I was registered in Germany for years and had a paypal account under my address and bank account there.

I can't change my address from "Germany" to "Thailand" - it's not an option and I can't link my paypal to my Thai bank account (I can only choose between Germany or USA).

What do I have to do? Open a new paypal account in Thailand?

I simply assumed it would be easy to change it...

I'd be very careful about trying to change anything on an existing Paypal Account, any hint of what Paypal euphemistically calls "unusual activity" and you may easily find your Account - and Funds - blocked, then have a h##l of a time getting the problem resolved.

This Website details many instances : http://paypalsucks.com/

Far better to open a new Account in my opinion.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Dont do anything remotely unusual or you will regret it big time.

Open an new account, from Thailand you will then be dealing with Paypal Singapore, in my experience, easy to deal with, very helpful and no issues to date.

Easy and straight forward to set-up.

Opened my paypal account in the UK 7 years ago, moved here nearly 6 years ago and have been using it with no problems.

Haven't changed my UK address in that time, (not possible to change countries on the account) all my money gets transferred to my UK bank and I transfer it here when needed.

The rules may be stricter nowadays, I would suggest keeping your German paypal account and transfer the money to your German bank, however I would also suggest using a proxy server to sign in to your paypal account to be on the safe side.

I also opened a Thai paypal account last year just in case a problem arises but have not needed to use it yet.

I'd be very careful about trying to change anything on an existing Paypal Account, any hint of what Paypal euphemistically calls "unusual activity" and you may easily find your Account - and Funds - blocked, then have a h##l of a time getting the problem resolved.

Patrick

+1 from experience...

I would NOT use a proxy server to login to your PayPal account. Last year, my PayPal ( USA ) account was locked because PayPal detected the use of a proxy server. It was the first and last time I tried that.

Opened my paypal account in the UK 7 years ago, moved here nearly 6 years ago and have been using it with no problems.

Haven't changed my UK address in that time, (not possible to change countries on the account) all my money gets transferred to my UK bank and I transfer it here when needed.

The rules may be stricter nowadays, I would suggest keeping your German paypal account and transfer the money to your German bank, however I would also suggest using a proxy server to sign in to your paypal account to be on the safe side.

I also opened a Thai paypal account last year just in case a problem arises but have not needed to use it yet.

I would NOT use a proxy server to login to your PayPal account. Last year, my PayPal ( USA ) account was locked because PayPal detected the use of a proxy server. It was the first and last time I tried that.

It was just a suggestion but thanks for letting the OP know.

I have never changed my UK address and have never had a issue logging into my Paypal account from here in 6 years, maybe just lucky I guess although a friend does the same as me and has never had issues either.

beware of the terrible exchange rates when sending money to Thailand via Paypal, it is way worse than anything else...

This is true, but note that they don't charge any transfer fee... (banks normally charge $25-$45 fee on SWIFT transfers etc..). So for transfers of less than about 30,000THB paypal is cheaper, over that then Bank transfer would probably be cheaper.

Edited by dave111223

beware of the terrible exchange rates when sending money to Thailand via Paypal, it is way worse than anything else...

Actually about 8% worse than the ripp off bank rates !!!!!

Current Paypal rate: 29.9663

Current Bangkok Bank rate: 30.70

Difference: 2.39%

Where are you getting 8%?

Thanks to everybody who shared their advice and experience with this issue. Just a brief update for anyone who might be in a similar situation. I created a new paypal account for Thailand (no problem) and just added my bank account details (with Bangkok Bank). Am now just waiting for paypal to make two deposits on my Bangkok Bank and I then enter these amounts to confirm my paypal account is legit.

Thanks again!

I have just opened a Paypal account here in Thailand and I was reminded that I still had an account in New Zealand which I had forgotten about.

The Paypal people in Singapore explained to me how to close my account and how to open one in Thailand.

I had tried before but it was all in Thai and they wrote clear and simple instructions on how to apply English language to it.

They say that they will send 2 small deposits to the bank and then I can confirm the account. They did, 6 satang and 20 satang. the amounts were so small I missed them.

They showed me, once again what to look for and how to confirm the account. Also how to add another currency and another email account.

Their helpline is very good and I generally got a reply the next day.

Though I haven't used the account yet the help I have been given was really great and I sent another email telling them that.

There's usually a 3-4% fee on top of transactions also, unless its a personal gift which doesnt always work.

There's usually a 3-4% fee on top of transactions also, unless its a personal gift which doesnt always work.

Fees charged on sales transactions should be considering separately from transfer fees. Any bank is going to charge you processing fees if you start processing credit cards etc... (plus month fees etc..)

There are no fees related to making transfers; for example if i have a Paypal account which is linked to both a Thai and US bank account. I could deposit funds into the Paypal account from US bank (no fees) then withdraw the funds to my Thai bank (again no fees).

And as previously discussed you get hit with the bad exchange rate which essentially acts as the "fee".

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I have an application that has a paypal button on it. I looked at how to set it up, in case someone asks me to help them out. I changed the account frm Personal to Business just to see what it takes. The next day, they killed the account, and sent a message to my e-mail box. "What's your problem" I was not allowed to change anything.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Still on the topic of paypal. Well I received the code to activate / confirm my bank account and now my paypal account is up and running. However, I only have US$ and THB accounts. Can I add Euro accounts too and if so "how"? Can't find this option on the site... Thanks again.

I remember reading a help file in paypal thailand that specifically mentioned that you must open an account in the country you are located in to link that country's local bank account. You are allowed to have more than 1 paypal account, just use different email addresses.

Also, use a VPS or VPN to login to your paypal account if you want to appear "local" to paypal servers. Avoid using proxies.

can someone describe the advantages of having a PayPal account? I do all my UK bank-to-Thailand bank movements using swift transfers (dispatch in foreign currency from an overseas foreign currency account and convert with the thai bank) and online purchases ie, air tickets, hotel bookings, amazon.com, etc using a UK credit card and 'verified by visa' with no problems or hassle...is PayPal 'cheaper'?

Edited by tutsiwarrior