Can I Entre Thailand With A One-Way Air Ticket

The requirement to have a visa OR proof of leaving the county within 30 days is from the Thai government, who genrally leave checking the requiremetn by the airlines. If an airline is caught taking a passenger who doesn't meet the requiremetns the airline must take the passenger back to the point of origin and pay a fine.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification, this answers the question of the OP.

To sum it up, some airlines don't check but that just means you are lucky, and it is their problem. An airline that checks before they let you board, is working according to regulations and requirements.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Air Malaysia cheated me two years ago on a sunday morning on Frankfurt Airport on my way to Phuket. I am living since 12 years in Thailand and proved that by showing my passport and told them, Germans dont need a Visa for 30 days. I had to buy another ticket from them, otherwise they dont let me boarding.....NEVER someone asked me in Thailand on arrival for showing a leaving Thailand ticket... Thats pure money making of the airlines...anyway, you should at least print out a flight, easy to do on most airline pages. ;)

They did *not* cheat you, they are just very strict with the regulations. I had to sign a form with them in 2006 that I would have to pay myself if rejected by Thai immigration or they would not let me board (and I was traveling upfront, btw).

In that case I had an e-ticket - on Malaysian as well, which the check in lady from Fraport didn't accept, saying it had to be a paper ticket. I said "print it then", she said "we can't here, only at the city office" - me: "that's not my problem". Finally, the signing of the form meant they let me board.

They are shown that everyone needs to have return ticket and they are very strict. I also had an issue with KLM in Barcelona once. They are all shitting their pants that they will be made to pay a big fine if you are rejected. And let's face it, the Thai's might just wake up one day and decide to really enforce this rule, ya never know... I was just incensed that my e-ticket - in this age of paperless tickets was not accepted.

Unfortunately they dont offered this service you mentioned above to me....with signing just a paper that I leave Thailand they wouldnt have made money....AND on a SUNDAY morning 40min before boarding they can do whatever they want, thats what I meant with cheating. Anyway, they sold me a one way ticket HKT to KL and if they are working like the regulations say, they cant do that either, because Malaysia can refuse ppl from entering the country with a one way too :lol: :jap: anyway, have a great Sunday

Most airlines would not accept train/bus as they would not be able to verify it on there air booking computers. But an air ticket to someplace you are allowed entry should be all that is required. Below is what airline see when they check the IATA database for travel to Thailand:

Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward

tickets could be refused entry.

Air Malaysia cheated me two years ago on a sunday morning on Frankfurt Airport on my way to Phuket. I am living since 12 years in Thailand and proved that by showing my passport and told them, Germans dont need a Visa for 30 days. I had to buy another ticket from them, otherwise they dont let me boarding.....NEVER someone asked me in Thailand on arrival for showing a leaving Thailand ticket... Thats pure money making of the airlines...anyway, you should at least print out a flight, easy to do on most airline pages. ;)

I'm not sure I understand. Do you have a visa that has allowed you to live in Thailand for the last 12 years and onwards? If this is the case you were cheated.

I am confused that you then mention that German's don't need a visa for 30 days - visa exempt I assume. If you are entering on visa -exempt assumption then they were entitled to ask for onward ticket. If this is the case you were not cheated. However, you shouldn't have needed to buy it from them. Any carrier will do.

You will never be asked for this onward ticket on arrival but the carrier is entitled to ask for it at origin check-in.

How do you print out this hypothetical onward flight on an airline's page without paying and confirming? Mai koh jai again.

For the last 5 years or so I have based in Thailand but flown out of Suvarnabhumi and back at least a couple of times a month and often more, almost always with the ticket to BKK being the return leg. I rely on my visa exempt status as an Australian and have no visa. Staff at check-in are perfectly entitled to insist on viewing my BKK onward ticket that I don't usually have. As posted earlier they are responsible for getting you out again in the unlikely event that you are refused entry on arrival in Thailand

I have had a hiccup 5 times - once from Sydney, once from Amsterdam and three times from Changi. 3 times I was well dressed, showed that I had a bit of a wad of cash in my wallet, a credit card and all was ok. On the two occasions that this did not suffice I once succeeded by very politely asking to see the supervisor and signed a waiver to say that I would take responsibility for any costs if I was to be refused entry on arrival in LOS. Once all failed and I had to go to the nearest internet to purchase and print an onward flight. I don't check-in last minute in case of these hiccups.

