Honesty In Thailand

davey26

Maybe to some this is only a small thing, but i want to share my story to make some realise that the falang will not be taken advantage of everytime in LOS.

Yesterday i went to my local store, where im not such a regular, but a familiar face, and i was given 30thb back to me, with both the shop owners hands wrapped around mine to hand it back, and a smile to add. When i questioned this, the shop owner (in broken english) explained that the last time i was in, that her friend who was minding the shop for a short time, overcharged me on the products i bought. Obviously her friend was unsure about the total price in the first place (as was i, but wasnt too concerned) , and she has passed this on to the owner.

Even though to me it is a small amount,I thought that this was a fantastic display of honesty, and it made sure that i will be a regular customer from now on. I thought that sharing my experience may go to show that the falang doesnt always get ripped off. Anybody else have a same experience with some great Thai people, rather than all the haters out there who think the falang is always being ripped off?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice story, Davey. I have many, but here is one. A while back, I was trying to find a new battery for my old cell phone but could not find it anywhere (outdated). Finally went to this small cell phone stall and at first, the guy and gal told me they didn't carry it (nor was it being manufactured anymore). Anyways, the guy said "wait a minute" and found a similar phone to mine, took out the battery, and just gave it to me. I tried to pay for it but he wouldn't have it. Said it was a used phone anyways. Like your story, we're not talking a huge amount. But nice gesture nevertheless, and from folks who aren't exactly swimming in money.

Doesnt matter if you really did get overcharged or not. The owner has now bought your patronage for 30 bht ;)

Unfortunately, I suspect this is right. An excellent PR ploy.

How on earth would they know that an assistant had overcharged you by 30 bht?

HOWEVER, my local store (that I visit every now and again) handed me 300 bht(!) a few months ago, telling me that I had been overcharged! I can't remember why or how, but it made sense at the time.

I'm now wondering whether it was just a ploy as they realised that I live here :(....

Whilst there are honest and dishonest people everywhere, I tend to find in Thailand, honesty in inversely related to the amount of dealings the local has with tourists.

Thus, say, a vendor on Patong beach is far less likely to be honest than a store owner in rural Chantaburi. Having said that, it pays to keep your wits about you as much as you can.

In my experience, mistakes made when receiving the change from a purchase have been in my favor 90% of the time, i.e. getting too much change back. I always return the extra, realizing that the money situation is generally difficult for many Thais.

I used to date a girl who came from a very wealthy family. One day when we completed our purchase at a Tesco Lotus store, I realized that I had been given 300 baht too much change, so I pointed it out to my GF and asked her to return it, thinking that it would be easier for her to explain to the cashier why she was being handed 300 baht. Instead, my ex-gf, said "never mind" and put it in her purse. I said nothing to her about her unkind actions but it haunted me for a while. Perhaps she thought that it was big business that was losing the money, but I was quite sure the poor cashier would be the one held accountable for it, and it would be deducted baht for baht from her wages. I really do regret not explaining that to my ex-gf and insisting that she give it to the cashier.

In my experience, mistakes made when receiving the change from a purchase have been in my favor 90% of the time, i.e. getting too much change back. I always return the extra, realizing that the money situation is generally difficult for many Thais.

I used to date a girl who came from a very wealthy family. One day when we completed our purchase at a Tesco Lotus store, I realized that I had been given 300 baht too much change, so I pointed it out to my GF and asked her to return it, thinking that it would be easier for her to explain to the cashier why she was being handed 300 baht. Instead, my ex-gf, said "never mind" and put it in her purse. I said nothing to her about her unkind actions but it haunted me for a while. Perhaps she thought that it was big business that was losing the money, but I was quite sure the poor cashier would be the one held accountable for it, and it would be deducted baht for baht from her wages. I really do regret not explaining that to my ex-gf and insisting that she give it to the cashier.

Perhaps the managers of the shop were near and likely to sack the girl if such an error was pointed out?

After renting a house for two months asked the landlord how much electric we owe his reply don't worry you never use air con no charge,weather you get ripped off alot is all to do with the area you live and the thai people you surround yourself with.

You can never win against the cynics.... "Now the Owner has bought your patronage for 30 baht" ??? come on, are some of you so bitter that this is all you see ?

The Op has posted a positive experience on a forum much more frequently populated by negative ones. People find something wrong with this ?

Perhaps the managers of the shop were near and likely to sack the girl if such an error was pointed out?

It was a Tesco Lotus, and I'm quite sure my ex didn't assess the situation to determine if the cashier's supervisor was around, but I understand your point.

