Queueing Etiquette

xandreu

One example does not make it the norm.

No, people never used to queue at the Post Office, our postmaster had to put up a sign and start making people queue, guess this must have been about 7 years or so ago. People didn't queue to buy boat tickets or to get on the boat either, same with the bus station. Lots of people don't queue at the 7-11. Its marginally better now, but not significantly so much that I would say it is a part of the culture.

And besides, you completely missed my point, which is that queuing is not a universal norm of polite behavior around the world. A simple fact borne out by experiencing those cultures that do not queue.

No, people never used to queue at the Post Office, our postmaster had to put up a sign and start making people queue, guess this must have been about 7 years or so ago. People didn't queue to buy boat tickets or to get on the boat either, same with the bus station. Lots of people don't queue at the 7-11. Its marginally better now, but not significantly so much that I would say it is a part of the culture.

And besides, you completely missed my point, which is that queuing is not a universal norm of polite behavior around the world. A simple fact borne out by experiencing those cultures that do not queue.

My first experience at waiting for the bus at a road-side stop near our mid-sized town resulted in missing two buses, until I realized I would never get a ride until I jumped into the unorganized, jostling mob and fought it out with the rest of *em. Felt barbaric, but I got my bus! (finally). whistling.gif

I didn't miss your point - that's the reason why I didn't respond to that particular part of your post. I haven't been to India or China. Everywhere I have been people queue.

I'm interested in what you said about Thailand. I have never been to any area where queues are not the norm over my limited 6 years of experience here. They queue everywhere I go and I listed some examples in an earlier post.

Why has it changed? What happened 7 years ago which compelled Thais to start queuing for services?

Nothing compelled them, as has been related, many do not. I don't know, perhaps just more people, perhaps govt officials got tired of people pushing and started forcing people to queue (ala our Post Office).

But if you haven't been to countries that don't queue then you can't really make such a universal statement that its the norm when its not. Some countries do, some don't.

Nothing compelled them, as has been related, many do not. I don't know, perhaps just more people, perhaps govt officials got tired of people pushing and started forcing people to queue (ala our Post Office).

But if you haven't been to countries that don't queue then you can't really make such a universal statement that its the norm when its not. Some countries do, some don't.

You already made that clear. I will research queuing in China & India and consult some others who have been there to get a balanced view. Why? Because your assessment is that queuing is not part of Thai culture and queuing is not he norm whereas everywhere I go in Thailand everyone is queuing. An example of 2 people living in Thailand with totally opposite experiences.