I accept that I have perhaps been lucky. It certainly is a nicer feeling to have your onward ticket to show if asked.

You had better check up if you can still do this the 30 day visa on arrival. They are now only giving you three 30 day visa's then it's a no return "WHAT EVER" for 90 day's. Just make sure, don't take it for granted. You might be red stamped (New Rule's) Started this month. They wan't everyone to have a visa. Unless your a holiday maker. Edited by fredob43

if an onward ticket is good enough you could just buy some $20 air asia ticket from hat yai to KL or something

is a bus or train ticket out considered an onward ticket?

I'm told that bus. train and other overland options are a bit dicey. Not sure why but someone will enlighten.

Edit - lopburi3 enlightened already. My slow typing.

Edited by andrew55

I'm not sure I understand. Do you have a visa that has allowed you to live in Thailand for the last 12 years and onwards? If this is the case you were cheated.

I am confused that you then mention that German's don't need a visa for 30 days - visa exempt I assume. If you are entering on visa -exempt assumption then they were entitled to ask for onward ticket. If this is the case you were not cheated. However, you shouldn't have needed to buy it from them. Any carrier will do.

You will never be asked for this onward ticket on arrival but the carrier is entitled to ask for it at origin check-in.

How do you print out this hypothetical onward flight on an airline's page without paying and confirming? Mai koh jai again.

For the last 5 years or so I have based in Thailand but flown out of Suvarnabhumi and back at least a couple of times a month and often more, almost always with the ticket to BKK being the return leg. I rely on my visa exempt status as an Australian and have no visa. Staff at check-in are perfectly entitled to insist on viewing my BKK onward ticket that I don't usually have. As posted earlier they are responsible for getting you out again in the unlikely event that you are refused entry on arrival in Thailand

I have had a hiccup 5 times - once from Sydney, once from Amsterdam and three times from Changi. 3 times I was well dressed, showed that I had a bit of a wad of cash in my wallet, a credit card and all was ok. On the two occasions that this did not suffice I once succeeded by very politely asking to see the supervisor and signed a waiver to say that I would take responsibility for any costs if I was to be refused entry on arrival in LOS. Once all failed and I had to go to the nearest internet to purchase and print an onward flight. I don't check-in last minute in case of these hiccups.

I accept that I have perhaps been lucky. It certainly is a nicer feeling to have your onward ticket to show if asked.

You had better check up if you can still do this the 30 day visa on arrival. They are now only giving you three 30 day visa's then it's a no return "WHAT EVER" for 90 day's. Just make sure, don't take it for granted. You might be red stamped (New Rule's) Started this month. They wan't everyone to have a visa. Unless your a holiday maker.

Thanks for the info fredob43. Is this reliable? I came in a few days ago on my zillionth entry (and that's only in the last 2 months!)

Please understand that I don't doubt you but would like some further clarification or an indication as to the credibility of your source.

Again not doubting your word but this would affect my life so I would like to enquire further if possible..

Appreciate your time.

Andrew.

You can argue this one all day, different people have different experiences on different airlines on different days.

Like any rules regarding anything to do with Thailand, it depends on the interpretation by the individual on the day.

I have been asked for visa by Etihad and Eva Airlines staff when flying from London or LA to Thailand, I have never been asked by Thai Airways staff nor Air Asia staff.

I have seen somebody refused boarding on this very issue so It's up to the individual if they want to take a chance or not, but don't think you can argue with the airline staff if they notice that you have a one way ticket and no visa.

Bottom line, you may get away but I wouldn't take the risk, they don't need to see an actual ticket by the way, a printed itinerary is sufficient.

You had better check up if you can still do this the 30 day visa on arrival. They are now only giving you three 30 day visa's then it's a no return "WHAT EVER" for 90 day's. Just make sure, don't take it for granted. You might be red stamped (New Rule's) Started this month. They wan't everyone to have a visa. Unless your a holiday maker.

Thanks for the info fredob43. Is this reliable? I came in a few days ago on my zillionth entry (and that's only in the last 2 months!)

Please understand that I don't doubt you but would like some further clarification or an indication as to the credibility of your source.

