second time around. “Excuse me, I couldn’t help but notice…” I mean, it doesn’t really work.

We went through the whole packet like this. When I say the whole packet, I mean there were only about eight biscuits, but it felt like a lifetime. He took one, I took one, he took one, I took one. Finally, when we got to the end, he stood up and walked away. Well, we exchanged meaningful looks, then he walked away, and I breathed a sigh of relief and sat back.

A moment or two later the train was coming in, so I tossed back the rest of my coffee, stood up, picked up the newspaper, and underneath the newspaper were my biscuits. The thing I like particularly about this story is the sensation that somewhere in England there has been wandering around for the last quarter-century a perfectly ordinary guy who’s had the same exact story, only he doesn’t have the punch line.

-Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

“Biscuits”

• Like 1

Hard to believe that someone regularly hangs around in banks just waiting for a customer to draw some cash and put it down on a desk whilst checking his pockets (how often does that happen?) then accuse the customer of stealing the cash.

My guess would be that this was some sort of misunderstanding, language or otherwise.

Brings to mind Douglas Adams 'biscuits' story - worth reading if you don't know it already:-

This actually did happen to a real person, and the real person is me. I had gone to catch a train. This was April 1976, in Cambridge, U.K. I was a bit early for the train. I'd gotten the time of the train wrong. I went to get myself a newspaper to do the crossword, and a cup of coffee and a packet of biscuits. I went and sat at a table. I want you to picture the scene. It's very important that you get this very clear in your mind. Here's the table, newspaper, cup of coffee, packet of biscuits. There's a guy sitting opposite me, perfectly ordinary-looking guy wearing a business suit, carrying a briefcase. It didn't look like he was going to do anything weird. What he did was this: he suddenly leaned across, picked up the packet of biscuits, tore it open, took one out, and ate it.

Now this, I have to say, is the sort of thing the British are very bad at dealing with. There's nothing in our background, upbringing, or education that teaches you how to deal with someone who in broad daylight has just stolen your biscuits. You know what would happen if this had been South Central Los Angeles. There would have very quickly been gunfire, helicopters coming in, CNN, you know… But in the end, I did what any red-blooded Englishman would do: I ignored it. And I stared at the newspaper, took a sip of coffee, tried to do a clue in the newspaper, couldn't do anything, and thought, What am I going to do?

In the end I thought Nothing for it, I'll just have to go for it, and I tried very hard not to notice the fact that the packet was already mysteriously opened. I took out a biscuit for myself. I thought, That settled him. But it hadn't because a moment or two later he did it again. He took another biscuit. Having not mentioned it the first time, it was somehow even harder to raise the subject the second time around. "Excuse me, I couldn't help but notice…" I mean, it doesn't really work.

We went through the whole packet like this. When I say the whole packet, I mean there were only about eight biscuits, but it felt like a lifetime. He took one, I took one, he took one, I took one. Finally, when we got to the end, he stood up and walked away. Well, we exchanged meaningful looks, then he walked away, and I breathed a sigh of relief and sat back.

A moment or two later the train was coming in, so I tossed back the rest of my coffee, stood up, picked up the newspaper, and underneath the newspaper were my biscuits. The thing I like particularly about this story is the sensation that somewhere in England there has been wandering around for the last quarter-century a perfectly ordinary guy who's had the same exact story, only he doesn't have the punch line.

"Biscuits"

Classic!:lol: :lol: :blink::lol: Haven't seen that one long time...

@ GrahamF:

"You mean a possible lese majeste violation?"

Very possible. Sole of foot (unclean), on coin bearing the image of His Majesty the King. I've seen similar offence taken at banknotes folded lengthways (so that the crease cuts through the King's image). Same for notes that have been crumpled-up into a ball. Shows lack of respect and awareness.

I believe it may also explain why Thai banks and businesses are so reluctant to accept any note that has the slightest damage or tear in it: all notes and coins are seen as Royal Images and must be treated with due reverance and care.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Edited by SimonD

This actually did happen to a real person, and the real person is me. I had gone to catch a train. This was April 1976, in Cambridge, U.K. I was a bit early for the train. I'd gotten the time of the train wrong. I went to get myself a newspaper to do the crossword, and a cup of coffee and a packet of biscuits. I went and sat at a table. I want you to picture the scene. It's very important that you get this very clear in your mind. Here's the table, newspaper, cup of coffee, packet of biscuits. There's a guy sitting opposite me, perfectly ordinary-looking guy wearing a business suit, carrying a briefcase. It didn't look like he was going to do anything weird. What he did was this: he suddenly leaned across, picked up the packet of biscuits, tore it open, took one out, and ate it.

Now this, I have to say, is the sort of thing the British are very bad at dealing with. There's nothing in our background, upbringing, or education that teaches you how to deal with someone who in broad daylight has just stolen your biscuits. You know what would happen if this had been South Central Los Angeles. There would have very quickly been gunfire, helicopters coming in, CNN, you know… But in the end, I did what any red-blooded Englishman would do: I ignored it. And I stared at the newspaper, took a sip of coffee, tried to do a clue in the newspaper, couldn't do anything, and thought, What am I going to do?

