Airasia - "Now Everyone Can Fly" - Really?

Shurup

Was checking flights from BKK to Bali last night. Checked 3 airlines, AirAsia, Thai and Singapore and believe it or not, Air Asia wasn't the cheapest one, it came a couple of baht behind the most expensive - Thai air, but it is the least convenient of all 3.

The cheapest one was Singapore at B16,000+ per ticket or B30,000+ for two (you get a discount for booking 2) and this airline is a star allience which gives me an access to the lounge. The only downside is it flies through S'pore and there is a few hrs lay over, which I don't mind as I will be drinking free beer at the lounge. :D

The most expensive was Thai air (of course, why am I not surprised? :D) at B19,300+ per ticket, straight to Bali.

Air Asia is cheap... when you travel empty. They nickel and dime you on everything possible and impossible (like choosing your seats B1,500 and B400+ fee to process your CC payment - like someone has a choice not pay that fee???) and after everything added up, it was B6,000 something short of Thai Air tickets (2 tickets), and that didn't include access to the lounge and you still have to take a bus to the plane and most likely walk out from the plane back to terminal once in Bali (never been there so don't know for certain).

All in all I was considering Thai air until I checked Singfapore air, glad I did...

It's not my first experience with AirAsia, they did a big f*** up a while ago which costed me money and could have screwed my holiday on Phi-Phi. Don't think I will be flying with them at all...

Yeah, it pays to comparison shop...most experienced travelers know that. Sometimes Air Asia is the cheapest, sometimes it's not. Like the last poster said, you can get amazing deals through Air Asia if you book far in advance and watch for their sales. In one of their recent big sales, I bought round-trip tickets to Bali (non-stop from BKK) for about 3800 baht each. That included a "hot seat" (one with bigger legroom) and a luggage allowance of 20kg, and of course all taxes & fees.

Air Asia is cheap... when you travel empty. They nickel and dime you on everything possible and impossible (like choosing your seats B1,500 and B400+ fee to process your CC payment - like someone has a choice not pay that fee???)

The hot seats only cost 350 baht, and the regular seats only cost 65 baht to reserve. But if you want to save money, you don't have to choose your seat at all. You'll still get a seat assigned to you. Yes, it's a little annoying that the online booking system sometimes automatically places you in the more expensive hot seats, but if you know how to read carefully, it's very easy to de-select those seats. When I book, the credit card processing fee is only 180 baht, not 400+ like you mentioned. Yeah, that fee is annoying too. But I think that there IS a way to avoid the fee - by using a specific credit card - but I've just been too lazy to sign up for that card. :)

I'm no Air Asia cheerleader. Sometimes they annoy me too, and I haven't been thrilled about the prices & fees slowly creeping up over the years. But it is what it is, and you get what you pay for. It's not a "scam," as some people have whined in other threads, to offer services (seat choice, luggage, meals, etc.) in an "a la carte" manner rather than using the all-inclusive model. Personally, I don't mind it, because I don't usually want the in-flight meals anyway, and sometimes I'm only traveling for a short time and don't need to check luggage. I'd rather not pay for things that I'm not going to use. You just have to be careful, do your research, and figure out which airline truly offers the best deal when you add in everything you want for a particular flight.

Very sensible reply, tonititan.

I've used Air Asia for BKK-CNX for years and never found all these "rip offs" and "scams" that some posters whine about. Just open your eyes, read what's on the screen and use your common sense, and, as tonititan said, you can save a fortune and pay only for what you want.

I understand that and may agree that there might be deals, but on the other hand, there might not and if you keep waiting for a deal that never came, you would end up paying high priced ticket cuz it's noo close to your departure date.

My departure date is about a month from now, not a last minute booking but not could have been / should have been earlier if I thought about going there earlier.

Was typing my OP from the memory so got somenumbers off a bit, seats booking 1400 baht, not 1500. 350x2 passengers x2 each way. and visa fee is 200. I just went back and rechecked. Oh, forgot 516 baht insurance which is not an option...

I checked different dates and I could have saved a few thousands baht if I was a little flexible on the dates (depart/arrive 4 days later than planned), plus 1000 on the seats (didn't notice they automatically put you on the hot seats). Still, unless you got a deal mentioned a few posts above, it's not worth flying with them. 30,800 with Singapore air is a tottaly different ride and me as a Star Alliance member, having priority check in, boarding, excess luggade and access to the lounge all that makes a big difference.

