Queueing Etiquette

xandreu

Being British, I'm hardwired to stand in a queue and wait my turn. Even if I'm at the front of the queue but I see that the person serving is busy doing something else, I'll patiently wait until they acknowledge me before I tell them what I'd like. I'm starting to realise however that this is not normal behavior in Thailand and often get the impression that Thai's not only show no gratitude for my "politeness", but they actually think I'm a bit of an idiot.

Today for example, I was waiting at a food counter in a food hall. One lady in front of me was being served so I stood behind her, waiting my turn as usual. A Thai guy behind me then tapped me and the shoulder and as I turned around he said "excuse me" (in English) and pushed past me. I assumed he was heading somewhere else and I was just stood in his way, but he simply walked up to the counter, stood next to the lady who was being served and placed his own order.

I'm starting to get used to people pushing in front of me in queues, but to actually be asked to move out of the way so that someone can push in front of me is a new one on me and it took all of my British reserve not to react (quite violently) to it. I was clearly waiting to be served, there could have been no other possible reason for me to have been stood there. Half of me wanted to push his head in the big pot of soup boiling away on the counter, and the other half of me was trying tell myself that this is Thailand and I've yet to learn these strange new ways of etiquette.

I did stare at him intently while he was being served, telepathically calling him all the names under the sun, but I then realised that he looked a bit gay and had to look away in case he misunderstood my attention.

I'm still wondering if this was just a one off case of a very rude guy or if this really is a case of "this is Thailand" and it's time I left my Britishness back home, manned up a little and started showing a bit more authority and confidence (and dare I say, rudeness) in the queue...?

Queueing is a peculiarly British trait which, whilst admirable for the discipline it entails, has no place here in Thailand, as the locals are now telling you. If you really want to protest the lack of discipline then be prepared to leave the store, vote with your feet because it's the sales attendant that must be held responsible, not everyone who walks into the store.

I may have been tempted, were I frustrated at the time I had been waiting, to tap him on the shoulder, and say "There's a queue here, mate". THough the English would have been lost on him, I am fairly sure he would have understood the sentiment. I used to get perilously irate at the taxi queue at On Nut BTS, though from time to time I received some muted approval from the more meek standing in line behind me, when I stepped in front of queue-jumpers. In the end, though, I decided it was easier to go for a couple of beers and avoid rush-hour... though that too had its perils....

SC

my experience with que jumpers out there and the best way to deal with them is to raise the voice to get their attention and point/gesture them to get behind you....be prepared for a fist fight though and if you resemble Charles Hawtrey be very prepared to get mugged off by all the old biddies :D

He may have thought that you were with the woman in front of you.

Either way, hardly anyone outside the UK has much idea about queuing unless they get a numbered ticket when they come in. When someone pushes past me I just say loudly and pointedly "Hey, there's a queue and it's behind me". It generally works. And if it makes them lose face or feel awkward or ill-mannered, so much the better.

When I lit upon this thread my first thought that came into my mind when my wife had done the same, literally,jumped the queue. At that moment I got really surprised and asked her not to do it again when i am around. But one thing I have missed, to ask the nature of this kind of jump - queuing manner. So I have quizzed her about it. Her point was, that time she didn't see others queueing, and also, sometimes, people are waiting for something else, not sure if they are there for the same reason :blink: She said many people have just no clue what the queue is about :huh:

So a brief summary: They don't realize the others are in the queue thus there is no ill-manner but lack of awareness

Queueing is a peculiarly British trait which, whilst admirable for the discipline it entails, has no place here in Thailand, as the locals are now telling you. If you really want to protest the lack of discipline then be prepared to leave the store, vote with your feet because it's the sales attendant that must be held responsible, not everyone who walks into the store.

Yes, we have to accept that they have no interest, or motivation, in learning the principle of queuing.

The store attendant will not take responsibility because (a.) they may share the same lack of recognition of any reason to queue and/or (b.) they are not inclined towards confrontation.

I also share a later view that many Thais lack spacial awareness and are simply unaware of anything except their own need to be served.

I was on the BTS the other day, at Siam, changing trains, and the queue discipline was exemplary

All alighting passengers were allowed off the train before those waiting started to board (not strictly true, I think as the last passengers were alighting from the centre of the doors, others were boarding at the sides)

SC

It used to be way worse. At least they know what a queue is nowadays. If someone tries to get in front of me, I just tell them and the person who is serving them that I was there first and usually have no problem getting served before the want-to-be rude creep. When I first came here, that would not have worked.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I also share a later view that many Thais lack spacial awareness and are simply unaware of anything except their own need to be served.

Accordingly, that's why I don't bother with 'trying to be British' and adopt this 'clueless guile' of the Thai when it comes to getting counter service. I happily walk up past those patiently waiting and no matter if there's only one worker already busy, I will state what I want. Most times, they will stop serving the Thai and serve the farang. Saves dicking about IMHO.

Accordingly, that's why I don't bother with 'trying to be British' and adopt this 'clueless guile' of the Thai when it comes to getting counter service. I happily walk up past those patiently waiting and no matter if there's only one worker already busy, I will state what I want. Most times, they will stop serving the Thai and serve the farang. Saves dicking about IMHO.