In the end I thought Nothing for it, I'll just have to go for it, and I tried very hard not to notice the fact that the packet was already mysteriously opened. I took out a biscuit for myself. I thought, That settled him. But it hadn't because a moment or two later he did it again. He took another biscuit. Having not mentioned it the first time, it was somehow even harder to raise the subject the second time around. "Excuse me, I couldn't help but notice…" I mean, it doesn't really work.

A moment or two later the train was coming in, so I tossed back the rest of my coffee, stood up, picked up the newspaper, and underneath the newspaper were my biscuits. The thing I like particularly about this story is the sensation that somewhere in England there has been wandering around for the last quarter-century a perfectly ordinary guy who's had the same exact story, only he doesn't have the punch line.

"Biscuits"

Ha ha ! Thanks for that - I've started the day with a smile. :D

After I'd put the baht back in my pocket a guy blocked my exit at the bank door & started talking loudly to me in Thai.

The security guard came over, & the guy then addressed all the tellers - pointing at me. They all looked shocked, so I assumed this wasn't good news.

The guard sat us both down in chairs. I asked one teller if she spoke English. She said yes - then fled, asking me to wait for her return.

I began eyeballing my accuser.

Nothing happened for 10 minutes. I got up & told the guard I had to leave. He told me I had to stay.

But then my accuser got up & told him something like, 'Let's forget it'. He then walked out, & I was allowed to go.

Quite obviously it was the annual " Krung Thai Bank Royal Rumble Stare-A-Thon 2011", the bloke challenged you to a staring competition, announced his intention to the tellers to " kick the foreigner's cracker barrel butt in a stare-out", the security guard was acting as the referee and the bloke conceded defeat after 10 minutes, saying to the guard " That westerner just opened a can of whoop-ass on me" and left having lost face.

Trying to steal your money? I've never heard such <deleted>. :D

Edited by mca

when the coin dropped onto the floor, did you by any chance stop it rolling with your foot??

Simon

You mean a possible lese majeste violation?

Yes, Simon43 is correct. This was the problem. Thais even get upset when someone does not keep their baht bills in order with the Royal's picture always facing out. ;)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Very possible. Sole of foot (unclean), on coin bearing the image of His Majesty the King. I've seen similar offence taken at banknotes folded lengthways (so that the crease cuts through the King's image). Same for notes that have been crumpled-up into a ball. Shows lack of respect and awareness.

Haven't heard the note folding thing before, but I recently showed a Thai friend the old trick of how to "

" only using a Thai banknote - loved it. biggrin.gif

"Biscuits"

Excellent :lol:

Edited by fletchsmile

So I put the baht down on a table inside the bank so I could check if I had a hole in my pocket

So you put a wad of Baht on the table to check your pocket for a hole. Did you have to use both of your hands to do that? You're lucky the guy didn't take your money and just left.. :rolleyes:

lol...seriously who does that? Did you check the hole is your ass while you were at it?

Aye but RobRoy was Scottish ---- tight buggers --- he didnt mention that when he bent to pick it up that it struck him on the back of the head............ :whistling:

when the coin dropped onto the floor, did you by any chance stop it rolling with your foot??

Simon

Yes, Simon43 is correct. This was the problem. Thais even get upset when someone does not keep their baht bills in order with the Royal's picture always facing out. ;)

Strange how that never seems to apply when I'm shelling out banknotes on someone......Never ever gets mentioned.

Simon

This made me think I have been here too long as I thought of how I straighten out 100 baht notes put them in order with the "king" facing up before paying a bill !!!

I can't see where the scam is here ?

You have just changed up some Dollars for baht so will have a receipt for the amount of money you have. The guy saying the money is his would have no receipt. I fail to see why you stayed there at all ?

My thoughts right througout the post - The bank staff must have been aware that you had just changed money ?? Thank goodness for the Arnotts ditty put some reality into the thread.

Edited by metisdead

Simon

Strange how that never seems to apply when I'm shelling out banknotes on someone......Never ever gets mentioned.

I guess you have never noticed that Thais do not go out of their way to be confrontational, but that does not mean that they are not offended.

Ulysess G

I cant quote you but you are utterly and totally wrong !!!! NOT Confrontational.....Well let me tell you a story !!

A story that proved Thais are nothing BUT confrontational when it suits them.....

Offended by money folded in a certain way !! Where do you people reside ?? Certainly not outside of Thailand !

I'm sorry, but a story about one Thai person is not necessarily reflective of most of them and of course it depends on what the problem is.

I have seen many Thai people avoiding confrontation when they were offended by something or someone, but it was not too serious a matter for them personally (like seeing some farang not folding money "properly").

Simon

Which way's facing out? Towards me or away from me?

I know I'm a very conscientious sorter of banknotes, in descending order from 1000 baht notes on the outside, but I thought that was just me being obsessive-compulsive. Didn't realize the Thais are all O-C as well.

Never thought about the way the king's picture faces, though. :huh:

It seems to me as though the Op thought he dropped the Coin. In reality the Thai chappy dropped it.

There is possibly now a Thai chappy thinking ill of all foreigners due to the cheap charlie who stole his 10 baht coin in the bank !

Stepping on Coins: I did that once, the audible gasps were noted. I tried to point out that its better than the coin rolling down the drain...

Folding notes / Notes facing out: thats a new one for me.