You can never win against the cynics.... "Now the Owner has bought your patronage for 30 baht" ??? come on, are some of you so bitter that this is all you see ?

The Op has posted a positive experience on a forum much more frequently populated by negative ones. People find something wrong with this ?

+1

Nice story :-) Sometimes it works the other way too. I was given much too much change a couple of weeks ago; I noticed it straight away and handed it back. Actually, I know the store owner anyway, so I can't really draw any moralistic conclusions from it, otherwise I'd say something like "now the cashier knows that not all farangs are curmudgeonly old gits" - oops!

I agree. Whilst I'm occasionally irritated by the local freelance transport providers here on Phuket and have been here long enough to be aware of which tourist targeted establishments to avoid, I do feel the 'buying of patronage for 30 baht' and even more '300 baht'?! stretching credulity too far.

Some posters should simply lighten up, get out of their farang ghettos and stop getting involved in their equally cynically minded chums slag off theThais fests. A little more perspective and less paranoia would give those types a more enjoyable living experience here.

Nice story :-) Sometimes it works the other way too. I was given much too much change a couple of weeks ago; I noticed it straight away and handed it back. Actually, I know the store owner anyway, so I can't really draw any moralistic conclusions from it, otherwise I'd say something like "now the cashier knows that not all farangs are curmudgeonly old gits" - oops!

If there's one thing they do know it is that not all farang are curmudgeonly old gits.... Most are v generous.

I agree. Whilst I'm occasionally irritated by the local freelance transport providers here on Phuket and have been here long enough to be aware of which tourist targeted establishments to avoid, I do feel the 'buying of patronage for 30 baht' and even more '300 baht'?! stretching credulity too far.

Some posters should simply lighten up, get out of their farang ghettos and stop getting involved in their equally cynically minded chums slag off theThais fests. A little more perspective and less paranoia would give those types a more enjoyable living experience here.

You need to find yourself a taxi driver. The price WILL go up over time, but at least it will never be entirely ridiculous and, if you're lucky, they will come out at ridiculous hours unless they're not in town.

+1

+2

I was buying dinner at the local market - which was very busy. Ordered, received my bag, paid and left.

The shop owner had her friend chase me down - she spoke not a word of English - and motioned me back to the vendor.

I had ordered two of - and she realized after I had left that she gave me only one.

Nice one.

Doesnt matter if you really did get overcharged or not. The owner has now bought your patronage for 30 bht ;)

What a load of crap. :rolleyes:

Try responding to the whole post, rather than a selected snippet.

Ohhh please guys come on, a whole thread about amazing Thailand and its 30 bht refund :rolleyes:

A whole thread all about one USA dollar?

You all think shop owners are so desperately poor that this is front page news? good grief..

Nobody claimed it was "front page news", just a 'nice' story that elicited replies.

A few times I've had local type food places running after me down the street wanting to give my tip back thinking I'd just forgotten or not noticed the change on the table

A car owner dutifully paid up after reversing in to my truck.

I've been allowed to run sizeable tabs in many shops; pubs and guesthouses.

One place by the beach I know still has book for your room and you can help yourself to the drinks fridge and just write it in the book; same as it was several places when I first started coming here 10+ years ago at the bottom end of the Market when it was more family run local type oldskool honesty rather than money hungry investors and staff just working for the mans pittance and probably now more inclined to supplement their meger wages with a few bht miscalculation here and there when watching fat old Falang drop a months wages equivalent in a day or two of debautry.

Also, to be fair it's alot of dishonest Falang distorted the innocence / assumption of honesty that existed before mass tourism to the location, by running up a tab and ducking out for exapmle. Same things I've observed happening in loas in quicker time scale than Thai.

I've lost out to some dishonesty; but really it's all just swings and roundabouts; let it be on their karma and not let it upset you.

Ohhh please guys come on, a whole thread about amazing Thailand and its 30 bht refund :rolleyes:

A whole thread all about one USA dollar?

You all think shop owners are so desperately poor that this is front page news? good grief..

No but it makes a change from the Thai Bashers who regularly fill dozens of pages with their rants....

But heres another nice story...

A neighbour rang me in a panic, he was on his way to Bkk and when reaching Udon airport realised he had left his bank card at the ATM about 1Km from where we live. (he said he may have left it on top of the machine in a plastic wallet while putting his cash away) I motored down there but it wasn't to be found.

The plastic wallet also had his address in Thai, on his return from Bkk the wallet and card was in his mailbox.

What a load of crap. :rolleyes:

Try responding to the whole post, rather than a selected snippet.

The selected snippet is what I was responding to.