Common Law Marriage Time Period

cigar7

I understand that a new law was recently passed which defines the time period for a common law marriage. To me a "common law" marriage is when 2 people become legally married because they have lived together, or co-habitated, for a certain period of time.

Can anyone tell me what is the definition of "common law" marriage in Thailand currently?

If I and my girlfriend live in the same apartment/house/condo for 3 contiguous months, does Thai law assume we are married?

If I and my girlfriend live in the same apartment/house/condo for 3 months over a period of 1 year, does Thai law assume we are married?

Is Thai family law applied the same to "common law" marriages as it is to marriages which are documented legally?

There is no common law marriage in Thailand. Either you marry at the amphur by having the marriage registered or you are simply not married.

In addition, Thai law doesn't know alimony, only child support if there are children.

I like these answers!!!

Any more opinions/answers??

In addition, Thai law doesn't know alimony, only child support if there are children.

But they do have common marriage property laws and can put split of retirement income as well as other assets into divorce paperwork.

But they do have common marriage property laws and can put split of retirement income as well as other assets into divorce paperwork.

Does this mean that if one lives together with a woman, for a certain period of time, the law deems the couple married? In the event that the couple separate in this deemed marriage, property and income needs to be divided between the couple?

Does this mean that if one lives together with a woman, for a certain period of time, the law deems the couple married? In the event that the couple separate in this deemed marriage, property and income needs to be divided between the couple?

You can't own property in Thailand!

As said, Thai law doesn't know alimony and under a legal marriage one would only split the assest (including debts) aquired during the marriage. Everything you had before is left out.

There is no legal common marriage in Thailand. But if you live together you will get that assets are mixed. That starts with the traditional wedding ceremony where people give presents and money, which are meant for both or even land or a house that is given as a "wedding" present to both and when a TV for the home is bought.

A foreigner can own property, but not land. In case land has to be split up, the foreigner is either bought off or the land is sold and the porfits are shared.

I'm not sure about the splitting of retirement income.

Some countries will give rights to people who live together for a minimum period of time, and under circumstances one might be able to make a claim under the law of that country.

I would also advise caution regarding ever signing the "asset is considered wifes from before marriage" paper at the land department

I have seen with my own eyes when a family court judge held exactly that paper up in court and said that the farang father cannot get anything, not a single baht

Thin was 6-October this year, Pathum Thani court