Tonight'S Lunar Eclipse (Sat 10 December 2011) In Thailand

tommet

Hi, a late note for sky-watchers and other romantics in Thailand:

Thailand and Asia should have a good view of a perfect eclipse of the moon on Saturday night, December 10.Here in Isan the skies have been windy and very clear for several nights now. In our small village there will be singing monks and singing kites to add to the moody atmosphere.

Here are the eclipse times for Thailand (adjust for your time zone - all of Asia will be able to see the eclipse if there's a clear sky):

Tonight the moon will rise in Thailand at 5.40pm, about 10 minutes before the sun sets.

About an hour later, from 6.33pm, the moon's trailing (western) edge will start to change colour to yellow and red, as the full moon falls out of the sun's direct light and deeper into the shadow of the earth.

The entire surface of the moon will turn dark red for 51 minutes during the peak of the eclipse, between 9.06pm and 9:57pm Thailand time.

The moon emerges completely from the earth's shadow half an hour after midnight, Sunday morning 0:31am.

The details of the eclipse in Universal Time (GMT) can be found at this NASA (PDF) document:

http://eclipse.gsfc....H2011-Fig06.pdf

The Thailand times (Satuday 10 Dec2011) for the eclipse phases P1 to P4 on the NASA document are:

Moonrise= 17:40

Sunset= 17:51

P1= 18:33

U1= 19:45

U2 = 21:06

U3= 21:57

U4= 23:17

P4= 00:31 (Sunday morning)

Sunrise 06:31

Moonset 06:53

There's a Nasa video about this lunar eclipse here:

Edited by tommet

Thanks for that, tommet. Interesting stuff. Looking forward to some pool-side couches with a couple of drinks, friends and binoculars.

Here is a good description I found at http://www.weather.gov.hk/gts/astron2011/lunar_eclipse_e.htm (go there for the images referred to below which are very helpful to fully understand the text).

Lunar Eclipse

The earth throws a long shadow behind the side facing the sun. A lunar eclipse occurs when the moon enters the earth's shadow. This shadow has two parts: the total shadow called the umbra and the partial shadow termed the penumbra.  (See Fig. 1)

If the moon becomes completely immersed into the umbra, a total eclipse occurs; and if only a portion of it falls into the umbra, a partial eclipse occurs.

During totality, the moon is not completely invisible.  This is due to the fact that some sunlight are refracted by the earth's thin atmosphere into the umbra and illuminate the moon, making it coppery-red in colour.  Its brightness varies for different total eclipses depending on the geometry of the moon's path through the umbra and also on the earth's atmospheric conditions. 

Sometimes the moon only enters the penumbra without touching the umbra. This is a penumbral lunar eclipse. During a penumbral lunar eclipse, only the apparent brightness of the moon will become dimmer but the limb of the moon will not be obscured by the earth's shadow.

Figure 1

Different Stages in Lunar Eclipse

There are 7 stages during the occurrence of an eclipse: 

1. "Moon enters penumbra" - the first contact of the moon and the earth's penumbra

2. "Moon enters umbra" - when the moon enters the earth's umbra, this is the start of partial lunar eclipse

3. "Total eclipse begins" - when the moon touches the umbra internally, at this time, the moon is totally immersed in the umbra and total eclipse starts

4. "Middle of eclipse" - occurs when the centre of the moon is closest to the centre of the earth's umbra

5. "Total eclipse ends" - when the moon touches the umbra internally again, this signifies the end of total eclipse

6. "Moon leaves umbra" - the time when the moon touches the umbra externally, this is the end of partial lunar eclipse

7. "Moon leaves penumbra" - when the moons leaves the penumbra

During a partial eclipse, the "total eclipse begins" and "total eclipse ends" would not occur.  In a penumbral eclipse, there would only be "moon enters penumbra",  "middle of eclipse" and "moon leaves penumbra".

Figure 2         The different stages during a lunar eclipse

Technically the eclipse has started now as the moon moves into the penumbra shadow. There are no colour changes visible yet from NE Thailand, where I am. We have cold clear skies and a beautiful bright moon over the Moon (Mun) River. The moon will start to enter the deeper umbra shadow at 19:45 thailand time, and totality from 21:06 to 21:57 thailand time.

I'm tweeting about it if anyone is interested, on twitter at @tm2020

Edited by tommet

Interestingly enough most of Thailands religious folks are out tonight praying to Phra Rahoo (spelling), he is the God that is offered everything in black, from incense to eggs, chickens grapes, all stuff black. The legend had it that he was the God that ate the moon and he is the God that is luckiest of all when it comes to praying for success in business and money, etc. My wife has the table laid in the Garden already and I am ready with three different sized balls and a torch to try and help the little girl understand whats happening. We are looking forward to a great family party in the garden, late eats and a couple of drinks. . I have to admit at aged 50 I don't think I have ever seen a full Lunar eclipse, only ever partial ones. I am right excited.

I am witnessing the whole sh*t right now and people around me are taking photos and throwing fireworks around...please what is special about this?:(

See my post just above. It has started down south about a third eclipsed already. The fireworks are to frighten Phra Rahoo so that he will stop swallowing the moon

Edited by GentlemanJim

Ok its happening here in Bangkok now, a full lunar eclipse . And its so clear sky and no winds.

Also we have fireworks outside , I think it is the Chinese.

Edited by balo

I am ready with three different sized balls and a torch to try and help the little girl understand whats happening.

If using the torch as the Sun, you would need just 2 balls - 1 each to represent the Earth and the Moon, no? :unsure:

Bangkok no tripod so pics arent so good

Those look just like the one's I took ;)

Yeah hahah you need a tripod a much better camera than mine and timer control as holding the camera still at that range is next to impossible, the ones above are lovely, also out of BKK would be better to much pollution

Edited by travelmann

Neighbors had a party last night. I don't think he knew what it was for, but his wife had all the relatives over. Lots of religious activities by the group along with appropriate chanting music. Great stuff.

There were 6-7 farangs and we had a blast watching the entire process from the garden. Fantastic. I've never seen something like this before.

Thanks for the heads up!!!! It was beautiful.

Great pics, mitmig!