Here was the cost breakdown by the way:

Depart total[/url]14,640.00 THBRegular (BKK - DPS) 2 Guest @ 6,320.00 THB12,640.00 THBAPT - Airport Tax1,400.00 THBFUE - Fuel Surcharge600.00 THBReturn total11,780.00 THBRegular (DPS - BKK) 2 Guest @ 5,590.00 THB11,180.00 THBFUE - Fuel Surcharge600.00 THBServices, fees and insurance5,516.00 THBAdvance Seat Request Fee350.00 THBAdvance Seat Request Fee350.00 THBAdvance Seat Request Fee350.00 THBAdvance Seat Request Fee350.00 THBPre-booked Sports Equipment 20KG750.00 THBPre-booked Sports Equipment 20KG750.00 THBSupersize Large (up to 25KG)525.00 THBSupersize Large (up to 25KG)525.00 THBSupersize Large (up to 25KG)525.00 THBSupersize Large (up to 25KG)525.00 THBAirAsia Insure516.00 THBCurrent total31,936.00 THB + 200 CC fee

I understand that and may agree that there might be deals, but on the other hand, there might not and if you keep waiting for a deal that never came, you would end up paying high priced ticket cuz it's noo close to your departure date.

Just like every other airline in the world then.

Yeah, I definitely wasn't arguing that Air Asia was the best deal for you, because clearly it wasn't. I was just saying that yes, Air Asia is still a cheap airline under the right conditions. They might not be cheapest all of the time, but they do offer incredible deals that do allow more people to be able to travel. It's nearly impossible for any airline to always be cheapest, that's why we all shop around for the best deal. Luckily, there are a range of airlines out there to meet people's different preferences. I could care less about having access to a lounge or getting free beer. I don't mind standing in line with everyone else to check in. But I do strongly prefer non-stop flights, so I'll spend a little extra to avoid wasting time with layovers. Recently I booked a ticket on Thai Airways that was actually cheaper than both Bangkok Airways and Air Asia. Go figure. :)

And like I said before, almost all of those things you listed are optional. Not everyone needs the expensive advance seat assignments (or any advance seat assignment at all), or the supersize luggage allowance, or the large sports equipment allowance, or the insurance. (By the way, the insurance IS optional. When you book online, you get the chance to decline the insurance...again, you just have to read before you click. I've flown with Air Asia 15+ times over the years and never once paid for insurance.)

^I had an unusual experience with the Air Asia insurance option doing some web check-ins this week.

When I checked in myself (Farang) the "You are eligible for GoInsure" pop up appeared but when I checked in my (non-Farang)family it didn't.

Are they only targetting non Asians for the insurance?

^I had an unusual experience with the Air Asia insurance option doing some web check-ins this week.

When I checked in myself (Farang) the "You are eligible for GoInsure" pop up appeared but when I checked in my (non-Farang)family it didn't.

I believe they only offer the insurance for people under a certain age.

When I booked for my 76 years old mother Air Asia did not offer insurance.

I never pay for Air Asia insurance anyway as we have yearly travel insurance from another company.

Air Asia's insurance is never mandatory. And one month is not far enough in advance for most of Air Asia's super cheap deals. They offer their best deals 6-12 months out. I know people who have flown to Bali for free, other than the govt's mandatory taxes and fees. Yes, the "convenience fee" is annoying but all airlines are trying to find convenient ways to increase revenues.

Last week's rant was against Bangkok Airways. No airline is best for everyone.

I did look all over that page with insurance and couldn't find the opt out button or check mark. :S I wouldnt' let me proceed to the next step without taking it. It said though that I am eligible but gave me no option.

Yeah, I can't plan a half a year ahead to get a free flight or one of those super deals. :(

Yeah, I definitely wasn't arguing that Air Asia was the best deal for you, because clearly it wasn't. I was just saying that yes, Air Asia is still a cheap airline under the right conditions. They might not be cheapest all of the time, but they do offer incredible deals that do allow more people to be able to travel. It's nearly impossible for any airline to always be cheapest, that's why we all shop around for the best deal. Luckily, there are a range of airlines out there to meet people's different preferences. I could care less about having access to a lounge or getting free beer. I don't mind standing in line with everyone else to check in. But I do strongly prefer non-stop flights, so I'll spend a little extra to avoid wasting time with layovers. Recently I booked a ticket on Thai Airways that was actually cheaper than both Bangkok Airways and Air Asia. Go figure. :)

And like I said before, almost all of those things you listed are optional. Not everyone needs the expensive advance seat assignments (or any advance seat assignment at all), or the supersize luggage allowance, or the large sports equipment allowance, or the insurance. (By the way, the insurance IS optional. When you book online, you get the chance to decline the insurance...again, you just have to read before you click. I've flown with Air Asia 15+ times over the years and never once paid for insurance.)