Again not doubting your word but this would affect my life so I would like to enquire further if possible..

Appreciate your time.

Andrew.

Well it's my interpretation of the new rule's I was in an English consulate 5/6 week's ago and they told me about new one's that were coming in and I could keep abreast of same by looking at their web site. www.thailand-visa.com I looked at the Birmingham consulate site, and it state's that only three will now be issued in succession then a 90 day block will be imposed. It's to stop people just doing tourist visa run's. I didn't know if this affected you I just gave you a head's up/find out before as you might get a red stamp. Best of luck please keep all informed how you get on.

Appreciate your time.

Andrew.

Well it's my interpretation of the new rule's I was in an English consulate 5/6 week's ago and they told me about new one's that were coming in and I could keep abreast of same by looking at their web site. www.thailand-visa.com I looked at the Birmingham consulate site, and it state's that only three will now be issued in succession then a 90 day block will be imposed. It's to stop people just doing tourist visa run's. I didn't know if this affected you I just gave you a head's up/find out before as you might get a red stamp. Best of luck please keep all informed how you get on.

It depends on the nationality of your passport. Some countries' citizens can apply for a visa on arrival. I have not heard about any restrictions of many times times you can do that in a row, though.

EU and US citizens do not get a visa on arrival, they are visa-exempt can can stay 30 days without visa. The interesting part in the website you linked above (which appears to be the Thai consulate in Birmingham, but it has a .com address, so is it real or a fake?) states that you can do that only three times in a row. This must be new, I never heard about this before. Note that the website does not show a date, so the information can be 20 years old for all we know.

If you get a tourist visa, it is usually for 60 days, and you get it at a consulate or embassy. Yes, restrictions have been reported about the number of visas that will be issued into any one passport.

You will not be granted a visa on arrival in Thailand with a one-way ticket. I'd advised you to apply an Thai tourist visa before you fly to Thailand, so that you can travel with a one-way ticket. Moreover, if you are departing from China, you are not allowed to leave the country without another country's visa, even though some countries would grant you visa on arrival.

Appreciate your time.

Andrew.

It depends on the nationality of your passport. Some countries' citizens can apply for a visa on arrival. I have not heard about any restrictions of many times times you can do that in a row, though.

EU and US citizens do not get a visa on arrival, they are visa-exempt can can stay 30 days without visa. The interesting part in the website you linked above (which appears to be the Thai consulate in Birmingham, but it has a .com address, so is it real or a fake?) states that you can do that only three times in a row. This must be new, I never heard about this before. Note that the website does not show a date, so the information can be 20 years old for all we know.

If you get a tourist visa, it is usually for 60 days, and you get it at a consulate or embassy. Yes, restrictions have been reported about the number of visas that will be issued into any one passport.

It may not give a date but if you look it state's that the cost for a M/Entry 0 visa is £125 and that has also just come in. £100 when I got mine 5/6 week's ago. I got the web site from their card that they gave me when I got my Visa. And yes new rule's. Same as the new one's for getting an 0 Visa cash £900 a month coming in or Married/Child.

You had better check up if you can still do this the 30 day visa on arrival. They are now only giving you three 30 day visa's then it's a no return "WHAT EVER" for 90 day's. Just make sure, don't take it for granted. You might be red stamped (New Rule's) Started this month. They wan't everyone to have a visa. Unless your a holiday maker

Fredo, do you have a link to an official site stating this new arrangement?

The notice on the Birmingham consulate website is undated :(

From the Royal Thai Embassy, London

Nationals of the United Kingdom and over 40 other countries are eligible to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and are permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 30 days. Therefore, you do not need a visa.

However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to at least 10,000 Baht (150 pounds) per person or 20,000 Baht (300 pounds) per family. Otherwise, you maybe inconvenienced upon entry into the country.

Furthermore, foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.

The list of the 41 countries could be found at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand’s website (www.mfa.go.th ) or (www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk)

You'll need to click on question 1 to see the above.

Thanks 7by7, looks like a re-hash of the rule which was removed when the 15 days at land entries was started.

Thanks to Fredo43 for the heads-up.

EDIT. The New York consulate site has a similar message here http://www.thaiconsulnewyork.com/english/who.php

Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist Visa Exemption category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay not to exceed 90 days within 6 months of the date of first entry (Passports must be valid for at least 6 months)

So it's not a UK only glitch.