My wife is exactly like this and I must say that I don't like it. :(

My wife is exactly like this and I must say that I don't like it. :(

+1

And thus the poor image of farangs in Thailand.

Yes but, importantly, it's a poor image in the eyes of other farangs and not in the eyes of Thai people since they don't really care about such behavior, in light of that you have to ask yourself, should we?

Yes but, importantly, it's a poor image in the eyes of other farangs and not in the eyes of Thai people since they don't really care about such behavior, in light of that you have to ask yourself, should we?

You can't make a blanket statement like this about all Thais. Some really do care, and do stand in the queue. As Gandhi said "an eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind". Not a bad way to think about things.

Just be glad you aren't in China. You think it's bad here, it's mayhem there.

I have lived in India for 6 years...

Buying tickets, train/movies/etc, or supermarket/stores/whatever, its even worse than China (been there also)

At first i was behaving as a polite person but after little time i figured that adapting was a better solution. So 1 and sometimes 2 heads taller than the average Indian i never had to wait anymore, i just forced myself in a non-stop motion to the front and claimed whatever i needed to have or have done. I even got some angry Indian faces from time to time that i was better in this nonsense than they were. When there were situations where people had the decency to wait i ofcourse did the same thing and lined up.

Thailand is smooth and i dont get upset at all when 1 person skips me....ive seen hell already and cant be bothered anymore :)

Edited by Yaroon

Just be glad you aren't in China. You think it's bad here, it's mayhem there.

I have lived in India for 6 years...

Buying tickets, train/movies/etc, or supermarket/stores/whatever, its even worse than China (been there also)

At first i was behaving as a polite person but after little time i figured that adapting was a better solution. So 1 and sometimes 2 heads taller than the average Indian i never had to wait anymore, i just forced myself in a non-stop motion to the front and claimed whatever i needed to have or have done. I even got some angry Indian faces from time to time that i was better in this nonsense than they were. When there were situations where people had the decency to wait i ofcourse did the same thing and lined up.

Thailand is smooth and i dont get upset at all when 1 person skips me....ive seen hell already and cant be bothered anymore :)

For sure. I remember when I first started traveling years ago, a friend told me to visit China before India. That way, I'm prepared for India. And actually, it worked out great! India's a tough place to deal with. An assault on the senses for sure. But fantastic to visit!

In my opinion it is all a matter of situational awareness which is a trait that Thais just don't seem to have

They are not aware of other vehicles when they drive, they are not aware of others when they walk on a sidewalk, not aware of pedestrians when they turn into or out of a street and certainly not aware of other people in a line

It's funny that they are so polite when on a one-on-one situation but when they are in a mass, all that goes out the window

• Thanks 1

It used to be way worse. At least they know what a queue is nowadays. If someone tries to get in front of me, I just tell them and the person who is serving them that I was there first and usually have no problem getting served before the want-to-be rude creep. When I first came here, that would not have worked.

To be honest, what I find distressing, as a fair-play Brit, is not the lack of queue discipline, but the tolerance of queue-jumpers. If there is no taxi queue, I'm quite happy to walk out into the middle of the road and flag one down with the best of them. But when I and the person behind me, have queued for thirty minutes, I get incensed when soneone strolls up and flags down a taxi approaching the queue. At On Nut, there used to be a policeman stationed from time to time to enforce queue discipline in the rush-hour. I suppose I should have bunged hinm 50 baht once a week for his good work, and maybe he'd have been there more often...

SC

Ah yes....On Nut. Once a Thai guy jumped the taxi queue there so as he passed in the taxi I mimed pulling a gun out of my shirt and plugging him. This amused the Thai people standing nearby, so I felt better.

I once saw a Thai person politely tell another who TRIED to jump the queue to get to the back of the line...... and they did, as there were many people watching.

In my opinion it is all a matter of situational awareness which is a trait that Thais just don't seem to have

They are not aware of other vehicles when they drive, they are not aware of others when they walk on a sidewalk, not aware of pedestrians when they turn into or out of a street and certainly not aware of other people in a line

It's funny that they are so polite when on a one-on-one situation but when they are in a mass, all that goes out the window

Although most Thais queue politely, I agree with what Langsuan Man says.

However there is another explanation. Recently I was at the airport and a man with a small bag jumped the queue. I had to restrain myself from saying something, but once I was served I asked the counter staff what his story was. Apparently he had already waited in the queue but forgot one bag.

I think in this situation I too would try to get to the front, though I would try explain to the other passengers. What I'm saying is that you never know exactly what is going on. Best to use humor and mock outrage, so you don't look like a complete twit, or

"the ugly American / foreigner ", if you turn out to be wrong for some reason.

Edited by Latindancer

If he stood next to the lady being served and was able to place his own order at the same time,that means there was a servant available,means that you in fact were toooooo sloooooow with placing your order.

Many servers tend to ignore the foreigners and deal with the people that they can speak thai or in my case in Hong Kong cantonese. The servers will actually look at me then say something to people behind me then make a transaction with the person behind me. Old ladies will push and shove to get ahead of me and treat me like I am not there or even worse that I am there but not care.