Possibly The Wrong Stamp On My Visa, Help!

Hi all,

So I need a little advice, apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for on the rest of the forum. I've been staying in Bangkok, Thailand on a non O multiple entry visa. My visa was issued in November last year. I returned to the uk for 3 months and came back to Bangkok in October, 29 days before my visa was due to expire. I spoke to the embassy in the uk before flying and they told me that, as my visa was due to expire in November, I would get 90 days extension from the date I arrived in the country.

Now forgive my lack of savvy on this subject, but until yesterday (upon acceptance for a job here), I never thought to check my passport at all, but it seems the guy at the airport simply stamped it with a 14 day job and left it so that it looks like my visa still expires/expired on 11th November. I'm now in a serious quandary as it looks like I've over stayed by 21 days, which incurs a substantial charge, as you probably know. In not certain on the likelihood of the guys at the immigration office admitting there was a mistake made and sorting it out for me, or will they just sting me with the 10k+ charge and boot me out?!

Your thoughts, knowledge and experience on this matter will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Dave

If you returned before the 'enter before' date then this error is easily fixed by a visit to immigration. Not sure how they will react to the 'overstay' but it's the only way to get legal anyway.

If you got 15 days at the airport then it's an obvious mistake so they should let you off, let us know how it goes.

I'll re-iterate the oft stated, ALWAYS CHECK your stamp before leaving the immigration area of the airport, it's far easier to get errors fixed there and then :)

Your visa indeed would still expire on November 11 and no change can be made to that. But there should be a permitted to stay until stamp allowing your stay until late January 2012. Have you checked all pages? This is sometimes not anywhere near the visa itself.

Latest stamp says "non re" 23 oct, until 11 nov (which is the expiry date of the one year visa).

The two week info came from a travel agent I visited this afternoon in my soi. I wasn't sure how much I could trust what he was saying though, as he quoted me 7000thb for a 30 day visa, which I could do once I've paid the overstay charge. He didn't seem to genuine to be honest.

It now appears you had a one year extension of stay from Immigration rather than a visa and a multi re-entry permit if that stamp is correct. What you are calling a visa was obtained where and on what date?

If appears you used a re-entry permit and obtained the correct/same expiration date of your extension of stay as you had before travel which is how extensions/re-entry permits work. You need to obtain a new one year extension of stay before it expires.

Now if you actually had a Consulate issued multi entry non immigrate visa the next question is did you obtain a re-entry permit for that for some reason? And what was the issue/expiration date and where issued?

Hi all,

So I'm close to ripping my hair out over all this! I'm getting conflicting views from everyone I seem to speak to.

Lop, hopefully this will make some sense to you. I originally entered Thailand in August 2010 on a 90 day, single entry, non O visa. The school my wife was working for then had that changed to the 12 month, multi entry, non O In the November. I can't see anywhere that states its an extension, only that it says that length of stay is until November this year.

I've been told by different people that I will now have to fly out, visit an embassy and fly back in again to get a new tourist visa (brief note here, my new job includes a non B visa, but I need a visa in my passport to start with apparently) at the same time, paying the overstay charge on my way out. (this person told me that if I go to immigration, they'll simply arrest me!!)

Others have said that skipping into Cambodia is an option and some say go to immigration, pay the charge then go out and back.

I'm happy to pay the overstay and sort out the tourist visa, but I need to do it ASAP as I'm seriously running low on funds, I therefore need to do it as cheap as possible.

What's your thoughts peeps??

Thanks again to everyone who's chipped in so far

Immigraiton inThailand does not hand out (mutiple non-O) visas, so what you would have gotten is an extension of stay as a dependent of your wife till Nov, possibly with a multiple re-entry permit.

Look to see if there is a stamp inyour passport that says "re-entry permit".

Overstay means you go to the airport with a ticket in hand and the fee for the overstay at 500 a day, with a maximum of 20,000 baht. Check in at the airline and proceed to immirgation. Immirgaiton will spot the oevrstay and send you to a desk to pay the fine and 10 minutes later you are on your way to the duty free shopping and airplane. You go to a Thai embassy and get a non-B visa without a problem about the overstay. Do get all the relevant paperwork to apply for a non-B visa

Skipping into Cambodia is not an option. You would be in trouble with Thailand because you made an illegal exit and with Cambodia because you made an illegal entry and could exect to be sentenced to a jail term.

As said you need to exit paying your overstay. If paperwork not yet available for your non immigrant B visa a tourist visa or 15-30 day visa exempt entry to return (land/air). You had a one year extension of stay and returned using a re-entry permit so got the same permitted to stay until November 11. It is best to do this with an airport exit to avoid any chance of police check near border and possible arrest.