Thanks 7by7, looks like a re-hash of the rule which was removed when the 15 days at land entries was started.

Thanks to Fredo43 for the heads-up.

EDIT. The New York consulate site has a similar message here http://www.thaiconsu...english/who.php

Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist Visa Exemption category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay not to exceed 90 days within 6 months of the date of first entry (Passports must be valid for at least 6 months)

So it's not a UK only glitch.

I think it's world wide that's what I was told in the UK. Not 100% clear on the English consulate web site but as the US one confirm's no Visa or 30 day on arrival one, what ever the case maybe then out for 90 day's or three month's. I think at last we have got there. I'm now going to have a pint. I don't know how they call it a visa on arrival all I used to get was a small stamp giving the date to leave 30 day's. Edited by fredob43

I'm now going to have a pint.

Enjoy it Fredo, you earned it by giving us the heads up :)

Well where is it I thought at least as it's Christmas one would be on the door step. TIT I suppose. And while I'm at it a Merry one to all. Edited by fredob43

Well where is it I thought at least as it's Christmas one would be on the door step. TIT I suppose. And while I'm at it a Merry one to all.

Merry xmas to you also.

Guess that's off-topic. God bless. Or Buddha or Allah or.... up to you.smile.gif

Reason for edit - avoiding monotheism.

Edited by andrew55

Well where is it I thought at least as it's Christmas one would be on the door step. TIT I suppose. And while I'm at it a Merry one to all.

Merry xmas to you also.

Guess that's off-topic. God bless.

The onward travel etc is NOT an immigration requirement its an Airline thing as they will be heavily fined if you are found to be in Thailand after 30 days without the appropriate visa etc.and they carried you in. So, its all down to the airline and the staff on the day, there are plenty of threads here on both sides of the argument, some have been stopped, other have not, your choice but I wouldnt like to gamble and potentially ruin the trip before its even started.

If you do intend on staying more than 30 days then get a Tourist Visa to start with and you have no worries anywhere.

I was led to believe that if a tourist runs into problems in Thailand, then getting them home is the responsibility of the carrier that brought them in, at their expense, that is why they sometimes refuse people on a one way ticket, nothing to do with a fine.

The onward travel etc is NOT an immigration requirement its an Airline thing as they will be heavily fined if you are found to be in Thailand after 30 days without the appropriate visa etc.and they carried you in. So, its all down to the airline and the staff on the day, there are plenty of threads here on both sides of the argument, some have been stopped, other have not, your choice but I wouldnt like to gamble and potentially ruin the trip before its even started.

If you do intend on staying more than 30 days then get a Tourist Visa to start with and you have no worries anywhere.

I was led to believe that if a tourist runs into problems in Thailand, then getting them home is the responsibility of the carrier that brought them in, at their expense, that is why they sometimes refuse people on a one way ticket, nothing to do with a fine.

You should read Mario's posting #26 rather than believing CharlieH.

kurtmartens

About half the times I return home to Thailand from work, I have only a one way ticket. I've never been refused boarding or entry into Thailand. (Even before I had my multi entry "O", and was just coming in on a tourist stamp.) Both on Thai Airways and Emirates. Never asked to show a return ticket. Never questioned by the airline/ticket counter or Thai Immigration Officer. Might depend on nationality, behavior, etc. Who knows.

Round trip ticket, that is fully refundable? Open ended in case you use it in the future? - Those are the expensive kind !

----In the 50 years that I've been coming to Thailand, immigration has never asked to see an ongoing ticket. You mention customs but they currently seem to be out of business except for the bevy of captains and majors standing around chatting----

kurtmartens

About half the times I return home to Thailand from work, I have only a one way ticket. I've never been refused boarding or entry into Thailand. (Even before I had my multi entry "O", and was just coming in on a tourist stamp.) Both on Thai Airways and Emirates. Never asked to show a return ticket. Never questioned by the airline/ticket counter or Thai Immigration Officer. Might depend on nationality, behavior, etc. Who knows.

Round trip ticket, that is fully refundable? Open ended in case you use it in the future? - Those are the expensive kind !