I'm not saying you were arguing and I agree with what you said. Just pointing it out that unless you're traveling light or empty, it's not cheap and in this case higher end airline is preferrable and sometimes cheaper. That unless you get one of those crazy deals you mentioned.

I could care less about having access to a lounge or getting free beer. I don't mind standing in line with everyone else to check in. But I do strongly prefer non-stop flights, so I'll spend a little extra to avoid wasting time with layovers.

Free beer is not a deal breaker but I bet you would be glad to take a break in a lounge after 12-13 hrs flight (Vancouver - HKG) on your way to BKK. I make 5-6 round trip from Edmonton to BKK every year and that stop in Hong-Kong or Tokyo is very much welcomed. On a short trip I would also prefer a direct flight but if not, no biggie for me.

When you say "Anyone can fly" you mean as passengers? I only ask because TIT. ermm.gif

Well, that's their slogan. I suppose by this they want to say that all poor folks can fly who otherwise can't afford flying. Well, they still can't unless they got lucky with one of those super-deals.

I will try to watch AirAsia and see how often those deals come out.

OP omits a few things-or overlooks:

1. NOT anyone can just use the lounges of TH or SQ-ONLY GOlD members, or anyone with an C=bisnis ticket. Ar major AA ports, one can also choose to pay to use a lounge-though that is not theirs.

2. However, I think in THIS particular case-as he mentions in 1 month- the Chinese Nw Year may play part: thats the superpeak busy holiday upping fares. Perhaps less for SQ-as they mainly thrive on bisnis pax, who wont go around those dates.

3. it is daft common knwoledge that always the local heritage state-carrier is the most expensive, TH in this case. SQ may very well even ask for more for flights SIN-DPS as just for BKK-viaSIN- to DPS.

4. yes indeed, one has to actively dis-tort the ''offer'' for tr-insurance, by clicking on what seems to confirm. In fact AA may well be taken to a EU court (as they fly into FR and UK) as this is anti EU-law and I really would like to see how fast they adapt when they get threatened by court-procedures. FR is more likely as GB for this to act swiftly.

I think that there's one day of the week where there are awesome fares on selected flights on the AA website. Otherwise it is fairly common knowledge that the best fares are 6-12 months beforehand. The OP needs to consider that 'one month from now' is still pretty much in high season in Thailand and Indonesia so getting breaks on fares with any carrier is quite unlikely. Also, as mentioned here, the insurance is not mandatory; it's just you have to click 'Yes' where you would normally click 'No'.

Once again, not praising AA as I use them infrequently but for the most part, their service has been adequate, the fares not too bad and the young ladies they have working in the cabin are generally easier on the eye than the regular airlines.

My lowest point with them was having to use that byre of a LCT at KL airport. Certainly their advertising claims "Now everyone can fly" but for KL it needs the admonishment, "... but I wished half these buggers had used the bus instead."

Edited: way too much use of the word 'pretty'

Edited by NanLaew

Since an airline ticket can be expensive (when it is coming out of your pocket) it helps to look around. For a couple hundred baht more, I'll book a flight on another airline before forcing myself to deal with Air Aisia's bag of "tricks" on its booking website. Booking a flight should be truthful and easy. Not time full of zig-zags that add on extra costs. (and forget the insurance--it doesn't cover the cost if you have to cancel due to an emergency.)

I get very frustrated now using the Air Asia site and have frequently binned it and flown with another carrier. The latest thing that was annoying me was there is now a check in charge if you are unable to check in online - I avoided that by flying with Bangkok Air.

I am not saying they are super expensive or anything and the fleet is in good shape, I just get pissed of at their site sometimes - If I book with Nok it takes about 2 minutes but AA it takes 10 minutes dealing with their site

I just did a a series of flights on routes serviced by LCCs like Air Asia. The additional cost of the TG airfare was well worth it when I had flight changes and some flight delays. If I was doing 1 or 2 day trips on some FD routes then for sure Air Asia, or Nok Air would be great, when it comes to transfers, or anything where a delay or change might arise the LCC option is the worst choice as it will almost always cost more in terms of aggravation and opportunity costs.

Ive been very happy with Air Asia love the last couple of years.

inflight crew service is great and I never had to deal with ringing there customer service which a lot of people complain about.