----In the 50 years that I've been coming to Thailand, immigration has never asked to see an ongoing ticket. You mention customs but they currently seem to be out of business except for the bevy of captains and majors standing around chatting----

I am agreeing with you. The bottom line...you dress like you can afford to be here, you have no issues...you show up at the airport looking like a backpacker...well....

I am agreeing with you. The bottom line...you dress like you can afford to be here, you have no issues...you show up at the airport looking like a backpacker...well....

And yet there are many backpackers in Thailand. How do you explain this?

Prostitute users > backpackers?

If you run into trouble with the police and are expelled, you have to get a ticket out of the country. It is your own repsonsibility and immigration can and will detain you untill you have a flight out.

The airline mght allow you to go home on another date than for wich you booked your ticket, but that depends on the conditions of the ticket, seat availebility etc. The only requirement the airline has is to check if you meet the entry requirements and to honour the contract with you.

And yet there are many backpackers in Thailand. How do you explain this?

Prostitute users > backpackers?

Unfathomable too!, I agree with Clarkson, they should all be taken out to long term parking & shot.

whistling.gif

Edit:- doh, that's backpackers, not ladies of the night.

Edited by phutoie2

the first time i came to thailand i flew in on a one way ticket from the philipinnes , thai immigration wouldn't let me through until i told them where i was staying etc , i told them i had no plans until i remembered i had written kosan road on a piece of paper that i could show them.

i have flown many times into thailand on one way tickets since but just the once i have been asked about a visa at check in that was on the only long haul flight i have done from london to bkk with eva air this year , so maybe this is a new thing that's being checked ?

maybe you should just book a cheap flight for the first leg of your trip or find one ready to book in case you can't check in.

here's a link for some routes :

http://www.seat61.com/Cambodia.htm

i'm sure there's plenty of other info. available too.

i flew from samui to phnom penn then bus to siam reap and another bus back to bkk all very easy to find, hotels and guest houses can help or there's many travel shops.

you may need to get a visa for vietnam ?

luang prabang area is a popular traveller destination .

the airline has said to you if you get a visa they will let you land and it's upto thai immigration to let you through, you must have asked the wrong question to them,

the 30 day enter on arrival isn't a visa it's called a 30 day visa exempt entry, you need to find out from the airline if you'll be allowed to check in if you don't have a visa with just a one way ticket,

but whatever answer they give you just don't know on the day when you goto check in.

other choice is to just book a cheap air ticket with say air asia from bkk to KL or something with in the 30 days , with some air asia flights you can change all the details for about 20 pounds fee if you want to use the flight for something.

maybe you could try to check in at the airport first with your one way ticket and if they say no you need a flight out then goto a computer or if you have a laptop and book a cheapflight out of thailand to show the check in staff.

or just tell them your a traveller and leaving thailand before the 30 days , tell them your plans etc.

Thank all for your detailed reply. It is very kind of all of you.

To sum up, I have got the visa before I leave my country. So all the problems are sloved? Right?

I have asked the airline. The airline gives me a not very sure answer, they said they will not refuse me to land on the plane with a one way ticket and visa.

First hand I can tell you they usually don't check your return air ticket at Thai immigration. I have NEVER been checked. I fly in and out about 5 times a year from the US. I fly in 8 times a year if you include side trips in and out of Thailand. I stay from two weeks to three months. The last time I entered Thailand, two months ago, they asked me how long I would be here. It was the only time I've been asked that at immigration. Of course I answered 30 days. I had no problem with immigration. I did have a problem getting my boarding pass in Chicago because I have a round trip ticket for four months. They said they had to see something with my name on it leaving the country in a month or a visa good for four months. I told them I get the 30 day entry stamp and just leave before it is expired. They told me the airline gets fined if I overstay with no outward ticket and they need proof of my intent to leave. So, I panicked for a few minutes and three staff members called people, looked on the internet, and looked at a book of rules to see if there was any way around the airline rule. Nope, I needed something out of the country. When my mind stopped racing, I got on the internet with my I-Phone and bought a train ticket to Nong Kia and showed them the confirmation page. Never mind that Nong Kia is in Thailand, I didn't tell them that. Even stranger, my friend who was checking in at the same time with the same itinerary was given a ticket because she had a used (and expired) 60 day tourist visa from last year. We were flying ANA and were being helped by United staff.