I have had flights booked but was never going to change dates or anything so Air Asia has been great to me so far..... Fingers crossed :)

I have more than a hundred flights on the several AirAsia-versions (AK, FD, QZ,D7), but didn't have a single domestic flight in Thailand with them since more than two years.

they were ALWAYS more expensive than others.

Why pay 2.500 incl taxes, fees and luggage charges for a flight to Chiang Mai or Phuket, when you can get the same for 1790 or 1890 on Bangkok Airways, including 30 KG of luggage (just sign up for the FF-program and u already have the 30 KG allowance), free use of airport lounge including snacks and drinks, and even a snack on board.

Doubt it. I always give my Thai passport details and I'm always asked if I want it.

I use Air Asia when they are cheap. They aren't always and if the difference is not much I'll go for the higher priced full service carrier. But I do get cheap deals. Flex Jakarta to Singapore in October for $60. Quite good value. Their deals mid week to BKK to Phnom Penh are also reasonable.

I believe they only offer the insurance for people under a certain age.

When I booked for my 76 years old mother Air Asia did not offer insurance.

I never pay for Air Asia insurance anyway as we have yearly travel insurance from another company.

It wasn't an age issue as my wife and daughter are younger than me.

I did look all over that page with insurance and couldn't find the opt out button or check mark. :S I wouldnt' let me proceed to the next step without taking it. It said though that I am eligible but gave me no option.

Yeah, I can't plan a half a year ahead to get a free flight or one of those super deals. :(

yeah I agree FD/AK is expensive when booked just a few days ahead, BUT:

1500 Baht to choose your seat, 400 Baht CC-card processing fee ?

sorry, but are you SOBER ?

Yeah, I can't plan a half a year ahead to get a free flight or one of those super deals. sad.gif

yeah I agree FD/AK is expensive when booked just a few days ahead, BUT:

1500 Baht to choose your seat, 400 Baht CC-card processing fee ?

sorry, but are you SOBER ?

Complete and utter <deleted>!!

My wife and I flew Air Asia BKK-Hat Yai last Saturday, returned on Wednesday. I booked about 3 weeks in advance, the total for 2 of us was 5,108 Baht. It would have cost me about that in diesel to drive there from Rayong and back. There was no hassle with their service and the flights were on time, so as far as I'm concerned it was terrific value, and I'll be looking for other trips with them in the coming months.

If you don't want to buy the insurance, you don't have to. At the bottom of the paragraph offering the insurance, click on the word "cancel", a large window pops up, there are 2 buttons, "ok" and "cancel". When you click "cancel", it takes you back to the page and the box saying that you are declining the insurance is already checked, you just click "continue" and the insurance is removed from the booking.

If you have an SCB bank account, sign up for SCBEasy internet banking, it's free. Then you don't have to pay any booking fees for flights booked in THB (domestic or international round trips originating in Thailand). You can pay directly from your SCB bank account and avoid the booking fees.

"Yeah, that fee is annoying too. But I think that there IS a way to avoid the fee - by using a specific credit card - but I've just been too lazy to sign up for that card." When I looked into it about 18 months ago, it was for Malaysian residence only to get their card. It is a hidden tax, how do you pay otherwise? I think that Singapore airport is the best in the world to 'kill' a few hours, not including any special lounges even. I could kill 8hrs in Changie easily. BKK is another story though.

"Yeah, that fee is annoying too. But I think that there IS a way to avoid the fee - by using a specific credit card - but I've just been too lazy to sign up for that card." When I looked into it about 18 months ago, it was for Malaysian residence only to get their card. It is a hidden tax, how do you pay otherwise? I think that Singapore airport is the best in the world to 'kill' a few hours, not including any special lounges even. I could kill 8hrs in Changie easily. BKK is another story though.

There is a way for people in Thailand to avoid the fee:

I must admit it has been a couple of years since I made a booking that originated outside of Thailand and at the time I was unable to pay with my SCB account. It appears that since then they have changed their system to allow any AirAsia flight to be purchased in THB, which means you can pay directly from an SCB account. I tried a booking from PNH to BKK and they converted the USD amount to THB at a rate of 31.38 THB to the USD, I'm not sure if that is a good deal or not. If you have an SCB bank account, sign up for SCBEasy internet banking, it's free. Then you don't have to pay any booking fees You can pay directly from your SCB bank account and avoid the booking fees.

The example I gave earlier to decline the insurance was for a domestic Thailand flight and I noticed that the procedure to decline the insurance was different for flights between other countries, although I was still able to quickly decline the insurance.